"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer – Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
2018-09-12 19:07:26 UTC
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"

https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-now-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-saudi-arabia/

"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/

Hat tip to:
https://drudgereport.com/

Lynn
Alan Baker
2018-09-12 19:19:50 UTC
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-now-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
   https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
   https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?

You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it CHOOSES to let you.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-12 21:15:07 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-now-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
    https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
    https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it CHOOSES to let you.
Dude, are you off your meds again ?

Lynn
Alan Baker
"Dude": can't answer the question?
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-12 22:31:28 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil
Producer – Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-n
ow-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-
saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia
to become the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier
this year, based on preliminary estimates in EIA’s
Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
    https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it
CHOOSES to let you.
Dude, are you off your meds again ?
"Dude": can't answer the question?
In other words, yes, you're off your meds again.

Alan Baker
2018-09-12 22:35:16 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil
Producer – Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-n
ow-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-
saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia
to become the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier
this year, based on preliminary estimates in EIA’s
Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."   Â
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
    https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it
CHOOSES to let you.
Dude, are you off your meds again ?
"Dude": can't answer the question?
In other words, yes, you're off your meds again.
I cannot be off what I was never on in the first place, Terry.

Well, I take Coumadin (warfarin) for a blood-clotting disorder, but I'm
not off that... ...I can't be.

:-)
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-12 22:49:00 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil
Producer – Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is
-n
ow-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-an
d- saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia
to become the world’s largest crude oil producer
earlier this year, based on preliminary estimates in
EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."   Â
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
    https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it
CHOOSES to let you.
Dude, are you off your meds again ?
"Dude": can't answer the question?
In other words, yes, you're off your meds again.
I cannot be off what I was never on in the first place, Terry.
Well, there's your problem, son. You should listen to the doctors.
They know what's best for you.

Alan Baker

You actually think that's clever...
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-12 23:13:56 UTC
On 2018-09-12 3:31 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
It's quite a revelation, isn't it?
Post by Alan Baker
You actually think
Unlike you.
Post by Alan Baker
that's clever...
Yes, it is. It's nice of you to say it, though.

Alan Baker
2018-09-12 23:22:40 UTC
On 2018-09-12 3:31 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Post by Alan Baker
You actually think
Unlike you.
Wow. You actually think you're clever...
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-12 23:45:31 UTC
On 2018-09-12 3:49 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
On 2018-09-12 3:31 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil
Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-state
s- is -n
ow-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russi
a- an d- saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi
Arabia to become the
worldÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€şÂ¢s largest
crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in
EIAÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€şÂ¢s Short-Term
Energy Outlook (STEO)."
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
  ÂÂ
  https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it
CHOOSES to let you.
Dude, are you off your meds again ?
"Dude": can't answer the question?
In other words, yes, you're off your meds again.
I cannot be off what I was never on in the first place,
Terry.
Well, there's your problem, son. You should listen to the
doctors. They know what's best for you.
Wow.
It's quite a revelation, isn't it?
You actually think
Unlike you.
that's clever...
Yes, it is. It's nice of you to say it, though.
Wow.
You said that already. Yes, it's a profound, insightful statement.
Post by Alan Baker
You actually think
Rarer as it is on the internet, yes, I certainly do, as history has
shown.
Post by Alan Baker
you're clever...
Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

(You're repeating yourself. I'd mention the old saw about doing the
same thing and expecting different results, but we all - including
you - know you're not right in the head already.)

Alan Baker
2018-09-12 23:50:28 UTC
On 2018-09-12 3:49 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
On 2018-09-12 3:31 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
you're clever...
Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.
(You're repeating yourself. I'd mention the old saw about doing the
same thing and expecting different results, but we all - including
you - know you're not right in the head already.)
Which is why you did exactly the same thing you did last time, right?

:-)
Sorry, but you've become more tedious than amusing...

...for the moment.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-13 04:28:11 UTC
On 2018-09-12 4:13 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
On 2018-09-12 3:49 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
On 2018-09-12 3:31 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil
Producer
â€Ã
¢â‚¬Ã “ Surpasses Russia and
Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-sta
te s- is -n
ow-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-rus
si a- an d- saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi
Arabia to become the
worldââ‚ÂÂÂ
¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€şÂ¢s largest
crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in
EIAâ€Ã
ƒÆ’¢â€şÂ¢s Short-Term
Energy Outlook (STEO)."
 ÃÃ
ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ Ãƒâ€
Å¡ https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
 ÃÃ
ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ Ãƒâ€
šÃ‚   https://drudgereport.com/
[...]
You are, indeed, dangling helplessly on the hook again, as usual.
Post by Alan Baker
:-)
And pretending you're kidding again, as usual, because that's the
only way you can pretend you're not humiliated again, as usual.
Post by Alan Baker
Sorry, but you've become more tedious than amusing...
...for the moment.
And yet, here you are, on your knees, as usual.

