YASID - Life After Body Death Story
The Zygon
2018-12-30 06:50:35 UTC
Hi All.

Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!

I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.

I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.

Thanks,
The Zygon
Jerry Brown
2018-12-30 08:31:08 UTC
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 22:50:35 -0800 (PST), The Zygon
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Thanks,
The Zygon
Parts of Banks' "Feersum Endjinn" match this.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Thomas Koenig
2018-12-30 14:52:22 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Parts of Banks' "Feersum Endjinn" match this.
A book that I could simply not read - the phonetic spelling
defeated me.
The Zygon
2018-12-31 06:25:17 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Thanks,
The Zygon
Parts of Banks' "Feersum Endjinn" match this.
--
Jerry Brown
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Banks' _Feersum Injun_ is on my to-read list. I actually have the book, and started it more than once. Also, I have not quite forgiven Banks for how he ended _Use of Weapons_. He could have given us a happy ending. He refused to. I like happy endings as long as they were not improbable. And in _Use of Weapons_ it is the unhappy ending which was improbable. And that was what Banks chose to give us.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the suggestion.
James Nicoll
2018-12-30 15:18:48 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male
of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can
survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with
finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I
am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
Voice of the Whirlwind?
2018-12-30 18:00:25 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of
female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive
body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and
punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring
to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
It could be one of a trilogy written by Justin Leiber (son of Fritz):
_Beyond Rejection_, _Beyond Humanity_, _Beyond Gravity_.
The Zygon
Thanks I will check them out.
The Zygon
This could be the story. It seems to ring a bell, though not loudly. Thanks.
a***@msn.com
Perhaps John Varley's "The Phantom of Kansas" (which is available at Varley's website here https://varley.net/excerpt/the-phantom-of-kansas-full-text/)?
The Zygon

This could be the story. It seems to ring a bell, though not loudly. Thanks.
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-30 18:49:20 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Jim Butcher's novel _Ghost Story_ is pretty much what
the title says. For that matter, _Hamlet_ seen from
the perspective of Hamlet's father would fit.

Then there's Bruce Willis in _The Surrogates_...
I think we do need more facts about your story.
The Zygon
2018-12-31 06:45:53 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Jim Butcher's novel _Ghost Story_ is pretty much what
the title says. For that matter, _Hamlet_ seen from
the perspective of Hamlet's father would fit.
Then there's Bruce Willis in _The Surrogates_...
I think we do need more facts about your story.
I have read _Ghost Story_. That is not it. I know that the facts I gave are sparse. It is all I could remember. But _Ghost Story_ does not fit the facts I gave.

Maybe I should mention the additional fact that his/her friends found the determination to find who murdered him/her to be a sign of mental instability and were somewhat embarrassed by it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Greg Goss
2018-12-31 06:06:58 UTC
I don't have internet at the moment, and am fuzzy about the title

The phantom of Kansas?
Weather sculptor in a large moon cavern has been murdered several
times.
2018-12-31 06:10:59 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
I don't have internet at the moment, and am fuzzy about the title
The phantom of Kansas?
Weather sculptor in a large moon cavern has been murdered several
times.
Web published by the author, hoping to generate interest for a movie.
https://varley.net/excerpt/the-phantom-of-kansas-full-text/
The Zygon
I think that you could be right. It was hard to find a book summary. But from the one summary I found, it sounds vaguely familiar. Thanks.
The Zygon
I have checked out _Phantom Of Kansas_ in more detail. It is not the book I am looking for.
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-02 07:47:54 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
Thanks,
The Zygon
_Don of the Dead_ by Casey Daniels ?
https://www.amazon.com/Don-Dead-Pepper-Martin-Mysteries/dp/0060821469/

Lynn
The Zygon
Thanks for trying but this does not fit. I deliberately said "body death" instead of "death" to make clear that there is no supernatural element. This is a society where people can be continually backed up and renaminated in a new body when the current body dies. The technology is as in _Altered Carbon_. But it is not the same story.
1***@compuserve.com
2019-01-03 20:19:37 UTC
Post by The Zygon
Hi All.
Belated Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
I would appreciate some help in identifying the story.
There is another Banks novel not yet mentioned here: _Surface Detail_. The protagonist is a woman whose original body was tattooed to the bone. Literally.

JimboCat
--
"For some people this sounds cool, for others, horrific.
Which is pretty much the essence of good science fiction." [David Morgan-Mar]
a***@msn.com
2019-01-04 00:34:00 UTC
Post by The Zygon
I am looking for a story in which a person (I can't recall whether male
of female) was killed. But this is a civilization in which a person can
survive body death. The person is revived and became consumed with
finding and punishing the who was responsible for their body-death. I
am not referring to _Cyteen_ or _Altered Carbon_.
This could possibly be John Varley's "The Phantom of Kansas".
It's in Varley's Eight Worlds setting, where gender change is
easy and reversible, so that could track with you not remembering
the protagonist's gender.
Mentioned upthread. The story is available on Varley's webpage, too,
https://varley.net/excerpt/the-phantom-of-kansas-full-text/