"16 Best Solarpunk Books" by Dan Livingston
2020-02-04 21:07:58 UTC
"16 Best Solarpunk Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/16-best-solarpunk-books/

"It’s hard not to be overwhelmed with pessimism and a sense of impending
doom one feels when looking at the current state of fractious politics
and lack of action to battle climate change."

"Solarpunk is a rebellion against all that. It’s
environmentally-focused, optimistic but practical, not “la la let’s
dance in the sun amidst the jolly wind turbines” but rather a pragmatic,
if hopeful, look at what might be, if humanity actually gets its act
together."

Zero for 16 here.

2020-02-05 04:49:55 UTC
"16 Best Solarpunk Books" by Dan Livingston
   https://best-sci-fi-books.com/16-best-solarpunk-books/
"It’s hard not to be overwhelmed with pessimism and a sense of impending
doom one feels when looking at the current state of fractious politics
and lack of action to battle climate change."
"Solarpunk is a rebellion against all that. It’s
environmentally-focused, optimistic but practical, not “la la let’s
dance in the sun amidst the jolly wind turbines” but rather a pragmatic,
if hopeful, look at what might be, if humanity actually gets its act
together."
Zero for 16 here.
Lynn
The synopsis of The Dispossessed is just wrong. Shevek isn't out to
reunite the two planets. He just wants backing for his FTL
communication research.
William Hyde
2020-02-05 18:37:39 UTC
"16 Best Solarpunk Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/16-best-solarpunk-books/
"It’s hard not to be overwhelmed with pessimism and a sense of impending
doom one feels when looking at the current state of fractious politics
and lack of action to battle climate change."
"Solarpunk is a rebellion against all that. It’s
environmentally-focused, optimistic but practical, not “la la let’s
dance in the sun amidst the jolly wind turbines” but rather a pragmatic,
if hopeful, look at what might be, if humanity actually gets its act
together."
Zero for 16 here.
Three here.

I seem to recall you've liked some books by Simak, and he was a very consistent author until late in life, so I think you'd like "Way Station".

If you do, try "Ring Around the Sun", a fine novel which would have been a Hugo contender if it were not written inconveniently early.

William Hyde
t***@gmail.com
2020-02-06 19:06:31 UTC
"16 Best Solarpunk Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/16-best-solarpunk-books/
"It’s hard not to be overwhelmed with pessimism and a sense of impending
doom one feels when looking at the current state of fractious politics
and lack of action to battle climate change."
"Solarpunk is a rebellion against all that. It’s
environmentally-focused, optimistic but practical, not “la la let’s
dance in the sun amidst the jolly wind turbines” but rather a pragmatic,
if hopeful, look at what might be, if humanity actually gets its act
together."
Zero for 16 here.
I've only read 3 myself.

I second William's recommendation of Way Station, by the way.[1]

Even after reading the list & descriptions, I confess I'm still not sure what
is meant by "Solarppunk"; but by crude comparison with whats on the list,
I wonder if Monument by Lloyd Biggle Jr fits.

Tony
[1] I also enjoyed Orion Shall Rise, but it's not clear to me if you would or not.
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-10 19:06:37 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
_Orion Shall Rise_ is in my SBR. Or maybe my read books, not sure.
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Shall-Rise-Poul-Anderson/dp/0671720902/

Lynn
William Hyde
2020-02-10 19:53:44 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
_Orion Shall Rise_ is in my SBR.
Move it to the top of the pile. I don't think you'll regret it.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Or maybe my read books, not sure.
I know we're both getting older, but it's a difficult book to forget.

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-10 23:27:32 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Or maybe my read books, not sure.
I know we're both getting older, but it's a difficult book to forget.
William Hyde
I just packed my 4,000+ read books and 500 SBR books and moved my family
to our new home last Thursday. Life is ... complex right now. I spent
four hours Saturday night looking for my home pc keyboard (with my
cables). Unpacked

I remember seeing _Star Prince Charlie_ in my read books. And I do
remember seeing an Orion in my SBR. Of course, that could be a Ben Bova
book also.
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Novel-Ben-Bova/dp/0812532473/

Nope, Amazon says that I bought _Orion Shall Rise_ on Nov 6, 2018.

I lost a lot of my Poul Anderson books in the Great Flood of '89.