OT: "Woodstock Occurred in the Middle of a Pandemic"
2020-05-04 05:38:52 UTC
OT: "Woodstock Occurred in the Middle of a Pandemic"

https://www.aier.org/article/woodstock-occurred-in-the-middle-of-a-pandemic/

"In my lifetime, there was another deadly flu epidemic in the United
States. The flu spread from Hong Kong to the United States, arriving
December 1968 and peaking a year later. It ultimately killed 100,000
people in the U.S., mostly over the age of 65, and one million worldwide."

"Lifespan in the US in those days was 70 whereas it is 78 today.
Population was 200 million as compared with 328 million today. It was
also a healthier population with low obesity. If it would be possible to
extrapolate the death data based on population and demographics, we
might be looking at a quarter million deaths today from this virus. So
in terms of lethality, it was as deadly and scary as COVID-19 if not
more so, though we shall have to wait to see."

"“In 1968,” says Nathaniel L. Moir in National Interest, “the H3N2
pandemic killed more individuals in the U.S. than the combined total
number of American fatalities during both the Vietnam and Korean Wars.”

"And this happened in the lifetimes of every American over 52 years of age."

"I was 5 years old and have no memory of this at all. My mother vaguely
remembers being careful and washing surfaces, and encouraging her mom
and dad to be careful. Otherwise, it’s mostly forgotten today. Why is that?"

"Nothing closed. Schools stayed open. All businesses did too. You could
go to the movies. You could go to bars and restaurants. John Fund has a
friend who reports having attended a Grateful Dead concert. In fact,
people have no memory or awareness that the famous Woodstock concert of
August 1969 – planned in January during the worse period of death –
actually occurred during a deadly American flu pandemic that only peaked
globally six months later. There was no thought given to the virus
which, like ours today, was dangerous mainly for a non-concert-going
demographic."

Interesting. The only thing that I remember from 1968 is when the radio
in Mom's VW Bus broke into a song and announced that Bobby Kennedy had
been shot in California and sadly died later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 07:30:59 UTC
[...]
How do I say this diplomatically...

I know!

YOU'RE A FUCKING DANGEROUS IDIOT.

Let's take everything you say at face value.

"The flu spread from Hong Kong to the United States, arriving December
1968 and peaking a year later.

It ultimately killed 100,000 people in the U.S."

So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.

COVID-19 has killed...

(checking for exact figures)

...68,602 since it arrive in the US...

...LESS THAN 4 MONTHS AGO!

And that is with all the efforts that have been put into slowing its spread.

What do you imagine the death toll would be TODAY if we hadn't enacted
the measures that have been put in place, you fucking ignorant twit?
Chrysi Cat
2020-05-04 12:33:44 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
He's already made that clear.

He thinks it'd be 68,602 "because obviously if you're meant to catch it,
you're meant to catch it, and all this cowardly hiding is doing nothing
other than destroying the economy for no reason."

It's ridiculously easy to disprove, just by showing how every social
gathering since February leads to close to half the participants
infected, but it /is/ his belief.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2020-05-04 14:11:35 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
To be a little more diplomatic...

It's the "American Institute for Economic Research" that clearly has proven that
one should not trust a word it says... not Lynn McGuire, even if his choice of
web sites to accept information from is questionable.

The charge of deliberate dishonesty ought to be placed where it belongs.

2020-05-04 15:14:32 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
To be a little more diplomatic...
It's the "American Institute for Economic Research" that clearly has proven that
one should not trust a word it says... not Lynn McGuire, even if his choice of
web sites to accept information from is questionable.
The charge of deliberate dishonesty ought to be placed where it belongs.
John Savard
In many places, the overall death rate (all causes) is spiking; In NYC it's now about 5 times normal. This suggests there are a lot of deaths from the virus that aren't being recorded as such.

I don't know how nasty the paywall will be for you, but this is an eye opener

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

Pt
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:48:16 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
this ain’t over yet. there’s gonna be lots and lots and lots of fun, fun,
FUN, especially in areas which ‘reopen’ quickly.

Time to buy stock in companies which make ventilators and other hospital
equipment. Time to sell stock in airlines, bus lines, trainlines, and
cruiseship companies, if you can find someone who’ll take such stock off
your hands.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-04 22:36:07 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
There are now over 100,000 ventilators sitting in warehouses around the
USA. New York State just shipped their excess ventilators to other
states. In other words, I would not invest in ventilator companies.

Warren Buffet just sold his airline stocks. Gook luck in following that
event.

And as far as people walking about, “More than 370 workers at a pork
plant in Missouri tested positive for coronavirus. All were asymptomatic”

https://us.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/triumph-foods-outbreak-missouri/index.html

“373 employees and contract workers at Triumph Foods in Buchanan County,
Missouri, have tested positive for coronavirus. All of them were
asymptomatic, according to a press release from the Missouri Department
of Health and Senior Services.”

If this is true, there is a bunch of Covid Mary’s and Covid Jim’s
walking around out there infecting the rest of us. If people do not
have symptoms, the only way to know is to test them. And this is not
the antibody test, this is the full blown test. We have only managed to
test 7 million in the USA so far, only 321 million to go. That won't be
happening for a year or two or five.

