[tor dot com] Five Fictional Space Colonies From the Post-Disco Era
2021-08-16 13:06:04 UTC
Five Fictional Space Colonies From the Post-Disco Era
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/16/five-fictional-space-colonies-from-the-post-disco-era/
2021-08-16 19:26:45 UTC
Five Fictional Space Colonies From the Post-Disco Era
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/16/five-fictional-space-colonies-from-the-post-disco-era/
I think that I am zero for five here. How about "Clarke County, Space"
by Allen Steele ?
https://www.amazon.com/Clarke-County-Space-Allen-Steele/dp/0712638954/

And "Orbital Decay" ?

https://www.amazon.com/Orbital-Decay-Near-space-Allen-Steele/dp/0441498515/

2021-09-02 04:01:02 UTC
Five Fictional Space Colonies From the Post-Disco Era
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/16/five-fictional-space-colonies-from-the-post-disco-era/
As a gamer I've sneered at Transhuman Space's space colonies as an
interesting setting to game in not because I dislike "cities" as such
but because they aren't bringing anything new to the table. They're
just cities. We have plenty of cities on Earth. Why would I bother
taking the campaign into space if there's nothing there that can't be
found on Earth?
Quadibloc
2021-09-02 12:09:46 UTC
Five Fictional Space Colonies From the Post-Disco Era
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/16/five-fictional-space-colonies-from-the-post-disco-era/
Cole and Cox were exactly right: nuclear weapons _would_ be less significant
if humans were dispersed across much larger distances.

While rocket launches are too expensive to directly deal with population
increase, if space colonies harbored a population thousands of times
greater than that of Earth, they might have the immense resources needed
to get people off of Earth.

However, I suspect that the only real way to move large numbers of people from
Earth is with uploading - an upload could bring along genetic material from his
or her former flesh body, so uploads could still reproduce once reaching space.

If people didn't need life-support, and could fit into a space the size of a matchbox,
sending people into space would be less difficult.