Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
2019-11-29 16:29:10 UTC
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.

Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/

Among a great many other things, it mentions Sad Puppies and Mad Dogs in
passing. It tosses out "SJW Hugboxes" as if everyone knows what /that/
means. Apparently there's also the notion of "snowflake hugboxes."

Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?

A movie clip with this caption makes me laugh, even though the movie's
never been seen by me:

The Force Awakens makes so much more sense when you realize
it's about fanboys...

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Leif Roar Moldskred
2019-11-29 17:25:10 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
It's a similar concept as "echo-chamber" but rather than amplifying
and exaggerating opinions it amplifies and exaggerates group identity
and approval.

Basically, a group of people telling each other how good and noble
they are.
--
Leif Roar Moldskred
Who's very good and noble indeed!
D B Davis
2019-11-29 18:01:21 UTC
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by D B Davis
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
It's a similar concept as "echo-chamber" but rather than amplifying
and exaggerating opinions it amplifies and exaggerates group identity
and approval.
Basically, a group of people telling each other how good and noble
they are.
Given the definition provided by you and Peter, "hugbox" now seems as
derisively distasteful to me as "snowflake." Either word causes me to
cringe on sight.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2019-11-29 18:22:15 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by D B Davis
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
It's a similar concept as "echo-chamber" but rather than amplifying
and exaggerating opinions it amplifies and exaggerates group identity
and approval.
Basically, a group of people telling each other how good and noble
they are.
Given the definition provided by you and Peter, "hugbox" now seems as
derisively distasteful to me as "snowflake." Either word causes me to
cringe on sight.
The origin is apparently a device used to calm autistic people, which
makes its use as an insult even more egregious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

pt
Juho Julkunen
2019-11-29 18:43:39 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by D B Davis
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
It's a similar concept as "echo-chamber" but rather than amplifying
and exaggerating opinions it amplifies and exaggerates group identity
and approval.
Basically, a group of people telling each other how good and noble
they are.
Given the definition provided by you and Peter, "hugbox" now seems as
derisively distasteful to me as "snowflake." Either word causes me to
cringe on sight.
As well they should.
Juho Julkunen
Peter Trei
2019-11-29 17:25:48 UTC
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
Among a great many other things, it mentions Sad Puppies and Mad Dogs in
passing. It tosses out "SJW Hugboxes" as if everyone knows what /that/
means. Apparently there's also the notion of "snowflake hugboxes."
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
A movie clip with this caption makes me laugh, even though the movie's
The Force Awakens makes so much more sense when you realize
it's about fanboys...
Term is new to me too. I think we call them (in this context) 'internet echo chambers'.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox

Pt
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-29 19:18:29 UTC
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
Among a great many other things, it mentions Sad Puppies and Mad Dogs in
passing. It tosses out "SJW Hugboxes" as if everyone knows what /that/
means. Apparently there's also the notion of "snowflake hugboxes."
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
Animal behavior scientist Temple Grandin saw a "squeeze chute" used to
restrain cattle for inoculations and noted that it seemed to have a
calming effect on them. She adapted the concept into a device for humans
which has been used successfully by her and others for many years. Her
device is commonly known as a "hug machine" or "hugbox". It would seem
that this term has been extended to refer to any environment that an
individual finds to be calming.

Dr. Grandin's development of the hug machine is depicted in the
biographical movie _Temple Grandin_, which I have seen and recommend.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-29 19:31:18 UTC
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
Among a great many other things, it mentions Sad Puppies and Mad Dogs in
passing. It tosses out "SJW Hugboxes" as if everyone knows what /that/
means. Apparently there's also the notion of "snowflake hugboxes."
Can anyone define a "hugbox" for me?
A movie clip with this caption makes me laugh, even though the movie's
The Force Awakens makes so much more sense when you realize
it's about fanboys...
Hmph.

