Dilbert: Upgrading a Server
2020-05-16 19:56:45 UTC
Dilbert: Upgrading a Server
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-16

Oh yeah, living with Dogbert is an adventure every day.

2020-05-16 21:37:17 UTC
Dilbert: Upgrading a Server
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-16
Oh yeah, living with Dogbert is an adventure every day.
Lynn
And it's a real-life scenario. We have lost two development servers
since this mess started, and nobody wants to go in and reboot them.
Gary R. Schmidt
2020-05-17 03:09:54 UTC
Dilbert: Upgrading a Server
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-16
Oh yeah, living with Dogbert is an adventure every day.
Lynn
And it's a real-life scenario. We have lost two development servers
since this mess started, and nobody wants to go in and reboot them.
That's pretty bloody useless then. I've been into the data-centre three
times since lock-down started here in Oz, admittedly in the evening so
there's fewer bodies there anyway, and just used hand-sanitiser on the
way in and out. The last time they also checked my temperature :-)

Some people just can't think outside the box.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...
m***@sky.com
(Before the pandemic) I shut down a server twenty miles away I intended to restart. Fortunately, when I confessed my error, I was told that it was fitted for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Integrated_Lights-Out and so could be powered on remotely. Mind you, if the server room is deserted most of the time, one visit seems less risky than a visit to the supermarket for groceries.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-17 06:47:06 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Dilbert: Upgrading a Server
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-16
Oh yeah, living with Dogbert is an adventure every day.
Lynn
And it's a real-life scenario. We have lost two development servers
since this mess started, and nobody wants to go in and reboot them.
(Before the pandemic) I shut down a server twenty miles away I intended
to restart. Fortunately, when I confessed my error, I was told that it
was fitted for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Integrated_Lights-Out
and so could be powered on remotely. Mind you, if the server room is
deserted most of the time, one visit seems less risky than a visit to
the supermarket for groceries.
Yeah. Well, it's not an issue for me because I'm way remote from the
office (states away), but apparently that area was/is in tight lock-down and
you needed a permission slip to be on the road and not at a store, and then
the company had issues with getting your badge authorized to go in again etc.
Plus of course it's one thing to take a trivial risk for your family or
your happiness and another to take it for the company.
2020-05-17 10:41:08 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
I was just reading about an art gallery that has
a robot which goes round on your behalf. I think
a gallery employee is driving it, and it doesn't
have hands - it's the "iPad on a scooter" type.
<https://www.hastingscontemporary.org/exhibition/robot-tours/>

So not as helpful in the data centre as the "golem"
in Roger Zelazny's _A Dark Traveling_, or The Robot
in _Lost In Space_.
J. Clarke
2020-05-17 13:59:15 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
These servers are in a badge-authorized facility but there's nobody
there to cycle power when one goes down? That sounds improbable.
Figuring out who to call is another story.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-17 17:57:28 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
Well, one is in the office area from what I understand, and they
speculate facilities turned it off when the guy whose cube it is
in quit. The other I'm unclear on where it is, but it apparently
had some kind of upgrade issue and is not recognizing anyone's login
even though it is "up". Will probably take some root access time
to sort that out and apparently nobody has remote console access.
2020-05-17 18:07:41 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
If it's in an office area facilities should be able to turn it back
on. Our facilities will do that for us and they do still have people
on site. If it's an upgrade issue not much can be done about that
remotely unless you have fairly high end servers that have an
independent console built in.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-17 18:13:23 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
One would think. But it's been a week now, and I presume the boss has
been talking to people.
Post by J. Clarke
on site. If it's an upgrade issue not much can be done about that
remotely unless you have fairly high end servers that have an
independent console built in.
Yeah. We have root access as developers (when the server is working
properly) , but not remote console, if anyone does. Again, I presume
some sort of request has been made, but so far nothing has happened, which
it would have in normal times.
2020-05-17 18:18:30 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
Is this a union shop?