Wow, did the comic book industry just cease to exist?
2020-03-25 04:53:59 UTC
Diamond Comics, basically the only comic book distributer, stops
accepting & shipping:

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/3/23/21191579/dc-marvel-diamond-comics-stops-shipping-new-books

Largest US comics distributor won't ship new books 'until
further notice' due to coronavirus
--

Diamond is the exclusive distributor -- shipping comics
from printers to retailers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics,

(Ie: basically everybody)

This is not an industry where the retailers are flush either. You are talking
shoestring operations in low rent locations.

What Lex Luthor, The Joker, The Green Goblin & Thanos couldn't do..
Probably declared a "non-essential business" by the governor.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-03-25 13:14:04 UTC
On 25 Mar 2020 at 04:53:59 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan <tednolan>>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Diamond Comics, basically the only comic book distributer, stops
https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/3/23/21191579/dc-marvel-diamond-comics-stops-shipping-new-books
Largest US comics distributor won't ship new books 'until
further notice' due to coronavirus
--
Diamond is the exclusive distributor -- shipping comics
from printers to retailers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics,
Dark Horse Comics, and Image Comics, among other publishers.
(Ie: basically everybody)
This is not an industry where the retailers are flush either. You are talking
shoestring operations in low rent locations.
Aren't all those shops closed now anyway? So it's not like distribution would
be effective, no-one to receive.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-03-25 13:19:57 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Largest US comics distributor won't ship new books 'until
further notice' due to coronavirus
--
Diamond is the exclusive distributor -- shipping comics
from printers to retailers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics,
Dark Horse Comics, and Image Comics, among other publishers.
(Ie: basically everybody)
This is not an industry where the retailers are flush either. You are talking
shoestring operations in low rent locations.
Aren't all those shops closed now anyway? So it's not like distribution would
be effective, no-one to receive.
Still open here in SC, though if they can't get any product..
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-03-25 17:56:48 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Largest US comics distributor won't ship new books 'until
further notice' due to coronavirus
--
Diamond is the exclusive distributor -- shipping comics
from printers to retailers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics,
Dark Horse Comics, and Image Comics, among other publishers.
(Ie: basically everybody)
This is not an industry where the retailers are flush either. You are talking
shoestring operations in low rent locations.
Aren't all those shops closed now anyway? So it's not like distribution would
be effective, no-one to receive.
Still open here in SC, though if they can't get any product..
Whereas over here, one of the best comics shops in the country says "We no
longer feel it is socially responsible to remain open for the public". Full
text at
https://twitter.com/GoshComics/status/1242044251103469570

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
-- blue_beetle
J. Clarke
2020-03-25 21:22:33 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Diamond Comics, basically the only comic book distributer, stops
https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/3/23/21191579/dc-marvel-diamond-comics-stops-shipping-new-books
Largest US comics distributor won't ship new books 'until
further notice' due to coronavirus
--
Diamond is the exclusive distributor -- shipping comics
from printers to retailers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics,
Dark Horse Comics, and Image Comics, among other publishers.
(Ie: basically everybody)
This is not an industry where the retailers are flush either. You are talking
shoestring operations in low rent locations.
Aren't all those shops closed now anyway? So it's not like distribution would
be effective, no-one to receive.
No, they aren't. People seem to have the idea that the lockdown is
something that was ordered by Trump--he didn't have anything to do
with it, it has been ordered mostly by state governors, although in
Lynn's case it seems to be a local judge. So it's on a state by state
basis and not all states are locked down.

Here's a rundown on what's being done in each state.
<https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/03/24/coronavirus-state-measures-contain-disease-vary-widely/2897975001/>
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-25 21:29:43 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Texas is divided into 254 Counties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Texas

Each County is run by a Commissioner's Court. The Commisher's court is
headed by a County Judge. Who, is not a real judge but an
administrator. It is this chicken little administrator who locked us
down because we hit 49 cases of Chinese Flu with a population of 800,000+.