I play an online game. It's Lord of the Rings Online. Maybe the
content self-selects players who don't behave like jerks? (N.B.
I do see some complaints about jerks on the forums, but they're
relatively rare.) Most of my characters are female. Nobody
calls me on it.

Way back in the late 1990s, with Turbine's first game, _Asheron's
Call,_ I did occasionally get asked, "Are you a girl in RL?" and
I would answer, "Well, at 65 [or whatever age I was that year],
hardly a girl, but I'm female, and you know what the response
was?

"Wow! You're OLD and you're playing an online game! That is so
cool!"
2019-11-29 20:28:19 UTC
Way back in the late 1990s, with Turbine's first game, _Asheron's
Call,_ I did occasionally get asked, "Are you a girl in RL?" and
I would answer, "Well, at 65 [or whatever age I was that year],
hardly a girl, but I'm female, and you know what the response
was?
"Wow! You're OLD and you're playing an online game! That is so
cool!"
Well, it _was_. I'm not quite where you were then, and a guy, but
I don't bother with gaming. But it actually is cool for older folks
to play, and research shows that, for at least some kinds of online games,
good for their brains:

[quote]

They found that the majority of older and highly practiced players were
able to match or exceed the performance of younger users who had not played
very much. Any lead seniors had, though, significantly declined after the 21-
to 30-year-olds had completed more than 10 practice sessions.

[/quote]

https://neurosciencenews.com/online-games-cognitive-youth-14744/

I don't know if LoTRO would qualify, but it would not surprise me
if it did. It's be a nice rebuttal to all the "it'll rot your brain"
comments I've heard from mundanes ever since I picked up my first comic
book! :)

Nice attitude that young fellow had, though.

Kevin R
a.a #2310
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-29 23:53:52 UTC
[...]
Considering all the math players have to run through,
particularly in tabletop games, it's not surprising that players'
brains don't rot. (Unless they also do drugs, which generally
they don't because ... it would hose their math skillz.)
Post by Kevrob
Nice attitude that young fellow had, though.
Yes. I was very pleased.

The only time I ever had trouble with a fellow AC player was as
follows.

I was on duty as an Advocate (volunteer online help desk,
answering /tells and giving advice to players; the service was
discontinued in year 2). If I didn't know the answer to a
question, I could talk to other Advocates on a private channel
to see if they knew. If somebody started causing actual trouble,
I could put out a call to a Sentinel, who could come in cloaked,
observe the situation, and deal with it (up to and including
barring the perp from the game).

For coding reasons I won't go into, the same character could not
be an Advocate and also a PK (=Player Killer, one enabled to PvP).
So on the one all-PK world, Darktide, there were no Advocates, no
way of calling a Sentinel.

That's why, one day when I was on Advocate duty, a brand-new
character came out of the newbie instance, calling himself (no
kidding) Jeffrey Dahmer. He walked up to me and started
"hitting" me with a staff. This didn't, of course, hurt me any.
I tried talking to him, but he wouldn't talk, just kept waving
his stick at me. So I called for a Sentinel.

Sentinel showed up, talked to the guy; turned out he was having
problems with somebody on Darktide, couldn't call a Sentinel from
there, so he made a character on a non-PK world. So far, so
good. But why in @#*1 (to quote Puck) he didn't just *ask* me to
call a Sentinel, I've never known. The Sentinel packed him off
to the little Sentinel's room (a one-landblock instance from
which the player could not port away nor log out) and talked to
him, and I guess eventually went to Darktide and dealt with the
problem.

That's *one*, over the space of seven or eight years.
Moriarty
2019-12-01 21:09:06 UTC
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
I had something similar a few years ago. I had the guys around for our weekly game and my teenage daughter brought a friend home. Her friend was heard to say "Your dad plays dungeons and dragons? That is so cool!"

Back when I was at school, "I play D&D" was a euphemism for "please beat me up".

