Day of the Triffids movie coming?
2021-09-08 16:37:56 UTC
When I heard that there is an upcoming movie titled "Don't Look Up", involving
the efforts of the main characters, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
Lawrence to stop an apocalypse, that's the first thing I thought of...

2021-09-08 16:56:56 UTC
When I heard that there is an upcoming movie titled "Don't Look Up", involving
the efforts of the main characters, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
Lawrence to stop an apocalypse, that's the first thing I thought of...
What, another?

"The story has been made into the 1962 feature film of the same
name, three radio drama series (in 1957, 1968 and 2001) and two
TV series (in 1981 and 2009)." --Wikipedia
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Quadibloc
2021-09-08 18:58:32 UTC
What, another?
That's what I _thought_ of. It's entirely more likely that this movie has nothing
whatsoever to do with Day of the Triffids.

2021-09-08 19:33:48 UTC
What, another?
That's what I _thought_ of. It's entirely more likely that this movie has nothing
whatsoever to do with Day of the Triffids.
Well, in time we may find out. I can remember when a filmed
_Nine Princes in Amber_ was discussed at length on this group.
Did that ever happen?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Dimensional Traveler
dirty old man.
Robert Carnegie
2021-09-08 19:54:25 UTC
Oh, as in "Don't Watch the Skies". ;-)
Paul S Person
2021-09-09 15:57:40 UTC
When I heard that there is an upcoming movie titled "Don't Look Up", involving
the efforts of the main characters, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
Lawrence to stop an apocalypse, that's the first thing I thought of...
If it's this one
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0> then it is
said to be

"The story of two low-level astronomers, who must go on a giant media
tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet
Earth."

It's got a release date, but not much other info, as few if any people
have actually /seen/ it.

Did the Triffids come from a comet? I don't remember.
pete...@gmail.com
2021-09-09 23:16:09 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Quadibloc
When I heard that there is an upcoming movie titled "Don't Look Up", involving
the efforts of the main characters, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
Lawrence to stop an apocalypse, that's the first thing I thought of...
If it's this one
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0> then it is
said to be
"The story of two low-level astronomers, who must go on a giant media
tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet
Earth."
It's got a release date, but not much other info, as few if any people
have actually /seen/ it.
Did the Triffids come from a comet? I don't remember.
In the book, they were found in a jungle, and thought to be escaped from a
bioweapons lab. They had excellent oil, so were cultivated. The event that
kicks off the plot is also a secret orbital weapon. Can't recall that any
Reason why it went off was given.

Pt
Moriarty
2021-09-10 00:42:17 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
I don't think that's quite right. The entire book is from the perspective of the survivors, who have no way of knowing or finding out what caused the disaster. At one point they speculate that artificial satellites / orbital weapons were involved but that's all it is: speculation.

-Moriarty
Quadibloc
2021-09-10 03:58:17 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
In the book, they were found in a jungle, and thought to be escaped from a
bioweapons lab.
I think you're thinking of another book.

In John Wyndham's book "The Day of the Triffids", at least as I remember it,
which is why I thought a movie with the title "Don't Look Up" had something to
do with it...

the story is told from the viewpoint of a narrator who, being temporarily blinded,
was in hospital, and unable to see a spectacular meteor shower that everyone
else was watching.

That meteor shower preceded the emergence of the Triffids - and it also,
after a delay, blinded everyone who watched it. So the narrator was one of the
few sighted individuals having at least some ability to try and escape the
disaster.

John Savard
Alan Baker
2021-09-10 04:07:58 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
In the book, they were found in a jungle, and thought to be escaped from a
bioweapons lab.
I think you're thinking of another book.
In John Wyndham's book "The Day of the Triffids", at least as I remember it,
which is why I thought a movie with the title "Don't Look Up" had something to
do with it...
the story is told from the viewpoint of a narrator who, being temporarily blinded,
was in hospital, and unable to see a spectacular meteor shower that everyone
else was watching.
That meteor shower preceded the emergence of the Triffids - and it also,
after a delay, blinded everyone who watched it. So the narrator was one of the
few sighted individuals having at least some ability to try and escape the
disaster.
John Savard
The meteor shower preceded the escape of the triffids, but they were
already very much a fact of life before the meteor shower.
Paul Colquhoun
2021-09-10 05:10:47 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:16:09 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com <***@gmail.com> wrote:
| On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
|> On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 09:37:56 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca>
|> wrote:
|> >When I heard that there is an upcoming movie titled "Don't Look Up", involving
|> >the efforts of the main characters, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
|> >Lawrence to stop an apocalypse, that's the first thing I thought of...
|> If it's this one
|> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0> then it is
|> said to be
|>
|> "The story of two low-level astronomers, who must go on a giant media
|> tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet
|> Earth."
|>
|> It's got a release date, but not much other info, as few if any people
|> have actually /seen/ it.
|>
|> Did the Triffids come from a comet? I don't remember.
|
| In the book, they were found in a jungle, and thought to be escaped from a

Actually, the book gives them a Russian origin. The main character
worked for a company that had dealings with the person who smuggled them
out.

| bioweapons lab. They had excellent oil, so were cultivated. The event that
| kicks off the plot is also a secret orbital weapon. Can't recall that any
| Reason why it went off was given.

They speculated that it was orbital weapons set off by a comet/meteor
shower, but nobody was in any position to determine if that was true.
--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first: