[wfc] Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
2020-05-08 14:20:28 UTC
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Carl Fink
2020-05-09 13:21:34 UTC
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Are you sure this is standalone? It fits pretty well (from your
description) with her Trail of Lightning and sequel universe.
--
Carl Fink ***@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com
-Kenne Estes
James Nicoll
2020-05-09 13:53:49 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Are you sure this is standalone? It fits pretty well (from your
description) with her Trail of Lightning and sequel universe.
I think that's because both draw on the same cultural sources for
insiration.
Carl Fink
2020-05-09 19:39:31 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Are you sure this is standalone? It fits pretty well (from your
description) with her Trail of Lightning and sequel universe.
I think that's because both draw on the same cultural sources for
insiration.
Female born monsterhunters draw more from Buffy than the Dine people, as far
as I know. (I am by no means claiming to be an expert about Dine tales.)
-Kenne Estes
James Nicoll
2020-05-10 02:43:04 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Are you sure this is standalone? It fits pretty well (from your
description) with her Trail of Lightning and sequel universe.
I think that's because both draw on the same cultural sources for
insiration.
Female born monsterhunters draw more from Buffy than the Dine people, as far
as I know. (I am by no means claiming to be an expert about Dine tales.)
The lead and her brother are incarnations of the Hero Twins.
Carl Fink
2020-05-10 11:12:23 UTC
The lead and her brother are incarnations of the Hero Twins.
I withdraw my comment.
-Kenne Estes
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-10 17:34:49 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
The lead and her brother are incarnations of the Hero Twins.
I withdraw my comment.
Hero Twin powers, activate!
2020-05-09 17:39:20 UTC
Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nothing-but-shadows
Nizhoni Begay’s single father has had a string of short-term
jobs, which has meant frequent moves for seventh-grader
Nizhoni Begay ...

Nizhoni has a knack for sensing monsters, no matter how
cunningly they disguise themselves. ...

Nizhoni can see Mr. Charles for the fiend that he is ...

Most of the heavy lifting is up to Nizhoni, who has gifts
that make her an immediate threat to monsters. ...

Nizhoni succeeds in part because she collects the proper
plot coupons. ...

Here's some comparably collectible ¿character? coupons from Perry
Rhodan. [1]

First the foreshadow:

Betty Toufry, a six year old girl, grabbed her father’s
gun, while sitting on his lap, and shot him. The child had
never before handled the weapon and had no idea how to use
it....

Then, the ¿micro-denouement?

"Would you answer a question, Betty?"
"Yes, gladly."
"Why did you shoot your father five years ago?"
She seemed to hold back her thoughts at first, but
then they came clearly. "As long as I can remember I would
always read his thoughts. My mother had died when I was
born. All my love was concentrated on him alone. That day,
he came home, and my thoughts went out to greet him, when
I encountered a barrier that was difficult to pierce. This
is when I was confronted by the [Mind Snatchers] that had
invaded his mind. It affected me in a horrible way, and I
could hardly move. My father, or whatever that being was
that was in my father’s body, gathered me up in his arms
and kissed me. Then he sat down, placing me on his lap.
All the while I was reading his mind. His thoughts were
all about the imminent destruction of our world, for the
following day he planned to explode the subterranean atom
bomb stores to let our continent go up into the air.
"Who would have believed my story? I was just a little
six year old girl. I acted automatically. The gun he used
to carry in his pocket flew into my hand by way of
telekinesis. And then...well, then that’s how it happened."

Note.

[1] https://perryrhodanreadingproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/perry-rhodan-4a-invasion-from-space.html

telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.