-Moriarty
Dan Swartzendruber
2019-12-02 10:15:13 UTC
Post by Moriarty
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
I do recall D&D being treated as a loser's thing when I was younger. My
younger daughter was introducted to this by her boyfriend several years
ago, and they still play (and we exchange anecdotes...)
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-30 07:43:25 UTC
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
Your topic line brings to mind a story:

A science geek applied for a job as a technician at an archeological
laboratory. The lab director asked him, "Have you done any carbon dating?"

He replied, "Certainly. In fact, now that you mention it, ALL of my dates
have been with carbon-based life forms."

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
D B Davis
2019-11-30 13:22:47 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
A science geek applied for a job as a technician at an archeological
laboratory. The lab director asked him, "Have you done any carbon dating?"
He replied, "Certainly. In fact, now that you mention it, ALL of my dates
have been with carbon-based life forms."
Q. What did one carbon-14 say to the other?
A. Where half you been all my life?

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Juho Julkunen
2019-11-30 16:42:26 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by D B Davis
This interesting article popped up in one of my searches. Its author and
website are completely unknown to me. This is not an endorsement of
either by me.
Geek Behaviors That Drive Women Away
https://www.doctornerdlove.com/geek-behaviors-that-turn-women-off/
A science geek applied for a job as a technician at an archeological
laboratory. The lab director asked him, "Have you done any carbon dating?"
He replied, "Certainly. In fact, now that you mention it, ALL of my dates
have been with carbon-based life forms."
Sure, there's always room for some carbon dating.

https://www.winterwolves.com/c14dating.htm

But not everybody swings that way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/379980/Panzermadels_Tank_Dating_Simu
lator/

https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/12/japanese-man-spends-over-13k-on-
wedding-to-marry-virtual-teen-idol-hatsune-miku/
Juho Julkunen
J. Clarke
Note that he is one of 37000 to marry Hatsune Miku.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-30 17:45:31 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by D B Davis
[...]
He better watch out, she's probably carrying several computer
viruses by now.
Juho Julkunen
2019-11-30 19:00:34 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, jclarke.873638
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by D B Davis
[...]
That's one zero too many; according to the article it's just 3700.

The article is a year old, of course, but I'm not going to hunt for an
updated figure.
Juho Julkunen
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-30 21:45:58 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by D B Davis
[...]
For people. especially men, to fall in love with an image, for example
the Mona Lisa or Betty Crocker, is a known psychological phenomenon;
I believe it has been given a name. I read about this in connection
with a 1993 _Time_ magazine cover, which had a computer generated
image of a woman with the same racial mixture as the average American:

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19931118,00.html

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
k***@outlook.com
2019-12-02 04:45:33 UTC
Ms Average is whiter than I expected. In the army I met a gal who was what old sci-fi predicted, the "golden race" brought about by easy world travel mixing us all together; black american, japanese, oh I forget what else. She exhibited hybrid vigour.
p***@hotmail.com
2019-12-02 16:51:32 UTC
For people. especially men, to fall in love with an image, for example
the Mona Lisa or Betty Crocker, is a known psychological phenomenon;
I believe it has been given a name. I read about this in connection
with a 1993 _Time_ magazine cover, which had a computer generated
image of a woman with the same racial mixture as the average American:

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19931118,00.html
Ms Average is whiter than I expected. In the army I met a gal who was what old >sci-fi predicted, the "golden race" brought about by easy world travel mixing >us all together; black american, japanese, oh I forget what else. She exhibited >hybrid vigour.
The _Time_ cover was done in 1993, which was very early days for CGI modeling
of that type. I would be interested to see it repeated with current methods.
After computing an average genome an image could be generated using one of
the algorithms developed to create a face from crime scene DNA. Such techniques
are also used in paleontology to generate images of Neanderthals and
Denisovians.

There have also been changes in the average American genome since 1993. I find
that the _Time_ cover reminds me of the actress Halle Berry as she looked in
that James Bond movie.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
J. Clarke
2019-12-03 02:13:13 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[...]
They used to light Halle so she appeared to be rather pale. Left me
wondering just what her ethnicity was.
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist