Opinions: John Scalzi vs. Elizabeth Moon?
JohnH.
2008-02-25 17:45:42 UTC
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?

I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.

Thanks,
John
Travis Foster
2008-02-25 18:12:34 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
Brion K. Lienhart
2008-02-25 21:01:43 UTC
Post by Travis Foster
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
I don't think I've ever read any of Scalzi's stuff. In Moon's earlier
series she had a tendency to go overboard on how EEEEEVVVIILLLL her
protagonists where, but IMO, she's reined in that tendency in the latest
series. I enjoyed her earlier books, and I liked these a lot too. Enough
that I bought them in hardcover, I usually buy a half dozen or less HC
per year.
Wayne Throop
2008-02-25 23:55:38 UTC
: "Brion K. Lienhart" <***@lienhart.name>
: I don't think I've ever read any of Scalzi's stuff. In Moon's earlier
: series she had a tendency to go overboard on how EEEEEVVVIILLLL her
: protagonists where, but IMO, she's reined in that tendency in the latest
: series. I enjoyed her earlier books, and I liked these a lot too. Enough
: that I bought them in hardcover, I usually buy a half dozen or less HC
: per year.

Well, even in Vatta's War, the villians are pretty eeeevil.
Nasty to the point of counterproductivity. But I suppose that could
be just stupidity rather than malignity.

IMO Scalzi is a tad better. The last book in Vatta's War (or... it
seems to be the last) seems to fall a bit flat. Sure, it's tying off
lots of loose ends from earilier books, and thus might seem to be a bit
anticlimactic, but the whole book really has a "then the good guys win,
happyending" feel to it. Things that had been intractable problems in
earlier books just sort of evaporate with little comment or machination
in the last. Hrm.

Though come to think of it, Scalzi's "Last Colony" has a similar feel.
But (IMO) not as bad.

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
Bill Patterson
2008-02-26 15:20:28 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
[...]
I dunno -- I was very taken with the "things are NEVER what they seem"
conclusion of The Last Colony (I just ordered the last of the Vatta's
War books so can't say about it yet).

I will say, Scalzi is becoming richer and more densely textured with
every book in a much more visible way than Moon (no denigration to
Moon at all). The comparison to my mind links Scalzi more with
Charlie Stross up to Glasshouse and Halting State. Now if Stross
could only start the Merchant Princes series over *now* and write it
as the writer he has become . . . (the principal character might not
be so annoying).
erilar
2008-02-26 17:29:13 UTC
Post by Travis Foster
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Wayne Throop
2008-02-26 18:13:23 UTC
: erilar <***@chibardun.net.invalid>
: Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
: there I may have missed?

Harlan Ellision's "A Boy and His Dog"?
Simak's "City"?
And there are dog-based moreaus in Swannn's "frank/moreau" stories.
But I guess they aren't promminent (though one of the early sets of
bad guys are afghan).

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
erilar
2008-02-26 22:48:07 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
: Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
: there I may have missed?
Harlan Ellision's "A Boy and His Dog"?
Simak's "City"?
And there are dog-based moreaus in Swannn's "frank/moreau" stories.
But I guess they aren't promminent (though one of the early sets of
bad guys are afghan).
Oh, "City" came to mind as soon as I wrote the question above. I ought
to dig it out and read it again.

douglas winston
2008-02-27 00:29:26 UTC
: erilar
: Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs,though. Any good dog sf out
: there I may have missed?

SF List containing at least one Dog (real or imaginary)
Title: Author: Dog name, description:
_7 Steps to Midnight_by Richard Matheson p.41: Bart,dog;
"A Bitch in Time",by Doranna Durgin p.160: Shiba,linehound;
_A Cavern of Black Ice_by J.V.Jones: Old Scratch,shankshound;
_A Child Across the Sky_by Jonathan Carroll: Flea,Shar-Pei dog;
_A Choice of Gods_by Clifford D.Simak: Bowser,dog;
_A Fortress of Grey Ice_by J.V.Jones: Town Dog,dog;
"A Letter from the Clearys",by Connie Willis: Rusty,dog;
_A Lick of Frost_by Laurell K.Hamilton p.120: Mungo,dog;
_A Man Betrayed_by J.V.Jones: Shakindra(Shark),boar-hound;
_A Meeting at Corvallis_by S.M.Stirling: Ulf,big shaggy brown dog;
_A Night in the Lonesome October_by Roger Zelazny p.1: Snuff,dog;
_A Plague of Demons_by Keith Laumer: Bowser,dog name;
_A Quantum Murder_by Peter F.Hamilton: Sparky,Alsatian;
"Adam and No Eve",by Alfred Bester: Umber,mastiff;
_Against the Tide of Years_by S.M.Stirling p.77: Semper Fido,dog;
_Agyar_by Steven Brust p.82: Pepper,brown&white terrier;
_Alien Taste_by Wen Spencer p.266: Radar,sheepdog;
_All the Rage_by F.Paul Wilson: Manfred,rottweiler;
_All the Way to the Gallows_by David Drake p.127: Harbie,dog;
_All Together Dead_by Charlaine Harris p.204: Annie,Catahoula;
"Allamagoosa",by Eric Frank Russell: Peaslake,dog;
_Already Dead_by Charlie Huston p.71: Gristle,dog;
_American Beauty_by Allen M.Steele p.149: Jake(Six Of Eight),mutt;
_American Gods_by Neil Gaiman: Goldie,purebred retriever;
_Anansi Boys_by Neil Gaiman p.4: Goofy,boxer;
_Animist_by Eve Forward p.20: Grub,brown dog;
_Anvil_by Nicolas van Pallandt: Laiza,dog;
_Arc of the Dream_by A.A.Attanasio: Hunza,Scot terrier;
_Assassin's Quest_by Robin Hobb: Smithy,terrier;
_Beggars & Choosers_by Nancy Kress: Katous,dog;
_Beowulf's Children,by Niven,Pournelle&Barnes: Rascal,dog;
_Beyond Control_by Rebecca York p.29: Digger,dog;
_Bite Me If You Can_by Lynsay Sands p.323: Dolly,border collie;
_Blackcollar:The Judas Solution_by Timothy Zahn: Joe Pup,Labrador;
_Blood Drive_by Jeanne C.Stein p.83: Cujo,dog;
"Blood of Nalakia",by James H.Schmitz 0-671-57851-0: Sally,elaig;
_Blood Price_by Tanya Huff p.27: Owen,mastiff;
_Blood Rites_by Jim Butcher p.371: Mouse,dog;
_Bloodhunt_by Lee Killough p.179: Cochise,black&tan dog;
_Bloody Bones_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Raven,black poodle;
_Born to Exile_by Phyllis Eisenstein: Delf,dog;
_Brain Wave_by Poul Anderson: Joe,Irish setter;
_Bug Park_by James P.Hogan: Bach,dog;
_Burning Bridges_by Laura Anne Gilman p.250: Ripper,dog;
_Callahan's Key_by Spider Robinson: Ralph von Wau Wau,shepherd;
_Cally's War_by John Ringo&Julie Cochrane: Sandy,mostly retriever;
_Camouflage_by Joe Haldeman p.29: Ronnie,German shepherd;
_Carpe Diem_by Steve Miller & Sharon Lee: Borril,dog;
_Carthage Ascendant_by Mary Gentle: Brifault,dog;
_Castle War!_by John DeChancie p.185: Cerberus,dog;
_Changing Planes_by Ursula K.LeGuin p.15: Rover,poodle;
_Chimera_by Will Shetterly: Meg,Irish setter;
_Circus of the Damned_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Custard,Pomeranian;
_Crescent City Rhapsody_by Kathleen Ann Goonan: Zeit,Doberman;
_Crisscross_by F.Paul Wilson: Oyv,chihuahua;
_Dancing With Werewolves_by Carole N.Douglas: Achilles,Lhasa apso;
_Dark Lord of Derkholm_by Diana Wynne Jones p.180: Briney,dog;
_Dark Moon_by David Gemmell p.276: Stealer,dog;
_Dead as a Doornail_by Charlaine Harris p.180: Molly,Catahoula;
_Dead Witch Walking_by Kim Harrison p.52: Mr.Dinky,Chihuahua;
_Deadlocked!_by Leo P.Kelley: Spartacus,white poodle;
_DeathDay_by William C.Dietz: Buddy,black Lab;
_Deathscape_by Peter David: Mars,Doberman;
_Deathworld_by Harry Harrison p.86: Fido,dog;
_Deep Secret_by Diana Wynne Jones: Petra,dog;
_Deep Sleep_by Charles Wilson p.13: Buster,German shepherd;
_Deep Wizardry_by Diane Duane p.66: Monty,sheepdog;
_Dhampir_by Barb&J.C.Hendee p.19: Chap,large hound;
_Dies the Fire_by S.M.Stirling p.76: Cuchulain,mongrel;
_Dinner at Deviant's Palace_by Tim Powers: Lucy,dog;
_Diplomacy of Wolves_by Holly Lisle: Gashta,wolf;
_Dogsbody_by Diana Wynne Jones p.160: Bess,Labrador;
_Doorways in the Sand_by Roger Zelazny: Woof,Irish Setter;
_Double Star_by Robert A.Heinlein: Snuffles Bullyboy,bulldog;
_Draconian New York_by Robert Sheckley: Quiffy,chow;
_Dragon Bones_by Patricia Briggs p.65: Two-Spot,dog;
_Dragon Tears_by Dean Koontz p.208: Pierre,poodle;
_Dragonmaster_by Chris Bunch p.215: Storm,hound;
_Dreams Underfoot_by Charles de Lint p.332: Chuckie,lab;
_Dun Lady's Jess_by Doranna Durgin p.61: Keg,border collie;
_Earth Angel_by Raymond Obstfeld: Zorro,black lab;
_EarthRise_by William C.Dietz: Whitey,black Lab;
_East of the Sun,West of the Moon_by John Ringo p.17: Puddles,dog;
_Elf Defense_by Esther M.Friesner: Pantagruel,spaniel;
_Elvisey_by Jack Womack: Betty,chihuahua;
_Embraced By Darkness_by Keri Arthur p.76: Mitzy,little dog;
_Empire of Ivory_by Naomi Novik p.217: Nemachaen,dog;
_Enemy Mind_by Maggie Shayne p.25: Rufus,dog;
_Eternity Row_by S.L.Viehl: Max,dog;
_Exit Strategy_,Kelley Armstrong p.111: Champ,mutt-terrier;
_Expiration Date_by Tim Powers: Fred,German-shepherd mix;
_F-Cubed_by Daniel Da Cruz: Alpha,Doberman;
_Fallen Dragon_by Peter F.Hamilton p.48: Barrel,black Labrador;
_Fata Morgana_by Leo Frankowski: Boner,dog;
_Fire Me Up_by Katie MacAlister p.38: Paco,Chihuahua;
_First Rider's Call_by Kristen Britain p.204: Snowball,dog;
_Fool on the Hill_by Matt Ruff: Riva,mongrel dog;
_Fool's Gold_by Warren Murphy & Richard Sapir: Nancy,poodle;
_Forge of the Elders_by L.Neil Smith: Oasam,white dog;
_Fuzzy Sapiens_by H.Beam Piper: Diamond,dog;
_Gateways_by F.Paul Wilson p.51: Irving,tiny dog;
_Gaudeamus_by John Barnes p.274: Beeper,Rhodesian ridgeback;
"Gemstone" _The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge_: Tyrann,dog;
_Good Omens_by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett: Rover,gray dog;
"Graveyard",by Gordon R.Dickson: Calum,black hound;
_Gravity Dreams_by L.E.Modesitt,Jr.: Gershon,dog;
_Green Rider_by Kristen Britain p.264: Finder,dog;
_Habitus_by James Flint: Strelka,dog;
_Hard Landing_by Algis Budrys: Prince,dog;
_Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_by J.K.Rowling:Fang,boarhound;
_Heathern_by Jack Womack: Snoopy,dog;
_Hell's Gate_by Dean R.Koontz: Intrepid,black and tan mutt;
_Hero_by Joel Rosenberg p.30: Ton-ton,spaniel;
_High Wizardry_by Diane Duane p.74: Dudley,terrier;
_Holy Fire_by Bruce Sterling: Plato,dog;
_Hominids_by Robert J.Sawyer p.38: Pabo,reddish brown dog;
_Household Gods_by Judith Tarr & Harry Turtledove: Gaylord,dog;
_Icefalcon's Quest_by Barbara Hambly: Bright Feet,dog;
_Imperial Earth_by Arthur C.Clarke: Argus,dog;
_In Alien Hands_by William Shatner: Duke,cocker spaniel;
_In the Realm of the Wolf_by David Gemmell p.144: Scar,hound;
_Infernal Affairs_by Jane Heller: Floyd,Boxer;
_Intensity_by Dean Koontz: Muenster,Doberman;
_Interesting Times_by Terry Pratchett: Rover,dog;
_Ironhand's Daughter_by David Gemmell p.2: Lady,hound;
"It" _The Ultimate Egoist_by Theodore Sturgeon: Kimbo,dog;
_K-9 and Company_by Terence Dudley: Jasper,Alsatian;
_Kedrigern in Wanderland_by John Morressy p.64: Rumpie,dog;
_Killer Karma_by Lee Killough p.26: Tiger,dog;
_Kingdoms of Light_by Alan Dean Foster: Oskar,dog;
_Lady Knight_by Tamora Pierce p.8: Jump,dog;
_Last Call_by Tim Powers p.207: LaShane,Doberman;
_Light Music_by Kathleen Ann Goonan p.45: Justo,black dog;
_Living Dead in Dallas_by Charlaine Harris p.236: Dean,collie;
_Lost and Found_by Alan Dean Foster p.55: George,dog;
_Lost in a Good Book_by Jasper Fforde: Pixie Frou-Frou,Pekinese;
_Lucifer's Hammer_by L.Niven&J.Pournelle: Kipling,German shepherd;
_M E D U S A_by Janet&Chris Morris: Buddy,Labrador;
_Mad Maudlin_by Mercedes Lackey&Rosemary Edghill:Bingo,cocker spaniel;
_Making Money_by Terry Pratchett p.46: Mr.Fusspot,dog;
_Marque and Reprisal_by Elizabeth Moon p.183: Puddles,Jack Russell;
_Masque World_by Alexei Panshin: Turpie,dog;
_Masters of the Fist_by Edward P.Hughes: Tuathal,Irish wolfhound;
_Mastodonia_by Clifford D.Simak: Ranger,hound;
_Men at Arms_by Terry Pratchett: Gaspode,dog;
_Men,Martians and Machines_by Eric Frank Russell: Fergus,terrier;
_Midnight Falcon_by David Gemmell p.316: Piga,hound;
_Midnight Moon_by Lori Handeland p.241: King,German shepherd;
_Mind of the Magic_by Holly Lisle: Huss,dog;
_Mindscan_by Robert J.Sawyer p.130: Clamhead,dog;
_Mirage_by Don Passman p.14: Max,Jack Russell terrier;
_Moonseed_by Stephen Baxter p.17: Rocky,labrador;
_Moving Pictures_by Terry Pratchett: Laddie,Ramtop hunting dog;
_Music to My Sorrow_by Mercedes Lackey&Rosemary Edghill; Molly,pug;
_Mutineers' Moon_by David Weber: Tinker Bell,lab/rotweiller;
_Nightlife_by Rob Thurman p.45: Venus,dog;
_Nightseer_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Piker,white mutt;
_Nine Princes in Amber_by Roger Zelazny p.19:Blitzen,Irish wolfhound;
_Not Exactly the Three Musketeers_by Joel Rosenberg: Pirojil,dog;
_Obsidian Butterfly_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Boo,Maltese;
_Old Twentieth_by Joe Haldeman p.110: Sparko,robot dog;
_Omega_by Jack McDevitt p.253: Max,golden retriever;
_One Mind's Eye_by Kathy Tyers: Bear,retriever;
_Orca_by Steven Brust p.18: Buddy,dog;
_Pandora's Star_by Peter F.Hamilton p.770: Panda,white Labrador;
_Paragon Lost_by Dave Duncan p.144: Vasili,dog;
_Partners in Time_by Pamela Simpson: Newman,small,shaggy mutt;
_Passage_by Connie Willis: Ulla,Alsatian;
_Past the Size of Dreaming_by Nina Kiriki Hoffman: Pwca,Pekingese;
_Pigs Don't Fly_by Mary Brown: Growch,dog;
_Point of Dreams_by Melissa Scott & Lisa A.Barnett p.216: Mud,dog;
_Polaris_by Jack McDevitt p.242: Flash,retriever;
_Powers That Be_by A.McCaffrey & Elizabeth A.Scarborough: Pearse,dog;
_Present Tense_by Dave Duncan: Brutus,dog;
_Psi-Man: Mind Force Warrior_by Peter David: Arnold,German shepherd;
_Putting Up Roots_by Charles Sheffield: Mister Micklegruber,spaniel;
_Queen City Jazz_by Kathleen Ann Goonan: Cairo,dog;
_Queen of the Darkness_by Anne Bishop p.21: Ladvarian,dog;
_Quest For Lost Heroes_by David Gemmell p.241: Nameas,war hound;
_Rage Against Time_by Piers Anthony: Canute,dog;
_Raven's Shadow_by Patricia Briggs: Gura,dog;
_Ravenheart_by David Gemmell p.2: Raven,warhound;
_Reap the Whirlwind_by C.J.Cherryh & Mercedes Lackey: Jumper,hound;
_Red Planet_by Robert A.Heinlein: Willis,Pekinese;
_Red Rabbit_by Tom Clancy: Ernie,Labrador;
_Roverandom_by J.R.R.Tolkien: Rover,dog;
_Royal Assassin_by Robin Hobb: Leon,wolfhound;
_Sandry's Book_by Tamora Pierce p.188: Little Bear,dog;
_Saucer Wisdom_by Rudy Rucker: Arf,collie-beagle dog;
_Scardown_by Elizabeth Bear p.166: Moebius,komondor;
_Shadow's Son_by Meier,Stirling & Wehrstein: Inu,greathound;
_Shadows and Light_by Anne Bishop: Idjit,dog;
_Shivering World_by Kathy Tyers: Valentina,Samoyed;
_Sister of the Dead_by Barb&J.C.Hendee p.146: Shade,wolfhound;
_Sister to the Rain_by Melisa Michaels p.84: Peaceable,dog;
_Six Bad Things_by Charlie Huston p.124: Digby,terrier;
_Smoke and Shadows_by Tanya Huff p.255: Moira,Chihuahua;
_Snow White and the Seven Samurai_by Tom Holt: Buttercup,Rottweiler;
_So You Want to Be a Wizard_by Diane Duane: Annie,sheepdog;
_Sorcery&Cecelia_by Patricia C.Wrede&Caroline Stevermer: Canniba,dog;
_Sourcery_by Terry Pratchett: Wuffles,wire-haired terrier;
_Space Viking_by H.Beam Piper: Mopsy,long-haired puppy;
"Speak",by Henry Slesar: Rex,dog;
_Spindoc_by Steve Perry p.174: Anna,shepherd mix;
_Spin_by Robert Charles Wilson p.49: St.Augustine,spaniel;
_Spooker_by Dean Ing_: Princess,Labrador;
_Stalking Darkness_by Lynn Flewelling: Zir,white hound;
_Star Bridge_by Jack Williamson & James E.Gunn: Panic,black hound;
_Star Rogue_by Lin Carter: Molly,dachsund;
_Starswarm_by Brian Aldiss page 128: Hoc,dog;
_Starswarm_by Jerry Pournelle: Silver,dog;
_Staying Dead_by Laura Anne Gilman p.86: Dog,dog;
_Stormrider_by David Gemmell p.15: Soldier,hound;
_Stranger at the Wedding_by Barbara Hambly p.76: Babycake,lapdog;
_Stringer_by Nancy Kress: Abigail,English setter;
_Sword in the Storm_by David Gemmell p.22: Caval,war hound;
_Synners_by Pat Cadigan p.73: Rover,dog;
_T2: Infiltrator_by S.M.Stirling: Max,German shepherd;
_T2: The Future War_by S.M.Stirling: Tex,golden retriever;
_Tainted Trail_by Wen Spencer p.159: Elvis,dog;
"Tango Charlie and Foxtrot Romeo",by John Varley: Albert,Sheepdog;
_Tapping the Dream Tree_by Charles de Lint: Snippet,Jack Russell;
_Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams_by Aaron Allston p.21: Ripper,dog;
_The Amazing Maurice&His Educated Rodents_by T.Pratchett:Jacko,dog;
_The Armageddon Rag_by George R.R.Martian: Balrog,Golden Retriever;
_The Baker's Boy_by J.V.Jones: Comi,dog;
_The Barbed Coil_by J.V.Jones: Snowy,dog;
_The Big Over Easy_by Jasper Fforde p.214: Max,terrier;
_The Burning Stone_by Kate Elliott: Ardent,hound;
_The Cage_by S.M.Stirling&Shirley Meier: Pishka,lapdog;
"The Children of Diardin",by F.Patton: Camlan,hound;
_The Chronoliths_by Robert Charles Wilson: Chuffy,Springer Spaniel;
_The Circle Opens_by Tamora Pierce: Little Bear,dog;
_The Company Man_by Joe Clifford Faust: Hudson,German shepherd;
_The Crimson Sky_by Joel Rosenberg p.78: Eustis,dog;
_The Dark Hand of Magic_by Barbara Hambly p.174: Helmpiddle,dog?;
_The Day of Timestop_by Philip Jose Farmer: Danger,collie;
_The Engines of God_by Jack McDevitt: Spike,black Lab;
_The Eyre Affair_by Jasper Fforde: Pilot,dog;
_The Far Call_by Gordon R.Dickson: Chupchik,dog;
_The Fourth Bear_by Jasper Fforde p.77: Toby,dog;
_The Fresco_by Sheri S.Tepper: Sasquatch,dog;
_The Ghost Brigades_by John Scalzi p.363: Barbar,mutt;
_The Ginger Star_by Leigh Brackett: Flay,Northhound;
_The Goblin Mirror_by C.J.Cherryh p.12: Zadny,dog;
_The Godmother's Apprentice_by Elizabeth A.Scarborough:Meg,collie;
_The Godmother_by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough: Pal,dog;
_The Gumshoe,the Witch,&the Virtual Corpse_by Keith Hartman:Ghost,dog;
_The Haunted Air_by F.Paul Wilson: Oscar,Vizsla;
_The Hob's Bargain_by Patricia Briggs p.99: Cary,dog;
_The Hounds of Skaith_by Leigh Brackett: Grith,Northhound;
_The Hunger_by Whitley Strieber p.3: Barney,dog;
_The Hunters' Haunt_by Dave Duncan: Tiny,dog;
_The Infinite Cage_by Keith Laumer: Shep,collielike dog;
_The Iron Lords_by Andrew J.Offutt p.17: Baron,dog;
_The Knight_by Gene Wolfe p.84: Gylf,dog;
_The Last Continent_by Terry Pratchett: Snowy,dog;
_The Last Light of the Sun_by Guy Gavriel Kay p.111:Cafall,wolfhound;
"The Last of the Winnebagos",by Connie Willis: Aberfan,shepherd;
_The Laughing Corpse_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Jenny,dog;
_The Long Twilight_by Keith Laumer: Odinstooth,hound;
_The Machine in Ward Eleven_by Charles Willeford p.98: Prince,boxer;
_The Magic Engineer_by L.E.Modesitt,Jr. page 58: Stella,dog;
"The Martians and the Coys",by Mack Reynolds: Jigger,dog;
_The Mindblocked Man_by Jeff Sutton: Jupe,dog;
_The Mocking Program_by Alan Dean Foster p.268: charliebo,dog;
_The Myriad_by R.M.Meluch p.17: Nose,bloodhound;
_The Nano Flower_by Peter F.Hamilton: Brutus,sheepdog;
_The Neutronium Alchemist Part 1_by Peter F.Hamilton:Merlin,sheepdog;
_The Odyssey_by Homer page 319: Argos,hound;
_The Onion Girl_by Charles de Lint p.174: Rexy,terrier;
_The Paratwa_by Christopher Hinz: Lancelot,dog;
_The Paths of the Dead_by Steven Brust: Awtla,dog;
_The Phoenix In Flight_by S.Smith&D.Trowbridge:Popo,black shaggy dog;
_The Pillars of the World_by Anne Bishop: Merle,dog;
_The Pinhoe Egg_by Diana Wynne Jones p.418: Towser,dog;
_The Praxis_by Walter Jon Williams p.27: Orange,black retriever;
_The Prize in the Game_by Jo Walton p.172: Beauty,dog;
_The Protector's War_by S.M.Stirling p.186: Grip,dog;
_The Quantum Connection_by Travis S.Taylor: Reagan,cocker spaniel;
_The Quartered Sea_by Tanya Huff p.206: Shecquai,dog;
_The Quick_by Burt Cole: Brother,dog;
_The Reality Dysfunction_by Peter F.Hamilton: Orlando,Alsatian;
_The Salmon of Doubt_by Douglas Adams: Trudie,black French poodle;
_The Second Summoning,by Tanya Huff: Daisy,Dalmatian;
_The Shadow Gate_by Margaret Ball p.296: Black-spot,mastiff;
_The Sheep Look Up_by John Brunner p.219: Rey,shepherd/chow mix;
_The Silicon Mage_by Barbara Hambly: Ratbane,shaggy shepherd;
_The Sky People_by S.M.Stirling p.92: Tahyo,greatwolf;
_The Spirit Ring_by Lois McMaster Bujold: Pippin,dog;
_The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues_by Harry Harrison:Fido,"dog";
_The Sunrise Lands_by S.M.Stirling p.203: Garbh,half-mastiff;
_The Sword_by Deborah Chester page 13: Shaiyan,dog;
_The Terminator_by Randall Frakes & Bill Wisher: Boner,Great Dane;
_The Thing at the Door_by Henry Slesar: Cassandra,dog;
_The Time of the Ghost_by Diana Wynne Jones: Oliver,Irish wolfhound;
_The Tin Angel_by Ron Goulart: Bowser,cocker spaniel;
_The Transmigration of Souls_by William Barton: Inky,terrier;
_The Trinity Vector_by Steve Perry p.145: Sheila,malamute;
_The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes_by Crusie,Dreyer&Stuart: Eddie,dog;
_The Unlikely Ones_by Mary Brown p.417: Bran,dog;
_The Vang: The Battlemaster_by Christopher Rowley: Lucky,Doberman;
_The Wanderer_by Fritz Leiber: Ragnarok,German police dog;
"The Warp and the Woof-Woof",by John Brunner: Jeff,dog;
_The Warrior Lives_by Joel Rosenberg p.47: Nick,wolf;
_The Weirdstone of Brisingamen_by Alan Garner: Scamp,dog;
_The Well of Lost Plots_by Jasper Fforde p.184: Shadow,Sheepdog;
_The White Rose_by Glen Cook: Toadkiller Dog,mongrel;
_The Wild Machines_by Mary Gentle p.354: Bauderon,hound;
_The Wizard of Oz_by L.Frank Baum: Toto,black dog;
_The Wouldbegoods_by E.Nesbit: Martha,bulldog;
_This Immortal_by Roger Zelazny p.102: Bortan,dog;
_Through Wolf's Eyes_by Jane Lindskold p.90: Queenie,bird dog;
_Tiger Eye_by Marjorie M.Liu p.115: BoBo,dog;
_Tinker_by Wen Spencer p.103: Bruno,elfhound;
_To Ride A Rathorn_by P.C.Hodgell p.165: Torvo,Molocar;
_To Say Nothing of the Dog_by Connie Willis: Cyril,bulldog;
_Traitor's Moon_by Lynn Flewelling: Marag,white hound;
_Trickster's Choice_by Tamora Pierce: Arak,shaggy herd dog;
_Tunnel in the Sky_by Robert A.Heinlein: Thor,boxer dog;
_Uller Uprising_by H.Beam Piper: Stalin,brown collie;
_Undead and Unemployed_by Mary Janice Davidson p.9: Rascal,dog;
"Undercurrents",by James H.Schmitz: Chomir,dog;
_Vector Analysis_by Jack C.Haldeman II: Skippy,dog;
_Venus on the Half-Shell_by Philip Jose Farmer: Anubis,dog;
_Virtual Light_by William Gibson: Skeeter,black Labrador;
_Vitals_by Greg Bear p.111: Reno,Doberman;
_Waldo & Magic,Inc._by Robert A.Heinlein p.33: Baldur,dog;
_Watchtower_by Elizabeth A.Lynn p.176: Grip,dog;
_Wetware_by Rudy Rucker: Bowser,dog;
_When Heaven Fell_by William Barton: Lucky,cocker spaniel;
"When the Change-Winds Blow",by Fritz Leiber: Brush,dog;
_When the Gods Are Silent_by Jane Lindskold: Scrapper,dog;
_White Light_by William Barton & Michael Capobianco: Lummox,Labrador;
_White Queen_by Gwyneth Jones p.159: Trix,black&tan hound;
_White Wolf_by David Gemmell p.32: Jesper,dog;
_Who's Afraid of Beowulf?_by Tom Holt p.215: Spot,wolf;
_Wild Magic_by Tamora Pierce p.275: Gimpy,bloodhound;
_Wildsmith_by Ron Goulart: Scruffy,white poodle;
_Windowpane_by Steve Perry p.53: Geisla,mini-Dachshund;
_Witching Moon_by Rebecca York p.309: Amos,dog;
_Wizard's First Rule_by Terry Goodkind p.278: Tinker,dog;
_Wolf Justice_by Doranna Durgin p.203: Kendall,dog;
_Wolf Star_by R.M.Meluch p.86: Pooh,standard poodle;
_Wolf-speaker_by Tamora Pierce p.238: Prettyfoot,wolfhound;
_Worlds Without End_by Clifford D.Simak: Philo,dog;
_Wraith_by Phaedra Weldon p.104: Butchy,dog;
_You Slay Me_by Katie MacAlister p.43: Cecile,black Welsh corgi.

Gene Ward Smith
2008-02-27 00:41:14 UTC

How do you do this?
douglas winston
2008-02-27 00:53:14 UTC
Post by Gene Ward Smith
Post by douglas winston
SF List containing at least one Dog (real or imaginary)
Title: Author: Dog name,
How do you do this?
Which this do you refer to?

I have dognames.txt on my msdos machine and
use qedit and sort to arrange the file for my needs.
I copy to a floppy and carry it over to my windoze XP
and use Wordpad to copy the file into the message.
Gene Ward Smith
2008-02-27 01:02:12 UTC
You already had a file of sf dogs?
douglas winston
2008-02-27 01:14:14 UTC
The dognames file includes dog names from all my reading.
David T. Bilek

-David
douglas winston
2008-02-27 01:42:18 UTC
Post by David T. Bilek
Post by douglas winston
Post by Gene Ward Smith
Post by douglas winston
I have dognames.txt on my msdos machine and
use qedit and sort to arrange the file for my needs.
You already had a file of sf dogs?
The dognames file includes dog names from all my reading.
Um. Why?
So I will have a list of the most common dog & cat names in fiction:
Max,dog _Sandwiched_by Jennifer Archer
Max,brindle boxer _The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling_,by
Lawrence Block
Max,cat _Grime and Punishment_,by Jill Churchill p.14
Max,cat _Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance_,by Jo Dereske
Max,terrier _The Big Over Easy_,by Jasper Fforde p.214
Max,mutt _A Time to Kill_,by John Grisham p.20
Max,cat _Forests of the Night_,by James W.Hall p.12
Max,orange,stripey cat _Cozy_,by Parnell Hall
Max,dog _A Bridge to Love_,by Nancy Herkness p.48
Max,boxer dog _One of Us is Wrong_,by Samuel Holt p.11
Max,St.Bernard _Due Diligence_,by Michael A.Kahn p.376
Max,dog _Dragon Tears_,by Dean Koontz p.350
Max,golden retriever _Omega_,by Jack McDevitt p.253
Max,yellow Lab _Both Ends of the Night_,by Marcia Muller
Max,Jack Russell terrier _Mirage_,by Don Passman p.14
Max,setter _Woman in the Dark_,by T.J.Phillips p.213
Max,German shepherd _T2: Infiltrator_,by S.M.Stirling
Max,dog _Eternity Row_,by S.L.Viehl

Buster,dog _Skintight_,by Susan Andersen p.64
Buster,terrier _Aunt Dimity: Detective_,by Nancy Atherton
Buster,Dalmatian _The Wicked Flea_,by Susan Conant p.54
Buster,cat "Fido",by Gordon R.Dickson
Buster,cat _Never Street_,by Loren D.Estleman
Buster,spaniel _The Rich and the Profane_,by Jonathan Gash p.3
Buster,cat _The Old Silent_,by Martha Grimes p.103
Buster,pug _An Ex to Grind_,by Jane Heller p.10
Buster,small gray dog _Dead To Rights_,by J.A.Jance p.352
Buster,dog _The Memory Trap_,by Anthony Price p.183
Buster,white mutt _Legal Tender_,by Lisa Scottoline
Buster,black-and-white _Slam_,by Lewis Shiner
Buster,German shepherd "Cain",by Andrew Vachss ISBN 0-679-75336-2 p.31
Buster,German shepherd _Deep Sleep_,by Charles Wilson
Buster,Boston terrier _The Old Reliable_,by P.G.Wodehouse
Buster,bull terrier _The Girl in Blue_,by P.G.Wodehouse

Fluffy,cat _Finity_,by John Barnes
Fluffy,dog _Chow Down_,by Laurien Berenson p.110
Fluffy,pit bull _Hit Parade_,by Lawrence Block p.188
Fluffy,cat _The Singularity Project_,by F.M.Busby
Fluffy,animal name _The Alpine Pursuit_,by Mary Daheim p.186
Fluffy,cat _Wife for Hire_,by Janet Evanovich
Fluffy,cat _Radiant_,by James Alan Gardner p.334
Fluffy,cat _Dragon Tears_,by Dean Koontz
Fluffy,cat _Son of the Mob_,by Gordon Korman p.128
Fluffy,black cat _Talk of the Town_,by Suzanne Macpherson p.34
Fluffy,cat _Risky Business_,by Suzanne Macpherson p.168
Fluffy,cat _The Wizard's Daughter_,by Barbara Michaels
Fluffy,three-headed dog _Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_,by
J.K.Rowling
Fluffy Fury,Egyptian cat _Against the Tide of Years_,by S.M.Stirling
Fluffy,white cat "The Abominable House Guest",by Theodore
Sturgeon _Mystery Cats_
Fluffy,dog _Nightlife_,by Rob Thurman p.207

Spot,dog _Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet_,by
M.C.Beaton
Spot On,Dalmatian _Dog Eat Dog_,by Laurien Berenson p.30,248
Spot,longhaired dachshund _Faking It_,by Jennifer Crusie p.2
Spot,dog _Just Desserts_,by Mary Daheim
Spot,dog "Monster Love",by MaryJanice Davidson
Spot,collie _Short Cut_,by Jo Dereske
Spot,gold&brown shepherd mix _Savage Cut_,by Jo Dereske
Spot,cat _Full House_,by Janet Evanovich
Spot,dog _Wolf Time_,by Joe Gores
Spot,animal _Hidden Moon_,by Lori Handeland p.75
Spot,wolf _Who's Afraid of Beowulf?_,by Tom Holt
Spot,cheetah _The Rackham Files_,by Dean Ing
Spot,dog "Trial by Fury",by J.A.Jance 0-06-077603-X
Spot,cat _Wash, Fold,and Die_,by Dolores Johnson
Spot,dog "The Felonious Courtship...",by Charlotte
MacLeod
Spot,cat _True-Life Adventure_ by Julie Smith
Spot,dog _Murder on Safari_,by Hillary Waugh

Rover,dog _Synners_,by Pat Cadigan p.73
Rover,dog "The Edge",by Agatha Christie
Rover,dog _King Rat_,by James Clavell
Rover,Pomeranian _Murder, My Suite_,by Mary Daheim
Rover,gray dog _Good Omens_,by Neil Gaiman and Terry
Pratchett
Rover,dog _Dogsbody_,by Diana Wynne Jones p.91
Rover,dog _Nobody But You_,by Julie Kenner p.140
Rover,poodle _Changing Planes_,by Ursula K.LeGuin p.15
Rover,dog _Vane Pursuit_,by Charlotte MacLeod
Rover,dog _Interesting Times_,by Terry Pratchett
Rover,dog _A Choice of Gods_,by Clifford D.Simak
Rover,dog _Against the Tide of Years_,by S.M.Stirling
Rover,dog _Roverandom_,by J.R.R.Tolkien

Andrew Plotkin
2008-02-27 03:46:45 UTC
Post by douglas winston
Post by Gene Ward Smith
Post by douglas winston
I have dognames.txt on my msdos machine and
use qedit and sort to arrange the file for my needs.
You already had a file of sf dogs?
The dognames file includes dog names from all my reading.
Maybe nobody has said it yet, but that's cool. I'm impressed.

--Z
*
If the Bush administration hasn't thrown you in military prison without trial,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're patriotic.
Mike Schilling
2008-02-27 01:33:14 UTC
Are you saying you don't?
erilar
2008-02-27 16:35:02 UTC
Post by Mike Schilling
Post by Gene Ward Smith
Post by douglas winston
I have dognames.txt on my msdos machine and
use qedit and sort to arrange the file for my needs.
You already had a file of sf dogs?
Are you saying you don't?
Now I do. I have a list of mystery dogs someone in another group
provided.

lal_truckee
2008-02-27 02:34:31 UTC
Heinlein's "Tenderfoot in Space" (1958)??
douglas winston
2008-02-27 03:58:43 UTC
I have read _Farmer in the Sky_ (1950).
lal_truckee
2008-02-27 23:27:23 UTC
Post by douglas winston
Post by lal_truckee
Heinlein's "Tenderfoot in Space" (1958)??
I have read _Farmer in the Sky_ (1950).
No connection. Also no dog in FitS IIRC.
Dog is central in TiS.
douglas winston
2008-02-28 01:48:16 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Post by douglas winston
Post by lal_truckee
Heinlein's "Tenderfoot in Space" (1958)??
I have read _Farmer in the Sky_ (1950).
No connection. Also no dog in FitS IIRC.
Dog is central in TiS.
The protagonist being a boy scout is a big part of the start
of Fits so I was considering it as a possibility.
okay, since you're sure that TiS was not rewritten or republished
as part of FitS, then I have never read TiS. How about a name to
call the dog. Though "Big Dog", "Miss Dog, "dog" and four
examples of "Dog" have been used by other authors.

Though I confess that I am still looking for the cats,
Notable and Dax.

Hang on, _Grumbles from the Grave_ talks about "Tenderfoot on Vensus"
in a letter Sep 13,1956 and again Dec.28,1963. No name for the dog
though. Bibliography is "Tenderfoot in Space," Boys' Life, May,June,
July 1958.
BP
2008-02-27 05:38:41 UTC
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:29:26 -0500, douglas winston
Post by douglas winston
_Fuzzy Sapiens_by H.Beam Piper: Diamond,dog;
Umm... No.

BP
douglas winston
2008-02-27 06:20:26 UTC
Post by BP
Post by douglas winston
_Fuzzy Sapiens_by H.Beam Piper: Diamond,dog;
Umm... No.
You're right that there is no dog character, but the end of
Chapter Six refers to Sir Isaac Newton's little dog "Diamond".
That is covered by the warning one Dog ( real or imaginary ).
erilar
2008-02-27 16:33:40 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
: erilar
: Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs,though. Any good dog sf out
: there I may have missed?
SF List containing at least one Dog (real or imaginary)
Oh THANK you! I saved it to my books folder immediately!

Doug
2008-02-28 04:53:04 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
: erilar
[...]
read more »
Wow! Hey, if dogs that appear without playing a huge role count, you
might add Zelazny's _Call Me Conrad_.

Doug
douglas winston
2008-02-28 05:20:57 UTC
Post by Doug
: erilar
Post by Wayne Throop
_This Immortal_by Roger Zelazny p.102: Bortan,dog;
_This Immortal_ printed in USA is based on "..And Call Me Conrad"
in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Check the dog name, Bortan, right?
Gene Ward Smith
2008-02-28 05:38:42 UTC
Post by douglas winston
_Blood Drive_by Jeanne C.Stein p.83: Cujo,dog;
Sally,elaig;
Post by douglas winston
_Blood Price_by Tanya Huff p.27: Owen,mastiff;
_Blood Rites_by Jim Butcher p.371: Mouse,dog;
_Bloodhunt_by Lee Killough p.179: Cochise,black&tan dog;
_Bloody Bones_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Raven,black poodle;
What percent of sf novels with "blood" in the title are about
vampires?
douglas winston
2008-02-28 07:06:49 UTC
Post by douglas winston
_Blood Price_by Tanya Huff p.27: Owen,mastiff;
_Blood Rites_by Jim Butcher p.371: Mouse,dog;
_Bloodhunt_by Lee Killough p.179: Cochise,black&tan dog;
_Bloody Bones_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Raven,black poodle;
What percent of sf novels with "blood" in the title are about
vampires?
Over 50% of Titles with "blood" sorted by author:
2002 Barnes,Steven _Lion's Blood_;
1985 Bear,Greg _Blood Music_;
1998 Bishop,Anne _Daughter of the Blood Book 1 The Black Jewels_;
1964 Bradley,Marion Zimmer _The Bloody Sun_;
2007 Briggs,Patricia _Blood Bound_;
2003 Briggs,Patricia _Dragon Blood_;
2004 Butcher,Jim _Blood Rites_;
1993 Chesbro,George C. _An Incident at Bloodtide_;
1999 Deitz,Tom _Bloodwinter A Tale of Eron_;
1999 Dietz,William C. _By Blood Alone_;
1998 Elrod,P.N. _A Chill in the Blood_;
1990 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume One_"Bloodcircle";
1990 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume One_"Bloodlist";
1990 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume One_"Lifeblood";
1991 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume Two_"Art in the Blood";
1992 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume Two_"Blood on the Water";
1991 Elrod,P.N. _The Vampire Files Volume Two_"Fire in the Blood";
1989 Feist,Raymond E. _Prince of the Blood_;
1973 Foster,Alan Dean _Bloodhype_;
1994 Gemmell,David _Bloodstone_;
1996 Hamilton,Laurell K. _Bloody Bones_;
2007 Harris,Charlaine&Toni L.P.,Kelner editors _Many Bloody Returns_;
2006 Hendee,Barb&J.C. _Traitor To the Blood_;
1997 Huff,Tanya _Blood Debt_;
1993 Huff,Tanya _Blood Lines_;
1993 Huff,Tanya _Blood Pact_;
1991 Huff,Tanya _Blood Price_;
1992 Huff,Tanya _Blood Trail_;
2007 Huston,Charlie _Half the Blood of Brooklyn_;
1987 Ing,Dean _Blood of Eagles_;
1995 Jeter,K.W. _#8 Alien Nation: Cross of Blood_;
1993 Jeter,K.W. _Bloodletter_ Star Trek: Deep Space Nine;
1987 Killough,Lee "Blood Hunt" _Bloodwalk_;
1988 Killough,Lee "Bloodlinks" _Bloodwalk_;
2001 Killough,Lee _Blood Games_;
1998 Lackey,Mercedes _Oathblood_;
1966 Laumer,Keith&Rosel George Brown _Earthblood_;
1980 Lee,Tanith _Sabella or The Blood Stone_;
2007 Lindskold,Jane _Wolf's Blood_;
1997 Lisle,Holly _Hunting the Corrigan's Blood_;
1992 May,Julian _Blood Trillium_;
1985 McQuay,Mike _Pure Blood_;
1975 Moore,Wallace _The Blood Stones_;
1995 Norton,Andre&Mercedes Lackey _Elvenblood_;
1984 Pournelle,Jerry creator _Blood and Iron_;
1984 Rosenberg,Joel _Ties of Blood and Silver_;
2005 Rowling,J.K. _Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince_;
2002 Saberhagen,Fred _A Coldness in the Blood_;
1978 Smith,E.E."Doc" with Stephen Goldin _Appointment at Bloodstar_;
1977 Stableford,Brian M. _Wildeblood's Empire_;
1990 Stackpole,Michael A. _Blood Legacy_;
2006 Stein,Jeanne C. _Blood Drive_;
2006 Traviss,Karen _Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines_;
2001 Turtledove,Harry _American Empire: Blood & Iron_;
1970 Van Arnam,Dave _Lord of Blood_;
1975 Wagner,Karl Edward _Bloodstone_;
1991 Watt-Evans,Lawrence _The Blood of a Dragon_;
2007 Wilks,Eileen _Blood Lines_;
1933 Williamson,Jack _Golden Blood_;
2007 Wilson,F.Paul _Bloodline_;
1998 Yarbro,Chelsea Quinn _Blood Roses_;
1999 Yarbro,Chelsea Quinn _Communion Blood_;
1997 Yarbro,Chelsea Quinn _Writ in Blood_;
1982 Yolen,Jane _Dragon's Blood_;
1984 Yolen,Jane _Heart's Blood_;
1986 Zelazny,Roger _Blood of Amber_;
1988 Zimmer,Paul Edwin&Jon DeCles _Blood of the Colyn Muir_.

"Blood" titles are less than 50% of Vampire books sorted by author:
2001 Armstrong,Kelly _Bitten_;
2007 Arthur,Keri _Embraced By Darkness_ p.77;
1995 Betancourt,John editor _Best of Weird Tales_;
2007 Briggs,Patricia _Blood Bound_ p.31;
2004 Brust,Steven _Sethra Lavode_;
2001 Butcher,Jim _Fool Moon_;
2006 Caine,Rachel _Glass Houses_ p.23;
2007 Caine,Rachel _The Dead Girls' Dance_ p.36;
2006 Chance,Karen _Touch the Dark_ p.55;
1989 Cherryh,C.J. _Rusalka_;
1986 Clayton,Jo _Drinker of Souls_;
1978 Clayton,Jo _Irsud_;
1978 Clayton,Jo _Lamarchos _;
1986 Clayton,Jo _Quester's Endgame_;
1993 Constantine,Storm _Wraeththu_;
1984 Cook,Glen _The Black Company_;
2005 Davidson,MaryJanice _Undead and Unappreciated_ p.270;
2007 Davidson,MaryJanice _Undead and Uneasy_ p.66;
2004 Davidson,MaryJanice _Undead and Unemployed_ p.133;
2005 Davidson,MaryJanice _Undead and Unreturnable_ p.104;
2007 Douglas,Carole Nelson _Dancing With Werewolves_ p.30;
1990 Elrod,P.N. _Bloodlist_;
2000 Farren,Mick _Darklost_;
2002 Farren,Mick _Underland_ p.53;
2004 Fforde,Jasper _Something Rotten_ p.230;
1988 Friesner,Esther M. _Elf Defense_;
1991 Friesner,Esther _Harpy High_;
1991 Guiley,Rosemary Ellen _Vampires Among Us_;
2006 Hallaway,Tate _Tall,Dark&Dead_ p.51;
1988 Hambly,Barbara _Those Who Hunt the Night_;
1995 Hambly,Barbara&Martin H.Greenberg _Sisters of the Night_;
1993 Hamilton,Laurell K. _Guilty Pleasures_;
2007 Hamilton,Laurell K. _The Harlequin_ p.378;
2004 Hamilton,Peter F. _Pandora's Star_ p.760;
2006 Handeland,Lori _Crescent Moon_ p.161;
2001 Harris,Charlaine _Dead Until Dark_;
2006 Harrison,Kim _A Fistful of Charms_ p.132;
2004 Harrison,Kim _Dead Witch Walking_;
1988 Hawke,Simon _The Dracula Caper_;
1991 Huff,Tanya _Blood Price_;
1987 Jeter,K.W. _Dark Seeker_;
1989 Jeter,K.W. _In the Land of the Dead_;
1989 Jeter,K.W. _The Night Man_;
1980 Kaminsky,Stuart _Never Cross a Vampire_;
1987 Killough,Lee "Blood Hunt" _Bloodwalk_;
2007 Knight,Angela _Master of Dragons_ p.13;
2005 Knight,Angela _Master of the Moon_;
1980 Lee,Tanith _Sabella or The Blood Stone_;
1997 Lisle,Holly _Hunting the Corrigan's Blood_;
2005 Liu,Marjorie M. _A Taste of Crimson_ p.99;
1978 Lord,Jeffrey _Richard Blade City of the Living Dead_;
2003 MacAlister,Katie_A Girl's Guide to Vampires_ p.12;
1954 Matheson,Richard _The Omega Man - I Am Legend_;
1992 May,Julian _Blood Trillium_;
2003 McKinley,Robin _Sunshine_;
1988 Morris,Janet _Masters in Hell_;
2007 Murphy,C.E. _Heart of Stone_ p.252;
2004 Pratchett,Terry _Going Postal_ 0-06-050293-2 p.262;
2005 Pratchett,Terry _Thud!_;
1987 Resnick,Mike _Stalking the Unicorn: A Fable of Tonight_;
1976 Rice,Anne _Interview With the Vampire_;
2006 Richardson,Kat _Greywalker_ p.194;
1992 Saberhagan,Fred&James V.Hart _Bram Stoker's Dracula_;
1978 Saberhagen,Fred _The Holmes-Dracula File_;
2005 Sands,Lynsay _A Quick Bite_ p.125;
2003 Spoor,Ryk E. _Digital Knight_;
1995 Spruill,Steven _Rulers of Darkness_;
1988 Stableford,Brian _The Empire of Fear_;
1998 Stafford,Nikki _Bite Me! Sarah Michelle Gellar and Buffy the
Vampire Slayer_;
1990 Steakley,John _Vampire$_;
2006 Stein,Jeanne _Blood Drive_ p.30;
2004 Stein,Jeanne _The Becoming_ p.152;
1981 Strieber,Whitley _The Hunger_;
2005 Vaughn,Carrie _Kitty and the Midnight Hour_ p.8;
2006 Vaughn,Carrie _Kitty Goes to Washington_ p.35;
1989 Wilson,F.Paul _Dydeetown World_;
2004 Wilson,F.Paul _Midnight Mass_ p.13;
2000 Yarbro,Chelsea Quinn _Come Twilight_;
1987 Zelazny,Roger _A Dark Traveling_;
1993 Zelazny,Roger _A Night In the Lonesome October_;
1966 Zelazny,Roger _This Immortal_;
1988 Zimmer,Paul Edwin&Jon DeCles _Blood of the Colyn Muir_.

On the other hand, I may have overlooked something
and the answer is none of the above.
Tim McDaniel
2008-02-28 20:53:59 UTC
Odd that the list has Duane's _So You Want To Be A Wizard_ and a
couple of sequels, but doesn't mention that (almost) every book has
Kit's dog Ponch.
Tim McDaniel, ***@panix.com
douglas winston
2008-02-28 23:48:03 UTC
Post by Tim McDaniel
Odd that the list has Duane's _So You Want To Be A Wizard_ and a
couple of sequels, but doesn't mention that (almost) every book has
Kit's dog Ponch.
Pounch,black-and-white dog _Deep Wizardry_,by Diane Duane
Dog,terrierish mutt _Deep Wizardry_,by Diane Duane p.63
Monty,Sheepdog _Deep Wizardry_,by Diane Duane p.66

You're right, I use to know that. This list may suit you better.

Match Dog name with Author (e.g. Pounch and Diane Duane)
Dog name Title: Author:
1.Ardent,hound _Rage Against Time_,by Piers Anthony A
2.Bach,dog "Adam and No Eve", by Alfred Bester B
3.Brush,dog _The Hounds of Skaith_,by Leigh Brackett C
4.Cairo,dog _Pigs Don't Fly_, by Mary Brown D
5.Calum,black hound "The Warp and the Woof-Woof",by John Brunner E
6.Canute,dog _Agyar_, by Steven Brust F
7.Chomir,dog _Hard Landing_, by Algis Budrys G
8.Cochise,black&tan _The Spirit Ring_,by Lois McMaster Bujold H
9.Custard,Pomeranian _The White Rose_, by Glen Cook I
10.Cyril,bulldog _Psi-Man: Mind Force Warrior_,by Peter David J
11.Daisy,Dalmatian "Graveyard", by Gordon R.Dickson K
12.Danger,collie _Present Tense_, by Dave Duncan L
13.Donner,Irish wolfhound _The Burning Stone_, by Kate Elliott M
14.Gaspode,dog _The Day of Timestop_,by Philip Jose Farmer N
15.Gershon,dog _The Company Man_,by Joe Clifford Faust O
16.Goldie,purebred retriever _Stalking Darkness_, by Lynn Flewelling P
17.Gregor,dog _American Gods_, by Neil Gaiman Q
18.Grith,Northhound _Queen City Jazz_,by Kathleen Ann Goonan R
19.Growch,dog _Wildsmith_, by Ron Goulart S
20.Hudson,German shepherd _The Silicon Mage_,by Barbara Hambly T
21.Inga,Sheepdog _Circus of the Damned_,by Laurell K.Hamilton U
22.Jeff,dog _A Quantum Murder_,by Peter F.Hamilton V
23.Jenghis,dog _The Paratwa_,by Christopher Hinz W
24.Kimbo,dog _Bug Park_, by James P.Hogan X
25.Laiza,dog _The Second Summoning,by Tanya Huff Y
26.Lancelot,dog _Bloodhunt_, by Lee Killough Z
27.LaShane,Doberman "When the Change-Winds Blow",by Fritz Leiber a
28.Lexa,dog _The Engines of God_,by Jack McDevitt b
29.Little Bear,dog _Sister to the Rain_,by Melisa Michaels c
30.Mopsy,long-haired puppy _Gravity Dreams_, by L.E.Modesitt,Jr.d
31.Peaceable,dog _Kedrigern in Wanderland_,by John Morressy e
32.Peaslake,dog "Hero", by Peter Morwood f
33.Pepper,brown&white terrier_Anvil_, by Nicolas van Pallandt g
34.Pippin,dog _Masque World_, by Alexei Panshin h
35.Popo,black shaggy dog _The Trinity Vector_,by Steve Perry i
36.Prince,dog _The Circle Opens_,by Tamora Pierce j
37.Quiffy,chow _Space Viking_, by H.Beam Piper k
38.Ranger,hound _Starswarm_, by Jerry Pournelle l
39.Ratbane,shepherd _Last Call_, by Tim Powers m
40.Rommel,German shepherd _Men at Arms_, by Terry Pratchett n
41.Rumpie,dog _Wetware_, by Rudy Rucker o
42.Scruffy,white poodle "Allamagoosa", by Eric Frank Russell p
43.Sparky,Alsatian "Undercurrents", by James H.Schmitz q
44.Spica,German shepherd _Draconian New York_,by Robert Sheckley r
45.Spike,black Lab _Mastodonia_, by Clifford D.Simak s
46.Tinker Bell,mix breed _The Phoenix In Flight_,by Smith&Trowbridge t
47.Toadkiller Dog,mongrel "It", by Theodore Sturgeon u
48.Toby,terrier _Shivering World_, by Kathy Tyers v
49.Turpie,dog "Tango Charlie and Foxtrot Romeo",by John Varley w
50.Umber,mastiff _Mutineers' Moon_, by David Weber x
51.Valentina,Samoyed_To Say Nothing of the Dog_,by Connie Willis y
52.Zir,white hound _Nine Princes in Amber_,by Roger Zelazny z

Answers appear after filler of imaginary titles from various sources:
A Crown Prince on Ice,by Gorth Hasniker;
A Practical Hanbook of Bee Culture,by Sherlock Holmes;
Ash: A Fifteenth Century Biography,by Vaughan Davies;
Basic Kaleidowhirl Theory;
Breathing Space and Sanity,by FitzMaugham;
Commercial Pharmacopeia of the Outer Worlds,by Harrel;
Cults Among Us,by Anne M. Waverly;
Encyclopedia of Everything in the Material World,by Gantering Pellus;
Ghosts of Chicago,by Mortimer Lindquist;
Hence Vain Deluding Joys!,by Alex Wildsmith;
Histories of Rhomatum,by Darius;
History of Greater Agoran,by Berlio;
Magical Me,by Gilderoy Lockhart;
Midnight on Pinnacle,by Richard Wald;
Modern Religious Expression,by Anne M. Waverly;
Moon Over Wall Street,by Evelyn Hampton;
Nightmare's Dawn,by Thea Janis;
On The Care Of The Pig_,by Augustus Whipple;
Philological Aspects of Casumel Linear,by Maggie Tufu;
Propagation in Tropical Angiosperms,by Lord Trevelyan;
The Book of Specifications;
The Fool: Order Through Chaos, Clarity from Confusion,by D.M.Sawyer;
The History of Death_,by Mortimer Gray;
The Man Who Traveled In Murder,by Graham Fowler;
The Myth of the Rebuilding,by Alarde D'Lorina;
The Needle of Nemesis,by Humphrey Podd;
The New Luddite Manifesto,by Ronald Labane;
The Nine Barristers,by Polly Praed;
The Physiological Bases of the Conscience,by Sir Julian Freke;
Answer matches Dog name with Author (e.g. 1M Ardent and Kate Elliott)
Answers are: 1M; 2X; 3a; 4R; 5K; 6A; 7q; 8Z; 9U;10y;11Y;12N;13z;
14n;15d;16Q;17o;18C;19D;20O;21w;22E;23L;24u;25g;26W;
27m;28l;29j;30k;31c;32p;33F;34H;35t;36G;37r;38s;39T;
40J;41e;42S;43V;44i;45b;46x;47I;48f;49h;50B;51v;52P.
---
þ QMPro 1.53 þ Sent by Douglas Winston on February 28,2008
David DeLaney
2008-02-26 20:19:10 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by Travis Foster
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
I take it we're not counting the rampant werewolf infestations?

Dave "or 101 Dalmatians or its sequel?" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
erilar
2008-02-26 22:47:00 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by erilar
Post by Travis Foster
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
I take it we're not counting the rampant werewolf infestations?
Dave "or 101 Dalmatians or its sequel?" DeLaney
Well, I've read some with werewolves in them, now that you bring it up.
And I read a trilogy I've totally forgotten the name of where an
intelligent dog was the main character's friend, along with two total
aliens.

David DeLaney
2008-02-26 23:35:02 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by David DeLaney
I take it we're not counting the rampant werewolf infestations?
Dave "or 101 Dalmatians or its sequel?" DeLaney
Well, I've read some with werewolves in them, now that you bring it up.
And I read a trilogy I've totally forgotten the name of where an
intelligent dog was the main character's friend, along with two total aliens.
Quite possibly Alan Dean Foster's recent Lost and Found, The Light-Years
Beneath My Feet, The Candle of Distant Earth trilogy?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
erilar
2008-02-27 16:53:33 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by erilar
Post by David DeLaney
I take it we're not counting the rampant werewolf infestations?
Dave "or 101 Dalmatians or its sequel?" DeLaney
Well, I've read some with werewolves in them, now that you bring it up.
And I read a trilogy I've totally forgotten the name of where an
intelligent dog was the main character's friend, along with two total aliens.
Quite possibly Alan Dean Foster's recent Lost and Found, The Light-Years
Beneath My Feet, The Candle of Distant Earth trilogy?
Yes, that's what I was blanking on! I really enjoyed it 8-) Great
fun!

Chuk Goodin
2008-02-27 19:00:01 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by David DeLaney
Quite possibly Alan Dean Foster's recent Lost and Found, The Light-Years
Beneath My Feet, The Candle of Distant Earth trilogy?
Yes, that's what I was blanking on! I really enjoyed it 8-) Great
fun!
Yeah, those were pretty fun. I accidentally picked up the second one
first. Reminded me a little bit of his _Glory Lane_.
chuk
Gene Ward Smith
2008-02-26 23:22:52 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by erilar
Post by erilar
intelligent dog was the main character's friend, along with
two total
Post by erilar
aliens.
I don't know what you've missed in the way of intelligent
dogs, but in addition to what's already been mentioned,
there's Sirius by Stapleton, To Reign in Hell by Brust and
the Aisling Grey, Guardian series by MacAlister.
Mike Schilling
2008-02-26 23:29:30 UTC
Post by Gene Ward Smith
I don't know what you've missed in the way of intelligent
dogs, but in addition to what's already been mentioned,
there's Sirius by Stapleton, To Reign in Hell by Brust
He'd just been turned into a dog; not quite the same thing.
Gene Ward Smith
True, so I will add Watchers, by Koontz, to make up for it.
tphile
2008-02-27 00:14:06 UTC
Post by Gene Ward Smith
Post by Mike Schilling
Post by Gene Ward Smith
I don't know what you've missed in the way of intelligent
dogs, but in addition to what's already been mentioned,
there's Sirius by Stapleton, To Reign in Hell by Brust
He'd just been turned into a dog; not quite the same thing.
True, so I will add Watchers, by Koontz, to make up for it.
I should think this would have been mentioned by now

Zelaznys A Night in the Lonesome October. narrated by Snuff the Dog
which is more than Lassie ever did. or Rinty, or Rex

Starship Troopers had Neodogs

Spider Robinsons Callahans Lady and Lady Slings the Booze has a
talking
dog. German Shepard IIRC

tphile
Wayne Throop
2008-02-27 00:16:52 UTC
: tphile <***@cableone.net>
: I should think this would have been mentioned by now
:
: Zelaznys A Night in the Lonesome October. narrated by Snuff the Dog
: which is more than Lassie ever did. or Rinty, or Rex
:
: Starship Troopers had Neodogs
:
: Spider Robinsons Callahans Lady and Lady Slings the Booze has a
: talking dog. German Shepard IIRC

Hm. Do wolves count? (Werewolves are marginal, but how about
really-for-true wolves?) In which case, maybe "Through Wolf's Eyes",
and the entire "Firekeeper" series by Lindskold.

Does Florence in the webcomic Freefall count? She's a Bowman's Wolf,
but all the robots say "DOGGIE!" when they see her.

In Vinge, "Bookworm, Run!" had a dog mentioned at the end.
Oh, you thought I'd say Tines in AFUtD? Well, them too.
If vaguely doggoid aliens count.

Hm. In Sanderson's "Well of Ascension", a shapeshifter spends
most of the book disguised as a dog. Hrm, are we supposed to be
including fantasy?

There's Wen Spencer;'s "Dog Soldiers", but again, shapeshifter
and/or wolf/coyote iirc, not quite dog.

And of course, her "Wolf Who Rules". (heh)

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
erilar
2008-02-27 16:52:18 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
: I should think this would have been mentioned by now
: Zelaznys A Night in the Lonesome October. narrated by Snuff the Dog
: which is more than Lassie ever did. or Rinty, or Rex
: Starship Troopers had Neodogs
: Spider Robinsons Callahans Lady and Lady Slings the Booze has a
: talking dog. German Shepard IIRC
Hm. Do wolves count? (Werewolves are marginal, but how about
really-for-true wolves?) In which case, maybe "Through Wolf's Eyes",
and the entire "Firekeeper" series by Lindskold.
Of course! Yes, I know I have read a number with wolves, including
that series.
Post by Wayne Throop
Does Florence in the webcomic Freefall count? She's a Bowman's Wolf,
but all the robots say "DOGGIE!" when they see her.
webcomic? Don't get me started on another computer activity!!! EEEK!
Post by Wayne Throop
In Vinge, "Bookworm, Run!" had a dog mentioned at the end.
Oh, you thought I'd say Tines in AFUtD? Well, them too.
If vaguely doggoid aliens count.
Hm. In Sanderson's "Well of Ascension", a shapeshifter spends
most of the book disguised as a dog. Hrm, are we supposed to be
including fantasy?
There's Wen Spencer;'s "Dog Soldiers", but again, shapeshifter
and/or wolf/coyote iirc, not quite dog.
Oh, shapeshifters are fun 8-)

erilar
2008-02-27 16:48:57 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by erilar
Post by erilar
Post by erilar
aliens.
I don't know what you've missed in the way of intelligent
dogs, but in addition to what's already been mentioned,
there's Sirius by Stapleton, To Reign in Hell by Brust and
the Aisling Grey, Guardian series by MacAlister.
Hmmmmmm My granddaughter just borrowed almost all of my Brust books. . .

SAMK
2008-02-27 02:06:56 UTC
Post by erilar
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
Try _Haint_ by Joy Ward. It is very dog-centric.

SAMK
(you don't want to know what I went thru to recall that
book and author)
erilar
2008-02-27 16:47:18 UTC
Post by SAMK
Post by erilar
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
Try _Haint_ by Joy Ward. It is very dog-centric.
SAMK
(you don't want to know what I went thru to recall that
book and author)
8-( My library and its friends don't have it. I'm trying to buy fewer
books because they're crowding me out of the house 8-)

SAMK
2008-02-28 03:50:53 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by SAMK
Post by erilar
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
Try _Haint_ by Joy Ward. It is very dog-centric.
SAMK
(you don't want to know what I went thru to recall that
book and author)
8-( My library and its friends don't have it. I'm trying to buy fewer
books because they're crowding me out of the house 8-)
It is small press. Google it, then request your library buy it.

SAMK
William December Starr
2008-02-28 03:56:39 UTC
Post by SAMK
Try _Haint_ by Joy Ward. It is very dog-centric.
(you don't want to know what I went thru to recall that
book and author)
Where does this book exist?
William December Starr <***@panix.com>
David Goldfarb
2008-02-27 10:01:38 UTC
Any good dog sf out there I may have missed?
Assuming that you're including urban fantasy in with SF,
Will Shetterly's _Dogland_ springs to mind.
--
David Goldfarb |"To the general public "calories" are not units
***@ocf.berkeley.edu |of measurement but evil creatures that live in
Tim McDaniel
2008-02-28 20:49:32 UTC
Any good dog sf out there I may have missed?
The Stirling/Drake "The General" 5ology (Belisarius in spaaaace). Off
<http://hem.bredband.net/b108107/stirling/biblio.html>:

The Forge (with David A. Drake) (Baen 0-671-72037-6, Feb '91)
The Hammer (with Drake) (Baen, 0-671-72105-4, Feb '92)
The Anvil (with Drake) (Baen, 0-671-72171-2, June '93)
The Steel (with Drake) (Baen, 0-671-72189-5, Oct '93)
The Sword (with Drake) (Baen, 0-671-87647-3, Mar '95)

Horses have died off on planet Bellevue. They ride huge dogs instead,
for the most part. Most of the usage shown is riding as cavalry in
wars.
Tim McDaniel, ***@panix.com
John Schilling
2008-02-29 01:34:47 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by Travis Foster
I just finished the Vatta's War series and enjoyed it. I've liked most
of her books; some people have complained that she talks about horses
too much in the Herris Serrano series.
Some people like horses. I do prefer dogs, though. Any good dog sf out
there I may have missed?
If we stretch the definition of "dog" just a bit, there's Gordon Dickson's
_Wolf and Iron_. Quite good, IIRC.

If we stretch the definition of "dog" just a bit further, I'm pretty sure
Wile E. Coyote is a SFnal character...
--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
*661-951-9107 or 661-275-6795 * -58th Rule of Acquisition *
Dan Goodman
2008-02-25 18:14:11 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Here's how I tell whether a book is worth reading: I _look inside_,
somewhere in the middle.
--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Sea Wasp
2008-02-26 01:44:00 UTC
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Here's how I tell whether a book is worth reading: I _look inside_,
somewhere in the middle.
Heretic and blasphemer. Perhaps not quite so bad as the "read the
ending" psychos, but close.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Andrew Plotkin
2008-02-26 01:50:29 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Dan Goodman
Here's how I tell whether a book is worth reading: I _look inside_,
somewhere in the middle.
Heretic and blasphemer. Perhaps not quite so bad as the "read the
ending" psychos, but close.
I read the back cover, erase it from my memory, and then read the
first few pages.

No, I don't know how I manage step 2. It surprised me too.

--Z
*
If the Bush administration hasn't shipped you to Syria for interrogation, it's
for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because of the Eighth Amendment.
sionevar
2008-02-26 05:00:00 UTC
Heretic and blasphemer. Perhaps not quite so bad as the "read the ending"
psychos, but close.
Heh. That's pretty much me a to a T. My book buddies don't understand it,
but I always feel better knowing roughly what's going to happen by the end
of a book. Especially if it's a series I'm emotionally invested in and
something heavy is about to happen to a major character.

I wonder how many people have turned into ending-readers after 'A Storm of
Swords'...
erilar
2008-02-26 17:28:01 UTC
Post by sionevar
Heh. That's pretty much me a to a T. My book buddies don't understand it,
but I always feel better knowing roughly what's going to happen by the end
of a book. Especially if it's a series I'm emotionally invested in and
something heavy is about to happen to a major character.
For me, knowing the ending is a total turn-off. I also like
mysteries, but I insist on a real mystery, not one of those boring books
that tell the reader every thought and move the villain makes in advance.
Post by sionevar
I wonder how many people have turned into ending-readers after 'A Storm of
Swords'...
I gave up on Martin some time ago. YUCK!

Ken from Chicago
2008-02-26 10:06:17 UTC
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Here's how I tell whether a book is worth reading: I _look inside_,
somewhere in the middle.
Heretic and blasphemer. Perhaps not quite so bad as the "read the ending"
psychos, but close.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;; Live Journal: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Wait, you're NOT spose to judge a book by its cover--or coverage?!

-- Stunned Ken from Chicago
Sea Wasp
2008-02-26 13:26:40 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Here's how I tell whether a book is worth reading: I _look inside_,
somewhere in the middle.
Heretic and blasphemer. Perhaps not quite so bad as the "read the ending"
psychos, but close.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;; Live Journal: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Wait, you're NOT spose to judge a book by its cover--or coverage?!
Of course not. You're supposed to judge by the story. What's INSIDE
the covers.

*IN ORDER!*

You start at the beginning, and read to the end. None of this
Middle-poking or End-grabbing!
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
David DeLaney
2008-02-26 20:17:23 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
You start at the beginning, and read to the end.
"And then stop."
Post by Sea Wasp
None of this Middle-poking or End-grabbing!
Dave "Middle-Earth-poking outlawed; three-volume film at 11" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Ken from Chicago
2008-02-27 03:35:45 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by JohnH.
[...]
... (sigh) ... way too easy.

-- Ken from Chicago (who chooses to not shoot fish in the humor barrel)
Rebecca Rice
2008-02-27 04:16:37 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by JohnH.
[...]
Middle-poking is a good way of figuring out whether the author's
particular tics are going to be too much for you. It doesn't
necessarily tell you too much about the story. For example, the Speed
of Dark was one of the featured books in a con panel on this very topic,
and I can tell you that page 119 is going to give you a very good idea
of how Lou is, and a lot of detail about sofa colors and clothing
patterns, and not much else.

Rebecca
Pete Granzeau
2008-02-25 21:42:31 UTC
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:45:42 -0800 (PST), "JohnH."
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
I don't know John Scalzi, but I do know the first four Vatta's War
novels--they are definitely space opera, but high order space opera.
Moon has also written some very interesting other novels--Remnant
Population, for instance. I haven't read Speed of Dark, but plan to.

It took me a long while to read the Familias Regnant novels. The fifth
novel looked to me to include some elements I really don't like reading
about (a theocracy that kept women essentially pregnant all summer and
barefoot all winter, but I eventually plowed my way through it, and the
rest of the novels were better (damn good, IMHO).
Bill Patterson
2008-02-26 15:12:30 UTC
Post by Pete Granzeau
[...]
Elizabeth Moon gets great respect for trying *different* stuff. The
Speed of Dark was IMO a better book than Remnant Population, though
both are thought-provoking and affecting. Think of it as a gloss on
"Flowers for Algernon" for the new century.
JScalzi
2008-02-25 22:41:33 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Thanks,
John
Personally, I'm very fond of Moon's work in the Vatta series and would
recommend the series on its own merits.

--JS
Jack Tingle
2008-02-25 23:40:08 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
!!SCALZI!! !!MOON!! !!! The Mil Sci-Fi CAGE... MATCH... OF... DOOM !!!
!!! SMELL... THE... BLOOD !!! HEAR... THE... SCREAMS !!!
!!! FRI--DAY... NIGHT... NITRO !!! (Crowd roars.)

(Two authors peer around corner of open gangway.) "Beer, John?" "Sounds
good." (Two authors creep back into hallway and exit, stage left.)

Both decent authors. Scalzi is more humorous (ref. 'Agent to the Stars'
or 'The Android's Dream'). Moon has a good hand with interesting
characters (ref. 'Remnant Population').

Regards,
Jack Tingle
MajorOz
2008-02-26 00:02:28 UTC
Post by Jack Tingle
Post by JohnH.
[...]
Just discovered Scalzi when my son gave me _Old Man's War_ for Xmas.
Finished _Ghost Brigades_ yesterday. Great books. He is a craftsman
with words, which is the singular requirement, in my book. Without
craftsmanship, no other aspect of writing counts.
Scalzi, however, goes beyond into an area where few others go. He
resists filler.
Example: In _Ghost Brigades_ , there were instances where the Good
Guys were planning an operation wherein they had to assemble personnel
and equipment, travel to a destination, and set up to attack. The
NEXT scene was the attack. Lesser lights (or those that are paid by
the word) would bore us to death with the details of assembly and
travel.
In a Dale Brown infodump, this is often necessary, but I admire Scalzi
for sticking to the story and not cluttering it up
with ........clutter.

cheers

oz, who also likes the Heinleinesque flavor (sorry, John; it's a
compliment)
d***@gmail.com
2008-02-26 15:48:28 UTC
Post by MajorOz
Post by Jack Tingle
Post by JohnH.
[...]
Whereas I'd say it was Heinleinesque but without the deep thought and
even-handedess Heinlein was known for. Put me down as someone who did
not care much for "Old Man's War". Not very well thought out -
chlorophyll in animals as an energy supplement? - and not a very deep
exploration of any of a number of themes he addresses (I'd have to say
I found it morally repugnant, but that's just me.)

I will say in his favor that he seems to be a pretty good writer.
David Cowie
2008-02-26 19:17:38 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Put me down as someone who did
not care much for "Old Man's War". Not very well thought out -
chlorophyll in animals as an energy supplement? - and not a very deep
exploration of any of a number of themes he addresses (I'd have to say
I found it morally repugnant, but that's just me.)
Morally repugnant? Here's a snippet from THE GHOST BRIGADES, which is the
sequel: (Jared is a Special Forces soldier)

He furrowed his brow. "The name isn't familiar," he said. "But then I've
met a few Rraey and Eneshans recently. They all tend to blur. But it makes
sense a Rraey would tell you this. They find the whole Special Forces
set-up morally appalling."
"Yes I know," Jared said. "He told me I was a slave."

Either Scalzi has had second thoughts about the setting, or he was setting
things up for a change of viewpoint.
--
David Cowie

Containment Failure + 37562:31
David Goldfarb
2008-02-27 10:04:33 UTC
Post by David Cowie
Either Scalzi has had second thoughts about the setting, or he was setting
things up for a change of viewpoint.
As a regular reader of Scalzi's blog, I'm about 95% sure that the
latter is the case.
--
David Goldfarb |"You know, squids are really an underutilized
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | villain origin in many comic books today."
***@csua.berkeley.edu | -- David R. Henry
MajorOz
2008-02-26 23:19:00 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by MajorOz
Post by Jack Tingle
Post by JohnH.
[...]
With the proper tweaks to metabolic function, sure.

- and not a very deep
Post by d***@gmail.com
exploration of any of a number of themes he addresses
One man's development is another man's sleeping pill. Much of what I
find, in SF in the last.....oh, .....25 yrs or so, that passes for
"development" is simply litcrit fingerpainting. KEEP THE STORY
MOVING. (not to be confused with "action shots")

But, as ever, mileage varies.
Post by d***@gmail.com
I will say in his favor that he seems to be a pretty good writer.
We agree.

cheers

oz
sionevar
2008-02-26 04:55:46 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I tried the Herris Serrano novels but gave up halfway through the second
book. Just couldn't work myself up to giving a damn about any of the
hopelessly one-dimensional characters.

And don't get me started on the horse stuff. Just kill me now...

But I had just finished reading the entire Miles Vorkosigan series. That
pretty much spoils you for everything else. IMHO.
Doug
2008-02-27 04:22:18 UTC
Post by sionevar
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I tried the Herris Serrano novels but gave up halfway through the second
book. Just couldn't work myself up to giving a damn about any of the
hopelessly one-dimensional characters.
And don't get me started on the horse stuff. Just kill me now...
But I had just finished reading the entire Miles Vorkosigan series. That
pretty much spoils you for everything else. IMHO.
True: the Vorkosigan series sets a pretty high standard! But the
Heris Serrano series is pretty good. _Once a Hero_ is superb. I
admit I thought the series dragged on, but the earlier books were
excellent.

Doug
BillGill
2008-02-26 14:17:48 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Thanks,
John
You have plenty of opinions below. But I wanted to mention that Moon's
_Remnant Population_ is just about the best thing she has written. It
should definitely be on your list. It isn't anything like her others.

I started reading Moon with her fantasy _Deed of Paksenarrion_, then followed
on with her space opera. I gave up on that after a while.

Bill Gill
Bill Patterson
2008-02-26 15:10:18 UTC
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? �Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. �In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. �From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Thanks,
John
They're not really *very* similar, though both are written in a
pleasing "commercial" prose, intriguing and entertaining.

The Vatta's War series is Moon's latest and show a lot of her
signature tropes, but some of the earlier Serrano's Legacy series are
more "fun." The aunt who is on the periphery of the family and who
hires Heris Serrano as her personal pilot after she is disgraced at
the Academy takes her equitation-trained horses from planet to planet,
so it's Equitation in Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce! It would be closer to compare
Moon to Bujold-lite than to Scalzi.
netcat
2008-02-26 15:18:40 UTC
In article <dbcfcc9c-6bab-42d2-b831-
***@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by Bill Patterson
The Vatta's War series is Moon's latest and show a lot of her
signature tropes, but some of the earlier Serrano's Legacy series are
more "fun." The aunt who is on the periphery of the family and who
hires Heris Serrano as her personal pilot after she is disgraced at
the Academy takes her equitation-trained horses from planet to planet,
so it's Equitation in Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce!
You just convinced me to never read it. Thanks for the warning.

rgds,
netcat
erilar
2008-02-26 17:22:57 UTC
Post by Bill Patterson
The Vatta's War series is Moon's latest and show a lot of her
signature tropes, but some of the earlier Serrano's Legacy series are
more "fun." The aunt who is on the periphery of the family and who
hires Heris Serrano as her personal pilot after she is disgraced at
the Academy takes her equitation-trained horses from planet to planet,
so it's Equitation in Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce!
You just convinced me to never read it. Thanks for the warning.
Tastes differ. I really enjoy both hers and Scalzi's, but I like hers
more.

netcat
2008-02-27 09:38:05 UTC
Post by Bill Patterson
The Vatta's War series is Moon's latest and show a lot of her
signature tropes, but some of the earlier Serrano's Legacy series are
more "fun." The aunt who is on the periphery of the family and who
hires Heris Serrano as her personal pilot after she is disgraced at
the Academy takes her equitation-trained horses from planet to planet,
so it's Equitation in Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce!
You just convinced me to never read it. Thanks for the warning.
Tastes differ. I really enjoy both hers and Scalzi's, but I like hers
more.
I just really don't care for horses. And even less for horses doing...
equitation or whatever.

rgds,
netcat
Wayne Throop
2008-02-27 10:07:13 UTC

: netcat <***@devnull.eridani.eol.ee>

: I just really don't care for horses. And even less for horses
: doing... equitation or whatever.

I don't recall any horses in the Vatta series. So that should be safe.
Indeed... it's got dogs. Or at least, a dog.

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
netcat
2008-02-27 11:11:03 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
:::: The Vatta's War series is Moon's latest and show a lot of her
:::: signature tropes, but some of the earlier Serrano's Legacy series
:::: are more "fun." The aunt who is on the periphery of the family and
:::: who hires Heris Serrano as her personal pilot after she is
:::: disgraced at the Academy takes her equitation-trained horses from
:::: planet to planet, so it's Equitation in Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce!
::: You just convinced me to never read it. Thanks for the warning.
:: Tastes differ. I really enjoy both hers and Scalzi's, but I like hers more.
: I just really don't care for horses. And even less for horses
: doing... equitation or whatever.
I don't recall any horses in the Vatta series. So that should be safe.
Indeed... it's got dogs. Or at least, a dog.
Ah, I may have been too vague. I did mean the Serrano series, which did
sound mildly intriguing until the sentence arrived at "equitation".

The Vatta's War I'll probably not read anyway on account of not being
overly fond of either MilSF or Moon, unless my TBR pile mysteriously
vanishes (I still have one of her short story collections and _Speed of
Dark_ on there). Although I found _Old Man's War_ rather pleasant
reading.

rgds,
netcat
douglas winston
2008-02-27 15:06:34 UTC
SF List items contain at least one cat-like being (small or large)
Title: Author: Cat name,description:
"A Birthday",by Esther M.Friesner 0-312-86974-6: Squeaker,cat
_A Deepness in the Sky_by Vernor Vinge: Miraow,cat;
_A Fall of Princes_by Judith Tarr: Ulan,ul-cat;
_A Fistful of Charms_by Kim Harrison p.133: Rex,orange kitten;
_A Fistful of Sky_by Nina Kiriki Hoffman: Bavol,cat;
_A Girl's Guide to Vampires_by Katie MacAlister p.5: Davide,cat;
_A Night in the Lonesome October_by Roger Zelazny p.7: Graymalk,cat;
_A Prison Unsought_by S.Smith&D.Trowbridge: Lucifur,Faustian cliffcat;
_A Question of Time_by Fred Saberhagen p.229: Beagle,calico cat;
_A Secret Rage_by Charlaine Harris p.18: Attila,orange tabby;
"A Tail of Two SKittys",by Mercedes Lackey: Astra Stardancer,shipcat;
_A Trace of Memory_by Keith Laumer: Itz,grey and white cat;
_A Wizard Abroad_by Diane Duane: Bronski,black&white cat;
_Active Measures_by Janet Morris&David Drake: M-1,black Persian cat;
_Against the Tide of Years_by S.M.Stirling: Fluffy Fury,Egyptian cat;
_Against the Tide_by John Ringo p.191: Muffins,cat;
"Alpha and Omega",by Patricia Briggs: Mouser,Siamese cat;
_Animist_by Eve Forward p.103: Alopecia,calico cat;
_Anvil_by Nicolas van Pallandt: Raymond,cat;
_Arc of the Dream_by A.A.Attanasio: Peppercorn,black cat;
_Back to the Moon_by Homer H.Hickam,Jr.: Paco,black-and-white cat;
_Balance of Trade_by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Flinx,cat;
_Barbary_by Vonda N.McIntyre p.32: Mickey,Manx cat;
_Batman: The Ultimate Evil_by Andrew Vachss: Chui,snow leopard;
_Beast Master's Circus_by Andre Norton&Lyn McConchie p.183: Prauo,cat;
_Beyond the Rules_by Doranna Durgin p.96: OldCat,cat;
"Biting in Plain Sight",by MaryJanice Davidson p.72: Fred,cat;
"Blood Wrapped",by Tanya Huff p.242: Alexander,cat;
_Book of Moons_by Rosemary Edghill p.214: Yarrow,cat;
_Broken Crescent_by S.Andrew Swann p.7: Tux,cat;
_Bug Park_by James P.Hogan: Batcat,gray cat;
_C.L.A.W._by Richard Graves: Tiger,cat;
_Callahan's Key_by Spider Robinson: Pixel,cat:
"Calling on Dragons",by Patricia C.Wrede: Trouble,gray tomcat;
_Carpe Demon_by Julie Kenner p.13: Kabit,cat;
_Carpe Diem_by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Merlin,gray tabby cat;
_Castle in the Air_by Diana Wynne Jones p.136: Midnight,cat;
_Cat-A-Lyst_by Alan Dean Foster: Grinsaw,cat;
_Catspaw_by Joan D.Vinge: Blunder,cat;
_Certain Symmetry_by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller: Newmoon,cat;
_Charmed Life_by Diana Wynne Jones: Fiddle,cat;
_Children of Tomorrow_by A.E.Van Vogt: Fuzzy,kitten;
_Claimed by Shadow_by Karen Chance p.184: Sheba,black panther;
_Clash of Star-Kings_by Avram Davidson: Evans,tootsie cat;
_Cleopatra 7.2_by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough p.66: Zul,cat;
_Cold Iron_by Melisa Michaels p.333: Vicious,black cat;
_Conan and the Spider God_by L.Sprague deCamp:Kirmizi,Hyrkanian tiger;
_Conjure Wife_by Fritz Leiber: Totem,white&black cat;
_Conspiracy in Death_by J.D.Robb: Galahad,gray cat;
_Crown of Slaves_by David Weber & Eric Flint p.563: Ariel,treecat;
_Crystal Dragon_by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller p.136: Lucky,cat;
_Dagger Magic_by Katherine Kurtz & Deborah Turner Harris: Bacall,cat;
_Darklost_by Mick Farren p.154: Atom,cat;
_Darwin's Radio_by Greg Bear: Crickson,orange tabby;
_Daybreak-2250A.D._by Andre Norton: Lura,Siamese cream coloring;
_Dead Until Dark_by Charlaine Harris p.14: Tina,cat;
"Dear Charles",by Murray Leinster p.39: Norton,cat;
_DeathDay_by William C.Dietz p.347: Mako,cat;
_Derelict For Trade_by Andre Norton & Sherwood Smith: Omega,cat;
_Dhampir_by Barb&J.C.Hendee p.78: Misty,young tabby;
_Dies the Fire_by S.M.Stirling p.62: Biltis,orange cat;
_Dog Warrior_by Wen Spencer p.201: Schrodinger Five,kitten;
_Dog Wizard_by Barbara Hambly: Fysshe,cinder gray cat;
_Dogsbody_by Diana Wynne Jones p.16: Remus,cat;
_Draconian New York_by Robert Sheckley: Touissant,orange cat;
_Dragon Tears_by Dean Koontz: Fluffy,cat;
_Dragonne's Eg_by Mary Brown: Beau-cat,cat;
_Dragonshadow_by Barbara Hambly: Fat Kitty,cat;
_Dreams Underfoot_by Charles de Lint p.446: Ben,cat;
_Earth Angel_by Raymond Obstfeld: Blue,cat;
_Elf Defense_by Esther M.Friesner: Cesare,cat;
_Emperors of the Twilight_by S.Andrew Swann p.216: Lao-Tze,black cat;
_Endless Blue_by Wen Spencer p.73: Miles,cat;
_Eternity Row_by S.L.Viehl: Juliet,cat;
_Eye of Heaven_by Marjorie M.Liu p.43: Lila,lioness;
_Fallen Dragon_by Peter F.Hamilton p.336: Samson,black cat;
_Felicia_by George Alec Effinger: Cyrus,Persian cat;
"Fido",by Gordon R.Dickson: Buster,cat;
"Fill in the Blank",by Ron Gloulart: Oscar,cat;
_Finity_by John Barnes: Fluffy,cat;
_First Lensman_by E.E.Smith: Thomas,grayish-striped cat;
_Flying to Pieces_by Dean Ing: Mayday,cat;
_Fool on the Hill_by Matt Ruff: Blackjack,Manx;
_Fool's Errand_by Robin Hobb p.268: Fennel,cat;
_Freddy Plays Football_by Walter R.Brooks: Jinx,black cat;
_Friday_by Robert A,Heinlein p.45: Mister Underfoot,tomcat;
_Galactic Odyssey_by Keith Laumer p.36: Eureka,cat;
_Gate of Darkness,Circle of Light_by Tanya Huff: Tom,gray tabby;
_Gather,Darkness!_by Fritz Leiber p.70: Grimalkin,cat;
_Gaudeamus_by John Barnes p.33: Anata,cat;
_Glory's War_by Alfred Coppel: Mira,cat;
_God Stalk_by P.C.Hodgell: Jorin,cat;
_Going Postal_by Terry Pratchett p.34: Mr.Tiddles,black&white cat;
_Golden Fool_by Robin Hobb p.682: Pard,cat;
_Grave Sight_by Charlaine Harris p.70: Patpaws,marmalade cat;
_Green Rider_by Kristen Britain p.185: Dragon,cat;
_Gumshoe Gorilla_by Keith Hartman: Medea,cat;
_Gunpowder Empire_by Harry Turtledove page 19: Fafhrd,red tabby;
_Half Magic_by Edward Eager p.30: Carrie Chapman Cat,cat;
_Hammered_by Elizabeth Bear p.30: Boris,tomcat;
"Hansel's Eyes",by Garth Nix p.335: Lazarus,cat;
"Hardshell",by Dean R.Koontz: Seuss,Siamese;
_Harry Potter&the Prisoner of Azkaban_by J.K.Rowling:Crookshanks,cat;
_Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_by J.K.Rowling: Snowy,cat;
"Helix the Cat",by Theodore Sturgeon: Helix,black cat;
_Hidden Moon_by Lori Handeland p.40: Oprah,cat;
_Hosts_by F.Paul Wilson: Duffy,cat;
"How to Make Unicorn Pie",by Esther Friesner: Gorbaduc,gray tabby;
_I Dare_by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Silk,cat;
_Icefalcon's Quest_by Barbara Hambly: Toughie,cat;
_In the Country of the Blind_by Michael Flynn p.16:Feline P.Cat,Manx;
_In the Hand of the Goddess_by Tamora Pierce p.17: Faithful,cat;
"Intermission Time",by Raymond F.Jones: Toby,yellow cat;
_Ithanalin's Restoration_by Lawrence Watt-Evans p.24: Smoky,cat;
_Jack the Bodiless_by Julian May p.45: Marcel LaPlume,Maine Coon cat;
_Jane's Warlord_by Angela Knight p.26: Octopussy,Siamese;
_Kingdoms of Light_by Alan Dean Foster: Cezer,cat;
"Little Dot",by Diana Wynne Jones 0-14-250142-5 p.301: Little Dot,cat;
"Local Custom",by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Relchin,cat;
_Lyrec_by Gregory Frost: Borregad,black cat;
_Maskerade_by Terry Pratchett: Greebo,gray cat;
_Master of Dragons_by Angela Knight p.19: Snowball,Persian kitten;
_Master of the Moon_by Angela Knight p.206: Fifi,cat name;
_Memory_by Lois McMaster Bujold: Zap,black cat;
_Mind of the Magic_by Holly Lisle: Hrogner,grey tabby cat;
_Minerva Wakes_by Holly Lisle: Murp,cat;
_Mirage_by Don Passman p.48: Minerva,cat;
_Mission to Universe_by Gordon R.Dickson: Sprockets,cat;
_Moon Called_by Patricia Briggs p.9: Medea,Manx;
_Moonseed_by Stephen Baxter: Willis,cat;
_Mother of Winter_by Barbara Hambly: Archbishop,cat;
_Naked to the Stars_by Gordon R.Dickson: Limpari,cheetah;
_Necrom_by Mick Farren p.87: Errol,black Persian cat;
_Nevernever_by Will Shetterly: Snicker,cat;
_Night of Madness_by Lawrence Watt-Evans: Deathbringer,cat;
_Nightseer_by Laurell K.Hamilton: Gilstorpoth,black&white cat;
_No Defense_by Kate Wilhelm: Thing One,cat;
"No Species Alone",by Tom Godwin 0-7434-8849-0 p.379: Susie,cat;
"Novice",by James H.Schmitz: Tick-Tock,catlike;
_Now He Thinks He's Dead_by Ron Goulart: Kafka,black cat;
_Odyssey_by Jack McDevitt p.204: Milly,kitten;
"Originally Human",by Eileen Wilks p.163: Mona,black cat;
"Orphans of Eden",by Spider Robinson: Smokey,cat;
_Out of This World_by Lawrence Watt-Evans: Sylvester (Silly Cat);
_Outworld Cats_by Jack Lovejoy: Lakme,Siamese;
_Owlflight_by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon: Grimkin,cat;
_Partners in Time_by Pamela Simpson: Redford,orange tabby;
_Past Imperative_by Dave Duncan: Tiger,cat;
_Past the Size of Dreaming_by Nina Kiriki Hoffman: Pepe le Pew,cat;
_Paths Not Taken_by Simon R.Green p.63: Maxwell,cat;
_Pigs Don't Fly_by Mary Brown: Saffron,ginger cat;
_Poltergeist_by Kat Richardson p.89: Dyslexia,cat;
_Power Lines_by Anne McCaffrey&Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:Ugraine,cat;
_Powers That Be_by Anne McCaffrey&Elizabeth A.Scarborough:Nanook,cat;
_Princess of Wands_by John Ringo p.323: Lazarus,black cat;
_Radiant_by James Alan Gardner p.334: Fluffy,cat;
_Rainbow Six_by Tom Clancy: Jiggs,calico cat;
_Ralestone Luck,by Andre Norton p.66: Cinders,black tom-cat;
_Red Dwarf Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers_by G.Naylor:Frankenstein;
_Replay_by Ken Grimwood p.79: Chumley,plump orange cat;
_Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds_by Brian Daley: Bartleby,ship's cat;
_Riders of the Winds_by Jack L.Chalker p.175: Shadowcat,cat;
_Roverandom_by J.R.R.Tolkien: Tinker,black cat;
_Royal Assassin_by Robin Hobb: Hisspit,cat;
_Sabriel_by Garth Nix: Biscuits,marmalade cat;
_Sargasso of Space_by Andre Norton p.35: Sinbad,cat;
"Say Cheese",by Elizabeth Moon 978-1-59780-109-6 p.255: Moro,cat;
_Schismatrix_by Bruce Sterling: Saturn,tortoiseshell cat;
"Scout's Progress",by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Patch,cat;
_Searching For Dragons_by Patricia C.Wrede: Chaos,cat;
_Second Star_by Dana Stabenow: Hotstuff,cat;
_Seeker_by Jack McDevitt p.295: Balfour,cat;
_Sex and the Single Vampire_by Katie MacAlister p.76: Woogums,cat;
_Shadow's Son_by Meier,Stirling & Wehrstein: Fishhook,wing-cat;
_Sister to the Rain_by Melisa Michaels p.80: Tinker,ginger cat;
_Sisters of the Raven_by Barbara Hambly p.32: Gray King,cat;
_Siva_by Walt and Leigh Richmond: Meig,babustin;
"SKitty",by Mercedes Lackey: Lady Sundancer,shipcat;
_Slam_by Lewis Shiner: Oreo,black-and-white cat;
_Smart House_by Kate Wilhelm: Ashcan,gray cat;
_Smoke and Shadows_by Tanya Huff p.144,158,184: Zazu,black&white cat;
_Snowbrother_by S.M.Stirling: Dh'ingun-Zhaukut-Morkratuk,black cat;
"Someone Else's Shadow",by Barbara Hambly p.198: Llyr,cat;
_Something Rotten_by Jasper Fforde p.257: Archibald,the Cat;
"Spacecat",by Barbara Paul _Feline and Famous_: McCat,cat;
_Spirits White As Lightning_by M.Lackey&R.Edghill: Hallow,gray tabby;
_Stalking Darkness_by Lynn Flewelling: Ruetha,cat;
_Starcruiser Shenandoah Squadron Alert_by R.J.Green:Kadin,Siamese cat;
_StarDoc_by S.L.Viehl: Jenner,Tibetan temple cat;
_Stargate_by Dean Devlin&Roland Emmerich: Hathor,cat;
_Starstrike_by W.Michael Gear: Tips,black&white cat;
_Status Quotient: The Carrier_by Ralph A.Sperry: Brach,cat;
_Storm Front_by Jim Butcher p.162: Mister,grey cat;
_Stranger at the Wedding_by Barbara Hambly p.281: Saffron,cat;
_Summon the Keeper_by Tanya Huff: Austin,cat;
_Tailchaser's Song_by Tad Williams: Fritti Tailchaser,cat;
"Talking To Dragons",by Patricia C.Wrede: Cassandra,gray cat;
_Tall,Dark&Dead_by Tate Hallaway p.94: Yeep,cat;
_Tamsin_by Peter S.Beagle: Mister Cat,black cat;
_Teckla_by Steven Brust p.52: Ambrus,cat;
"The Abominable House Guest",by Theodore Sturgeon: Fluffy,white cat;
_The Aldebaran Campaign_by Cornett & Randle: Carlyle,cat;
_The Amazing Maurice&His Educated Rodents_by T.Pratchett: Maurice,cat;
_The American Zone_by L.Neil Smith: Silvertip,gray&white cat;
_The Armageddon Rag_by George R.R.Martian p.51: Ho Chi Minh,Siamese;
_The Big Over Easy_by Jasper Fforde p.17: Ripvan,cat;
_The Big U_by Neal Stephenson p.56: Spike,kitten;
"The Black Cat",by Edgar Allan Poe: Pluto,black cat;
_The Blue Sword_by Robin McKinley: Narknon,cat;
_The Cage_by S.M.Stirling&Shirley Meier: Ten-Knife-Foot,cat;
_The Circle Opens:Street Magic_by Tamora Pierce: Ria,black&white cat;
_The Clan Corporate_by Charles Stross p.42: Oscar,cat;
"The Cold Equations",by Tom Godwin 0-7434-8849-0 p.526: Flossy,cat;
"The Conspirators",by James White: Felix,black cat;
_The Crossroads of Time_by Andre Norton: Missus,cat;
_The Devil's Code_by John Sandford: Cat,cat;
_The Domination_by S.M.Sterling: Omar,cat;
_The Door Into Fire_by Diane Duane: M'ssssai,gray tabby;
_The Door Into Summer_by Robert A.Heinlein: Petronius,cat;
_The Fire-Eater_by Ron Goulart: Carlos,yellow cat;
_The Fourth Bear_by Jasper Fforde p.355: Foss,cat;
_The Free Lunch,by Spider Robinson: Smokey,cat;
_The Goblin Reservation,by Clifford D.Simak: Sylvester,saber-tooth;
_The Godmother's Apprentice_by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough: Popsy,cat;
_The Godmother's Web_by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough: Puss,cat;
_The Godmother_by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough: Bronski,black&white cat;
_The Good,The Bad,and the Undead_by Kim Harrison: Sarcophagus,cat;
_The Gumshoe,the Witch,&the Virtual Corpse_by K.Hartman:Urvashi,tabby;
_The Hamlet Trap_by Kate Wilhelm: Candy,orange cat;
_The Interior Life_by Katherine Blake p.89: Boots,cat;
_The Knight_by Gene Wolfe p.164: Mani,cat;
_The Legacy of Lehr_by Katherine Kurtz: Matilda,blue;
"The Lives of Christopher Chant",by Diana Wynne Jones: Bethi,cat;
"The Magicians of Caprona",by Diana Wynne Jones p.14: Benvenuto,cat;
_The Mark of the Cat_by Andre Norton: Mieu,black&orange markings;
_The Merlin Conspiracy_by Diana Wynne Jones: Slatch,big spotted cat;
_The Night Crew_by John Sandford p.105: Jimbo,cat;
_The Nine Lives of Catseye Gomez_by Simon Hawke: Catseye Gomez,cat;
_The Outcast of Heaven Belt_by Joan D.Vinge: Rusty,cat;
_The Paths of the Dead_by Steven Brust p.288: Sireng,cat;
_The Peshawar Lancers_by S.M.Stirling p.120: Imperial Cavalry,cat;
_The Pinhoe Egg_by Diana Wynne Jones: Nutcase,black cat;
_The Probability Broach_by L.Neil Smith: Lysander,Kitten;
_The Protector's War_by S.M.Stirling p.515: Saladin,cat;
_The Rackham Files_by Dean Ing: Spot,cheetah;
_The Reality Matrix_by John Dalmas: Simple Simon,Siamese cat;
_The Redemption of Althalus_by David & Leigh Eddings: Emerald,cat;
_The Ring of Allaire_by Susan Dexter: Thomas,tabby cat;
_The Salmon of Doubt_by Douglas Adams: Gusty Winds,cat;
_The Second Summoning_by Tanya Huff: Pixel,cat;
_The Singularity Project_by F.M.Busby: Fluffy,cat;
_The Soulkey_by Ann Downer p.5: Mambo,cat;
_The Subtle Knife_by Philip Pullman: Moxie,cat;
_The Three-Cornered War_by John Dalmas: Lotta,cat;
_The Triune Man_by Richard A.Lupoff: Trotsky,cat;
_The Unlikely Ones_by Mary Brown page 15: Moglet,kitten-cat;
_The Wanderer_by Fritz Leiber: Miaow,cat;
"The Wine of Memory",by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller p.219: Tween,cat;
_The Wreck of the River of Stars_by Michael Flynn: Anush Abur,cat;
_The Zero Stone_by Andre Norton: Valcyr,silver-gray cat;
_There Will Be Dragons_by John Ringo p.56: Azure,house lion;
"reported in the Thieves World Anthologies & novels": Notable,cat;
_Three Days to Never_by Tim Powers p.69: Chaz,black&gray cat;
_Through the Looking Glass_by Lewis Carroll: Dinah,cat;
_To Say Nothing of the Dog_by Connie Willis: Penwiper,kitten;
_Tomorrow!_by Philip Wylie p.14: Queenie,cat;
"reported in _Tuf Voyaging_ by George R.R.Martin": Dax,cat;
_Undead and Unwed_by Mary Janice Davidson p.34: Giselle,cat;
_Under Cover_by MaryJanice Davidson p.122: Booger,cat;
_Unto the Breach_by John Ringo p.139: Halsey,Ginger tabby;
_Very Bad Deaths_by Spider Robinson p.177: Fraidy,feral cat;
_Waldo & Magic,Inc._by Robert A.Heinlein p.123: Seraphin,cat;
_Warp Speed_by Travis S.Taylor p.26: Friday,cat;
"We All Die Naked",by James Blish: Splat!,Siamese;
_When the Gods Are Silent_by Jane Lindskold: Gimp,cat;
_White Light_by William Barton & Michael Capobianco: Neff,cat;
_Wicked Magic_by Cheyenne McCray: Spirit,cocoa colored cat;
_Wolf-speaker_by Tamora Pierce p.254: Blueness,tom;
_Wraith_by Phaedra Weldon p.265: Miss Lady,cat;
_Year of the Griffin_by Diana Wynne Jones p.292: Sabrina,cat;
_Yellow Eyes_by John Ringo&Tom Kratman p.42: Maggie,cat;
_Yesterday's Pawn_by W.T.Quick p.58: Matherbel,cat;
_Zodiac_by Neal Stephenson p.134: Scrounger,cat;
"Zoological Specimen",by A.Bertram Chandler: Minnie,cat.
erilar
2008-02-27 16:42:20 UTC
Post by douglas winston
SF List items contain at least one cat-like being (small or large)
Another one to save! AND to pass on to a cat-loving friend.

