Exordium questions (no spoilers)
Add Reply
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-02 13:49:12 UTC
A few days ago, I finished "The Thrones of Kronos" the 5th & final
entry in the Exordium series. I enjoyed this series, and I thought the
final book tied up just about everything well.

That said, there was one big honkin' huge issue that was
introduced in this book and it was quite openly left unresolved.

Does anyone know if Smith&Trowbridge were ever planning a sequel?
I can't find anything online.

Also, I have the original versions of the first two books. Are there
significant differences in the two rewritten/revised versions?

Thanks,
Tony
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-07-02 14:13:26 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
A few days ago, I finished "The Thrones of Kronos" the 5th & final
entry in the Exordium series. I enjoyed this series, and I thought the
final book tied up just about everything well.
That said, there was one big honkin' huge issue that was
introduced in this book and it was quite openly left unresolved.
Does anyone know if Smith&Trowbridge were ever planning a sequel?
I can't find anything online.
Also, I have the original versions of the first two books. Are there
significant differences in the two rewritten/revised versions?
Thanks,
Tony
This was one of my favorite series: From high tragedy to low humor, all
done with a certain dash & verve.

I don't have the answer to your questions; just wanted to throw in a
'like' as I do every few years.

The authors have posted here at least once. If you search back, you may
find their comments on the revised versions.
2019-07-02 20:56:35 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
A few days ago, I finished "The Thrones of Kronos" the 5th & final
entry in the Exordium series. I enjoyed this series,
snip
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
This was one of my favorite series: From high tragedy to low humor, all
done with a certain dash & verve.
Given the number of books you read, I will add these to my TBR list and
hopefully thank you both later.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-07-02 22:40:02 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
This was one of my favorite series: From high tragedy to low humor, all
done with a certain dash & verve.
Given the number of books you read, I will add these to my TBR list and
hopefully thank you both later.
I don't know why these weren't huge hits.

Please do chime in when you finish.
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-03 11:12:52 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
This was one of my favorite series: From high tragedy to low humor, all
done with a certain dash & verve.
Given the number of books you read, I will add these to my TBR list and
hopefully thank you both later.
I don't know if my experience will be relevant to yours, but I found the first one
was hard to get into. Not just slow getting going (which it was), but the authors
laid it on pretty heavy making sure we knew just how bad The Bad Guys are.
Once I got used to it, it was pretty darn good.

Tony
Titus G
2019-07-10 05:53:12 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Titus G
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
A few days ago, I finished "The Thrones of Kronos" the 5th &
final entry in the Exordium series. I enjoyed this series,
snip
This was one of my favorite series: From high tragedy to low
humor, all done with a certain dash & verve.
Given the number of books you read, I will add these to my TBR list
and hopefully thank you both later.
I don't know if my experience will be relevant to yours, but I found
the first one was hard to get into. Not just slow getting going
(which it was), but the authors laid it on pretty heavy making sure
we knew just how bad The Bad Guys are. Once I got used to it, it was
pretty darn good.
Tony
I have read a few chapters of The Phoenix in Flight and am enjoying the
writing but have been overwhelmed by the difficult names and honorifics
of people and names of places. This has caused some confusion requiring
some rereading but the political background, intrigues and characters
seem to be developing very quickly and I am looking forward to reading more.
Titus G
2019-07-15 03:42:14 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Titus G
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
“His Royal Highness, the Krysarch Brandon Takari Burgess Njoye Willam su
Gelasaar y Ilara nyr Arkad de Mandala!”

There is a lot of detail and although enjoyable whilst reading it is too
easily forgettable as are the named "Redshirts".

I like the words they invent such as nonauz, the handheld spray to
prevent vomiting in a space suit, and slubs, inferior manual workers,
and I have had to look up many new words such as:
fulgent
benison
tenebrous
decretal
hecatomb
all of which will shortly be forgotten.

But I am enjoying book 1 more than you. It is pretty darn good.
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-15 11:13:49 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Titus G
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
Oh good - I am glad to hear that; and (to me) it gets better as you go along.
- Tony
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-07-15 14:46:31 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Titus G
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
I know all of those.

The time I had to look up words was with Brin's _The Uplift War._
There were words I didn't have to look up, such as "atrichic"
(hairless) and "bromopnean" (having stinky breath), neither of
which I had seen before, nor were they in any dictionary I could
find, but I could figure them out from the Greek roots.

Both terms applied to humans by other species.
Gene Wirchenko
2019-07-15 22:14:25 UTC
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 14:46:31 GMT, ***@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

[snip]
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I know all of those.
I am topped.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
The time I had to look up words was with Brin's _The Uplift War._
There were words I didn't have to look up, such as "atrichic"
(hairless) and "bromopnean" (having stinky breath), neither of
which I had seen before, nor were they in any dictionary I could
find, but I could figure them out from the Greek roots.
Both terms applied to humans by other species.
Odd words can be interesting. My favourite, in that sense, is
"ascii" which means those who do not cast a shadow. Do not confuse it
with "ASCII", the character set.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-07-15 22:23:39 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I know all of those.
I am topped.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
The time I had to look up words was with Brin's _The Uplift War._
There were words I didn't have to look up, such as "atrichic"
(hairless) and "bromopnean" (having stinky breath), neither of
which I had seen before, nor were they in any dictionary I could
find, but I could figure them out from the Greek roots.
Both terms applied to humans by other species.
Odd words can be interesting. My favourite, in that sense, is
"ascii" which means those who do not cast a shadow. Do not confuse it
with "ASCII", the character set.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
So is that like vampires or the forgotten of history?
David Goldfarb
2019-07-16 03:31:28 UTC
Post by Titus G
fulgent
benison
tenebrous
decretal
hecatomb
all of which will shortly be forgotten.
I know all of those.
I know them also, except for "decretal". Honestly, I wouldn't have
thought that "benison" or "hecatomb" were even particularly obscure.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
The time I had to look up words was with Brin's _The Uplift War._
There were words I didn't have to look up, such as "atrichic"
(hairless) and "bromopnean" (having stinky breath), neither of
which I had seen before, nor were they in any dictionary I could
find, but I could figure them out from the Greek roots.
I recall that. I was 19 when the book came out, and didn't have
enough Greek to work them out on my own. I finally settled for
just being mystified.
--
David Goldfarb |"I'm reconsidering my desire to go to college, as
***@gmail.com | from what I've seen on this group it drives one
William Hyde
2019-07-15 22:49:51 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Titus G
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
If you read Jack Vance you'll get plenty of practice with them.

William Hyde