OT:Starship sticks the landing!!!
2021-05-05 23:25:33 UTC

Next stop the Moon then onward to Mars and beyond.
Lynn McGuire
2021-05-05 23:34:35 UTC
http://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw
Next stop the Moon then onward to Mars and beyond.
"SpaceX Starship SN15 soars through clouds, nails landing!"

"SpaceX's Starship SN15 prototype flew to an altitude of 6.2 miles (10
kilometers) and landed about 6 minutes after liftoff on May 5, 2021. It
launched from SpaceX's Boca Chica, Texas facility."

Lynn
pete...@gmail.com
2021-05-06 03:30:58 UTC
http://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw
http://youtu.be/unKvMC3Y1kI
"SpaceX's Starship SN15 prototype flew to an altitude of 6.2 miles (10
kilometers) and landed about 6 minutes after liftoff on May 5, 2021. It
launched from SpaceX's Boca Chica, Texas facility."
I watched it live online. Finally! However, there was a methane fire at the base
for 5-10 minutes at the base after landing, but unlike a couple flights ago, no
RUD.

Pt
Lynn McGuire
2021-05-06 18:30:05 UTC
http://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw
Next stop the Moon then onward to Mars and beyond.
BTW, this is not OT. This is the follow on of hopes and dreams for many
generations.

Lynn
The Horny Goat
2021-07-11 17:10:46 UTC
On Thu, 6 May 2021 13:30:05 -0500, Lynn McGuire
http://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw
Next stop the Moon then onward to Mars and beyond.
BTW, this is not OT. This is the follow on of hopes and dreams for many
generations.
Indeed - I was one of those 12 year olds who saw 2001: A Space Odyssey
in first run and dreamed that that actually MIGHT be our 2001! (I knew
it wouldn't be me since I was both near sighted and Canadian)

As Arthur C Clarke himself once said in an interview "Many SF writers
wrote about mankind going to the moon but NOBODY ever envisioned 5 or
6 trips then NEVER GOING BACK"
J. Clarke
The sad part is that SpaceX is showing us now what it could have been.
The Horny Goat
2021-09-16 06:31:41 UTC
On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:00:48 -0400, J. Clarke
Post by J. Clarke
Post by The Horny Goat
Next stop the Moon then onward to Mars and beyond.
BTW, this is not OT. This is the follow on of hopes and dreams for many
generations.
Indeed - I was one of those 12 year olds who saw 2001: A Space Odyssey
in first run and dreamed that that actually MIGHT be our 2001! (I knew
it wouldn't be me since I was both near sighted and Canadian)
As Arthur C Clarke himself once said in an interview "Many SF writers
wrote about mankind going to the moon but NOBODY ever envisioned 5 or
6 trips then NEVER GOING BACK"
The sad part is that SpaceX is showing us now what it could have been.
Yup - while obviously computer systems are more able than 40 years
ago, there's no technical reason Pournelle's dream of lunar launches
of materials for solar satellites couldn't have been done in the late
80s / early 90s.

While at Cape Canaveral in 1998 (what can I say - the kids got 5 days
at Disneyworld while I got two days at the Cape!) they had the launch
room that launched Glenn restored and as a former Burroughs employee
was surprised to see their machines on display. Now to be sure those
machines had less computing power than an iPhone 4 (1962 vs 1998
meaning way less than 2021) but it was still impressive.

I got to sit in the capcom's chair and pushed the button they said
triggered the final countdown which was fun. They had the first
space-flown Mercury capsules on display outside the museum gift shop
but that was one that launched a chimpanzee not Alan Sheppard.
Scott Lurndal
2021-09-16 13:56:13 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:00:48 -0400, J. Clarke
While at Cape Canaveral in 1998 (what can I say - the kids got 5 days
at Disneyworld while I got two days at the Cape!) they had the launch
room that launched Glenn restored and as a former Burroughs employee
was surprised to see their machines on display. Now to be sure those
machines had less computing power than an iPhone 4 (1962 vs 1998
meaning way less than 2021) but it was still impressive.
I, as a former Burroughs employee, have a video from an 16mm
film we found in the Pasadena Plant before it closed that
documents Glenn's flight from takeoff to landing. The final
shot is of the big red B in the center of a paper tape reader hub.

I hope to get that posted up to youtube along with other
Burroughs videos already posted (youtube channel slurn45) soon.