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 22:42:01 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
And...

And hear me out.

...we could tell people to distance themselves...

...and stay home from jobs that aren't absolutely essential...

...BECAUSE THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ASYMPTOMATIC AND SPREADING
THIS DISEASE.
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-05 08:34:18 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
/All/ of them were asymptomatic? Odd... Maybe there's a new
asymptomatic strain of the virus. In other words: a vaccine.

Or maybe pork produces false positive results, or else it's
a remedy...

Which presents a dilemma around the Hasidic Jewish funeral
issue...

Or, Triumph Foods wants you to /think/ they have a remedy,
and they cheated on the test...
Titus G
Coronavirus articles from the NYT are free so far. .
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:42:00 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
closer to 18 months
Post by Alan Baker
(assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
a bit less, in the US, about a million worldwide
he’s an ignoramus and is proud of it.
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:38:43 UTC
[...]
Lynn, m’man...

1 Hong Kong Flu was a relatively mild pandemic _in the United States_,
killing only a bit less than 100,000 (!) in the US, under 1/10th of the
worldwide total, and it took 18 months to do it. The current pandemic has
killed just short of 70,000 in the US in less than six months. Let me put
this another way: in less than one third of the time the current pandemic has
killed more than two-thirds of the total of the 1968 outbreak. At current
rates we’re looking at having death tolls in the US of more than double
those of 1968.

2 this is the _first wave_ of covid-19. One reason why Hong Kong Flu
spluttered out _in the US_ was that the second wave wasn’t serious _in the
US_; the second wave of the 1918 pandemic was very serious _in the US_. Are
you going to guarantee that the current pandemic will look more like 1968
than 1918? Really? Because you want to _go to the movies_?!

3 I remember the song ‘Hong Kong Flu’ getting lots of airplay.
https://www.jah-lyrics.com/song/ethiopians-hong-kong-flu

Quote:

It's a killer, whoa oh, aha
It's a killer, whoa oh, aha
It's terrible and dreadful, man
It's terrible and dreadful, man
You have to rub up, rub up with a langawata
Rub up, rub up with a langawata

It’s possible that agood ol’ boy from Texas isn’t a fan of reggae
music...

4 if you want to wander the globe, or even just Texas, I say onto you: go
right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near _me_. And if you catch something in
your travels, don’t expect sympathy, for you won’t get any.
Titus G
2020-05-04 21:18:36 UTC
snip
4 if you [Lynn McGuire] want to wander the globe, or even just
Texas, I say onto you: go right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near
_me_. And if you catch something in your travels, don’t expect
sympathy, for you won’t get any.
Given the McGuire family state of health as reported here, they will all
be straight to the morgue, (or the local mass grave), at the first whiff
of a Covid-19 sneeze.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-04 22:27:08 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
You do know that the population of the USA in 1968 was 200 million. In
fact, I quoted that from the article. The population today of the USA
is 328 million. The equivalent death rate from the Hong Kong Flu today
in the USA would be 164,000.

I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu tally sheet:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is number
one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the little arrows
next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14 in the list at 209
deaths / 1 million population. Discounting the smaller countries like
San Marino (number one), the countries Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK,
France, Sweden, and Ireland all have more deaths / 1 million population
than the USA. Belgium is 684 deaths / 1 million population to Ireland
at 267 deaths / 1 million population. Sweden never locked down and is
at 274 deaths / 1 million population with an older population than the USA.

What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I can
guess is western European and older populations. The fact that Sweden
never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not locked down,
would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 22:40:25 UTC
On 04 May 2020, Lynn McGuire wrote (in article
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
terrible and dreadful, man It's terrible and dreadful, man You have
to rub up, rub up with a langawata Rub up, rub up with a langawata
It’s possible that agood ol’ boy from Texas isn’t a fan of reggae
music...
4 if you want to wander the globe, or even just Texas, I say onto
you: go right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near _me_. And if you
catch something in your travels, don’t expect sympathy, for you
won’t get any.
You do know that the population of the USA in 1968 was 200 million.
In fact, I quoted that from the article. The population today of the
USA is 328 million. The equivalent death rate from the Hong Kong Flu
today in the USA would be 164,000.
Over EIGHTEEN MONTHS...

...which means you're STILL a fucking ignoramus.
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu tally
sheet: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is
number one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the
little arrows next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14 in
the list at 209 deaths / 1 million population. Discounting the
smaller countries like San Marino (number one), the countries
Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Sweden, and Ireland all have more
deaths / 1 million population than the USA. Belgium is 684 deaths /
1 million population to Ireland at 267 deaths / 1 million population.
Sweden never locked down and is at 274 deaths / 1 million population
with an older population than the USA.
Wow!

Congratulations!

You're 14th...

...on a list that includes a bunch of places that probably don't HAVE a
population of a single million.

Sweden has an actual constitutional limitation on what they were allowed
to do, you fucking moron.
Post by Lynn McGuire
What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I
can guess is western European and older populations. The fact that
Sweden never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not
locked down, would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?
The US would be much, much worse than it is right now, you fucking moron.

You being a moron was cute when it was about global warming and your
imagined right to fuck up the planet for grandchildren you probably
don't have.

Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Carl Fink
2020-05-05 00:03:52 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.

To kill Dorothy Heydt.

She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.

I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)

So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
--
Carl Fink ***@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com
-Kenne Estes
Wolffan
that’s it exactly.
Alan Baker
2020-05-05 01:05:06 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Yes.

Exactly.

I'm 58 myself.

I believe I have a robust immune system, but I'm hardly a medical
expert. I'm also blood type A (and male).

But honestly, I don't care so much about myself as I do about the people
I care about who are older than myself.

My step-dad will be 77 years old on September 6.

A golfing buddy of mine is 56, and he actually has it. So we're all
holding our breath.

I know a whole bunch of folks who want to be racing cars...

...but we're not, because the demographic skews heavily to older than I am.

But dangerous idiots like Lynn just want everything to go back to
"normal"...

...where their definition of "normal" includes a whole bunch of people
dying whom they all hope don't turn out to be people that matter to them.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of listening to their pious mouthings about
their "rights".
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-05 01:13:12 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
Only if it can catch me.
Post by Carl Fink
She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
Quite possibly.

(Hey, and I have COPD, too. The chronic-bronchitis kind, not the
emphysema kind, which is much worse.)

However, I have not gone outside the house since March 19, when
Governor Newsom put out the original stay-at-home order. And I
hadn't been outside much (except for church on Sunday) before that,
because it was cold out.
Post by Carl Fink
I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
I'm O-positive and female. Maybe it all balances out? In any
case, I'm not going outside till someone on the order of Dr.
Fauci, or my own primary-care doctor, tells me I can, never mind
what Trump or anybody else says.
Post by Carl Fink
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Well, Hal and I are both retired. Our son-in-law is working from
home. Our daughter is still going out to work (legal services
are deemed "essential"), but OTOH what Meg and her boss the lawyer
can do is limited by the fact that all the courthouses in the
Greater Bay Area have been closed since March so she doesn't have
to drive around from Redwood City to Martinez, or thereabouts, to
file papers. And the sanitation procedures they use when a
client comes in are admirable.

As to supporting the economy, we've decided we can support local
business by getting takeout for dinner every Friday (Meg buys it
on her way home) so that NEITHER MEG NOR I HAVE TO COOK.

This Friday will be Hal's and my 49th anniversary; Meg is talking
about getting takeout from Black Bear.

I suspect our chances of getting to our 50th are better than
those of some dumb teenager crowding onto the beach of getting to
Labor Day.
2020-05-05 04:00:56 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
[...]
Congrats on the 49th anniversary ! It is quite the accomplishment and a
good example for your kids and their kids.

My parents are at 60 years, I was born two weeks before their first
anniversary. The wife and I are at 38 years.

Some of the restaurants around here that closed are starting to reopen
now. I was concerned that they had all failed.

As to sanitation, my good friend is an electrical engineer. He
threatens anyone trying to come in his office with a Lysol spray shower.
My employees and I just try to stay away from each other. I just yell
across the building or send an email.

Lynn
Alan Baker
But, shockingly, not concerned at all that people might be dying.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-05 04:16:18 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
[...]
Yay for them, and you too!
Post by Lynn McGuire
Some of the restaurants around here that closed are starting to reopen
now. I was concerned that they had all failed.
Some of ours have closed, others offer takeout and/or delivery,
most only do takeout.
Post by Lynn McGuire
As to sanitation, my good friend is an electrical engineer. He
threatens anyone trying to come in his office with a Lysol spray shower.
My employees and I just try to stay away from each other. I just yell
across the building or send an email.
And I hope you're all conscientious about masks. My daughter
made herself one out of leftover Halloween fabric: at first
glance it looks like little orange pumpkins scattered across a
black background, ... and then you get a closer look, and they're
little orange skulls. :)
2020-05-05 05:54:55 UTC
And I hope you're all conscientious about masks. My daughter
made herself one out of leftover Halloween fabric: at first
glance it looks like little orange pumpkins scattered across a
black background, ... and then you get a closer look, and they're
little orange skulls. :)
I don't carry a handkerchief often. Even when I have a bad cold
I'd rather keep a box of facial tissue nearby, and a mini-pack of
the same in my pocket. When I do break one out, it's for sticking
in the pocket of my business suit, and I wear that rarely. The last
time was for a friend's funeral, back in the summer. I might use
one as a pocket square, following the old rubric, "one for showin'
and one for blowin'." Now, a few Christmases ago I received some
hankies as a gift. The things are 100% cotton, and massive: a foot
square, easy. Properly folded, they make a nice mask. A little
masking tape keeps them from unfolding, and a spare shoelace knotted
at the corner keeps it on my face. Toss them in the laundry when
they've done the job: wash, rinse, dry.

CVS is charging $1.99 per mask, limit 3. I'll let people who
_must_ go out buy those.

I would like to have one of the ones the fellow in the
passenger seat is sporting:

https://www.comics.org/issue/1151/cover/4/

Mike Axford of The Sentinel would probably blame those
interloping, bee-murdering Asian insects on "the Harnet!"

2020-05-05 13:04:03 UTC
[...]
I'm missing a reference here.
2020-05-05 14:02:02 UTC
[...]
Publisher Britt (the Green Hornet) Reid employed Axford as
a reporter, and the role was always played on radio with a
"stage Oirish" accent.

Have you heard of the Giant Hornets up in Washington State?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/05/asian-giant-hornets-arrive-united-states/

2020-05-05 16:08:38 UTC
[...]
So he would've pronounced "Hornet" as "Harnet?" I live in the
States, we don't hear much in the way of Irish accents around the
Bay Area, whether stage or genuine.
Post by Kevrob
Have you heard of the Giant Hornets up in Washington State?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/05/asian-giant-hornets-arrive-united-states/
Yes. Drat it. The last thing (well, one of the last things) we
need now is something *else* taking down the bee population.
2020-05-05 05:23:33 UTC
I suspect our chances of getting to our 50th are better than
those of some dumb teenager crowding onto the beach of getting to
Labor Day.
If there were justice in the world, perhaps.

But my understanding is that the dumb teenager will almost certainly get off
with nothing more than a bout of something a bit worse than the 'flu - and some
permanent lung damage, and perhaps discolored toes.

I count myself fortunate that I live in Canada - not in a country where, since
Republican-voting farmers are being inconvenienced, Democratic-voting meat
packing plant workers are being ordered back to work even if it kills them. (Had
Trump cared about their lives, he would have made efforts to get PPE for the
meat-packing plants *without* using the Defence Production Act to put any
pressure on the plants to re-open until it was clear it was safe to do so.)

2020-05-05 17:04:06 UTC
[...]
But ... but ... but ...

that would have required him to /think/

something that is clearly impossible.

And, anyway, if he did that, there'd be no way to make money on the
deal.
2020-05-05 20:32:29 UTC
I suspect our chances of getting to our 50th are better than
those of some dumb teenager crowding onto the beach of getting to
Labor Day.
If there were justice in the world, perhaps.
But my understanding is that the dumb teenager will almost certainly get off
with nothing more than a bout of something a bit worse than the 'flu - and some
permanent lung damage, and perhaps discolored toes.
Unless in a bout of drunken stupor he wraps his car around a tree.
Post by Quadibloc
I count myself fortunate that I live in Canada - not in a country where, since
Republican-voting farmers are being inconvenienced, Democratic-voting meat
packing plant workers are being ordered back to work even if it kills them.
Uh, Democratic and Republican-voting hungry people are also being
inconvenienced you know.
Post by Quadibloc
(Had
Trump cared about their lives, he would have made efforts to get PPE for the
meat-packing plants *without* using the Defence Production Act to put any
pressure on the plants to re-open until it was clear it was safe to do so.)
Is there any evidence that they don't already have PPE? These are not
tiny struggling mom-and-pop businesses you know.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-05 03:52:07 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Please remove me from this conversation. I do not wish that Dorothy or
anyone (you especially) dies. To say that I wish that Dorothy dies is a
false representation of me.

BTW, I am sorry that you have diabetes. Several of my relatives have
diabetes and are struggling with it. My uncle runs up into the 300+
range routinely and is very close to losing his vision. I will be 60
next month and am hoping that I do not get it. Not enough to lose 30 to
40 lbs though.

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-05 03:53:48 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
She's 77 and has diabetes.  If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
I am 58 and have diabetes.  If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave
danger,
not as bad as Dorothy.  (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Please remove me from this conversation.  I do not wish that Dorothy or
anyone (you especially) dies.  To say that I wish that Dorothy dies is a
false representation of me.
No one has claimed that you WISH it, asshole.

It's that you don't give a fuck what happens to her or (literally)
thousands of people...

...so long as your favourite restaurant reopens.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-05 04:11:52 UTC
BTW, I am sorry that you have diabetes. Several of my relatives have
diabetes and are struggling with it. My uncle runs up into the 300+
range routinely and is very close to losing his vision. I will be 60
next month and am hoping that I do not get it. Not enough to lose 30 to
40 lbs though.
Oh, dear, I hope your uncle is taking the best care of himself
that he can, and that he has a good endocrinologist. My sugars
run between 120s and 160s, and my endocrinologist says,
considering my age and weight, that's fine with her.

As for you, Lynn, consult your own doctor about a
low-carbohydrate diet. NOT, note, a ketosis diet, which can
(among other things) ruin your kidneys and/or kill you. But a
low-carb diet, like the South Beach Diet (which I've been on for
years) caused me to lose sixty pounds over two years. I'd like
to lose another twenty or so, but my endocrinologist says, "If
you were thirty-five or forty and wanted to get pregnant, I'd go
along with that, but as it is, you don't need to lose more
weight."

