Minimum Effort Worldbuilding
2019-05-08 21:27:37 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./

This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-08 21:53:02 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Trn doesn't show me a previous post in which you or somebody
might have listed the actual title of this work (or, more
helpfully, an English translation thereof).

Would you care to tell us what you're talking about? I only ask
because I want to know.

As you describe it, it's *vaguely* reminiscent of Wrede's _Caught
in Crystal,_ in which a former swordswoman is called by her former
order to do deeds of daring ... and she has to take her children
along, since there's nobody else to care for them.
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 22:16:14 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Trn doesn't show me a previous post in which you or somebody
might have listed the actual title of this work (or, more
helpfully, an English translation thereof).
Would you care to tell us what you're talking about? I only ask
because I want to know. [snip]
The title of this light novel series is, as David wrote, "Even
Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are
Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle".

It may be on the long side, but then the full title of _Robinson
Crusoe_ was "The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson
Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all
alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the
Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by
Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account
how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates".
2019-05-08 22:43:14 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[...]
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Robinson_Crusoe_1719_1st_edition.jpg
Well, son-of-a-gun.

I hardly dare to ask, what's the title of the first volume? Or
is it simply what-he-said, Volume One?
Actually the title of the first volume is just "Adventurer".
David Johnston
2019-05-08 23:34:39 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Trn doesn't show me a previous post in which you or somebody
might have listed the actual title of this work (or, more
helpfully, an English translation thereof).
The actual (translated) title of the work is "Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute And Working As An
Adventurer Isn't Too Much Of A Hassle." When you write in kanji, where
each character is a whole word, you can stick a lot of words on a book
cover.
https://mwmtranslations.com/2018/10/27/single-mother-adventures-prologue-1/
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 23:57:28 UTC
[snip-snip]
Would you care to tell us what you're talking about? I only ask
because I want to know.
https://mwmtranslations.com/2018/10/27/single-mother-adventures-prologue-1/
Note that the name of the Web site is "Mistakes Were Made" and that
their motto is "Bad translations, delivered fresh."
Robert Carnegie
2019-05-08 23:11:31 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
First of all, one of these things is not entirely
like the others, if (having glimpsed some artwork)
that's actual demons. (And presumably a demoncracy?)

Of course you're preaching mostly to misnamed "America".
People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast the first
stones. And I'm in "The United Kingdom" - which
admittedly likewise has a longer title... too long,
really.
Post by David Johnston
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Surely we can shorten it. It's practically a cryptic
crossword line. Let's see...

Words to consider using:
Single (keep that)
Lady
Poppet. Or Moppet. Whichever works.
(I presume "too cute" means "superfluously" not
"inconveniently". And "single mother" implies minors.)
Freelance.
Easy. (Careful - is it that kind of book?)

In fact, there seem to be a few references online to
"Former Noble and Single Mother". Handier. Possibly
two words in Japanese. Or one, if it happens a lot.

"That's Why The Lady Tramps" might work.

I'm going for "Lone She-Wolf and Cubs", but maybe so
are the lawyers.
Kevrob
2019-05-08 23:53:00 UTC
Post by David Johnston
[...]
"One Slay at a Time?"

Digression:

I remember Bonnie Franklin, and the very young
Mackenzie Phillips* and Valerie Bertinelli. Both
would have been too young for me to date during
my high school years, in whatever parallel universe
that would allow for that possibility.

* ObSFTV: "So Weird"

ODAAT was remade in 2017 and shown through Netflix.

I saw Ms Franklin on Broadway in "Applause" back in
the early 70s. She was older than I am by a dozen years,
but cute as a bug. see: Slightly NSFW* clip from
the Tony awards?

Lauren Bacall was in that show. Hollywood glamour,
seen from "Row O" of the highest balcony of The Palace
when I was all of 15. Real Uecker seats.

* Brief bare male buttocks.

2019-05-09 01:48:12 UTC
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Looks like Mackenzie finally got her act together. I didn't realize
she was in the remake. Might give it a watch sometime.
http://youtu.be/89DzMDC6gws
2019-05-09 00:08:45 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
First of all, one of these things is not entirely
like the others, if (having glimpsed some artwork)
that's actual demons. (And presumably a demoncracy?)
Well the head of Shirley's Adventurer Guild is a demon and more impish
trickster than minion of Satan.
Post by David Johnston
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Surely we can shorten it. It's practically a cryptic
crossword line. Let's see...
Single (keep that)
Lady
Poppet. Or Moppet. Whichever works.
(I presume "too cute" means "superfluously" not
"inconveniently".
"Extremely" would be closer to the mark. Too cute to sling into the
orphanage and go seek revenge on their father.

Post by Robert Carnegie
Freelance.
Easy. (Careful - is it that kind of book?)
In fact, there seem to be a few references online to
"Former Noble and Single Mother". Handier. Possibly
two words in Japanese. Or one, if it happens a lot.
No. The romanji version of the title is: Moto Kizoku Reijou de Mikon
no Haha Desuga, Musumetachi ga Kawaii Sugite Boukenshagyo mo Ku ni Narimasen

Motomusu for short.
Post by Robert Carnegie
"That's Why The Lady Tramps" might work.
I'm going for "Lone She-Wolf and Cubs", but maybe so
are the lawyers.
Oddly she isn't itinerant. She frequently gets to her work by renting a
domesticated dragon to ride while her landlady babysits. The series
starts out super-dramatic and then swerves into comedy. r
Ahasuerus
2019-05-09 15:56:34 UTC
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 8:08:48 PM UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:
[snip-snip]
Post by David Johnston
(I presume "too cute" means "superfluously" not "inconveniently".
"Extremely" would be closer to the mark. Too cute to sling into the
orphanage and go seek revenge on their father. [snip]
The Japanese idea of what "cute" is -- at least as presented in
light novels -- is rather peculiar.

Granted, it's common for humans to think of young children as "cute",
which presumably helps to prevent adults from bashing kids' brains
in. However, Japanese light novel authors seem to consider "being
helpless", "behaving foolishly" and "acting as a young child" as part
of "being cute" even when the person in question is no longer a young
child.

For example, here is something that I came across the other day:
"[she] squealed in an unexpectedly adorable manner", where the "she"
in question is a teenage girl of considerable skill and a champion
of justice (as she understands it.)
Robert Carnegie
2019-05-09 22:27:25 UTC
I may have said before that classical, opaquely titled
Chinese novel _The Water Margin_ could perfectly well have
been televised as _Tales of the Riverbank_.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Water_Margin_(1973_TV_series)>
"adapted to English using only brief plot synopses"

<http://canalrivertrustwaterfront.org.uk/culture/tales-of-the-riverbank/>
Ahasuerus
2019-05-09 02:07:06 UTC
/On the largest continent currently identified, there were five
independent nations. The Kingdom, The Empire, The Duchy, The Theocracy
and the Land of Demons./
This is the opening of the second volume of Even Though I'm a Former
Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters are too Cute and Working as an
Adventurer Isn't Too Much of a Hassle. The Japanese have such pithy
titles, don't you think?
Perhaps it's a cultural thing. For example, there are two "kingdoms"
in the _Overlord_ universe: Roble Holy Kingdom and Re-Estize Kingdom.
In the amateur translation, the latter is referred to as simply
"Kingdom", even by the denizens of the former. It seemes rather odd,
but perhaps it makes more sense in Japanese.