"A Civil Campaign: A Miles Vorkosigan Novel" by Lois McMaster Bujold
2021-07-31 21:19:38 UTC
"A Civil Campaign: A Miles Vorkosigan Novel" by Lois McMaster Bujold

https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Campaign-Lois-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671578855/

Book number fourteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
series. There are several other books and short stories in the
Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
was nominated for the 2000 Hugo and Nebula awards for best novel. I
have read this book at least twice. I reread the well printed and well
bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2000 that I just rebought on Amazon
(the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
series in MMPB.

Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan has sent his sights on Ekaterin
Vorsoisson, a widow whom he met on Komarr while investigating the
soletta space mirror destruction. She was not a widow when he met her
and her husband died while with Miles, chained in the deadly Komarrian
outdoors when his breath mask ran out of oxygen and power.

Unfortunately, due to the influence of interstellar technology, the
people on Barrayar elected to have more male children than female
children instead of the natural progression of nearly 50:50. The
resulting 60:40 split of men to women has left many young men desperate
to find a mate. The resulting confusion and one-upmanships has even
affected the widow Ekaterin Vorsoisson during her mourning year when she
is supposed to be left alone. Not so and even Miles has joined in,
treating the pursuit of Ekaterin as a military campaign in his desperation.

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
2. Falling Free
3. Shards of Honor
4. Barrayar
5. The Warrior's Apprentice
6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
7. The Vor Game
8. Cetaganda
9. Ethan Of Athos
10. Brothers in Arms
11. Mirror Dance
12. Memory
13. Komarr
14. A Civil Campaign
15. Diplomatic Immunity
16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
17. CryoBurn
18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (439 reviews)

Lynn
Martin
2021-07-31 23:47:57 UTC
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene alone is worth the price of the book.
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-01 01:09:25 UTC
Post by Martin
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene alone is worth the price of the book.
And the butter bug war at the Vorkosigan house started by the attempted
arrest of Dr. Enrique Borgos by the Escobaran Detective.

Lynn
p***@hotmail.com
2021-08-01 19:01:32 UTC
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene alone is worth the price of the book.
And the butter bug war at the Vorkosigan house started by the attempted
arrest of Dr. Enrique Borgos by the Escobaran Detective.
Better Butter Bugs for a Brighter Barrayar!

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Jerry Brown
2021-08-01 20:49:32 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene alone is worth the price of the book.
And the butter bug war at the Vorkosigan house started by the attempted
arrest of Dr. Enrique Borgos by the Escobaran Detective.
Better Butter Bugs for a Brighter Barrayar!
My favourite was Gregor's:
"This is the third time this month that [spoiler] has come to my
negative attention on matters touching political concerns. Remind us
to find a post for him somewhere in the Empire where he can be less
busy."

I've been trying for decades to find a way to work something based on
this into a team meeting.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-01 21:42:29 UTC
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene alone is worth the price of the book.
And the butter bug war at the Vorkosigan house started by the attempted
arrest of Dr. Enrique Borgos by the Escobaran Detective.
Better Butter Bugs for a Brighter Barrayar!
"This is the third time this month that [spoiler] has come to my
negative attention on matters touching political concerns. Remind us
to find a post for him somewhere in the Empire where he can be less
busy."
I've been trying for decades to find a way to work something based on
this into a team meeting.
I loved that also! I must admit, that is a sign of good management. If
they don't respect you then make them fear you has worked for me in
tough situations over the years.

Lynn
Ninapenda Jibini
2021-08-01 22:19:13 UTC
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT),
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
This is my favorite of the Vorkosigan books, and one of the
funniest SF novels I've ever read. The dinner party scene
alone is worth the price of the book.
And the butter bug war at the Vorkosigan house started by the
attempted arrest of Dr. Enrique Borgos by the Escobaran
Detective.
Better Butter Bugs for a Brighter Barrayar!
"This is the third time this month that [spoiler] has come to
my negative attention on matters touching political concerns.
Remind us to find a post for him somewhere in the Empire where
he can be less busy."
I've been trying for decades to find a way to work something
based on this into a team meeting.
I loved that also! I must admit, that is a sign of good
management. If they don't respect you then make them fear you
has worked for me in tough situations over the years.
I hear a chap named Machiavelli might possibly have agreed with
you.

Lynn:

William Hyde
2021-08-01 22:30:54 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
The internet assigns it to Caligula, though I have my doubts. I'm pretty sure his
uncle Tiberius said "I don't care if they hate me, as long as they fear me", which
is also attributed to Caligula.

