_Hominids_ by Robert J. Sawyer
2018-12-29 20:53:49 UTC
_Hominids_ by Robert J. Sawyer

https://www.amazon.com/Hominids-Neanderthal-Parallax-Robert-Sawyer/dp/0765345005/

Book number one of a three book fantasy trilogy, the Neanderthal
Parallax Series. I read the well formatted, printed, and bound MMPB
published by TOR in 2003. I have purchased the other two books in the
series and am reading the second book now. BTW, this book won the Hugo
Award for Best Novel in 2003. The book was in my SBR (strategic book
reserve) since 2012.

Basically, the book postulates that there are many universes. A new
universe is created when a fork in a path is taken differently. In our
universe, Homo Sapiens survived and flourished. In another universe,
Homo Neanderthal survived and flourished. So, what happens when a
pathway is created between the two universes using quantum physics ?

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 3.7 out of 5 stars (200 reviews)

Lynn
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 00:15:15 UTC
_Hominids_ by Robert J. Sawyer
https://www.amazon.com/Hominids-Neanderthal-Parallax-Robert-Sawye
r/dp/0765345005/
Book number one of a three book fantasy trilogy, the Neanderthal
Parallax Series. I read the well formatted, printed, and bound
MMPB published by TOR in 2003. I have purchased the other two
books in the series and am reading the second book now. BTW,
this book won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2003. The book
was in my SBR (strategic book reserve) since 2012.
Basically, the book postulates that there are many universes. A
new universe is created when a fork in a path is taken
differently. In our universe, Homo Sapiens survived and
flourished. In another universe, Homo Neanderthal survived and
flourished. So, what happens when a pathway is created between
the two universes using quantum physics ?
That particular book (the first of the series), when it was being
serialized in Analog (I think it was) was the reason I stopped
renewing my subscription. Perhaps it got better later one; I only
made it through the first one or two parts, but it looked like the
only real thing it had to say is that all human men are mean ol'
rapists, all human women are poor, oppressed victims, and if only
Neadertals had survived, it would be all better.

Bleh.

2018-12-30 05:24:11 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Huh. I was going to say, based on the few details that it souunded
like a case for Brion Bayard, but in the event, I guess not.

I admit that while I still subscribe, I haven't actually read "Analog" since
the late 80s as I tapered off of short fiction. If it has gone "that way",
that surprises me as I figured it would be the least likely of the batch.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 20:41:12 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I *like* short foction. I've yet to miss an issue of Galsxy's Edge
(though they're tending to the left these days, too, but not as
consistently). Hominids wasn't the reason, just the last straw.
Analog had been getting more and more interested in leftist
propaganda and less and less in science fiction for some time at
that point. Hominids was just when I realized that's _all_ they had
any more.

m***@sky.com
2018-12-30 05:49:57 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I think I read this as a second hand book and enjoyed it but didn't feel impressed enough to track down the sequels. It didn't come over as preachy as you describe. In particular, the Neanderthal society couldn't handle anything like the population density that we have, I think because the Neanderthal males weren't so much non-violent as forced to restrain all violence because any fight would be very serious.

Curiously, the political correctness of Neanderthal and its use as a jibe is now extremely complicated, because it turns out that those of us who, as Wikipedia delicately puts it "live outside Africa", carry genes derived from breeding with Neanderthals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_genetics#Interbreeding_with_modern_humans). So if you are a white supremacist you have to go from sneering at blacks for being Neanderthals to asserting that your Neanderthal-derived genes make you genetically superior.
J. Clarke
2018-12-30 06:37:25 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The Neanderthals in those books weren't peaceful because "Neanderthals
are nice", they were peaceful because the penalty for most crimes was
spaying or neutering everybody with 50% genetic commonality wiht the
criminal.
Lynn McGuire
2018-12-30 18:06:41 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates that with
their immense upper body strength, they could kill another adult male
with a single blow. Much less a woman or a child. The men and the
women had resolved their issues over the years by living in separate
communities.

And in fact, the two Neanderthal males who created the quantum computer
had been in a fight twenty years earlier. One male was baiting the
other male and that male hit him in the face, breaking his jaw in two
places and breaking many of his teeth. The first male had to have hisd
jaw fixed and many of his teeth replaced. The second male underwent
counseling for anger management.

Plus, no personal privacy in the Neanderthal society. Every person from
birth had an implant that recorded everything that went on around them.
Including all violent acts by them and upon on them. The recordings
could be viewed by anyone with a search warrant. Or, if a person was
charged with a crime, their current recordings would be monitored.

Lynn
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 20:46:59 UTC
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 12:15:17 AM UTC, Ninapenda
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more
asshole."
[...]
Sounds more and more like a fascist liberal utopia.

This only confirms that I made the right choice in the first place.
It isn't often than an entire fictional society can invoke the
Eight Deadly Words, but it happens.

p***@hotmail.com
2019-01-12 04:07:05 UTC
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 12:06:46 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
.
Post by Lynn McGuire
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates that with
their immense upper body strength, they could kill another adult male
with a single blow. Much less a woman or a child. The men and the
women had resolved their issues over the years by living in separate
communities.
It seems strange that their strength would not also be manifested in
defensive ability. Chimpanzees also have immense upper body strength,
and they have violent interactions with each other, but the
observations I recall reading of adult male chimpanzees being killed
by other chimpanzees involve multiple assailants.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Ninapenda Jibini
2019-01-12 06:25:25 UTC
wrote: .
Post by Lynn McGuire
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates
that with their immense upper body strength, they could kill
another adult male with a single blow. Much less a woman or a
child. The men and the women had resolved their issues over
the years by living in separate communities.
It seems strange that their strength would not also be
manifested in defensive ability. Chimpanzees also have immense
upper body strength, and they have violent interactions with
each other, but the observations I recall reading of adult male
chimpanzees being killed by other chimpanzees involve multiple
assailants.
But, while those researchers might have had an agenda, they were
pretending to not be writing fiction.

The more I hear about these books, the more convinced I made the
right choice.

2019-01-12 14:35:52 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
.
Post by Lynn McGuire
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates that with
their immense upper body strength, they could kill another adult male
with a single blow. Much less a woman or a child. The men and the
women had resolved their issues over the years by living in separate
communities.
It seems strange that their strength would not also be manifested in
defensive ability. Chimpanzees also have immense upper body strength,
and they have violent interactions with each other, but the
observations I recall reading of adult male chimpanzees being killed
by other chimpanzees involve multiple assailants.
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Do animals punch? Even chimpanzees? I have heard rumour
of kangaroos boxing... and hares.

One human male can kill another with a single blow.
So don't upset him.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-01-12 19:02:59 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
.
Post by Lynn McGuire
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates that with
their immense upper body strength, they could kill another adult male
with a single blow. Much less a woman or a child. The men and the
women had resolved their issues over the years by living in separate
communities.
It seems strange that their strength would not also be manifested in
defensive ability. Chimpanzees also have immense upper body strength,
and they have violent interactions with each other, but the
observations I recall reading of adult male chimpanzees being killed
by other chimpanzees involve multiple assailants.
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Do animals punch? Even chimpanzees? I have heard rumour
of kangaroos boxing... and hares.
One human male can kill another with a single blow.
Seven, if he be a tailor.
p***@hotmail.com
2019-01-13 20:25:33 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
.
Post by Lynn McGuire
And the Neanderthals were not peaceful. The author postulates that with
their immense upper body strength, they could kill another adult male
with a single blow. Much less a woman or a child. The men and the
women had resolved their issues over the years by living in separate
communities.
It seems strange that their strength would not also be manifested in
defensive ability. Chimpanzees also have immense upper body strength,
and they have violent interactions with each other, but the
observations I recall reading of adult male chimpanzees being killed
by other chimpanzees involve multiple assailants.
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Do animals punch? Even chimpanzees? I have heard rumour
of kangaroos boxing... and hares.
Non-human animals employ a wide variety of impact techniques when
fighting or hunting, including punching, kicking, stomping, head
butting, tail strikes, trunk strikes, wing strikes, and ramming.
Some techniques, such as front paw strikes by bears and felines
and talon strikes by birds of prey, combine impact with slashing
and piercing.

From what I've read and seen in videos kangaroos fighting other
kangaroos primarily use their fore-limbs to grapple and hold their
opponent in place so as to kick them, often supporting their own
weight on their tail in so doing. I have seen one kangaroo struck
by their opponent's fore paw in what might appear to be a punch,
but it was also consistent with inadvertent contact during an
attempted grapple during the very fast action. In any event it
was not decisive and did not interfere with the continuing
grappling and kicking.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 20:45:20 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The beginning chapters sounded different. If that had been made
clear earlier on, I probably would have given up even sooner, give
how fucking stupid that is.

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 20:44:20 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
As I said, it could easily have gotten better, but I didn't make it
very far in.
In particular, the
Neanderthal society couldn't handle anything like the population
density that we have, I think because the Neanderthal males
weren't so much non-violent as forced to restrain all violence
because any fight would be very serious.
That's just another way of showing how inherently superior they
are. It's not like any high-tech society is any different, as any
news program these days can show.
Curiously, the political correctness of Neanderthal and its use
as a jibe is now extremely complicated, because it turns out
that those of us who, as Wikipedia delicately puts it "live
outside Africa", carry genes derived from breeding with
Neanderthals
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_genetics#Interbreeding
_with_modern_humans). So if you are a white supremacist you have
to go from sneering at blacks for being Neanderthals to
asserting that your Neanderthal-derived genes make you
genetically superior.
I've long maintained that pretty much any form of racism is
irrefutable proof of mental retardation, but that's a whole
different conversation. (And by "conversation," I mean screaming,
foam-at-the-mouth shitfest on all sides.)

2018-12-30 21:48:46 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
"But at least they would be communicating!"
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-31 02:18:57 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I suppose threats of violence that one is too lazy, cowardly and
immature to actually act on is a form of communication, sure.

2018-12-31 04:40:53 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
There's a reason its in quotes. :P
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-31 04:56:32 UTC
?
[...]
Indeed. But have you communicated that reason?

2018-12-31 06:14:37 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
So the messenger doesn't get shot.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-31 07:02:41 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by m***@sky.com
[...]
The night is young. There's still time.

2018-12-30 04:24:29 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
So a Neanderthal would probably award it 5 out of 5 stars even without
the presence of an EMP event affecting Houston?
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-30 20:47:39 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I have no idea what you're talking about, but if it's insulting to
liberal moonbats, I agree.

2018-12-30 21:49:49 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Titus G
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Reference to Lynn's preferred story type.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-12-31 02:19:42 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Titus G
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'm pretty sure prepper revenge porn meets my criteria.

Johnny1A
The trouble with Sawyer is that he combines a talent for creating interesting concepts and premises with a remarkable ability to bog the outcome down in weird, unbelievable sociology and psychology, on the level of college all-night BS sessions at the bar by a bunch of liberal-leaning students. I ran into this headlong in the first Sawyer book I ever read, _Starplex_, and it seems to run through everything he writes.
Lynn McGuire
2019-02-13 18:20:08 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I've never read _Starplex_. Should I ?
https://www.amazon.com/Starplex-Robert-Sawyer/dp/0889954445/

Lynn
Steve Dodds
2019-02-13 22:21:19 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Starplex is Baxters weakest book, read Frameshift, Factoring Humanity or
Calculating God.
Lynn McGuire
2019-02-14 00:01:44 UTC
Post by Steve Dodds
Post by Johnny1A
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I really liked _Calculating God_ and _Flash Forward_. I have _Red
Planet Blues_ in my SBR.

Bummer, _Factoring Humanity_ seems to be out of print.

2019-02-14 02:35:18 UTC
Post by Steve Dodds
Post by Johnny1A
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I think Robert Sawyer would deny being Stephen Baxter,
if that's who you meant. I hesitate to take his word
because I want to be more sure than that that a book
I'm going to read is not by Stephen Baxter.

So, did the title "Starplex" cause mental indigestion?