2018-09-12 22:53:59 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/09/12/the-united-states-is-now-the-largest-global-crude-oil-producer-surpassed-russia-and-saudi-arabia/
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
    https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/
    https://drudgereport.com/
Lynn
How does that make one "great again"?
You only produce more crude than Saudi Arabia because it CHOOSES to let you.
Because Texas was the number one producer of oil until 1960 or so.
Texas dropped to 3 ? 2 ? million barrels/day in the 1990s but is back up
to 7 million barrels/day and heading to 8 ? 9 ? 10 ? million barrels/day
in a year or two if the infrastructure issues get solved (new
pipelines). When you add in the half million barrels/day in Alaska plus
the other producer states such as OK, LA, CA, AL, PA, UT, and AK, there
is another four to five million barrels/day.

Saudi Arabia is producing at 11 million barrels/day the last time I
looked. About 3 million barrels/day is used internally and that usage
is growing. The real problem is that Ghawar is just about tapped out.
Their excellent management and pressure support of Ghawar has allowed it
to last this long but some day soon (1 to 20 ??? years), all of the
wells will convert to water. Aramco let it slip a couple of years ago
that they are now operating 82 GOSPs (gas-oil separation plant) now in
support of Ghawar. Simply amazing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghawar_Field

Lynn
-dsr-
2018-09-13 16:48:55 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
So is the goal to be A) the first one to run out, or B) the last one with
reserves available?

Because this looks like scenario A.

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-13 18:19:55 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The USA has 200 years of predicted reserves of crude oil and 1,000 years
of natural gas at the anticipated production rates. Directional
drilling and fracking have turned the oil and gas industry literally
from famine to feast. About 70% of the current natural gas wells are
shut in due to the lack of demand even though natural gas demand is
rising at 3 to 5% per year.

Lynn
Alan Baker
2018-09-13 18:27:16 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
But of course, you imagine that those same developments have made no
difference to anyone else's reserves...

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves>
Peter Trei
2018-09-13 19:24:29 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Yes, new techniques are going to change the recoverable reserves of all
countries, not just the US.

I'm under the impression that these numbers are highly unreliable. IIRC (Lynn
probably knows the facts) in the US, producers are incentivized to minimize
their reserves, for tax reasons. OTOH, national producers (ARAMCO,
PDVSA (Venezuela)), etc, are incentivized to maximize the numbers, for the
international clout it gives them.

On the linked page, the most interesting chart is a small one on the right
showing 'trends in proven oil reserves'. How trustworthy is it?

2018-09-13 19:54:53 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'm not sure how I misread that as "change the coastlines
of all countries", but I know why. Though some countries
don't have any coastline... yet.
2018-09-13 20:39:46 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
But of course, you imagine that those same developments have made no=20
difference to anyone else's reserves...
=20
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves>
Yes, new techniques are going to change the recoverable reserves of all
countries, not just the US.
I'm under the impression that these numbers are highly unreliable. IIRC (Ly=
nn
probably knows the facts) in the US, producers are incentivized to minimize
their reserves, for tax reasons. OTOH, national producers (ARAMCO,
PDVSA (Venezuela)), etc, are incentivized to maximize the numbers, for the
international clout it gives them.=20
Start here <https://www.eia.gov/>

OBSF: Various comments about burning the future in _The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World_
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-13 20:37:40 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Please do not confuse proven oil reserves with predicted oil reserves.
I was talking about predicted oil reserves.

And the fracking only applies to very tight formations such as shale
oil. The directional drilling does apply to all oil fields.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_oil

Lynn
Alan Baker
2018-09-13 23:18:48 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
And shale oil that is not being produced commercially supports your
claim that the US becoming the largest oil producer in the world at the
moment somehow makes the US "great again"...

...how?
Dimensional Traveler
2018-09-13 18:33:58 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The hydrocarbon industry has been bouncing between feast and famine for
as long as I've been alive. In the 1980's the major oil companies were
reducing their exploration departments and independents explorers were
going under in huge numbers because prices were so low it wasn't cost
effective to look for new fields. "This too shall pass."
Alan Baker
2018-09-13 18:36:38 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Absolutely. Hence my original question.

Temporarily being the largest producer of oil in the world doesn't make
a country greater or worse.
Dan Tilque
2018-09-13 19:44:15 UTC
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
This is much like bragging about having the biggest cancer in the world.

BTW, demand for fossil fuels will peak within 10 years:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/11/fossil-fuels-set-to-peak-in-the-20202/
--
Dan Tilque

PS And not a moment too soon.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-13 20:39:41 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Lynn McGuire
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
This is much like bragging about having the biggest cancer in the world.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/11/fossil-fuels-set-to-peak-in-the-20202/
Care to bet your life savings on that prediction ?