When I worked at GE they seemed to have the same philosophy. I have never seen
a company so brazenly robbed by its employees.

William Hyde
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-01 23:30:13 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
A quick google attributes it to a character in a play by Lucius
Accius.

"Cicero recorded having met Accius in his youth and having seen
his plays, which he admired and often quoted, including the
famous line from Accius's Atreus, "Oderint, dum metuant!" ("Let
them hate so long as they fear"), a motto that is said to have
appealed to the tyrant Caligula."

It would've appealed to a lot of others.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Ninapenda Jibini
2021-08-02 00:00:06 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
The premise in The Prince is that it is preferable for the prince
to be feared rather than loved. He formalized it, perhaps, for his
time, but you are correct that it wasn't an original thought.
Post by William Hyde
When I worked at GE they seemed to have the same philosophy. I
have never seen a company so brazenly robbed by its employees.
Different rules apply in an employment situation, since it's rather
easier to choose a new employer than it is a new government.

Lynn:

2021-08-01 23:26:36 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
There's always Sun Tzu.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Dimensional Traveler
2021-08-02 01:24:57 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
Or Mark Twain.
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-02 02:17:50 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
Have you ever managed people ?

It is amazing to me how I could tell somebody that they had to get a
task done, they would parrot the details back to me, then walk off and
do something totally different. I would come back the next day and they
would say, oh I am going to start that right now. And I would say nope,
you are not, you are walking the street. And the rest of them get busy
on their given tasks.

Salespeople are the worst at getting things done. Followed closely by
software engineers. I have been doing this for 46 years, I ought to
write a book about my experiences (would be boring !). But I swore
after book #5 that I would never write another book. Shoot, I have paid
out over $20 million in salaries over the last 26 years alone.

Lynn
Ninapenda Jibini
2021-08-02 02:59:27 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Martin
[...]
Yes.

Have you ever been royalty in a monarchy?
Post by Lynn McGuire
It is amazing to me how I could tell somebody that they had to
get a task done, they would parrot the details back to me, then
walk off and do something totally different.
Indeed. The rare few who can actually follow directions while I'm
still on the phone with them are a treasure.

I would come back
Post by Lynn McGuire
the next day and they would say, oh I am going to start that
right now. And I would say nope, you are not, you are walking
the street. And the rest of them get busy on their given tasks.
I know a guy who treated his dice that way in a miniatures game.
When a pair rolled badly, it was "All dice on deck to witness
punishment," and he'd smash the offending pair with a hammer. And
inevitably, the rest would roll very well for the rest of the
night.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Salespeople are the worst at getting things done. Followed
closely by software engineers.
Try working in retail for a too many years. Have you ever had to
teach a cashier how to count money?
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have been doing this for 46
years, I ought to write a book about my experiences (would be
boring !). But I swore after book #5 that I would never write
another book. Shoot, I have paid out over $20 million in
salaries over the last 26 years alone.
Less than million a year? We pay more than that a month (without
bonuses, which are less than last year, but not by nearly as much
as I expected).

Lynn:

2021-08-02 20:09:43 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have been doing this for 46
years, I ought to write a book about my experiences (would be
boring !). But I swore after book #5 that I would never write
another book. Shoot, I have paid out over $20 million in
salaries over the last 26 years alone.
Less than million a year? We pay more than that a month (without
bonuses, which are less than last year, but not by nearly as much
as I expected).
Hey, I like the dice execution guy.

And royalty have a really bad habit of cutting people's heads off. Not
nice.

Since we write and sell engineering software to the general public of
the planet, where the USA government allows us to, we are retail. Our
business ebbs and flows with the crude oil and natural gas markets.

Lynn
Andrew Love
2021-08-01 23:05:27 UTC
I'm also found of the scene in which certain people find out what happens when they gave a hard time to a 10-year-old who has an important person's private phone number.
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-03 02:36:46 UTC
[...]
I forgot to mention that I have an alternate title for this book,
"Miles: A Comedy of Errors". Yes, I stole that from Robert Heinlein.
Always steal from the best !

2021-08-03 04:57:44 UTC
[...]
Note that Heinlein stole it from James Branch Cabell.
Martin
2021-08-03 14:50:52 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
"We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement." "
The book's full title is actually "A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners".
Lynn McGuire
2021-08-03 19:58:08 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
Checks book. And so you are correct, it is not on the cover of the MMPB
though.