Tor Teen
Joe Bernstein
2019-10-27 23:12:26 UTC
Yesterday I read <Happily and Madly> by Alexis Bass. It had gotten
my attention by mentioning a "destiny" on the back cover of the ARC I
found, and by having the Tor mountain symbol, which in my experience
usually stands for fantasy, on its spine, labeled "Tor Teen".

It's an OK book, slow-burning thriller variety, though the author's
decision to have her narrator miss the final showdown will probably
not please anyone who picks the book up *because* it's a thriller.
The narrator is somewhere near an anti-heroine, which is at once
interesting and somewhat disturbing.

But anyway, the "destiny" turns out to be the prediction of an
admittedly fraudulent fortuneteller our narrator met as a child.
There's nothing else within a hundred miles of speculative fiction
in the book. (Which I don't expect to keep, so don't expect a more
detailed review from me, even if it were on-topic.)

It appears that Tor does publish a fair amount of non-speculative
fiction under its Teen imprint, and I have a very vague, quite
possibly invented, memory of non-speculative Tor books for adults
also using that mountain logo on their spines. So maybe I shouldn't
have been surprised, but, well, I was, and figured I'd bring it up
here and see if anyone else had anything to add.

-- JLB
James Nicoll
2019-10-27 23:30:11 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
It appears that Tor does publish a fair amount of non-speculative
fiction under its Teen imprint, and I have a very vague, quite
possibly invented, memory of non-speculative Tor books for adults
also using that mountain logo on their spines. So maybe I shouldn't
have been surprised, but, well, I was, and figured I'd bring it up
here and see if anyone else had anything to add.
I think the first Tor I read wasn't spec fic but a thriller called... A Good Death,
maybe? CIA agent discovers he is terminally ill, wants to have a soft life for his
last days, so he sells info to the Soviets and uses the money to retire.

Unfortunately he picks as the site of his retirement the same town a Eurocommunist
pundit has settled in. For various reasons both the US and SU send teams to deal
with this pundit. The US team is the rogue agent's former team. The KGB team turns
out to be the guys he sold the info to. Hijinks ensue.