YAMID: Groundhog Day
Add Reply
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-01 05:37:11 UTC
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.

Thank you,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Lynn McGuire
2019-11-01 05:48:19 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
Thank you,
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
No idea. I only know the name of a couple of piano compositions.

My off the wall SWAG (scientific wils assed guess) is a minimum of 63
days. And a maximum of 500 days. It was enough time for him to learn
to play the piano. To kill himself in many ways. To ingratiate himself
with local community by memorizing their various crashes throughout the
day. To woo a woman or three.

There aren't too many people who get that good at the piano in under 2 years...
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-01 13:08:29 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
No idea. I only know the name of a couple of piano compositions.
I, on the other hand, might have a fighting chance of recognizing
the music -- I listen to kdfc.com mornight-till-night all day --
but I've never seen the movie.

Could anyone come up with a link to a video of a piano-playing
scene from the film?
2019-11-01 14:54:52 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
No idea. I only know the name of a couple of piano compositions.
I, on the other hand, might have a fighting chance of recognizing
the music -- I listen to kdfc.com mornight-till-night all day --
but I've never seen the movie.
Could anyone come up with a link to a video of a piano-playing
scene from the film?
There is a soundtrack album:

https://www.amazon.com/Groundhog-Day-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00138HAMO
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-01 15:31:03 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
No idea. I only know the name of a couple of piano compositions.
I, on the other hand, might have a fighting chance of recognizing
the music -- I listen to kdfc.com mornight-till-night all day --
but I've never seen the movie.
Could anyone come up with a link to a video of a piano-playing
scene from the film?
I very highly recommend it. _Groundhog Day is a masterpiece that has
become part of our zeitgeist and a widely_ used metaphor. It is also
in my opinion the best memorial to the late Harold Ramis.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

"Well you CAN, it's just a lot of work."
Lynn McGuire

2019-11-02 00:51:52 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
No idea. I only know the name of a couple of piano compositions.
I, on the other hand, might have a fighting chance of recognizing
the music -- I listen to kdfc.com mornight-till-night all day --
but I've never seen the movie.
Could anyone come up with a link to a video of a piano-playing
scene from the film?
The movie is alternatingly hilarious and sad.

Highly recommended.

h***@gmail.com
2019-11-01 06:50:01 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
apparently it's Rachmaninoff ‘Rhapsody on a Theme by Paginini’

as for how long he was there, Ramis (director) once said 10 years. The original idea was 10,000 years due to Buddhist views.
Later on he kicked it up to at least 30 or 40 years and other estimates are all over the show
Paul S Person
2019-11-01 17:01:08 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
What is the piano composition that Bill Murray's character plays in
the movie _Groundhog Day_? I would also be interested in your
estimate of how much subjective time he spent in the loop.
apparently it's Rachmaninoff ‘Rhapsody on a Theme by Paginini’
as for how long he was there, Ramis (director) once said 10 years. The original idea was 10,000 years due to Buddhist views.
Later on he kicked it up to at least 30 or 40 years and other estimates are all over the show
IMDb confirms this (not that you needed confirming, of course):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/soundtrack?ref_=tt_ql_trv_7

Item 18:
Eighteenth Variation from "Rapsodie on a Theme of Paganini"
Elizabeth Buccheri
3:32

Item 19:
Medley: Phil's Piano Solo/Eighteenth Variation from Rapsodie on a
Theme of Paganini
Terry Fryer

And it looks like IMDb will play them for you, if you want to hear
them.
2019-11-01 17:19:10 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
S'okay, kdfc.com plays the Variations at least once a week.

Quick check online: yes, the eighteenth variation is the one with
the theme inverted. Good choice. Wikipedia tells me that
Rachmaninoff himself said, "This one is for my agent."
2019-11-02 00:49:30 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Friday, November 1, 2019 at 4:37:14 PM UTC+11,
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
Wow, way above my maximum of 500 days.  10 years of the same day after
day would drive anyone insane.
Lynn
And the scene where he gets up, goes down to the kitchen, grabs the
toaster, goes back up to the bathroom, and the house lights start
flickering makes me understand the motive more. If he had been reliving
that day for ten years, wow !

2019-11-03 02:24:32 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
It's one of my favorite movies. There's a minimum of 34 days depicted, but he displayed mad learned skills in piano, (medieval) French, and ice carving. If he had to learn all these from scratch, we're talking many years.

2019-11-02 17:05:17 UTC
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:22:21 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Paul S Person
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
Well, he /did/ find things to do. Like taking piano.

/Happy Death Day/ used the same idea, albeit with much fewer
repetitions. And a psycho killer.

/Happy Death Day 2/ managed to reprise the original, with the original
characters -- but with different behaviors and a different psycho
killer.

