Liaden reread
Joe Morris
2018-12-26 20:32:55 UTC
Hey,
I had read some of the Scout books when local publisher, Meisha Merlin,
got rid of all their old stock years ago. I picked up a bunch of nice
editions but didn't have room for them and they ended up in boxes.

After my most recent move, I finally have space for everything and
started reading _Cyrstal Soldier_. What a delight to read their stuff
again. I'm about halfway through and love it so far. So, next I was
planning on the other Crystal book then _Balance of Trade_

Is that the order most people would recommend? I guess I'll continue
with the internal chronology after that unless there's one or two
people think aren't worth the read or should get bumped up in
the queue.

It's been really fun reading so far
--
Joe Morris Atlanta history blog
***@gmail.com http://atlhistory.com
J. Clarke
2018-12-26 23:46:45 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Hey,
I had read some of the Scout books when local publisher, Meisha Merlin,
got rid of all their old stock years ago. I picked up a bunch of nice
editions but didn't have room for them and they ended up in boxes.
After my most recent move, I finally have space for everything and
started reading _Cyrstal Soldier_. What a delight to read their stuff
again. I'm about halfway through and love it so far. So, next I was
planning on the other Crystal book then _Balance of Trade_
Is that the order most people would recommend? I guess I'll continue
with the internal chronology after that unless there's one or two
people think aren't worth the read or should get bumped up in
the queue.
It's been really fun reading so far
I perforce read them in as-published order and it worked out well. I'm
not sure chronological is better in that some characters got mention
early and it was nice to have their stories fleshed out. And for the
first two I already knew that both Korval and the Yxtrang thought very
highly of Jela and his tree (about the only thing the Yxtrang and
_anybody_ else agreed on), and Cantra's face was on the money, it was
interesting to learn _why_ they were so highly regarded.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-12-27 03:48:14 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Hey,
I had read some of the Scout books when local publisher, Meisha Merlin,
got rid of all their old stock years ago. I picked up a bunch of nice
editions but didn't have room for them and they ended up in boxes.
After my most recent move, I finally have space for everything and
started reading _Cyrstal Soldier_. What a delight to read their stuff
again. I'm about halfway through and love it so far. So, next I was
planning on the other Crystal book then _Balance of Trade_
Is that the order most people would recommend? I guess I'll continue
with the internal chronology after that unless there's one or two
people think aren't worth the read or should get bumped up in
the queue.
It's been really fun reading so far
I read them in the order the books were written. Just finished a
re-read of most of them (a few more of the recent ones to go). Very
good. Remind me strongly of James Schmitz' best work.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Default User
2018-12-27 23:21:08 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I read them in the order the books were written. Just finished a
re-read of most of them (a few more of the recent ones to go). Very
good. Remind me strongly of James Schmitz' best work.
They are the sort of thing that I should in theory enjoy, but I don't
that much. I've tried a few different times.

Part of it is the whole "clan duties" stuff. I find that uninteresting.

Brian
Joe Morris
2018-12-28 18:37:53 UTC
Post by Default User
Part of it is the whole "clan duties" stuff. I find that uninteresting.
It's just a little extra texture; like the old novels
of manners. Building up tension between what is
expected vs what is "right" adds to the story.

I think that's one of the problems with writing mainstream
fiction right now: nothing is really expected of a person by
society, so whole swaths of conflict don't "seem real".
Imagine if Antigone hadn't thought she should bury
her brother: no story

Oh, well. Different strokes
2018-12-29 00:28:23 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Post by Default User
Part of it is the whole "clan duties" stuff. I find that
uninteresting.
It's just a little extra texture; like the old novels
of manners. Building up tension between what is
expected vs what is "right" adds to the story.
Maybe for you. For me it as a frequent irritant. It's not like I'm
making a Dorothy-style snap decision. I read several of the novels and
recently a bunch of the short-story collections.

Brian

Michael R N Dolbear
2018-12-28 00:55:39 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I read them in the order the books were written. Just finished a
re-read of most of them (a few more of the recent ones to go). Very
good. Remind me strongly of James Schmitz' best work.

