[Big Hair, Big Guns!] Wild Cards (Wild Cards, Volume 1) edited by George R. R. Martin
2019-05-07 13:39:13 UTC
Wild Cards (Wild Cards, book 1) edited by George R. R. Martin

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nobody-loves-the-hulk
2019-05-07 19:30:59 UTC
Wild Cards (Wild Cards, book 1) edited by George R. R. Martin
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/nobody-loves-the-hulk
I read the second, _Aces High_, which seems to have kept in mind the idea that "every book in a multi-volume series may be a reader's first." Got the first later, and it avoided the trap of merely being a prequel, setting up what I'd already read. Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history had a few moments of being forced.
-Jack
Ahasuerus
2019-05-07 19:50:32 UTC
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 3:31:02 PM UTC-4, Jack Bohn wrote:
[snip]
Post by Jack Bohn
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the United
States.
Jack Bohn
2019-05-08 12:56:02 UTC
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 3:31:02 PM UTC-4, Jack Bohn wrote:
[snip]
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the United
States.
It was Jimmy Carter who broke me. (Leave that, NSA can puzzle it out.) The first volume was a survey of the first forty years of the wild card virus. Has it been an upheaval a year (or book) since then? Has there been any other historical anthologies?
-Jack
Kevrob
2019-05-08 13:31:04 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jack Bohn
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the United
States.
Parallel world "Nixon" might wind up stuffed in a "fridge," though.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus OR

https://tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus

resolving to:

https://books.google.com/books?id=bNQjCvWeLuUC&pg=PA182&dq=tricky+dick+milhaus&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi99c6d_oviAhVtkeAKHcg8AtkQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=tricky%20dick%20milhaus&f=false

Since Nixon nearly won in 1960, and was a popular vote plurality
winner in 1968, again with a margin of less than 1%, he's a
plausible candidate on whom to hang a Jonbar hinge. RMN can
also be sworn in as early as 1955 if Ike dies from his heart attack.

2019-05-08 13:56:33 UTC
https://preview.tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus OR
https://tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus
https://books.google.com/books?id=bNQjCvWeLuUC&pg=PA182&dq=tricky+dick+milhaus&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi99c6d_oviAhVtkeAKHcg8AtkQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=tricky%20dick%20milhaus&f=false
There's a misprint in the book quoted, or a scanno,
that leaves the middle "s" out of a proper name:
Wasserschranken.

Properly spelled, it adds to the joke, for me.

Kevin R
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 15:51:39 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jack Bohn
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the United
States.
Parallel world "Nixon" might wind up stuffed in a "fridge," though.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus OR
https://tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus
https://books.google.com/books?id=bNQjCvWeLuUC&pg=PA182&dq=tricky+dick+milhaus&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi99c6d_oviAhVtkeAKHcg8AtkQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=tricky%20dick%20milhaus&f=false
[snip]

IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.

"Swift fly the years", to use another quote.
Kevrob
2019-05-08 16:14:12 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Kevrob
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jack Bohn
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the United
States.
Parallel world "Nixon" might wind up stuffed in a "fridge," though.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus OR
https://tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus
https://books.google.com/books?id=bNQjCvWeLuUC&pg=PA182&dq=tricky+dick+milhaus&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi99c6d_oviAhVtkeAKHcg8AtkQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=tricky%20dick%20milhaus&f=false
[snip]
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
Thanks for the spelling correction!
Post by Ahasuerus
"Swift fly the years", to use another quote.
Nitpick: The "Fiddler" lyric is
"Swiftly fly the years...."

Kevin R
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 16:39:14 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Kevrob
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jack Bohn
Although the correspondence of Wild Card history to our history
had a few moments of being forced.
I don't recall who said it first, but it's a well-known rule of
alt.history that even if the point of divergence is the survival
of dinosaurs, Richard Nixon is still elected president of the
United States.
Parallel world "Nixon" might wind up stuffed in a "fridge," though.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus OR
https://tinyurl.com/Tricky-Dick-Milhaus
https://books.google.com/books?id=bNQjCvWeLuUC&pg=PA182&dq=tricky+dick+milhaus&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi99c6d_oviAhVtkeAKHcg8AtkQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=tricky%20dick%20milhaus&f=false
[snip]
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
Thanks for the spelling correction!
You are welcome. Spelling corrections are my bread and butter.
(Metaphorically speaking since ISFDB contributors do not get paid.)
Post by Kevrob
Post by Ahasuerus
"Swift fly the years", to use another quote.
Nitpick: The "Fiddler" lyric is
"Swiftly fly the years...."
I'll see your "Fiddler on the Roof" (1964) and raise you Alexander
Pope's "Messiah" (1712):

"Swift fly the years, and rise th’ expected morn!"
https://www.bartleby.com/203/40.html
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-08 16:56:35 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Kevrob
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Ahasuerus
"Swift fly the years", to use another quote.
Nitpick: The "Fiddler" lyric is
"Swiftly fly the years...."
Nitpick: I think Ahasuerus was quoting, not _Fiddler,_ but
Horace, whose line was _Eheu, fugaces, Postume, Postume, labuntur
anni,_ "Alas, Postumus, Postumus, the swift years slip away."

