[OT] Bad News for Hal (and other California computer users)
2021-08-16 20:45:42 UTC
On Monday, August 16, 2021 at 8:59:57 AM UTC-6, Jibini Kula
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:52:05 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 18:49:32 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 1:46:43 PM UTC-6, Chris
Very often. They will present the facts that support the
liberal position and ignore the facts that oppose that
position. They do an good job (in their news articles as
opposed to bylined columns) at presenting only correct
facts, though sometimes you have to read carefully
because they are professional writers. A few examples off
Ah, yes. They only have so much paper, so they will use it
on the stories that they feel are newsworthy - important
for people to know about.
Incidentally, I've just found an area in which I am in
strong disagreement with the editorial policy of the
Washington Post.
They seem to think it's a good idea for the U.S. to
withdraw its troops from Afghanistan *even if that means
that it will fall to the Taliban*, thus throwing away the
gallant sacrifices of the men and women who served there in
order to end the Taliban threat forever.
Perhaps less "gallant sacrificing" and more "nation
building" would have been a better idea.
I mean, after twenty years we failed to produce a society
that could fend for itself?
/That/ is the real failure.
Indeed. 20 years isn't nearly long enough to fundamentally
alter a culture. Nation building worked in Germany because
the culture was largely the same to begin with. It worked in
Japan because the old culture committed to the change. It
would take multiple generations, until after everyone living
the now is long dead, to force any change in Afganistan.
The only way Afganistan will ever change is if someone
conquers it _to keep forever_, and kills a pretty significant
percentage of the population for generations. Which is never
oing to happen.
I'm not talking about /changing the culture/; I'm talking
about /building the nation/.
And that is your error. Nation building is pointless without
the cultural change. It's the same mistake every politician has
made for 20 years.
I've just listened to President Biden's speech.
Did he use complete setences?
I heard at least one thing I liked in it.
No doubt.
He stated that he informed the Taliban that he would not
tolerate, and he would retaliate with overwhelming force, if
they interfered with U.S. forces evacuating the Afghans who
wished to leave the country.
And I'm sure they'll give that all the consideration it's due, same
as a sternly worded letter from the UN.
If he holds to those words,
Heh.
and the Afghans who seek to escape
from the Taliban are indeed able to do so, then I will be
reasonably content.
Like so many, you aer assuming that the brutal deaths of those who
supported the Trump administrations policies is not one of the
specific goals. That's a pretty big assumption, given the current
junta.

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

2021-08-17 04:38:44 UTC
I've just listened to President Biden's speech.
I heard at least one thing I liked in it.
He stated that he informed the Taliban that he would not tolerate,
and he would retaliate with overwhelming force, if they interfered with
U.S. forces evacuating the Afghans who wished to leave the country.
Do you think he means to declare war and perhaps invade Afghanistan?
That should work.
Quadibloc
2021-08-17 05:38:47 UTC
Post by Titus G
He stated that he informed the Taliban that he would not tolerate,
and he would retaliate with overwhelming force, if they interfered with
U.S. forces evacuating the Afghans who wished to leave the country.
Do you think he means to declare war and perhaps invade Afghanistan?
That should work.
It may not have led to the extirpation of the Taliban, but for 20 years, there
was air service out of the country. So it should be possible to fulfill a more
modest goal by that means.

2021-08-17 15:35:03 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 13:26:23 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:52:05 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 18:49:32 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 1:46:43 PM UTC-6, Chris
Very often. They will present the facts that support the
liberal position and ignore the facts that oppose that
position. They do an good job (in their news articles as
opposed to bylined columns) at presenting only correct
facts, though sometimes you have to read carefully because
they are professional writers. A few examples off the top of
[...]
If he holds to those words, and the Afghans who seek to escape from
the Taliban are indeed able to do so, then I will be reasonably content.
The Taliban /appears/ to be talking about letting everyone leave who
wishes to.

They may also be motivated by a desire to get Germany's economic aid
turned back on.

And maybe to be recognized by more countries than Pakistan and a few
others.
2021-08-17 15:58:58 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
The Taliban /appears/ to be talking about letting everyone leave who
wishes to.
They may also be motivated by a desire to get Germany's economic aid
turned back on.
And maybe to be recognized by more countries than Pakistan and a few
others.
Of course, "appears" is right. We remember the Hundred Flowers Campaign.

John Savard
pete...@gmail.com
2021-08-17 18:17:20 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
The Taliban /appears/ to be talking about letting everyone leave who
wishes to.
They may also be motivated by a desire to get Germany's economic aid
turned back on.
And maybe to be recognized by more countries than Pakistan and a few
others.
Of course, "appears" is right. We remember the Hundred Flowers Campaign.
China and Russia are both vying to make the next move in The Great Game.

My money's on China; Russia's invasion is too recent to be forgotten.