[tor dot com] Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
2019-07-05 17:19:53 UTC
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
2019-07-05 17:29:12 UTC
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
<https://www.fourmilab.ch/bombcalc/brico.html>
Johnny1A
2019-07-07 07:05:34 UTC
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
"For the record, I find complaining that the inexorable passage of time has transformed fandom or other realities as ludicrous as assessing people by their preferences in slide rules"

It's not so much complaining about change, which is of course inevitable, but debating whether a change is for the better or for the worse, and if the later, what to do about it if anything.
Juho Julkunen
2019-07-07 16:36:01 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by James Nicoll
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
"For the record, I find complaining that the inexorable passage of time has transformed fandom or other realities as ludicrous as assessing people by their preferences in slide rules"
It's not so much complaining about change, which is of course inevitable, but debating whether a change is for the better or for the worse, and if the later, what to do about it if anything.
That sounds a lot like complaining about change.

Which is, of course, inevitable.
Juho Julkunen
Kevrob
2019-07-08 22:12:24 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Johnny1A
Post by James Nicoll
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
"For the record, I find complaining that the inexorable passage of time has transformed fandom or other realities as ludicrous as assessing people by their preferences in slide rules"
Is judging people by their slide rule choice what geeks did
before they could throw shade over choices of OP systems, browsers,
gaming platforms, e-readers, mobile phonnes, etc.? :)
2019-07-08 23:11:44 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by James Nicoll
Slide Rules and Nuclear Apocalypse
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/05/slide-rules-and-nuclear-apocalypse/
"For the record, I find complaining that the inexorable passage of time has transformed fandom or other realities as ludicrous as assessing people by their preferences in slide rules"
Is judging people by their slide rule choice what geeks did
before they could throw shade over choices of OP systems, browsers,
gaming platforms, e-readers, mobile phonnes, etc.? :)
The echoes of the Pocket Protector Schism still reverberate thru
geekdom. The Hippie Geeks decision to go "bare pocket" still provokes
slide rule duels between elder geeks.
2019-07-08 23:19:30 UTC
Is judging people by their slide rule choice what geeks did
before they could throw shade over choices of OP systems, browsers,
gaming platforms, e-readers, mobile phonnes, etc.? :)
Well, there were fancier and plainer slide rules.

The high-end slide rules in usual practice were the double side ones that had
both a set of log-log scales for quantities greater than 1 and a set of log-log
scales for quantities less than 1.

Below that were slide rules of the "Darmstadt" type, where only the slider had
scales on both sides, and there was only one set of log-log scales.

People who didn't do advanced work used the plain slide rules without log-log
scales.

2019-07-10 01:55:27 UTC
Is judging people by their slide rule choice what geeks did
before they could throw shade over choices of OP systems, browsers,
gaming platforms, e-readers, mobile phonnes, etc.? :)
Well, there were fancier and plainer slide rules.
The high-end slide rules in usual practice were the double side ones that had
both a set of log-log scales for quantities greater than 1 and a set of log-log
scales for quantities less than 1.
Below that were slide rules of the "Darmstadt" type, where only the slider had
scales on both sides, and there was only one set of log-log scales.
People who didn't do advanced work used the plain slide rules without log-log
scales.
And that's not even MENTIONING the circular ones, or how many scales a
particular side had (it was in no way limited to two).

Dave, or nomogram preferences
2019-07-10 03:16:27 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
scales for quantities less than 1.
Below that were slide rules of the "Darmstadt" type, where only the slider had
scales on both sides, and there was only one set of log-log scales.
People who didn't do advanced work used the plain slide rules without log-log
scales.
And that's not even MENTIONING the circular ones, or how many scales a
particular side had (it was in no way limited to two).
In a "slide rule fight," were the circular ones thrown,
like shuriken? :)

2019-07-10 06:00:29 UTC
In a "slide rule fight," were the circular ones thrown,
like shuriken? :)
Not hardly! Such slide rules were treasured!

2019-07-10 05:57:34 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
scales for quantities less than 1.
Below that were slide rules of the "Darmstadt" type, where only the slider had
scales on both sides, and there was only one set of log-log scales.
People who didn't do advanced work used the plain slide rules without log-log
scales.
And that's not even MENTIONING the circular ones, or how many scales a
particular side had (it was in no way limited to two).
I have more details here:

http://www.quadibloc.com/slrint.htm

And I had a program that made slide rules in encapsulated PostScript, which are available from this site, including circular ones:

https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/build.html

John Savard
Harold Hill
2019-07-10 15:21:59 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
And that's not even MENTIONING the circular ones, or how many scales a
particular side had (it was in no way limited to two).
Nor the even less common helical rules. (Why yes, I have both a model K and model L Otis King.)
-Harold Hill
Quadibloc
2019-07-10 16:07:44 UTC
Post by Harold Hill
Post by David DeLaney
And that's not even MENTIONING the circular ones, or how many scales a
particular side had (it was in no way limited to two).
Nor the even less common helical rules. (Why yes, I have both a model K and model L Otis King.)
And then there's the other kind of cylindrical slide rule, like the Thatcher or the Loga...