Written by an author of SCIENCE FICTION, the story THE CHAMPION is actually a fantasy that becomes a horror story.
C. E. Gee
2018-07-05 16:56:17 UTC
Hope I'm not violating any of this groups rules by posting a story that is not officially SCIENCE FICTION.In its short stories department Aphelion Webzine has published “THE CHAMPION.”

ENJOY!

Please GOTO http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/2018/07/TheChampion.html
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-07-05 18:21:00 UTC
Post by C. E. Gee
Hope I'm not violating any of this groups rules by posting a
story that is not officially SCIENCE FICTION.
Not at all. You're violating the rules by spammiong.

(Spam snipped.)

2018-07-05 19:09:38 UTC
Post by C. E. Gee
Hope I'm not violating any of this groups rules by posting a story that
is not officially SCIENCE FICTION.In its short stories department
Aphelion Webzine has published “THE CHAMPION.”
ENJOY!
Please GOTO http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/2018/07/TheChampion.html
Well, in the first place, rec.arts.sf.written covers fantasy as
well as science fiction; and horror fits too, except when it
doesn't.

Now, what you did is sort of borderline. Theoretically, posters
are not supposed to post links to their own works. In practice,
old-timers do this from time to time and nobody objects because
they *are* old-timers and people know them.

You've posted enough on this forum that I, for one, certainly
don't object.
2018-07-05 19:10:46 UTC
Post by C. E. Gee
Hope I'm not violating any of this groups rules by posting a story that
is not officially SCIENCE FICTION.In its short stories department
Aphelion Webzine has published “THE CHAMPION.”
ENJOY!
Please GOTO http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/2018/07/TheChampion.html
Well, in the first place, rec.arts.sf.written covers fantasy as
well as science fiction; and horror fits too, except when it
doesn't.
Now, what you did is sort of borderline. Theoretically, posters
are not supposed to post links to their own works. In practice,
old-timers do this from time to time and nobody objects because
they *are* old-timers and people know them.
You've posted enough on this forum that I, for one, certainly
don't object.
Update: But of course, Terry will. I like Terry; but he does
object to a whole lot of things.

/e sends grain of salt in case of need
2018-07-05 20:28:48 UTC
Post by C. E. Gee
[...]
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.

2018-07-05 20:38:10 UTC
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)

2018-07-05 21:10:16 UTC
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?

2018-07-05 21:35:36 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?
They wouldn't have to do the last exhale all at once.
One after another, 7 billion* times, and you'd never
get to the end of the list in your lifetime. That's
as long as you weren't granted functional immortality,
like a Terrean Bowerick Wowbagger.

2018-07-06 07:17:55 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?
They wouldn't have to do the last exhale all at once.
One after another, 7 billion* times, and you'd never
get to the end of the list in your lifetime. That's
as long as you weren't granted functional immortality,
like a Terrean Bowerick Wowbagger.
Kevin R
I thought he said "haunt". Disappointing, though
it probably wouldn't be much different.

As for the story... I haven't read it yet.
Juho Julkunen
2018-07-05 22:18:56 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a new unread
article on rec.arts.sf.written..."
Juho Julkunen
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-06 01:52:10 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a new unread
article on rec.arts.sf.written..."
Bravo.
"Attack of the Killer Spambot?"

Kevin R
Ahasuerus
"The evil that men do lives after them".
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-06 02:21:52 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
That's not true at all. Who would I taunt?
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a new unread
article on rec.arts.sf.written..."
Bravo.
"Attack of the Killer Spambot?"
"The evil that men do lives after them".
The good is oft interred with their outmoded disks.
2018-07-05 20:45:57 UTC
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
Oh, I can think of several people who would make me smile by
breathing their last, and I bet you can too. Let's change the
subject quick.
2018-07-06 15:58:58 UTC
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
Oh, I can think of several people who would make me smile by
breathing their last, and I bet you can too. Let's change the
subject quick.
You mean before the Secret Service interviews start?
2018-07-06 22:37:52 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
Oh, I can think of several people who would make me smile by
breathing their last, and I bet you can too. Let's change the
subject quick.
You mean before the Secret Service interviews start?
/e smiles innocently and changes the subject again
Ahasuerus
2018-07-07 03:03:27 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Terry objects to the rest of the humans on Earth breathing.
I think it is only the inhaling that bothers JKTK.
One last exhale would probably bring a smile to his
face, in the case of some folks. :)
Oh, I can think of several people who would make me smile by
breathing their last, and I bet you can too. Let's change the
subject quick.
You mean before the Secret Service interviews start?
/e smiles innocently and changes the subject again
"Mine is a most peaceable disposition. My wishes are: a humble
cottage with a thatched roof, but a good bed, good food, the
freshest milk and butter, flowers before my window, and a few fine
trees before my door; and if God wants to make my happiness complete,
he will grant me the joy of seeing some six or seven of my enemies
hanging from those trees."
Dorothy J Heydt
Ahasuerus
Heine as quoted by Freud in _Civilization and Its Discontents_.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-05 20:42:22 UTC
Post by C. E. Gee
[...]
No, I don't think so. Not breathing. Posting, maybe.
2018-07-05 21:09:49 UTC
In article
Post by C. E. Gee
[...]
Only the stupid ones. If you don't know any who aren't stupid,
well, we all tend to hang out with people like ourselves.