But I'd like to, just because ~160 poundds is a lot of weight to
carry around when one is old and weak.
2020-05-05 19:17:13 UTC
[...]
The wife and I did the South Beach diet about 16 years ago. I lost 40
lbs and she lost 30 lbs. I have regained 10 lbs and she (I am not going
there). At the end of our South Beach diet she was diagnosed with
breast cancer, stage 2b. That was a year of hell for her, five
surgeries and a year of chemo.

I am 6'1" and weigh 245 lbs. Dropping to 210 or so would be nice, that
is what I weighed in college but, I could bench press 330 lbs then and
squat 540 lbs. I am a pansy now. I did lift my mother and her
wheelchair the other day up eight inches over a door threshold, she
weighs about what you do. Her wheelchair weighs about 14 lbs, Dad got
her the lightweight so he can lift it in and out of the car trunk. But
it has small wheels.

Note to self: get a temporary ramp for the office and the house. Much
easier.

2020-05-05 19:50:12 UTC
[...]
Good plan. My daughter's planning to get me a lightweight,
folding wheelchair for the next time we have to go through an
airport (whenever that will be: she's praying to assorted gods for
Disneyland in November, which might or might not happen). I could
wish we could get a ramp for our front steps, but they're way too
steep. And there's no handrail; when I have to go up or down
them I have to clutch at the branches of the hedge.

I don't know if you've seen _Jumanji: The Next Level._ It's a
hoot. Danny deVito plays an elderly man recovering from a broken
hip, who keeps saying "Old age stinks, don't let anybody tell you
any different." But then he is transported into a video game
(cf. the previous film, _Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle_) and his
character has to be played by two different actors in sequence,
NYawk accent and all. (He coached them.) When they get back to
what we may as well call Real Life, he's changed his tune:
"Getting old is great!" After all, it beats the alternative.
As long as the 20 pounds you take off is fat and not muscle.
Quadibloc
2020-05-05 05:38:16 UTC
Please remove me from this conversation. I do not wish that Dorothy or
anyone (you especially) dies. To say that I wish that Dorothy dies is a
false representation of me.
Then why are you posting an article here that contains despicable falsehoods,
which, if people believe them, will lead to people like Dorothy dying?

Of course, there's an answer. You really don't believe the article is lying -
that the influenza of 1968 was not, remotely, as dangerous as the current novel
coronavirus.

Influenza... makes people sick, they recover in a few days, although _some_ of
the elderly and frail who get infected can die from it.

The novel coronavirus... makes people very sick, _most_ young and healthy
people, if they're not exposed to a large viral load (i.e. working in a hospital
without PPE) won't die from it; not just the elderly and frail, but any senior
citizen, anyone with a number of conditions, high blood pressure, Type II
diabetes, and so on, has a *large* chance of dying, from 25% on up.

That's why the current pandemic is _not_ comparable to what was happening in
1968, and, instead, precautions like those that were taken in 1918 for a more
potent strain of the flu are appropriate.

I am amazed that there are people trying to sow confusion about this, and make
it more difficult for elected officials across the United States to take
appropriate actions in response to this public health emergency.

Of course you don't want a United States that has been devastated by the deaths
of a significant proportion of its populations. One where those who are strongly
conservative and identified with support for Donald Trump will be specifically
singled out as being responsible for the tragedy, in which even the most
moderate and legitimate conservative ideas can no longer recieve a fair hearing.

But what you want, and what you're going to get, from a course of action that is
mistaken, accepted without proper thought, based on lies from people advancing
their self-interest instead of the objective facts, as best we know them from
qualified scientific and medical authorities... can be expected to differ.

I don't know what sort of insanity has overtaken the United States, and much of
the world, where what the scientific community says, first about global warming,
and now about the novel coronavirus, is not accepted as being almost as nearly
the truth as the evidence of one's own senses. But somehow pompous politicians
who clearly don't have most people's best interests at heart, have managed to
set themselves up as better authorities than the people who really know what
they're talking about.

2020-05-05 06:38:27 UTC
Please remove me from this conversation.
Once upon a time there was a parameter option to determine whether
usenet posts would be archived or not. Used by mainly the guilty.

I do not wish that Dorothy or
anyone (you especially) dies. To say that I wish that Dorothy dies is a
false representation of me.
Then why are you posting an article here that contains despicable falsehoods,
which, if people believe them, will lead to people like Dorothy dying?
Well questioned Mr. Quadibloc.
(Having said that, do I now have to seek psychiatric treatment or will
they automatically contact me?)
snip
Post by Quadibloc
I am amazed that there are people trying to sow confusion about this, and make
it more difficult for elected officials across the United States to take
appropriate actions in response to this public health emergency.
Hey! In the land of the free, people get to chose which Cola or burger
they want and even if they want fries with it but not if they want to
have an unhappy day. If I was an aggressive free person like some on
this forum I would tell you to FUCK OFF but I am not so I won't.
Post by Quadibloc
Of course you don't want a United States that has been devastated by the deaths
of a significant proportion of its populations.
As if that hasn't happened before. (Don't mention colour.)
Perhaps the remaining Zionist billionaires and their lackeys would be
generous enough to create reservations for the remaining paupers.

Post by Quadibloc
conservative and identified with support for Donald Trump will be specifically
singled out as being responsible for the tragedy, in which even the most
moderate and legitimate conservative ideas can no longer recieve a fair hearing.
I before E unless before V.:-)
Perhaps oligarchic advertisements of democracy with policies of freedom
and private ownership believe that each individual should own their own
virus and pay for its maintenance through insurance if employed without
government interference whereas more socialist governments including the
extremes of communism believe that government should deny individual
ownership of viruses.
Post by Quadibloc
But what you want, and what you're going to get, from a course of action that is
mistaken, accepted without proper thought, based on lies from people advancing
their self-interest instead of the objective facts, as best we know them from
qualified scientific and medical authorities... can be expected to differ.
Ha, ha, ha, ha. When has self-interest ever been relevant in the history
of anything?
Post by Quadibloc
I don't know what sort of insanity has overtaken the United States, and much of
the world, where what the scientific community says, first about global warming,
and now about the novel coronavirus, is not accepted as being almost as nearly
the truth as the evidence of one's own senses. But somehow pompous politicians
who clearly don't have most people's best interests at heart, have managed to
set themselves up as better authorities than the people who really know what
they're talking about.
Well, I haven't thought about it much but do you think this insanity
could possibly be a result of self-interest?
2020-05-05 20:53:02 UTC
Please remove me from this conversation. I do not wish that Dorothy or
anyone (you especially) dies. To say that I wish that Dorothy dies is a
false representation of me.
Then why are you posting an article here that contains despicable falsehoods,
which, if people believe them, will lead to people like Dorothy dying?
Of course, there's an answer. You really don't believe the article is lying -
that the influenza of 1968 was not, remotely, as dangerous as the current novel
coronavirus.
Influenza... makes people sick, they recover in a few days, although _some_ of
the elderly and frail who get infected can die from it.
Quadi, what assertion, exactly, are you questioning? It is a matter
of historical record that 100,000 people died of H3N1 in 1968-69.
Adjust for population and that works out to about 160,000 now.
Post by Quadibloc
The novel coronavirus... makes people very sick, _most_ young and healthy
people, if they're not exposed to a large viral load (i.e. working in a hospital
without PPE) won't die from it; not just the elderly and frail, but any senior
citizen, anyone with a number of conditions, high blood pressure, Type II
diabetes, and so on, has a *large* chance of dying, from 25% on up.
When it gets to 160,000 then your argument that it is "worse" than
H3N1 will have merit.
Post by Quadibloc
That's why the current pandemic is _not_ comparable to what was happening in
1968, and, instead, precautions like those that were taken in 1918 for a more
potent strain of the flu are appropriate.
In your opinion.
Post by Quadibloc
I am amazed that there are people trying to sow confusion about this, and make
it more difficult for elected officials across the United States to take
appropriate actions in response to this public health emergency.
The "elected officials" are enacting edicts and pretending that they
are laws and otherwise behaving like kings. This should be bothersome
to you, but you seem to belong to the "anything to keep us safe"
school.
Post by Quadibloc
Of course you don't want a United States that has been devastated by the deaths
of a significant proportion of its populations.
The worst case scenario involves less "devastation" than happens in
the ordinary course of events. The notion that so many people will
die that there will be a shortage of workers or consumers is blatant
fearmongering.
Post by Quadibloc
One where those who are strongly
conservative and identified with support for Donald Trump will be specifically
singled out as being responsible for the tragedy, in which even the most
moderate and legitimate conservative ideas can no longer recieve a fair hearing.
No conservative idea can get a fair hearing among liberals today, or
vice versa. This is a separate phenomenon from Trump-hatred. (Funny,
you're not allowed to hate anybody except the President)
Post by Quadibloc
But what you want, and what you're going to get, from a course of action that is
mistaken, accepted without proper thought, based on lies from people advancing
their self-interest instead of the objective facts, as best we know them from
qualified scientific and medical authorities... can be expected to differ.
Mostly what we're getting is the press trying to sell newspapers and
collect web clicks.
Post by Quadibloc
I don't know what sort of insanity has overtaken the United States, and much of
the world, where what the scientific community says, first about global warming,
and now about the novel coronavirus, is not accepted as being almost as nearly
the truth as the evidence of one's own senses.
You mean the "scientific community" that told us that there was an
"energy crisis" and that we were going to run out of oil and that we
had to go to all these drastic measures to "save energy"? _That_
"scientific community"? Why should anyone trust such people? And
don't tell me "science works". There is a difference between science
and the ravings of self-promoting charlatans in lab coats.
Post by Quadibloc
But somehow pompous politicians
who clearly don't have most people's best interests at heart, have managed to
set themselves up as better authorities than the people who really know what
they're talking about.
The politicians are paid to make the call. If you don't like their
call, vote them out. Of course that would mean having the courage to
get out of your little ivory tower or bunker or wherever it is that
you hide from humanity and relocate to the place whose laws you want
to change.
Quadibloc
2020-05-05 21:09:07 UTC
When it gets to 160,000 then your argument that it is "worse" than
H3N1 will have merit.
"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"... and you are using statistics in a
way that justifies Mark Twain's comment.