I think you mean "Published Order"

I seem to recall that Our Authors mentioned one was written first and
published second.
Mike D
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-12-28 02:00:05 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I read them in the order the books were written. Just finished a
re-read of most of them (a few more of the recent ones to go). Very
good. Remind me strongly of James Schmitz' best work.
I think you mean "Published Order"
I seem to recall that Our Authors mentioned one was written first and
published second.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant, as Horton says. Or at
least, I go by "The order in which the books were written" list on
Sharon Lee's page.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Lynn McGuire
2018-12-28 02:49:42 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I read them in the order the books were written. Just finished a
re-read of most of them (a few more of the recent ones to go). Very
good. Remind me strongly of James Schmitz' best work.
I think you mean "Published Order"
I seem to recall that Our Authors mentioned one was written first and
published second.
    I meant what I said and I said what I meant, as Horton says. Or at
least, I go by "The order in which the books were written" list on
Sharon Lee's page.
I guess that you mean this page edited by Sharon Lee in 2017 ???
www.korval.com/publication-list/correct-reading-order/

Which has:

"The order in which the books were written:"

"Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, Local Custom,
Scout’s Progress, I Dare, Balance of Trade, Crystal Soldier, Crystal
Dragon, Fledgling, Saltation, Mouse and Dragon, Ghost Ship, Dragon Ship,
Necessity’s Child, Trade Secret, Dragon in Exile, Alliance of Equals,
The Gathering Edge, Neogenesis"

"Internal Chronology:"

"Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon, Balance of Trade, Trade Secret, Local
Custom, Scout’s Progress, Mouse and Dragon, Conflict of Honors, Agent of
Change, Carpe Diem, Plan B, Fledgling, I Dare, Saltation, Ghost Ship,
Necessity’s Child*, Dragon Ship*, Dragon in Exile*, The Gathering Edge*,
Alliance of Equals*, Neogenesis*"

2018-12-28 03:26:04 UTC
On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 20:49:42 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
[...]
I would suggest that one read that entire page instead of relying on
that excerpt, as there is some other good information there, like
which stories form a sequence, which ones can be read standalone, and
other information concerning the relationships between them.
Lynn McGuire
2018-12-28 19:54:24 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
[...]
I agree. I just excerpted the bare necessity.

2018-12-27 05:01:33 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Hey,
I had read some of the Scout books when local publisher, Meisha Merlin,
got rid of all their old stock years ago. I picked up a bunch of nice
editions but didn't have room for them and they ended up in boxes.
After my most recent move, I finally have space for everything and
started reading _Cyrstal Soldier_. What a delight to read their stuff
again. I'm about halfway through and love it so far. So, next I was
planning on the other Crystal book then _Balance of Trade_
Is that the order most people would recommend? I guess I'll continue
with the internal chronology after that unless there's one or two
people think aren't worth the read or should get bumped up in
the queue.
It's been really fun reading so far
From my previous Liaden Universe book reviews:

OK, based on my last contentious experience of trying to order the
books, here is my reading order by book, not story (I read a book at a
time):
1, 2, 3: _The Crystal Variation_ omnibus of _The Crytal Soldier_, _The
Crystal Dragon_ and_Balance of Trade_
4: _Trade Secret_
5, 6, 7: _The Dragon Variation_ omnibus of _Local Custom_, _Scout's
Progress_ and _Conflict of Honors_:
8: _Mouse and Dragon_:
9, 10: _The Agent Gambit_ omnibus of _Agent of Change_ and _Carpe Diem_:
11, 12: _Korval's Game_ omnibus of _Plan B_ and _I Dare_:
13: _Fledgling_:
14: _Saltation_:
15: _Ghost Ship_
16: _Dragon Ship_
17: _Necessity's Child_
18: _Trade Secret_
19: _Dragon in Exile_
20: _Alliance Of Equals_

From Jessica, "for what it's worth, here is the authors' own commentary
on reading order":
www.korval.com/publication-list/correct-reading-order/

2018-12-27 21:36:56 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Hey,
I had read some of the Scout books when local publisher, Meisha Merlin,
got rid of all their old stock years ago. I picked up a bunch of nice
editions but didn't have room for them and they ended up in boxes.
After my most recent move, I finally have space for everything and
started reading _Cyrstal Soldier_. What a delight to read their stuff
again. I'm about halfway through and love it so far. So, next I was
planning on the other Crystal book then _Balance of Trade_
Is that the order most people would recommend? I guess I'll continue
with the internal chronology after that unless there's one or two
people think aren't worth the read or should get bumped up in
the queue.
It's been really fun reading so far
In general, I think publication order is the best bet. You wouldn't tell
anyone to start "Star Wars" with "The Phantom Menace", would you? (not
that there's any comparison here!)
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-12-27 23:10:38 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
[...]
If the series is generally good, order isn't THAT important. I read the
Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order. My introduction to the
Lensman series was Second Stage Lensmen.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\