And _fugaces_ is an adjective, not an adverb, and therefore
modifies _anni," "years," and not _labuntur,_ "slip away."

So Ahasuerus translated the Latin correctly, if not into standard
English.

Here's an essay on that line, and Horace generally.

http://ianchadwick.com/blog/eheu-fugaces-postume/
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 18:11:49 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Kevrob
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Ahasuerus
"Swift fly the years", to use another quote.
Nitpick: The "Fiddler" lyric is
"Swiftly fly the years...."
Nitpick: I think Ahasuerus was quoting, not _Fiddler,_ but
Horace, whose line was _Eheu, fugaces, Postume, Postume, labuntur
anni,_ "Alas, Postumus, Postumus, the swift years slip away."
And _fugaces_ is an adjective, not an adverb, and therefore
modifies _anni," "years," and not _labuntur,_ "slip away."
So Ahasuerus translated the Latin correctly, if not into standard
English. [snip]
I am afraid I was merely quoting Pope who toyed with it back in
1712 -- see https://www.bartleby.com/203/40.html
Kevrob
2019-05-08 16:30:03 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
This thread?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sf$20about$20Richard$20Nixon/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/dgF3NVVx8t0J

Ahasuerus ~= Wandering Jew?

Kevin R
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 16:48:46 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
This thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sf$20about$20Richard$20Nixon/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/dgF3NVVx8t0J
Ahasuerus ~= Wandering Jew?
Yup --
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/vsYK6noKuBMJ ,
to be more nearly precise. My signature used to read "Ahasuerus
the Wandering Jew" in part because of all the wandering that I was
doing at the time. The "wandering" phase ended over a decade ago, so
the appellation no longer applies.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-08 16:57:22 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
This thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sf$20about$20Richard$20Nixon/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/dgF3NVVx8t0J
Ahasuerus ~= Wandering Jew?
He's been using that handle on USENET ever since I can remember.
Whether his claim is valid or tongue-in-cheek, you won't learn
from me.
2019-05-08 18:08:41 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
This thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sf$20about$20Richard$20Nixon/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/dgF3NVVx8t0J
Ahasuerus ~= Wandering Jew?
He's been using that handle on USENET ever since I can remember.
Whether his claim is valid or tongue-in-cheek, you won't learn
from me.
"Surely you can't be Ahasuerus?"
Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 19:45:05 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
IIRC, the "Tricky Dick Milhous" quote was my first Usenet post
some 25+ years ago.
This thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sf$20about$20Richard$20Nixon/rec.arts.sf.written/7vxpEHFAuuk/dgF3NVVx8t0J
Ahasuerus ~= Wandering Jew?
He's been using that handle on USENET ever since I can remember.
Whether his claim is valid or tongue-in-cheek, you won't learn
from me.
There are different versions of the legend of the Wandering Jew. Most
of them are elaborations on the words that Jesus supposedly said on
his way to Golgotha:

"Ahasuerus, tarry till I come!"
("Ahasuerus" by Robert Tyler, son of President John Tyler, 1842,
praised by Poe the same year. It's not clear whether Poe's
contemporaneous attempts to get Tyler to help him secure a government
job played a role -- see
https://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2017/10/30/poes-washington-excursion)

I am not in a position to confirm or deny that some of these versions
are closer to the truth than others. Having said that, I do have my
favorites. For example:

Ahasuerus: Magician, darken not my path! The road is before thee. Go
thy way!

Christ: Why hast thou said it, O Ahasuerus? It is thou who shalt walk
during more than a thousand years -- even until the Last Judgment. Take
thy sandals and thy pilgrim garb. Wherever thou mayest journey, men
call thee The Wandering Jew. It is thou who shalt find no place of rest,
no mountain-source to quench thy thirst. In my stead thou shalt bear
the burden I am about to leave upon the cross. For thy thirst, thou
shalt drink the dregs that will be left in the bottom of my chalice.
Others will take my tunic, but thou shalt inherit my eternal sorrow.
... As for me, I go to Golgotha, but thou shalt wander on from ruin to
ruin, from kingdom to kingdom, unable to attain thy Calvary. ...
The portal of the city shall say to thee: "Further yet, my bench is
occupied!" When thou wouldst rest by the side of the river, it shall
cry out: "Further yet, further yet, ever unto the sea; my shores for
thee are thickset with thorns!" And the sea also shall exclaim:
"Further yet, further yet! Art thou not that eternal pilgrim, who
wanders ever from people to people, from age to age, drinking the
cup of tears, sleeping neither by night nor day and who yet cannot
choose but pursue his onward path."
("Ahasverus", Edgar Quinet, 1833, English translation in _Chamber's
Journal of Popular Literature, Science and Arts_ by William and
Robert Chambers, 1854, p. 392)

Quinet's interpretation, which came close to asserting that the
Wandering Jew was the personification of the human race after the
Crucifixion, was controversial at the time, but it had its merits.

In any case, I stopped Wandering over 10 years ago and have been
spending my retirement editing the ISFDB. The world hasn't ended --
so far -- but it remains to be seen whether there will be further
eschatological ramifications.