[tor dot com] Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
2018-11-08 15:13:26 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else

https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Garrett Wollman
2018-11-08 16:35:03 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Another two for the files: Diane Duane's THE DOOR INTO SHADOW and THE
DOOR INTO SUNSET.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Garrett Wollman
2018-11-08 20:38:10 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Another two for the files: Diane Duane's THE DOOR INTO SHADOW and THE
DOOR INTO SUNSET.
Also, Lackey's WINDS OF FURY (if I'm correctly remembering the order
of the titles in that trilogy).

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-11-09 00:35:05 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Another two for the files: Diane Duane's THE DOOR INTO SHADOW and THE
DOOR INTO SUNSET.
Also, Lackey's WINDS OF FURY (if I'm correctly remembering the order
of the titles in that trilogy).
By the time I got to this thread and really read it, looks like all the
examples I can think of offhand were taken. Well, there's The Ophidian
Conspiracy, where the protagonist takes an alien brain-tape (due to
sabotage) which leaves him with a lot of alien personality overlays for
a while.

In my own Arenaverse, the character Oasis is actually two personalities
sharing one body -- K, one of the Hyperions, and the original Oasis, who
was nearly killed by one of the Hyperion AIs and the only choice K had
to rescue her was to take her personality into K's body.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Lynn McGuire
2018-11-08 17:04:23 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
I've read two of the seven books mentioned here. As usual, I've got a
couple more on the tip of my tongue that I cannot remember at the moment.

Except for Robert Heinlein's controversial _I Will Fear No Evil_.

2018-11-08 17:24:22 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
I've read two of the seven books mentioned here. As usual, I've got a
couple more on the tip of my tongue that I cannot remember at the moment.
Except for Robert Heinlein's controversial _I Will Fear No Evil_.
Lynn
Off the top of my head:

Brian M. Stableford's "Grainger" books.
Poul Anderson's _Operation Chaos_
Anything Liaden about Daav & Aelliana over a 30 year or so period
Larry Niven _World of Ptavvs_
2018-11-08 18:49:54 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
I've read two of the seven books mentioned here. As usual, I've got a
couple more on the tip of my tongue that I cannot remember at the moment.
Except for Robert Heinlein's controversial _I Will Fear No Evil_.
Lynn
Brian M. Stableford's "Grainger" books.
Poul Anderson's _Operation Chaos_
Anything Liaden about Daav & Aelliana over a 30 year or so period
Larry Niven _World of Ptavvs_
Yes, the "Anything Liaden about Daav & Aelliana over a 30 year or so
period" was the one in the back of my mind.

Thanks,
2018-11-08 18:51:31 UTC
Aside from Robert Heinlein's "I Will Fear no Evil", already mentioned, this article didn't mention the two most obvious examples that came to my mind:

Frederic Pohl's "Black Star Rising" - admittedly, here it's more of a minor plot point, as it's taking place within a non-viewpoint character;

and the short story - I'll see if I can find this one, possibly by van Vogt... Earthman attacked by alien from flying saucer who tries to take him over mentally; defeats the alien, but allows him to live on within his brain along with several other defeated beings, tagline at the end that there's enough room for everyone this way - ah, no, Google's not enough help, I'll let this be a YASID.

John Savard
Butch Malahide
2018-11-09 02:25:54 UTC
Frederic Pohl's "Black Star Rising" - admittedly, here it's more of a minor plot point, as it's taking place within a non-viewpoint character;
and the short story - I'll see if I can find this one, possibly by van Vogt... Earthman attacked by alien from flying saucer who tries to take him over mentally; defeats the alien, but allows him to live on within his brain along with several other defeated beings, tagline at the end that there's enough room for everyone this way - ah, no, Google's not enough help, I'll let this be a YASID.
John Savard
"Dawn Invader" by Robert Sheckley.

https://archive.org/details/Fantasy_Science_Fiction_v012n03_1957-03_PDF/page/n51
Quadibloc
2018-11-09 03:40:19 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
"Dawn Invader" by Robert Sheckley.
Thank you!

John Savard
Default User
2018-11-08 19:35:15 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With
Somebody Else
Hamilton's Night's Dawn series, mostly not sharing but replacement by
the ghosts of the dead. In one case a guy gets his dead wife's ghost
and they share.

