[tor dot com] Six SF Novels (and One Song) Built Around Space Travel and Time Dilation
2018-11-26 15:15:54 UTC
Six SF Novels (and One Song) Built Around Space Travel and Time Dilation

https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/six-sf-novels-and-one-song-built-around-space-travel-and-time-dilation/
2018-11-26 18:05:44 UTC
Six SF Novels (and One Song) Built Around Space Travel and Time Dilation
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/six-sf-novels-and-one-song-built-around-space-travel-and-time-dilation/
Huh, I thought that I had read all of the Joan D. Vinge books.
Obviously, I have not. NOr any of the others.

And yes, I knew that Brian May got his PhD in physics a couple of years
ago. The man is extremely talented.

Lynn
William Hyde
2018-11-26 21:54:31 UTC
Six SF Novels (and One Song) Built Around Space Travel and Time Dilation
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/six-sf-novels-and-one-song-built-around-space-travel-and-time-dilation/
Huh, I thought that I had read all of the Joan D. Vinge books.
Obviously, I have not. NOr any of the others.
And yes, I knew that Brian May got his PhD in physics a couple of years
ago. The man is extremely talented.
Astronomy, actually.

And yes, he is. I'm absolutely sure that if I quit science during my PhD I wouldn't have been able to pick it up again 25 years later.

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2018-11-26 22:18:25 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Six SF Novels (and One Song) Built Around Space Travel and Time Dilation
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/six-sf-novels-and-one-song-built-around-space-travel-and-time-dilation/
Huh, I thought that I had read all of the Joan D. Vinge books.
Obviously, I have not. NOr any of the others.
And yes, I knew that Brian May got his PhD in physics a couple of years
ago. The man is extremely talented.
Astronomy, actually.
And yes, he is. I'm absolutely sure that if I quit science during my PhD I wouldn't have been able to pick it up again 25 years later.
William Hyde
Astrophysics according to Wikipedia !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May

"In 2007, May was awarded a PhD in astrophysics from Imperial College
London for work started in 1971 and completed in 2007". And yes, very
impressive that he restarted his work decades later.

From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics

"Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy that employs the principles of
physics and chemistry "to ascertain the nature of the astronomical
objects, rather than their positions or motions in space""

I am glad that he finds this interesting as I do not.

Especially after two decades of parties and groupies.
Martin
2018-11-28 15:00:44 UTC
A couple more that spring to mind:

"Tau Zero" by Poul Anderson.
"Time for the Stars" by Robert Heinlein.