Possible Solution to Local Covid-19 Virus.
2020-03-20 04:47:11 UTC
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Alan Baker
2020-03-20 04:51:06 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
You get that you could automatically kill every post that starts with
"OT:", right?

If you don't know how... ...I'd be happy to explain it.

:-)
Titus G
2020-03-20 05:00:52 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
Alan Baker
2020-03-20 05:05:09 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...

...how is that your concern?

Again:

Simply "Ignore Thread"s that don't interest you.

There's even an option to "Ignore Subthread".
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-03-20 14:47:51 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.

You enter a lot of killfiles if you pick the wrong one, which means further
posting is nothing but masturbation. Is it even communication if no-one sees
it?

Despite largely agreeing with you, you've been in my killfile for years -
until I changed my newsreader recently. You're going back in now, having
picked your side.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it"
-- Philip K Dick
Alan Baker
2020-03-20 15:37:05 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Which means that you only post about books, does it?
Cheers - Jaimie
h***@gmail.com
2020-03-21 04:50:37 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Which means that you only post about books, does it?
It means that starting off topic threads is rude.

Topic drift happens in threads and a fair amount of them end up with more off-topic than on-topic discussion

If you want to discuss covid-19 there are lots of places where it's on-topic
Alan Baker
2020-03-21 05:39:45 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Which means that you only post about books, does it?
It means that starting off topic threads is rude.
Oh, please.

I bet you've started off topic threads from time to time...

...and I bet you haven't labeled them "OT:"
h***@gmail.com
Labelling it doesn't mean it's not rude.
Alan Baker
2020-03-21 05:44:57 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Which means that you only post about books, does it?
It means that starting off topic threads is rude.
Topic drift happens in threads and a fair amount of them end up with more off-topic than on-topic discussion
If you want to discuss covid-19 there are lots of places where it's on-topic
Christ on a crutch!

You are all over dozens of off-topic threads without so much as batting
an eye.
h***@gmail.com
2020-03-21 08:54:05 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Which means that you only post about books, does it?
It means that starting off topic threads is rude.
Topic drift happens in threads and a fair amount of them end up with more off-topic than on-topic discussion
If you want to discuss covid-19 there are lots of places where it's on-topic
Christ on a crutch!
You are all over dozens of off-topic threads without so much as batting
an eye.
I'm not the one starting bucketloads of off-topic threads.
Yes, I do comment on a lot of off-topic discussion but I would very, very rarely be the person who starts the drift off topic

There are probably people who find my input annoying (and not just Shawn and Lynn because I regularly disagree with them) but it's probably a lot less annoying than you continuously starting off-topic threads
Alan Baker
2020-03-21 17:19:59 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 2:37:07 AM UTC+11, Alan Baker
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
[...]
And yet you happily contribute to them.

So your complaint here boils down to:

"This particular off-topic thread I don't like!"
There are probably people who find my input annoying (and not just
Shawn and Lynn because I regularly disagree with them) but it's
probably a lot less annoying than you continuously starting off-topic
threads
You have the option of killfiling EVERY THREAD that starts with "OT:".

If you don't have the option in software, you have the option of simply
NOT READING THEM.

You're a hypocrite and a whiner.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-20 20:34:33 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there
would be more posts about books?
Actually, I have learnt a lot from the discussions here and from
references provided. (But couldn't resist a dig.)
And am not upset but don't recall Baker posting about his reading.
And even if I haven't...
....how is that your concern?
RASFW is a community of book chatterers. And trolls. Pick a side.
Well, it *used* to be about SF/F fandom and fans, including
everything that would be of interest to fans, with cats, Jewish
minutiae, and chocolate high on the list.
2020-03-20 10:26:37 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
There's Lynn McGuire also contributing.

And, yes, let us stick to science fiction.
The actual apocalyptic plague is off topic, except
for whether it can be transmitted by sharing books,
and whether the virus lasts longer on acid-free paper
or is killed by metallic ornamentation on the cover.

Keep it SF: you can post tomorrow's disease statistics
today if you'd like.
James Nicoll
2020-03-20 13:28:18 UTC
for whether it can be transmitted by sharing books,
and whether the virus lasts longer on acid-free paper
or is killed by metallic ornamentation on the cover.
Angry Robot is having a sale on _e_books....
2020-03-20 14:24:18 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Or, killfile him and hit 'n' when anybody responds to him?
2020-03-20 18:17:00 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Or, killfile him and hit 'n' when anybody responds to him?
I killfiled him long since. And Titus. And Starfaker. And ...

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-03-21 00:21:21 UTC
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Or, killfile him and hit 'n' when anybody responds to him?
I killfiled him long since.  And Titus.  And Starfaker.  And ...
...anyone who calls you on your bullshit.

:-)
William Hyde
2020-03-21 18:14:04 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Or, killfile him and hit 'n' when anybody responds to him?
I killfiled him long since.  And Titus.  And Starfaker.  And ...
...anyone who calls you on your bullshit.
:-)
No, he hasn't killfiled me.

William Hyde
Titus G
2020-03-21 21:01:28 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Titus G
If everybody simply agrees to agree with Alan Baker, perhaps there would
be more posts about books?
Or, killfile him and hit 'n' when anybody responds to him?
I killfiled him long since.  And Titus.  And Starfaker.  And ...
...anyone who calls you on your bullshit.
:-)
No, he hasn't killfiled me.
William Hyde
You are suspected and accused of infinite patience and politeness.
ObSF The Strange Case of Doctor Baker and Mr Hyde.