Of course annual flu epidemics kill a lot of people. Why is the current novel
coronavirus causing a panic, whereas flu is just routine? Because of who it
kills. If you have to be elderly and frail to die from it, as is the case for
the flu, it is not a serious threat (and we have flu vaccines now).

If being elderly, or having any of a large number of health problems, is enough
to make it likely to be fatal, and plenty of healthy young adults have died as
well... that is a different matter. And that's what the novel coronavirus is.

Because we've taken extreme measures to limit its spread, yes, the death toll is
limited to a number comparable with that from a flu outbreak... when no such
extreme measures were taken.

This should be obvious, and if it isn't obvious to you because of your political
agenda, that is your problem - and the problem of anyone silly enough to take
you seriously.

2020-05-05 21:26:23 UTC
When it gets to 160,000 then your argument that it is "worse" than
H3N1 will have merit.
"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"... and you are using statistics in a
way that justifies Mark Twain's comment.
Of course annual flu epidemics kill a lot of people.
"Annual flu epidemics" are not under discussion. A specific pandemic
is being discussed, the one in 1968, which killed more people
worldwide and in the US than COVID-19 has killed and the actions
taking in dealing with it.
Post by Quadibloc
Why is the current novel
coronavirus causing a panic, whereas flu is just routine?
Because the press is telling us to panic.
Post by Quadibloc
Because of who it
kills. If you have to be elderly and frail to die from it, as is the case for
the flu, it is not a serious threat (and we have flu vaccines now).
You don't have to be elderly and frail to die from the flu--it helps
but it is neither necessary or sufficient. And we are not talking
about flu now, we are talking about H3N1 in 1968, when there was no
vaccine.
Post by Quadibloc
If being elderly, or having any of a large number of health problems, is enough
to make it likely to be fatal, and plenty of healthy young adults have died as
well... that is a different matter. And that's what the novel coronavirus is.
Being elderly, or having any of a large number of health problems is
likely to be fatal regardless you know.

It is your assertion that "killing healthy young adults" makes it
"different". That is rather heartless of you you know, not to mention
ageist, dismissing the deaths of the elderly as being unimportant.
Post by Quadibloc
Because we've taken extreme measures to limit its spread, yes, the death toll is
limited to a number comparable with that from a flu outbreak... when no such
extreme measures were taken.
No, the number is, so far, much lower than from H3N1 in 1968. Not "a
flu oubreak", a specific, documented pandemic.
Post by Quadibloc
This should be obvious, and if it isn't obvious to you because of your political
agenda, that is your problem - and the problem of anyone silly enough to take
you seriously.
What is obvious to me is that you are dodging the point. You keep
going back to "a flu oubreak" and not the 1968 H3N1 pandemic.

As for "political agendas", anyone who wants to create an underclass
of "vat girls" so he can have a hope of finding a woman desperate
enough to have sex with him shouldn't talk about "political agendas".
Wolffan
2020-05-05 01:01:32 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I
can guess is western European and older populations. The fact that
Sweden never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not
locked down, would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?
The US would be much, much worse than it is right now, you fucking moron.
You being a moron was cute when it was about global warming and your
imagined right to fuck up the planet for grandchildren you probably
don't have.
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
the truly frightening things are:

1 he thinks that killing off fellow citizens is okay

2 he is not alone
no, if only he and those who think like him were the ones affected, I’d say
‘carry on’ and get popcorn. the thing is, he’s going to take a lot of
others with him.
o***@gmail.com
You see like such a lovely person.
Alan Baker

I'm just very tired of suffering fools.
o***@gmail.com
Then crawl back under your bed and STFU
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-05 20:38:57 UTC
Businesses are being murdered (not simply dying, but murdered by political BS) nationwide.....which will lead to more deaths (quietly, individually, unspoken of by the media) than by C19.

For those just starting out, and others, that were living paycheck to paycheck, this fiasco has been disastrous. Small business, the center of our economy, is being "dictated" out of business....viz: Michigan

They are in a hole of the Government's making. They may eventually get out, but they will still be years behind where they could have been if this had just been treated as new flu variation. (note: "treated as" not "thought of as")

(refer to 100,000 flu deaths in 1968, while nobody noticed and Woodstock was happening)

The same groups of people -- today, as then -- would have been at high risk of dying and the rest would get sick, feel like shit for a couple of weeks, and then got back to work.

All of this was unnecessary, as far is the disease was concerned -- there are other, political, reasons to cause a panic: Kill the economy, and blame the
President.

When Trump tried to say that it wasn't the end of the world he, his views were shat upon hourly by the Left and the MSM. The heartless bastard wanted people to die!

For the nationwide shutdown to work - everyone needed to be afraid......
"If you or a loved one get it - it is a death sentence!" "We project over a million dead."
What a crock, but, at least for awhile, most people believed it.

Now, the truth is coming out. However, many are still scared....
"You are willing to risk people's lives for the national survival ?"

My answer -- as an 81 yr old guy, quad bypass survivor, COPD suffer, who goes dancing, fishing, hunting, hiking -- is.........