Both are quite funny -- except when they are scary, of course.
2019-11-02 17:25:17 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
AFAIK the first short story in Richard A Lupoff's trilogy invented the
time bounce sub-genre:

"12:01 P.M." (1973)
"12:02 P.M." (2011)
"12:03 P.M." (2012)

ObSF:

_Replay_ (Grimwood)

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2019-11-02 20:39:57 UTC
On 11/2/2019 12:25 PM, D B Davis wrote:
Post by D B Davis
Post by Paul S Person
Wow, way above my maximum of 500 days. 10 years of the same day after
day would drive anyone insane.
Well, he /did/ find things to do. Like taking piano.
/Happy Death Day/ used the same idea, albeit with much fewer
repetitions. And a psycho killer.
/Happy Death Day 2/ managed to reprise the original, with the original
characters -- but with different behaviors and a different psycho
killer.
Both are quite funny -- except when they are scary, of course.
AFAIK the first short story in Richard A Lupoff's trilogy invented the
"12:01 P.M." (1973)
"12:02 P.M." (2011)
"12:03 P.M." (2012)
_Replay_ (Grimwood)

Thank you,
_Replay_ is an excellent book.
https://www.amazon.com/Replay-Ken-Grimwood/dp/068816112X/

2019-12-04 22:48:06 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:22:21 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Wow, way above my maximum of 500 days. 10 years of the same day after
day would drive anyone insane.
Well, he /did/ find things to do. Like taking piano.
/Happy Death Day/ used the same idea, albeit with much fewer
repetitions. And a psycho killer.
There's apparently a traditon in various fanfic camps of "loop" versions of
known stories; I've seen several, starting with a Naruto one. There's also at
least one massive-crossover multi-loop setting with multiple people writing
in it, I _think_ on fanfiction.net?

Dave, those who do not read existing fanfic are doomed to rewrite it
2019-12-04 22:57:15 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Paul S Person
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:22:21 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Wow, way above my maximum of 500 days. 10 years of the same day after
day would drive anyone insane.
Well, he /did/ find things to do. Like taking piano.
/Happy Death Day/ used the same idea, albeit with much fewer
repetitions. And a psycho killer.
There's apparently a traditon in various fanfic camps of "loop" versions of
known stories; I've seen several, starting with a Naruto one. There's also at
least one massive-crossover multi-loop setting with multiple people writing
in it, I _think_ on fanfiction.net?
Dave, those who do not read existing fanfic are doomed to rewrite it
Xena had a clearly GHD inspired episode. It was decent.
2019-12-05 00:00:05 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Paul S Person
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:22:21 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Wow, way above my maximum of 500 days. 10 years of the same day after
day would drive anyone insane.
Well, he /did/ find things to do. Like taking piano.
/Happy Death Day/ used the same idea, albeit with much fewer
repetitions. And a psycho killer.
There's apparently a traditon in various fanfic camps of "loop" versions of
known stories; I've seen several, starting with a Naruto one. There's also at
least one massive-crossover multi-loop setting with multiple people writing
in it, I _think_ on fanfiction.net?
Dave, those who do not read existing fanfic are doomed to rewrite it
It is possible to resist the urge.

Anyway - there was that episode of Star Trek.

It occurs to me that that line could be thrown into
a lot of unrelated story discussions here, and an
answer found. Or several. One called "Cause and
Effect" is what I'm thinking of this time, but
feel free to nominate another.
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-05 06:42:53 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
My thanks to all who replied. Properly speaking, then, the name of
the piece is the eighteenth variation from Rachmaninoff's
"Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini".

This has brought to mind a story:

A professor of biochemistry was playing the piano in the faculty lounge.
When he finished, another faculty member said, "That was beautiful;
what was it?"

The pianist answered, "Chopin's Polymerase in A Major."

A professor of music corrected him, "Don't you mean POLINAISE in A Major?"

The biochemist replied, "Whatever."

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-05 14:11:51 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
I just woke up, and the brain is not quite ticking over yet. The
first thing that came to my mind was Asimov's tale about how he'd
discovered that the name of a chemical compound scanned neatly to
"The Irish Washerwoman." So being Asimov, he was wandering
around campus singing it at the top of his lungs, and somebody
heard him and said,

"Oh! You know it in the origina Gaelic!"

(BTW, correcting to be polite, it's "Polonaise," a Polish dance.)
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-05 16:06:29 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
I guess the professor of music didn't know as much as he thought he did.
As Reagan said, "Trust but verify".

If memory serves, Asimov used that story in one of his science columns
in _Fantasy and Science Fiction_, titled _You, Too Can Speak Gaelic_.
He used it as comic relief in a discussion of the standardized
nomenclature system used for organic compounds.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-11-05 16:43:34 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
My sister's middle-school biology class noticed that you could
memorize common micro-organisms to the tune of Frere Jaques:

Spiro-gyra spiro-gyra
Co-pe-pods co-pe-pods
Osca-sil-i-osa Osca-sil-i-osa
Di-a-toms di-a-toms

(not going to google those to check the spellings..)
2019-11-06 03:17:40 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
He may well have done that. I know it from volume whatever of
his autobiography, which I still have on my shelves.
2019-11-05 16:10:14 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
[...]
Polymerase polonaise pun fun! Earlier this year, Di Wu, a pregnant
pianist, played all of the Rhapsody's twenty-four variations live, in
front of my town's symphony. The Rhapsody's variational difficulty
ranges from intermediate to hard.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2019-12-04 22:50:23 UTC
I just woke up, and the brain is not quite ticking over yet. The
first thing that came to my mind was Asimov's tale about how he'd
discovered that the name of a chemical compound scanned neatly to
"The Irish Washerwoman." So being Asimov, he was wandering
around campus singing it at the top of his lungs, and somebody
heard him and said,
"Oh! You know it in the origina Gaelic!"
(BTW, correcting to be polite, it's "Polonaise," a Polish dance.)
Paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde.

Dave, seldf-gesundheiting