2020-03-26 17:27:28 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
The first item on the "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for
America" (motto: "SLOW THE SPREAD") is:

Listen and follow the directions of your
STATE AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

So I guess that's official ...
some were doing deliveries or posting comics out to people
Robert Carnegie
2020-03-25 14:27:40 UTC
It's bad for physical comicbooks, but there's online.

I'm taking out subscriptions; I may be off the streets
when publishing comes back on.

Current selected British "Marvel" reprints sold in a
small range of newspaper outlets - mostly W. H. Smith -
apparently are actually printed by Panini in Italy:
that's going to be another problem.
Jack Bohn
2020-03-25 15:24:24 UTC
It's bad for physical comicbooks, but there's online.
I'm taking out subscriptions; I may be off the streets
when publishing comes back on.
As someone said elsewhere, business that had avoided telepresence before are now finding ways to make it work. It will be a changed world when we get back to "normal."
Post by Robert Carnegie
Current selected British "Marvel" reprints sold in a
small range of newspaper outlets - mostly W. H. Smith -
that's going to be another problem.
I don't know current printing technology, but it used to be a convenience that comics printed with cyan, magenta, yellow, and black plates. You only had to change the black plate with the lettering for a foreign language edition and a larger print run.
-Jack
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-03-25 16:02:52 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Current selected British "Marvel" reprints sold in a
small range of newspaper outlets - mostly W. H. Smith -
that's going to be another problem.
I don't know current printing technology, but it used to be a
convenience that comics printed with cyan, magenta, yellow, and black
plates. You only had to change the black plate with the lettering for a
foreign language edition and a larger print run.
--
-Jack
I don't know the technology, but there is almost no comparison between the
way comics look now, and the way they looked as recently as the 80s. The
printing is night&day better.

As for online comics, well that certainly won't get the collectors' edition/
alternate cover etc buyers. Easy to scoff, but that's important revenue.

Perhaps Warner & Disney will be willing to subsidise DC & Marvel as incubators
for future projects, but other comics publishers don't have sugar-daddies.
2020-03-25 17:03:03 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
Other studios might snap up Dark Horse or IDW? There's a new
film, "Bloodshot," based on a Valiant comic. Valiant is owned
by DMG Entertainment. Having a comics outfit as a "skunk works"
makes sense. If you only break even on the comics, you might
hit it big on developing films, TV shows, games, etc. However,
if the company doesn't own the characters, it needs to negotiate
with the talent, as in the music industry's "360" deals for recording,
concerts, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/360_deal

2020-03-25 17:14:26 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
Kevin R
Well, that's a big advantage Disney & Warner have. Pretty much all the
Marvel & DC characters were work-for-hire and are outright owned by the
companies. Not the same for other companies, and creators can, and have
taken their characters to other outlets.
Magewolf
2020-03-25 19:33:56 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
AT&T(they own Warner now) and Disney are both under heavy debt loads.

Disney had to take out a 6 billion dollar "loan" just to let them cover
there other loan payments and keep operating. Disney is getting hit the
hardest of almost any company over this. All their parks(across the
world), attractions and hotels are closed. Which has never happened
before. And all their travel businesses such as the cruise line(they
were buying three new ships and another island) and the travel bundles
are dead. Also all their finished movies are postponed and almost all
their upcoming projects(movies,TV and streaming) are on hold. Disney is
going to come out of this a shadow of their former self and it will
takes years to rebuild.

AT&T is not quite as bad off but they were already having to cut the
bone everything they could before the shutdown afterwards it will be
even worse.

Since you would make a better return on investment by putting your money
in a saving account rather than running either DC's or Marvel's comic
business before the shutdown, how will they run after losing a few
hundred(at the least) more comic stores?
Paul S Person
2020-03-26 17:31:05 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
The word here is "bailout". The argument isn't Mickey Mouse, it's all
those jobs!