[tor dot com] Five '70s SF Cover Artists Who Stay True to the Story
2019-12-02 20:25:34 UTC
Five '70s SF Cover Artists Who Stay True to the Story

https://www.tor.com/2019/12/02/five-70s-sf-cover-artists-who-stay-true-to-the-story/
2019-12-03 00:44:58 UTC
Five '70s SF Cover Artists Who Stay True to the Story
https://www.tor.com/2019/12/02/five-70s-sf-cover-artists-who-stay-true-to-the-story/
Det Brills's outfit would not have been out of place
on Nancy Sinatra in the 60s, or as a costume for Jane
Fonda, in "Barbarella." OK, maybe a bit demure for Babs.

Det Marshall obviously inherited his fashion sense from
legendary style icons Steve Urkel and Mork From Ork.

Kevin R
Johnny1A
2019-12-03 06:12:53 UTC
Five '70s SF Cover Artists Who Stay True to the Story
https://www.tor.com/2019/12/02/five-70s-sf-cover-artists-who-stay-true-to-the-story/
Det Brills's outfit would not have been out of place
on Nancy Sinatra in the 60s, or as a costume for Jane
Fonda, in "Barbarella." OK, maybe a bit demure for Babs.
Det Marshall obviously inherited his fashion sense from
legendary style icons Steve Urkel and Mork From Ork.
Kevin R
"Dean Ellis’ cover depicts something that orbital mechanics fans might dismiss as nonsensical: a torus-shaped world with a smaller, more conventional worldlet in the middle. This peculiar setting is drawn straight out of the novel, which concerns a recluse living in an odd setting enabled by super-advanced technology—it’s one of two striking settings to be found in the novel. Ellis chose the setting that wouldn’t later feature on Rick Sternbach’s cover for the mid-1970s edition of Neutron Star."

I noted this on the thread for your _Protector_ review, too, but I'll point it out again because it amuses me.

I love the cover art with the Kobold asteroid (and I love the image of Kobold itself, it's one of Niven's most Cool conceptions), but the cover artist actually does cheat. What amuses me is that he cheats _in reverse_, compared to many 70s covers.

In the cover, we see Roy and Alice wearing fairly conventional spacesuits. But in the actual book, they are clad in _transparent_ space suits and nude under them. Alice is even embarrassed about it at one point, though Roy is her lover and Brennan, the only other person present, is neuter.

So...instead of putting a near-naked woman on the cover with no justification in text, Ellis put a _fully dressed_ woman on the cover, in contravention of text. Somehow that reversal strikes me as humorous.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-12-03 01:45:29 UTC
Five '70s SF Cover Artists Who Stay True to the Story
https://www.tor.com/2019/12/02/five-70s-sf-cover-artists-who-stay-true-to-the-story/
There's always _Bimbos of the Death Sun_ -- which actually represents the
story within the story (that is, author wrote hard SF, publisher put a
bimbo on the cover).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bimbos+of+the+Death+Sun&rlz=1T4NDKB_enUS531US531&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ql0ZHq1jRe1azM%253A%252CSG94s1Q6LolLbM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ_IMEKGrDTSnQ0M9kR-1Tyc5T-lg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiil8aSrZjmAhUPr54KHeHKAUMQ9QEwA3oECAcQCQ#imgrc=ql0ZHq1jRe1azM: