[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] The Dramaturges of Yan by John Brunner
2019-06-09 12:37:05 UTC
The Dramaturges of Yan by John Brunner

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/thank-you-for-the-music
2019-06-09 15:11:40 UTC
The Dramaturges of Yan by John Brunner
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/thank-you-for-the-music
Given your description of the novel, I can think of only one way to save it.

The natives of Yan need to outwit that pesky investigator from Earth, who seeks
to frustrate the restoration of their destiny. And after that's accomplished, it
also needs to be resolved that Earth was being wicked and paranoid, and the
apotheosisized Yan race is a peaceful partner of, and benefactor to, the human
race, not a threat to it, heaven forfend!

That way, the story can be "about something", about the struggle for freedom,
rather than being simply a horror thriller about an investigator from Earth
averting a nameless ancient horror.

John Savard
William Hyde
2019-06-09 20:01:34 UTC
The Dramaturges of Yan by John Brunner
You took your chances with Brunner in those days. He was hit or miss, but the hits were great while the misses were not terrible. I read this when it came out, but as so often when a book didn't really grab me, I forgot everything about it except the title. Which I rather liked.

William Hyde