HELL YES.......AREN'T YOU ??
o***@gmail.com
HELL YES.......AREN'T YOU ??
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-05 20:47:00 UTC
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 3:38:59 PM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:

....a reasoned rant, by a pissed off old guy, who is watching his nation get flushed away by chicken littles.....

Just wanted to note.....

I re-reading, it sounds like a C&P.

It isn't

It is the conclusion reached by watching media from across the spectrum, being a retired (thank the FSM) public health officer, and observing that the whiners are totally fukkking up MY nation my kids, g-kids, and g-g-kids have come to enjoy, while prospering.

I wrote it......and stand by it.
Quadibloc
2020-05-05 20:57:04 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
When Trump tried to say that it wasn't the end of the world
It isn't the end of the world. The 1918 flu pandemic wasn't the end of the world,
and this one isn't _quite_ as bad as that.

But it is very serious, and Trump doesn't seem to realize that. This isn't
"political BS". This is what responsible scientific and medical authorities are
saying.

The comparison with the 1968 flu is dishonest as well as misleading.

National survival does not have to be an issue. If the spread can be *stopped*,
it wouldn't take more than about two weeks before the country could re-open. The
problem is that as long as some places only take half-measures, the disease
keeps spreading instead.

2020-05-05 20:52:36 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
Then crawl back under your bed and STFU
Excuse me. Killing people right now is *exactly* what the vicious deliberate lies
about the coronavirus pandemic from the "American Institute of Economic Research"
is doing.

John Savard
Wolffan

you should not be allowed out without a keeper.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-05 04:01:01 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Have a good life.

Goodbye.

Lynn
Alan Baker
You have full-blown asshole.
Titus G
2020-05-05 04:09:09 UTC
snip

Earlier this month, this group appeared to conclude that population
density was the major factor in spread and consequent death from
Covid-19. If this was the case with the Hong Kong 'Flu, then the hippie
movement wouldn't have lasted so long. OK, for the serious people, the
population density at Woodstock would have exceeded that of Manhattan on
a fine day resulting in many deaths but this was obviously not the case.
Last night after tea I ate an apple. It tasted nothing like something
different.
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu
tally sheet: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is
number one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the
little arrows next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14
in the list at 209 deaths / 1 million population.
Reported deaths from the USA have already been found to be deliberately
initially ignored and later understated and still so. I see that New
York is reported as having at least over 1200 deaths per million but
Wyoming and a couple of others only 12.
Ignoring any other factors and admitting a foreigner's geography deficit
whilst using DimMcWire logic, obviously the pandemic policies of the
country that Wyoming is in are far superior to the policies of the
country that New York is in.
Paul S Person
2020-05-05 17:10:07 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu
tally sheet: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is
number one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the
little arrows next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14
in the list at 209 deaths / 1 million population.
Reported deaths from the USA have already been found to be deliberately
initially ignored and later understated and still so. I see that New
York is reported as having at least over 1200 deaths per million but
Wyoming and a couple of others only 12.
Ignoring any other factors and admitting a foreigner's geography deficit
whilst using DimMcWire logic, obviously the pandemic policies of the
country that Wyoming is in are far superior to the policies of the
country that New York is in.
Wyoming is mostly open space. And cattle.

Hard for anything to spread when people are so spread out.

But, give it time. At one time, there was only /one/ death from
Covid-19 in Washington State. Now, there have been many more.
2020-05-05 17:32:20 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Wyoming is mostly open space. And cattle.
Where half the population lives in one municipal area or another. Tragically
for Wyoming, land doesn't catch c19, humans do, and humans tend to clump.
2020-05-05 19:50:07 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Wyoming is mostly open space. And cattle.
Where half the population lives in one municipal area or another. Tragically
for Wyoming, land doesn't catch c19, humans do, and humans tend to clump.
There you go, bringing facts and reality into a political discussion.
*Hrmph*
<to be filled in at a later date>
Titus G
2020-05-05 21:11:27 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
a***@yahoo.com
2020-05-05 11:47:41 UTC
That's also one of the few things I remember from 1968. My father would have a radio that he would play while shaving and we heard about the Kennedy assassination the next morning. They closed all the schools ( we lived in Massachusetts then. I was 8)
Quadibloc
2020-05-05 20:59:13 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
That's also one of the few things I remember from 1968. My father would have a
radio that he would play while shaving and we heard about the Kennedy
assassination the next morning.

Oh, you mean the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy.

The Kennedy assassination took place five years earlier, on November 22, 1963.

2020-05-05 21:29:18 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@yahoo.com
That's also one of the few things I remember from 1968. My father would have a
radio that he would play while shaving and we heard about the Kennedy
assassination the next morning.
Oh, you mean the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy.
The Kennedy assassination took place five years earlier, on November 22, 1963.
A Kennedy assassination took place 5 years earlier. He is talking
about a different Kennedy assassination from that one. And given your
insistence on making assertions about generic flu outbreaks in a
discussion of the 1968 H3N1 outbreak, you shouldn't be upset when
someone refers to one of the several Kennedy assassinations as "the
Kennedy assassination".