Brian
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-08 20:46:50 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
Hamilton's Night's Dawn series, mostly not sharing but replacement by
the ghosts of the dead. In one case a guy gets his dead wife's ghost
and they share.
James White's Sector General series. Outdated concepts "Human
females are too dainty to mindshare!"), but still good. And a
hell of a [spoiler] in the penultimate volume.
Not just human females. As with the Lensman series somehow the difference between male and female was more important than the difference between entire species
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-09 01:47:50 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
Hamilton's Night's Dawn series, mostly not sharing but replacement by
the ghosts of the dead. In one case a guy gets his dead wife's ghost
and they share.
James White's Sector General series. Outdated concepts "Human
females are too dainty to mindshare!"), but still good. And a
hell of a [spoiler] in the penultimate volume.
Not just human females. As with the Lensman series somehow the
difference between male and female was more important than the
difference between entire species
Except [spoiler] .... :)
2018-11-09 02:40:23 UTC
The final book in the Mercedes Lackey Secret World Chronicle had quite a lot of mind sharing in it whether it was magically using using humans as mules for the disembodied intelligences of Tesla and Marconi to that weird shapeshifter merge thing.
2018-11-09 03:05:11 UTC
In the Ancillary series, implants are used to allow AIs to take over
the brains of captured enemies to create the eponymous ancillaries.

This effectively destroys the original personality completely, although
a doctor Breq meets early on claims that it's not, and could possibly
be recovered. Breq points out that it would be at the expense of her
current personality, so no thanks.

{spolier space]

Later on, the "Lord of the Radch" uses the implants designed for
controlling her own many clones (similar to ancillary implants) to take
over a young lieutenant. When this is later reversed, a new person
results, who has some memories of both the "tyrant" and the original,
but who is neither. And doesn't feel very good about the situation.

Brian
Greg Goss
2018-11-11 06:00:53 UTC
Post by Default User
In the Ancillary series, implants are used to allow AIs to take over
the brains of captured enemies to create the eponymous ancillaries.
"take over" is different than "sharing"

If we expand the thread to cover "taking over" you include the first
half of A World Out of Time, where our viewpoint character is
imprinted onto a convicted criminal. If he doesn't work out, they can
imprint someone else.
2018-11-11 23:33:47 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Default User
In the Ancillary series, implants are used to allow AIs to take over
the brains of captured enemies to create the eponymous ancillaries.
"take over" is different than "sharing"
If we expand the thread to cover "taking over" you include the first
half of A World Out of Time, where our viewpoint character is
imprinted onto a convicted criminal. If he doesn't work out, they can
imprint someone else.
You managed to delete the examples that I included that could fit the
topic.

Brian
D B Davis
2018-11-09 14:19:31 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Ralf Marten belongs to _Perry Rhodan_'s mutant corps. Marten's mind
can lock in on another beings' visual and aural faculties. Unbeknownst
to his host, Marten can see out of his host's eyes and hear out of his
host's ears.
_The Devil in Crystal_ (Marlow, 1944) has James "Tidders"
Tidburnholme go to bed one war torn London night in 1943 only to awaken
on June 19 1922 back in his June 19 1922 residence with his younger
body. For reasons unknown, Tidders' 1943 mind traveled back in time to
its earlier body and circumstances.
Although Tidders' mental occupation of his former self somewhat
resembles that of Pard in _Healer_, Tidders' 1922 mind is completely
suppressed by his 1943 mind. Despite the suppression, Tidders' 1922 body
retains a historical motor memory inertia that tends to do things the
same way that it did them the first time around. It resists any change,
however slight. At least at first, Tidders' 1943 mind struggles mightily
in vain to alter even a single syllable that was originally uttered back
in 1922. At first, his 1943 mind's simply along for the ride.
"12:01 PM" (Lupoff) and later, _Replay_ (Grimwood), sort of share
the same vibe as _The Devil in Crystal_, except in these two stories the
protagonists' minds repeatedly travel back to their younger bodies over
and over again. Also, after their minds travel back to the past their
time traveling minds enjoy complete freedom to do things differently
without any historic motor memory inertia to tug them back into the
original groove.

Don
Chris Buckley
2018-11-09 16:20:46 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
One set of stories not mentioned is the book _Five Fates_.

Five authors were given a one page prologue where the main character is
stretched out on a slab in a euthanasia center, having just been given an
injection. The authors had to continue the story from there.

Five very different continuations. The Laumer and the Dickson didn't
involve sharing brain space, but I think the Anderson, Ellison, and
Herbert all did, to some very different extents.

Chris
Kevrob
2018-11-09 16:25:36 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
One set of stories not mentioned is the book _Five Fates_.
Five authors were given a one page prologue where the main character is
stretched out on a slab in a euthanasia center, having just been given an
injection. The authors had to continue the story from there.
Five very different continuations. The Laumer and the Dickson didn't
involve sharing brain space, but I think the Anderson, Ellison, and
Herbert all did, to some very different extents.
If we stretch things, could we include one of my favorites,
Dick Geis' "pal," Alter Ego?

Kevin R
p. pinto
2018-11-10 14:16:16 UTC
- hi; "pal" ? "" pal" ?" ?"

- does *any*one lock a feeling, sentient and rational - well, rationalising -
creature of a distinct, distinguished and admirably clearly tim kirk-depicted
form in the files-cellar, holding him/her°/it captive and requiring s/he/it
to read and review any and everything new or reissued after some considerable
elapse of time sent to geis, n.b., not to alter, for review, who is a "pal" ?

- dick geis deserved to serve time in the dungeon dimensions for so abusing
alter.

- love, ppint.

° - a little unlikely, perhaps - but as r. e. g.'s *alter* ego. . .
"decadence, n; the finest flowering of civilization"
Kevrob
2018-11-10 19:51:22 UTC
Post by p. pinto
- hi; "pal" ? "" pal" ?" ?"
- does *any*one lock a feeling, sentient and rational - well, rationalising -
creature of a distinct, distinguished and admirably clearly tim kirk-depicted
form in the files-cellar, holding him/her°/it captive and requiring s/he/it
to read and review any and everything new or reissued after some considerable
elapse of time sent to geis, n.b., not to alter, for review, who is a "pal" ?
- dick geis deserved to serve time in the dungeon dimensions for so abusing
alter.
- love, ppint.
° - a little unlikely, perhaps - but as r. e. g.'s *alter* ego. . .
--
"decadence, n; the finest flowering of civilization"
I think you've p.put your p.phinger on why I used "scare quotes." :)

Kevin R
lal_truckee
2018-11-09 16:52:05 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
I don't see mention of Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams.
Incredible, both the story and Incredible that it's not the first work
mentioned in this thread.
Chris Buckley
2018-11-10 00:34:14 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
I don't see mention of Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams.
Incredible, both the story and Incredible that it's not the first work
mentioned in this thread.
Yes, it's an extremely good story, close to being in my top 10, but I
wasn't sure it fit the category. It's much more partitioning your own mind,
and then sharing the brain space among your various independent partitions.

Chris
David DeLaney
2018-11-17 13:32:54 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
I don't see mention of Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams.
Incredible, both the story and Incredible that it's not the first work
mentioned in this thread.
If you read the article, make sure to read the comments also.

I particularly like the two-word comment that just said "Quick Ben".

Dave, and then there's the book I recently read who had somewhat-altered folks
who could attain quantum entanglement with their surroundings by entering a
state where there was NOBODY in their head - the entity residing was not a
conscious one, for the duration. A philosophical zombie!
2018-11-17 17:08:33 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by lal_truckee
I don't see mention of Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams.
Incredible, both the story and Incredible that it's not the first work
mentioned in this thread.
If you read the article, make sure to read the comments also.
I particularly like the two-word comment that just said "Quick Ben".
Dave, and then there's the book I recently read who had somewhat-altered folks
who could attain quantum entanglement with their surroundings by entering a
state where there was NOBODY in their head - the entity residing was not a
conscious one, for the duration. A philosophical zombie!
Is there any more to "Quick Ben?" Or are we supposed to guess?
An empty mind seems like a worthy science fictional prop. It also
ought to keep scientific observation unbiased, provided that an empty
mind can be used at all.
SF's zombies may come closest to depicting the empty mind. It's my
layman's understanding that, in addition to involuntary actions, motor
memory animates zombies.
There's also comas. If general anesthesia's a "controlled coma" then
my own mind was indeed empty (and useless) when they put me under a
general to insert a pin into my left tibia (not the fibula erroneously
mentioned by me in an earlier post) right below my knee.
Another tangentially pertinent story comes to mind this morning:
"Johnny Mnemonic" (Gibson). Johnny needs a password to get program code
out of his mind.

Don
William Hyde
2018-11-17 22:32:14 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by David DeLaney
Post by lal_truckee
I don't see mention of Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams.
Incredible, both the story and Incredible that it's not the first work
mentioned in this thread.
If you read the article, make sure to read the comments also.
I particularly like the two-word comment that just said "Quick Ben".
Dave, and then there's the book I recently read who had somewhat-altered folks
who could attain quantum entanglement with their surroundings by entering a
state where there was NOBODY in their head - the entity residing was not a
conscious one, for the duration. A philosophical zombie!
Is there any more to "Quick Ben?" Or are we supposed to guess?
Quick Ben is a recurring character in Erickson's Malazan series.

He shows up at the start, as a suspiciously over-talented battle mage with the Malazan army, but we don't get his backstory for a few thousand more pages. It's complicated. Even for Malazan.

William Hyde

Butch Malahide
2018-11-10 06:22:02 UTC
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Has no one mentioned "Correspondence Course" by Raymond F. Jones?

https://archive.org/details/Astounding_v35n02_1945-04_dtsg0318-LennyS_mod-color/page/n59
D B Davis
2018-11-10 23:19:05 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by James Nicoll
Get Out of My Head: SFF Stories About Sharing Brain-Space With Somebody Else
https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/get-out-of-my-head-sff-stories-about-sharing-brain-space-with-somebody-else/
Has no one mentioned "Correspondence Course" by Raymond F. Jones?
https://archive.org/details/Astounding_v35n02_1945-04_dtsg0318-LennyS_mod-color/page/n59
This story's almost the Cliff Notes version of the Steven Dalt and Pard
mind meld in _Healer_ (Wilson). The illustration of the "meeting of
minds" is entertaining.
The narrative about Jim Ward's cane reminds me of _Smiley's People_
(le Carré). Right before his assassination, a General Vladimir leaves an
X-marks-the-spot behind in the the dirt when he changes his walking
stick (and its stick marks in the dirt) from his /right/ side to his
/left/ side. (Vlad's found dead with the stick in his left hand.)

Don
Greg Goss
2018-11-11 06:10:06 UTC
Post by D B Davis
This story's almost the Cliff Notes version of the Steven Dalt and Pard
mind meld in _Healer_ (Wilson). The illustration of the "meeting of
minds" is entertaining.
Now that you mention the "mind meld" phrase, we remember stashing
Spock into Kirk while the woowoo of the next movie reconstitutes his
body.
2018-11-11 06:23:46 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by D B Davis
This story's almost the Cliff Notes version of the Steven Dalt and Pard
mind meld in _Healer_ (Wilson). The illustration of the "meeting of
minds" is entertaining.
Now that you mention the "mind meld" phrase, we remember stashing
Spock into Kirk while the woowoo of the next movie reconstitutes his
body.
Only if Spock had a beard in your universe..
2018-11-11 14:59:22 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by D B Davis
This story's almost the Cliff Notes version of the Steven Dalt and Pard
mind meld in _Healer_ (Wilson). The illustration of the "meeting of
minds" is entertaining.
Now that you mention the "mind meld" phrase, we remember stashing
Spock into Kirk while the woowoo of the next movie reconstitutes his
body.
Um, into McCoy, IIRC.
2018-11-11 23:44:02 UTC
"The Game and Rat and Dragon" by Cordwainer Smith features humans
sharing with cats.

Brian
David Duffy
2018-11-12 23:01:46 UTC
Post by Default User
"The Game and Rat and Dragon" by Cordwainer Smith features humans
sharing with cats.
_Engine Summer_