I must have around 3000 sf/fantasy books and have often thought how
lovely it would be to get them into a data base, but the prospect of
actually DOING it is mind-boggling. I do have them alphabetized fairly
well; they're 4 deep on the shelves and it's the only way I can EVER
hope to find something, I have a sister, daughter, and granddaughter who
periodically want to read a whole series by someone or other, so it's
not just a matter of what I might want to reread.

David DeLaney
2008-02-27 18:59:21 UTC
Post by erilar
I must have around 3000 sf/fantasy books and have often thought how
lovely it would be to get them into a data base, but the prospect of
actually DOING it is mind-boggling.
Advice:
a) Start _now_. The later you start, the longer it takes.
b) Don't try to do the whole thing in one go; that only works if you start
when you have few enough books that you can carry them all at once. Start
with one small section, and also add all books you buy _from now on_ as they
come in. And make sure you've got an area you can stack or shelve "already
entered" books in, AND that you do NOT have Helpful Assistants rearranging
the books for you as you go because they see they're off the shelves they
normally sit on...
Post by erilar
I do have them alphabetized fairly
well; they're 4 deep on the shelves and it's the only way I can EVER
hope to find something, I have a sister, daughter, and granddaughter who
periodically want to read a whole series by someone or other, so it's
not just a matter of what I might want to reread.
Well, sounds like you're going to have to note to everyone that you're going to
be slowly reshelving the entire collection of books to over HERE, and that
they shouldn't put books there themselves. Alphabetized is good - that breaks
it up into at least 26 smaller pieces to go through (though, granted, A, B, C,
G, H, L, M, and S will be larger than any of the others).

But at least start off on it. And think before you start on what sort of
database you want this in, because it's gonna be in that form for a Long Time
- is an ordinary textfile okay? (One has worked for me for over 20 years.) Do
you want an Excel spreadsheet? Something that a LibraryCat thingy can output
ISBN-scans into? Etc.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
douglas winston
2008-02-27 20:36:20 UTC
Something that a LibraryCat thingy can output ISBN-scans into? Etc.
I got a Cue Cat from Wired. It didn't work so I put it back in the
box. So I've decided it was a bad idea anyway. Typing 10 or 13 numbers
just does not take that long. Older books don't even have an SBN
number. There is no way to scan the Library of Congress number.
Even after I have the book number, I still have to fix something.
Add a cover artist, fix number of pages, add contributors, add
copyright date.

LibraryThing made the World Almanac list of useful websites,
but they are still making changes to their file format.
I am still adding books but I worry more now.

So I am still keeping my textfile updated. for example:
9781600570728PB2008 Janssen,Sarah editor _The World Almanac and Book
of Facts 2008_
Fixed columns for ISBN, copyright date, and author/editor.
But textfile is to big for msdos sort and has to be split in two
for qedit. Windoze editors can handle the size but I can't find
the sort. Linux vi can handle the size but has extra features that
scare me. I added a line thousands of times and still don't know
how and I haven't tried the sort. Anyway, my Linux Operating System
is obsolete and I need something newer with a 2.3 version of glibc.
David DeLaney
2008-02-27 22:09:22 UTC
Post by douglas winston
Windoze editors can handle the size but I can't find
the sort. Linux vi can handle the size but has extra features that
scare me. I added a line thousands of times and still don't know
how and I haven't tried the sort.
o opens a line below your current line; O opens one above it. vi comes with
a helpfile, I believe? accessed through :help in my vim (exit the helpfile
just like you'd exit a regular vi file).

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
douglas winston
2008-02-28 01:12:48 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by douglas winston
Linux vi can handle the size but has extra features that
scare me. I added a line thousands of times and still don't know
how and I haven't tried the sort.
o opens a line below your current line; O opens one above it. vi comes with
a helpfile, I believe? accessed through :help in my vim (exit the helpfile
just like you'd exit a regular vi file).
o does open a line below my current line, thanks. And
O does open a line above it. It just that with my font o looks like O.
:help lists |usr_26.txt| Repeating
Rather cryptic
:help usr_26.txt
Just have to be smarter than the documentation writer, I guess.

8717 talson-Bar-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Gnomish Mines on level 6.
Killed by a vrock, while helpless.

I can see duplication if I had typed yyp at the right time.
Still missing how to do the thousands of lines of duplication.
Baffling.

