Different Flesh: Today's Dose of Pessimism
2019-12-01 23:12:08 UTC
Just came across this science news article:

http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/anthropology/neanderthals-denisovans-archaic-humans-victims-sixth-mass-extinction-07858.html

Just what one might need for a jaundiced view of the human race.

In humanity's defense, of course, if this is just the natural outcome of human
populations growing exponentially, something true of every other life form, then
we're not uniquely violent. As our technology has now expanded to include
contraception, there's even hope we could mend our ways.

2019-12-01 23:47:33 UTC
http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/anthropology/neanderthals-denisovans-archaic-humans-victims-sixth-mass-extinction-07858.html
Just what one might need for a jaundiced view of the human race.
In humanity's defense, of course, if this is just the natural outcome of human
populations growing exponentially, something true of every other life form, then
we're not uniquely violent. As our technology has now expanded to include
contraception, there's even hope we could mend our ways.
I'm reminded of a line from a BBC documentary on hominins that
didn't survive to the present day: "In order to become extinct,
it is not necessary to fail; one just has to succeed less often."