If you're invested in mutual funds someone may be betting yours.
Lynn McGuire

2018-09-13 23:02:08 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
"GREAT AGAIN: USA Is Now The Largest Global Crude Oil Producer –
Surpasses Russia and Saudi Arabia"
"The United States likely surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia to become
the world’s largest crude oil producer earlier this year, based on
preliminary estimates in EIA’s Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO)."
This is much like bragging about having the biggest cancer in the world.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/11/fossil-fuels-set-to-peak-in-the-20202/
According to "Carbon Tracker". What kind of track record do they
have?
Kevrob
2018-09-14 00:15:59 UTC
According to "Carbon Tracker". What kind of track record do they
have?
When they come back from the drill site they are in a lot of trouble
if they don't take their boots off before walking on clean kitchen
floors or on the living room rug. That carbon smudge is hard to clean
up! :)

Are developed reserves on one side of the New York/Pennsylvania
border counted, but on the other not? What about off-shore sites
that have been put off-limits by Congressional legislation or
executive order? The oil and gas is either known to be there or
suspected to be, but it is off-limits for political reasons.
Would we go and get it if there were a pressing demand for it,
such as there was during the 1970s "oil shocks?"

Kevin R
Dan Tilque
2018-09-14 17:46:00 UTC
According to "Carbon Tracker". What kind of track record do they
have?
No idea.
Post by Kevrob
Are developed reserves on one side of the New York/Pennsylvania
border counted, but on the other not? What about off-shore sites
that have been put off-limits by Congressional legislation or
executive order? The oil and gas is either known to be there or
suspected to be, but it is off-limits for political reasons.
Would we go and get it if there were a pressing demand for it,
such as there was during the 1970s "oil shocks?"
These are supply issues. The article was about demand and the point is
that renewables, especially solar, are going to reduce the demand for
fossil fuels sooner than most economists are expecting.

And this is especially true in the 3rd world. Consider that China is the
biggest maker of solar panels by far. It's also one of, if not the
biggest provider of economic aid to the 3rd world, especially Africa.
And just like when the US provides economic aid, China expects lots of
that aid to be used to purchase Chinese goods. Africa is going to be
largely electrified by Chinese solar panels. Ditto for much of Asia.
Dan Tilque
Leo Sgouros
https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-mounting-solar-panel-waste-problem
Dan Tilque
2018-09-15 16:48:25 UTC
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
And this is especially true in the 3rd world. Consider that China is the
biggest maker of solar panels by far. It's also one of, if not the
biggest provider of economic aid to the 3rd world, especially Africa.
And just like when the US provides economic aid, China expects lots of
that aid to be used to purchase Chinese goods. Africa is going to be
largely electrified by Chinese solar panels. Ditto for much of Asia.
https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-mounting-solar-panel-waste-problem
So solar panels will have the same disposal issues that all electronics
have. This is not news nor does it change what I said.

Here's an example of a part of Africa being solar powerized:

<https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/14/a-market-worth-billions-nobody-seems-to-have-noticed-yet/>
Dan Tilque
Leo Sgouros
2018-09-15 18:45:56 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
And this is especially true in the 3rd world. Consider that China is the
biggest maker of solar panels by far. It's also one of, if not the
biggest provider of economic aid to the 3rd world, especially Africa.
And just like when the US provides economic aid, China expects lots of
that aid to be used to purchase Chinese goods. Africa is going to be
largely electrified by Chinese solar panels. Ditto for much of Asia.
https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-mounting-solar-panel-waste-problem
So solar panels will have the same disposal issues that all electronics
have.
"All electronics" are not marketed as "renewable".
Touchy much? :-)
Dan Tilque
J. Clarke
Just a typical zealot.
Dan Tilque
2018-09-16 22:12:15 UTC
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
And this is especially true in the 3rd world. Consider that China is the
biggest maker of solar panels by far. It's also one of, if not the
biggest provider of economic aid to the 3rd world, especially Africa.
And just like when the US provides economic aid, China expects lots of
that aid to be used to purchase Chinese goods. Africa is going to be
largely electrified by Chinese solar panels. Ditto for much of Asia.
https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-mounting-solar-panel-waste-problem
So solar panels will have the same disposal issues that all electronics
have.
"All electronics" are not marketed as "renewable".
They're not going to be installing solar in Africa because it's
"renewable". They're going to do it because solar is cheaper than other
technologies. That's the overriding factor for Africa. If coal plants
were cheaper, that's what they'd be installing.

They do have some thermal plants in Africa; they're unreliable and only
serve the big cities. And even then, many (if not most) of the people in
those cities aren't connected.
Dan Tilque
J. Clarke
2018-09-16 22:31:47 UTC
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Dan Tilque
[...]
In some parts of Africa the power may be unreliable. In others not so
much. Don't treat Africa as being uniform, it isn't.