Actually,I have a copy of vi Editor Pocket Reference by Arnold Robbins
And the command to Delete from current line to end of file works great.
Suspicious that there is a command to fix my exact problem.
David DeLaney
2008-02-28 01:45:10 UTC
Post by douglas winston
I can see duplication if I had typed yyp at the right time.
Still missing how to do the thousands of lines of duplication.
Baffling.
. repeats your last command. So accidentally typing a number-with-decimal
in edit mode, say 1970.34, has it interpret as "do my last thing 1970 times"
followed by "34 of whatever you say to do next". There's probably other ways,
but that's my main suspicion.
Post by douglas winston
Actually,I have a copy of vi Editor Pocket Reference by Arnold Robbins
And the command to Delete from current line to end of file works great.
Suspicious that there is a command to fix my exact problem.
Dave "it's like they'd magically foreseen it somehow" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from ***@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
David Harmon
2008-02-28 00:30:44 UTC
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:36:20 -0500 in rec.arts.sf.written, douglas
Post by douglas winston
But textfile is to big for msdos sort and has to be split in two
for qedit. Windoze editors can handle the size but I can't find
the sort.
Google for QSORT411.ZIP
or try e.g. ftp://ftp.mpoli.fi/pub/software/MISC/PJ2/QSORT411.ZIP
Cosmin Corbea
2008-02-28 07:21:24 UTC
Post by douglas winston
But textfile is to big for msdos sort and has to be split in two
for qedit. Windoze editors can handle the size but I can't find
the sort.
Can't find the sort? It's right there in any Windows installation. Just open
a command box and type sort. Or am I misunderstanding your requirements?
--
Regards,

Cosmin Corbea
douglas winston
Thanks, I will have to try that.
erilar
2008-02-29 00:55:09 UTC
Post by erilar
[...]
Actually, I don't use a data base for anything, so it would take even
longer. Besides, at my age, I could run out of years before I finished
anyway. I DO keep a running bibliography of my medieval history books
and of historical mysteries read/owned because they began more recently,
the latter with a list I found on the web. The sf/fantasy collection
goes back to well before the invention of home computers--to the 1950's.

David Harmon
2008-02-27 21:34:30 UTC
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:06:34 -0500 in rec.arts.sf.written, douglas
Post by douglas winston
_Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_by J.K.Rowling: Snowy,cat;
Named, but not seen. Likewise Tibbles, Mr. Paws, and Tufty.
Tibbles is set to help watch Harry in the beginning of Order of the
Phoenix.

Better to count Professor McGonagall who doubles as a tabby cat,
or Mrs. Norris, the caretaker's cat who becomes one of the
Basilisk's victims in Chamber of Secrets.
douglas winston
2008-02-27 23:40:58 UTC
Post by David Harmon
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:06:34 -0500 in rec.arts.sf.written, douglas
winston wrote,
Post by douglas winston
_Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_by J.K.Rowling: Snowy,cat;
Named, but not seen. Likewise Tibbles, Mr. Paws, and Tufty.
Tibbles is set to help watch Harry in the beginning of Order of the
Phoenix.
Better to count Professor McGonagall who doubles as a tabby cat,
or Mrs. Norris, the caretaker's cat who becomes one of the
Basilisk's victims in Chamber of Secrets.
Mr.Paws,cat check
Mrs.Norris,dust-colored cat check
Snowy,cat check
Tibbles,cat check
Tufty,cat check
Thanks, I must have overlooked Professor McGonagall.

Though, I think I have only a very few shape-shifter names.
Strictly speaking, they are not pet names though they could
be I suppose. Can you imagine calling a cat
Madame la Comtesse de Marzipan or Lady Lucy Duff Gordon or
Jasper Darlington Higgins IV or Boy Cat Zukas or
Thomas C.Carlyle or Doctor Henry Metzger or Mr.Smith or
Wind-Who-Leaves-The-Grasses-Silent or Winston?
Some mystery writers prefer unusual names, I guess.
erilar
2008-02-29 00:50:10 UTC
Post by douglas winston
Though, I think I have only a very few shape-shifter names.
Strictly speaking, they are not pet names though they could
be I suppose. Can you imagine calling a cat
Madame la Comtesse de Marzipan or Lady Lucy Duff Gordon or
Jasper Darlington Higgins IV or Boy Cat Zukas or
Thomas C.Carlyle or Doctor Henry Metzger or Mr.Smith or
Wind-Who-Leaves-The-Grasses-Silent or Winston?
Some mystery writers prefer unusual names, I guess.
Oh, but I love Wind-Who-Leaves-The-Grasses-Silent as a cat name! It's
so feline! Which book is that?

douglas winston
2008-02-29 01:35:12 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by douglas winston
Though, I think I have only a very few shape-shifter names.
Strictly speaking, they are not pet names though they could
be I suppose. Can you imagine calling a cat
Madame la Comtesse de Marzipan or Lady Lucy Duff Gordon or
Jasper Darlington Higgins IV or Boy Cat Zukas or
Thomas C.Carlyle or Doctor Henry Metzger or Mr.Smith or
Wind-Who-Leaves-The-Grasses-Silent or Winston?
Some mystery writers prefer unusual names, I guess.
Oh, but I love Wind-Who-Leaves-The-Grasses-Silent as a cat name! It's
so feline! Which book is that?
Black cat in "Originally Human", by Eileen Wilks
page 163 of _Cravings_ 0515138150
Cosmin Corbea
2008-02-28 07:15:14 UTC
Post by douglas winston
SF List items contain at least one cat-like being (small or large)
[...]
Post by douglas winston
_To Say Nothing of the Dog_by Connie Willis: Penwiper,kitten;
You only save one item per book? Because, for example, in "To Say Nothing of
the Dog", there are at least two more cats, both playing a more important
role than Penwiper: there is Mrs. Marmalade and especially Princess
Arjumand, whose supposed drowning drives the first half of the story.
--
Regards,

Cosmin Corbea
douglas winston
2008-02-28 09:20:30 UTC
Post by douglas winston
_To Say Nothing of the Dog_by Connie Willis: Penwiper,kitten;
You only save one item per book? Because, for example, in "To Say Nothing of
the Dog", there are at least two more cats, both playing a more important
role than Penwiper: there is Mrs. Marmalade and especially Princess
Arjumand, whose supposed drowning drives the first half of the story.
Mrs.Marmalade,cat check
Penwiper,Kitten check
Princess Arjumand,cat check
Cyril,bulldog check
Mr.Spivens,dog check

It depends, each author can contribute as many unique names as fits
in their book. Which book I record if the same name is used in more
than one book is a matter of chance. My goal is to count the most
common pet names for dogs and cats combined. The reason only one
name appears per book in the sf list is that is what fits in the 70
characters for an email line. This sf list is also my substitute
for proof-reading the text file. I admit to being a little fuzzy
about same author, same name, different animals.
douglas winston
2008-02-29 03:29:13 UTC
Match Cat name with Author (e.g. Princess Arjumand and Connie Willis)
Cat name Title: Author:
1.Alopecia,calico cat _Gaudeamus_ ,by John Barnes A
2.Ambrus,cat _Green Rider_ ,by Kristen Britain B
3.Asa,tortoiseshell _The Unlikely Ones_ ,by Mary Brown C
4.Astrophe,cat _Teckla_ ,by Steven Brust D
5.Austin,cat _Memory_ ,by Lois McMaster Bujold E
6.Beagle,calico cat _Mission to Universe_,by Gordon R.Dickson F
7.Biltis,orange cat _DeathDay_ ,by William C.Dietz G
8.Biscuits,marmalade _The Door Into Fire_ ,by Diane Duane H
9.Blackjack,Manx _Beyond the Rules_ ,by Doranna Durgin I
10.Blunder,cat _Book of Moons_ ,by Rosemary Edghill J
11.Deathbringer,cat _Necrom_ ,by Mick Farren K
12.Dragon,cat _The Fourth Bear_ ,by Jasper Fforde L
13.Duffy,cat _Stalking Darkness_ ,by Lynn Flewelling M
14.Errol,black Persian _Animist_ ,by Eve Forward N
15.Eureka,cat _Cat-A-Lyst_ ,by Alan Dean Foster O
16.Fafhrd,red tabby _Paths Not Taken_ ,by Simon R.Green P
17.Fennel,cat _Dog Wizard_ ,by Barbara Hambly Q
18.Foss,cat _Fallen Dragon_ ,by Peter F.Hamilton R
19.Fysshe,cinder gray _Grave Sight_ ,by Charlaine Harris S
20.Greebo,gray cat _The Door Into Summer_,by Robert A.Heinlein T
21.Grinsaw,cat _Fool's Errand_ ,by Robin Hobb U
22.Halsey,Ginger tabby _God Stalk_ ,by P.C.Hodgell V
23.Hrogner,grey tabby _Summon the Keeper_ ,by Tanya Huff W
24.Jorin,cat _Carpe Demon_ ,by Julie Kenner X
25.Kabit,cat _Galactic Odyssey_ ,by Keith Laumer Y
26.M'ssssai,gray tabby _The Wanderer_ ,by Fritz Leiber Z
27.Mako,cat _Mind of the Magic_ ,by Holly Lisle a
28.Mani,cat _Barbary_ ,by Vonda N.McIntyre b
29,Matherbel,cat _The Blue Sword_ ,by Robin McKinley c
30.Maxwell,cat _Cold Iron_ ,by Melisa Michaels d
31.Miaow,cat _Sabriel_ ,by Garth Nix e
32.Mickey,Manx cat _The Zero Stone_ ,by Andre Norton f
33.Miraow,cat _The Circle Opens_ ,by Tamora Pierce g
34,Moglet,kitten-cat _Maskerade_ ,by Terry Pratchett h
35.Narknon,cat _Yesterday's Pawn_ ,by W.T.Quick i
36.OldCat,cat _Unto the Breach_ ,by John Ringo j
37.Patpaws,marmalade _Callahan's Key_ ,by Spider Robinson k
38.Petronius,cat _Fool on the Hill_ ,by Matt Ruff l
39.Ruetha,cat _A Question of Time_ ,by Fred Saberhagen m
40.Samson,black cat _Cleopatra 7.2_,by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough n
41.Saturn,tortoiseshell _Nevernever_ ,by Will Shetterly o
42.Scrounger,cat _Zodiac_ ,by Neal Stephenson p
43.Sharky,cat _Schismatrix_ ,by Bruce Sterling q
44.Snicker,cat _Dies the Fire_ ,by S.M.Stirling r
45.Sprockets,cat _Broken Crescent_ ,by S.Andrew Swann s
46.Tux,cat _A Fall of Princes_ ,by Judith Tarr t
47.Ulan,ul-cat _Gunpowder Empire_ ,by Harry Turtledove u
48.Valcyr,silver-gray _Catspaw_ ,by Joan D.Vinge v
49.Vicious,black cat _A Deepness in the Sky_,by Vernor Vinge w
50.Yarrow,cat _Night of Madness_ ,by Lawrence Watt-Evans x
51.Zap,black cat _Hosts_ ,by F.Paul Wilson y
52.Zul,cat _The Knight_ ,by Gene Wolfe z
Answers appear after filler of imaginary titles from various sources:
A Catalog of the Library of Barnard's World;
A Compleat Atlas of the House;
A Country We Are Privileged to Visit,by Philip Rose;
A History of Lyonesse County, West Virginia,by E.A.Ringrose;
A History of my Father's People,by Medric the seer;
A Love Story for Valentine,by Colin Byrne;
A Quick Bier for Barney,by Gerald Vail;
A Scientist Looks at Aquilan Disk-worms;
A True and Faithfulle Historie of the Travels of Jehan Amberglaffe;
Agape and Filia in the Dialogues of Plato,by Gabriel Dawson;
Ah, Murder,by Louisa Cormier;
An Appraisal of Magical Education in Europe;
An Assessment of Darkside Culture;
An Oneirological Survey on the Frinthian Plane;
Analects of Utuhegal the Blasphemer;
Anecdotes of the Great Accountants, Vol.3;
Angels of Purgatory,by Vincent D'Agosta;
Another Bloody Atrium,by Cressie Adair;
Archaeological Studies at Zabmir;
Archegonion: The Book of the Most Ancient of Days;
Asia Under Siege,by McNeil and Cassel;
Barst's Catalogue of Alien Creatures;
Beast's Beatiful Bounty,by Guinevere Arthur;
Best Places to Stay on Liad, Third Edition;
Betrayed,by A.P.Pinn;
Better Off Dead,by Joseph Rothman;
Bright Comets and Other Obfuscations,by C.Wainwright Smithton;
Birds and Beasts of Basran;
Bobby BX-99 and the Plant Virus;
Bolos in Their Own Words,by Felix Hermes;
Answer matches Cat name with Author (e.g. 1N Alopecia and Eve Forward)
Answers are: 1N; 2D; 3g; 4A; 5W; 6m; 7r; 8e; 9l;10v;11x;12B;13y;
14K;15Y;16u;17U;18L;19Q;20h;21O;22j;23a;24V;25X;26H;
27G;28z;29i;30P;31Z;32b;33w;34C;35c;36I;37S;38T;39M;
40R;41q;42p;43k;44o;45F;46s;47t;48f;49d;50J;51E;52n.
---
208784074444053868680898293818804459959305118805146622
568384240922109559914312342839285826088525628634717836
34698673149430635636632274618120207190964577184338125=
Sent by Douglas Winston on February 28,2008

John Schilling
2008-02-26 18:52:18 UTC
Post by JohnH.
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad? Are
they something you would recommend reading?
She generally writes pretty good MilSF, and I'd recommend reading her
if you're into that sort of thing.
Post by JohnH.
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it. In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series. From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
I've only read the first of Scalzi's series so far, which isn't enough
for a fair comparison. But the dust jackets of the Vatta's war series
do give you a fair indication of what you'll be getting.

Also, this series has so far avoided two of Moon's minor recurring
pitfalls, which is to say cardboard villains and gratuitous horses.
Part of that may be that the real villains have been kept offstage
and shadowy-like so that we can't clearly see how thin the cardboard
is, but it works so far.
*661-718-0955 or 661-275-6795 * -58th Rule of Acquisition *
James Nicoll
2008-02-26 18:59:27 UTC
Post by John Schilling
I've only read the first of Scalzi's series so far, which isn't enough
for a fair comparison. But the dust jackets of the Vatta's war series
do give you a fair indication of what you'll be getting.
Also, this series has so far avoided two of Moon's minor recurring
pitfalls, which is to say cardboard villains and gratuitous horses.
Part of that may be that the real villains have been kept offstage
and shadowy-like so that we can't clearly see how thin the cardboard
is, but it works so far.
I have bad news for you. The cardboard villains creep onto
stage and posture interminally by (tries to remember series) the
second book, I think, and the first villain shown is a saint compared
to the people he's working for,

These are people who

SPOILER and I think not just in the sense of revealing plot twists

will induce labor in a pregnant woman to use her baby as a hostage
and then when they got what they wanted, kill the baby to show how EVILE
they are. The evil Space Texans were nuanced compared to Vatta's enemies.
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with
defending the English language [...]" T-shirt, cup and tote-bag needs)
Wayne Throop
2008-02-26 22:40:41 UTC
: ***@panix.com (James Nicoll)
: These are people who
: SPOILER and I think not just in the sense of revealing plot twists
: [... ghastlyness omitted ...]

Ouch. I had mercifully blotted that from my memory, THANK you very much.
<fx voice="miracle max"> While you're at it, why don't you give me
a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice in it? </fx>

Ah well. At least it clarifies my nagging feeling that, though some
folks argued she had toned it down a bit and I partly (maybe mostly)
agreed (not having called that to mind, thank Bog), I was
disremembering something.

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
C***@gmail.com
2008-02-27 17:05:15 UTC
Anybody got any feedback on Elizabeth Moon's books good or bad?  Are
they something you would recommend reading?
I read John Scalzi's Old Man's War series and really liked it.  In the
book store yesterday I saw some books by Elizabeth Moon, specifically
the Vatta's War series.  From reading the synopsis these Elizabeth
Moon books seemed to be written in a similar vain to John Scalzi's.
Thanks,
John
Regarding Elizabeth Moon, I haven't read any of her more recent works,
but I remember reading Sassinak/Planet Pirates and Generation Warriors
and finding them good. It may have been the influence of Anne MCAffrey
though, which I find to be excellent whenever she isn't talking about
dragons.