OT - Ethereum Startup ConsenSys Acquires Asteroid Mining Company
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-11-02 15:51:13 UTC
from
https://www.ccn.com/to-the-moon-ethereum-startup-consensys-acquires-asteroid-mining-company/

ETHEREUM NEWS OCTOBER 31, 2018 21:15 CET
To the Moon? Ethereum Startup ConsenSys Acquires Asteroid Mining Company
consensys ethereum asteroid mining

Twitter Facebook
New York-based blockchain software technology startup and Ethereum
development studio ConsenSys has acquired asteroid mining company
Planetary Resources, Inc. through an asset-purchase agreement. Following
the acquisition, Planetary Resources President and CEO Chris Lewicki and
General Counsel Brian Israel will be joining the team at ConsenSys,
according to an official press release.

Before co-founding and joining the managerial team at Planetary
Resources, Chris Lewicki worked as flight director of the Spirit and
Opportunity Mars rovers and Phoenix Mars lander at the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

“Over the course of nearly a decade, Planetary Resources has
simultaneously pioneered technology, business, law, and policy, and
brought the promise of space resources irreversibly closer to
humankind’s grasp,” an enthusiastic Lewicki stated in the release.

Speaking further, he recognized the remarkable successes of his former
team and lauded the new synergy with ConsenSys.

“I am proud of our team’s extraordinary accomplishments, grateful to our
visionary supporters, and delighted to join ConsenSys in building atop
our work to expand humanity’s economic sphere of influence in the Solar
System.”

Brian Israel worked in the US State Department’s Office of the Legal
Adviser for eight years before he joined Planetary Resources in 2017. He
was in charge of the international legal dimensions of outer space,
oceans, and international environmental governance matters, and served
as a representative to the United Nations’ space law body. He gave
insights about the commercial relevance of Ethereum smart contracts to
space exploration and development.

“Ethereum smart contract functionality is a natural solution for
private-ordering and commerce in space – the only domain of human
activity not ordered around territorial sovereignty – in which a diverse
range of actors from a growing number of countries must coordinate and
transact,” Israel remarked.

Commenting on the development, co-founder of Ethereum and founder of
ConsenSys Joe Lubin hailed Planetary Resources for “inspiring people”
across the planet in “support of its bold vision for the future.”

“Bringing deep space capabilities into the ConsenSys ecosystem reflects
our belief in the potential for Ethereum to help humanity craft new
societal rule systems through automated trust and guaranteed execution.
And it reflects our belief in democratizing and decentralizing space
endeavors to unite our species and unlock untapped human potential,” he
said. “We look forward to sharing our plans and how to join this power
in the months ahead.”

Featured Image from Shutterstock

Follow us on Telegram or subscribe to our newsletter here.

Yabner • 4 hours ago
That's no moon... That's an asteroid.

•Reply•Share ›

Arth Eidt • 14 hours ago
mining asterorids on the current stage of global economy is still a huge
waste of ressources, they did that mainly for "publicity" transporting
matals and materials through space is still extremly ressourcewasting,
especially human ressources to manage that. i am pretty sure that
"consensys" will get an image of publicity spectacular ressource wasting
projects. they already have like ripple too much media attention

•Reply•Share ›
Peter Trei
2018-11-02 17:10:37 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
https://www.ccn.com/to-the-moon-ethereum-startup-consensys-acquires-asteroid-mining-company/
ETHEREUM NEWS OCTOBER 31, 2018 21:15 CET
To the Moon? Ethereum Startup ConsenSys Acquires Asteroid Mining Company
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
Twitter Facebook
New York-based blockchain software technology startup and Ethereum
development studio ConsenSys has acquired asteroid mining company
Planetary Resources, Inc. through an asset-purchase agreement.
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by quantum computers...

Honestly, putting 'blockchain' and 'asteroid mining' in the same sentence
pegs my skepticism meter.

2018-11-02 17:13:32 UTC
Post by a425couple
ETHEREUM NEWS OCTOBER 31, 2018 21:15 CET
To the Moon? Ethereum Startup ConsenSys Acquires Asteroid Mining Company
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
Twitter Facebook
New York-based blockchain software technology startup and Ethereum
development studio ConsenSys has acquired asteroid mining company
Planetary Resources, Inc. through an asset-purchase agreement.
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by quantum computers...
Honestly, putting 'blockchain' and 'asteroid mining' in the same sentence
pegs my skepticism meter.
pt
What are you going to hold the blocks of smashed up asteroid together with
otherwise?
2018-11-02 17:29:12 UTC
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 11:51:42 AM UTC-4, a425couple
Post by a425couple
from
https://www.ccn.com/to-the-moon-ethereum-startup-consensys-acqui
res-asteroid-mining-company/
ETHEREUM NEWS OCTOBER 31, 2018 21:15 CET
To the Moon? Ethereum Startup ConsenSys Acquires Asteroid
Mining Company
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
Twitter Facebook
New York-based blockchain software technology startup and
Ethereum development studio ConsenSys has acquired asteroid
mining company Planetary Resources, Inc. through an
asset-purchase agreement.
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Honestly, putting 'blockchain' and 'asteroid mining' in the same
sentence pegs my skepticism meter.
I'm not skeptical at all. I'm certain the only product they will ever
produce is stock certificates.

2018-11-07 08:37:09 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-07 15:43:12 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Aren't Chromebooks a passing fad?

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-07 15:48:03 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but given
how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook" produces on
Google, I'd say no, not really.

2018-11-07 16:58:25 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but given
how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook" produces on
Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is very
stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits' you refer
to are for people who want to load their favorite linux distribution on
a chromebook instead of the stripped down (unusable for SW development)
userspace.
Peter Trei
2018-11-07 17:01:26 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but given
how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook" produces on
Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is very
stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits' you refer
to are for people who want to load their favorite linux distribution on
a chromebook instead of the stripped down (unusable for SW development)
userspace.
I'd be more interested in knowing if I can boot a Chromebook from a USB stick.
There are a lot of Linux distros set up for this.

pt
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-07 18:47:37 UTC
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 11:58:27 AM UTC-5, Scott
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it,
but given how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook"
produces on Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is
very stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits'
you refer to are for people who want to load their favorite
linux distribution on a chromebook instead of the stripped down
(unusable for SW development) userspace.
I'd be more interested in knowing if I can boot a Chromebook
from a USB stick. There are a lot of Linux distros set up for
this.
"How do I dual boot Chrome OS and Linux using a USB drive?"

http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/projects/dual-boot-chrome-os-and-
linux/

https://tinyurl.com/yak9s7uj

(It apparently involves a BIOS mod.)

2018-11-07 19:05:23 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
[...]
Cool Beans!

thanks.

What amazes me is that this, combined with MicroSD cards and a
uSD->USB adaptor, I can carry multiple OSs, with plenty of storage, in my
pocket without even a bulge.

pt
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-07 19:33:23 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
[...]
I currently have four USB drives in my pocket. Five if you count
the Swiss Army knife, but the USB part doesn't work any more (and
is only 128 MB anyway).

Jay E. Morris
2018-11-09 01:40:53 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
[...]
Funny this comes up as I'm sitting here pulling files off about a dozen
old USB sticks in preparation to crushing them. Anyone need a 32mb
stick? I think my Swiss Army USB still works. I'll have to grab it out
of the truck and see.

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-07 18:45:08 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by
quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but
given how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook"
produces on Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is
very stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits'
you refer to are for people who want to load their favorite
linux distribution on a chromebook instead of the stripped down
(unusable for SW development) userspace.
Which is to say, technically, it's Linux (because Linux is just the
kernel), but in everyday conversation to people who aren't Linux
geeks, no, it's not Linux, it's ChromeOS, which is something
completely different.

2018-11-07 21:12:00 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a425couple
consensys ethereum asteroid mining
...and their EM-Drive powered spaceships will be guided by quantum computers...
Running on desktop Linux, powered by desktop fusion.
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but given
how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook" produces on
Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is very
stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits' you refer
to are for people who want to load their favorite linux distribution on
a chromebook instead of the stripped down (unusable for SW development)
userspace.
I think there was talk of a command line sometime next year,
if we're good?
Greg Goss
2018-11-08 04:55:57 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Greg Goss
Aren't Chromebooks sitting on top of Linux?
Also, they use the Linux kernal, or at least started on it, but given
how many hits "how to install Linux on a Chromebook" produces on
Google, I'd say no, not really.
ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel. However, userland is very
stripped down (to basically just a browser). The 'hits' you refer
to are for people who want to load their favorite linux distribution on
a chromebook instead of the stripped down (unusable for SW development)
userspace.
I don't think that the two of you are really disagreeing. I said
something, Terry said "That's incorrect" and you supported his point.