[translation] I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
2021-05-28 13:34:24 UTC
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
2021-05-28 19:13:26 UTC
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!

I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to
let a pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.

2021-05-28 20:11:34 UTC
On Fri, 28 May 2021 12:13:26 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to
let a pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
This is Japan--Western customs are a thin veneer tacked on top of
30,000 years of non-Western cultural development. Expect the
unexpected.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-05-28 21:01:01 UTC
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to
let a pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of
Pepe Le Pew.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
David Johnston
2021-05-29 02:14:31 UTC
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to
let a pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of
Pepe Le Pew.
Let's put in perspective. Lady Claire initiates their first contact by
say "How dare a commoner sit beside me! Learn your place." Rei reacts
by telling Claire she loves Claire and inviting her to bully Rei all she
wants.

On their second encounter Claire walks up behind Rei and knocks her down
with a shove followed by a sneering apology. She reacts by saying "THat
was wonderful! Despite being surrounded by lackeys you don't hesitate
to get your hands dirty. Your bullying is in a class by itself! I love
you!"

Claire reacts by going ahead of Rei and her friend and then waiting to
trip Rei. Rei reacts with more masochistic glee.

Claire switches strategies by stealing Rei's textbook, so Rei chooses to
interpret that as an offer to share Claire's textbook.

Claire tries to mock Rei for not having a phys-ed partner. Rei
interprets that as an offer to be her partner.

She dumps a glass of ice water on Rei. Rei reacts by hugging Claire
saying "please warm me up" and getting Claire's clothes also wet.

Claire put a flower in a vase on Rei's desk and Rei reacts by pressing
the flower as a keepsake. This, oddly is the worst thing Claire did,
because in Japan putting a flower in a vase on a student's desk is
something that Japanese high school students do when one of their
classmates _die_

Rei is not Pepe Le Pew because Claire is no innocent cat who had a
mishap with with a pail of pain. They eventually reach a point where
Rei is initiating contacts with Claire but that's after a couple of
weeks of Claire initiating encounters in attempts at petty cruelty even
though she has plenty of opportunity to figure out that she's messing
with crazy. Rei is more like Bugs Bunny in "of course you know this
means war" mode than Pepe Le Pew.

For the audience the appeal there is in seeing a "high school" bully get
foiled again again and the bullying victim triumph over the victimizer.
Magewolf
2021-05-29 20:06:03 UTC
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to let a
pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of Pepe
Le Pew.
Pepe Le Pew type characters are fairly common in Japanese media in the
form of insane stalkers or love interests who will not take no for an
answer.
Paul S Person
2021-05-30 16:43:17 UTC
On Sat, 29 May 2021 20:06:03 -0000 (UTC), Magewolf
Post by Magewolf
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to let a
pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of Pepe
Le Pew.
Pepe Le Pew type characters are fairly common in Japanese media in the
form of insane stalkers or love interests who will not take no for an
answer.
But are the tables ever turned?

They are in some of the cartoons.
2021-05-30 17:46:55 UTC
Post by Magewolf
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
I wasn't expecting that!
I thought that only heterosexual males were so sex-obsessed as to let a
pretty face lead them to overlook little things like their intended
being evil.
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of Pepe
Le Pew.
Pepe Le Pew type characters are fairly common in Japanese media in the
form of insane stalkers or love interests who will not take no for an
answer.
But are the tables ever turned?
They are in some of the cartoons.
That happened to Pepe in one of his cartoons. He was, as usual,
pursuing a female cat whom he'd mistaken for a female skunk (one,
usually, who has encountered some white paint and acquired a
white streak down her back). She flees, he pursues, vamp till
ready, until she tumbles into a body of water and acquires a
cold. Now she can't smell Pepe any more, and starts pursuing
him, while he panics and flees.

It's only one of the hijinks-producing tropes in classical-era
Warner Brothers cartoons: the male [$SPECIES] wants to pursue the
female [$SPECIES], not to be pursued. A related trope is that a
male [$SPECIES] can be successfully wooed by any individual of
any species, however minimally disguised as a female [$SPECIES],
until the wig drops off or something.

Consider the central sequence of "What's Opera, Doc?"
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
J. Clarke
2021-05-30 19:34:32 UTC
Post by Magewolf
[...]
And in that they show a far keener understanding of human behavior
than those who think that men and women are the same.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-05-30 20:23:26 UTC
Post by Magewolf
[...]
Men and women are the same, for some characteristics. And very
different, for other characteristics.

More to the point, it reflects the regrettable tendency of both
men and women to judge entirely on the basis of physical
apparance. However obviously faked.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jack Bohn
2021-05-31 14:46:10 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by James Nicoll
I'm in Love with the Villainess, volume 1 By Inori
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/girls-like-girls
More than any character in any form of fiction, Rei reminds me of Pepe
Le Pew.
Pepe Le Pew type characters are fairly common in Japanese media in the
form of insane stalkers or love interests who will not take no for an
answer.
But are the tables ever turned?
They are in some of the cartoons.
That happened to Pepe in one of his cartoons. He was, as usual,
pursuing a female cat whom he'd mistaken for a female skunk (one,
usually, who has encountered some white paint and acquired a
white streak down her back). She flees, he pursues, vamp till
ready, until she tumbles into a body of water and acquires a
cold. Now she can't smell Pepe any more, and starts pursuing
him, while he panics and flees.
Heh. I know two definitions of "vamp," basically from context:
1) Stall, with vaguely on-topic and vaguely entertaining actions.
2) Take seductive actions of the 1920s or '30s.

Hmm... checking a dictionary, it suggests they come from two separate sources:
Vamp: the front upper part of a shoe, which can be replaced (maybe?) as there is another vamp meaning a change that improves the appearance.
Vampire, which shortened to the noun "vamp," which vamps in the second meaning.

The library of Warner Brothers' cartoons were frozen in their references at the time they were made, but in production they kept up with the times, and Pepe was a fairly late addition to the troupe, so I'm guessing you meant the first meaning.
-Jack
Paul S Person
2021-05-31 16:25:52 UTC
Post by Magewolf
[...]
Indeed, and that's what I was thinking about.

But what I intended to be asking about was characters which "are
fairly common in Japanese media". Do /they/ ever get the tables turned
on them?
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
It's only one of the hijinks-producing tropes in classical-era
Warner Brothers cartoons: the male [$SPECIES] wants to pursue the
female [$SPECIES], not to be pursued. A related trope is that a
male [$SPECIES] can be successfully wooed by any individual of
any species, however minimally disguised as a female [$SPECIES],
until the wig drops off or something.
/Some Like It Hot/ has that continuing /after/ the wig (as it were)
comes off (at the end).
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Consider the central sequence of "What's Opera, Doc?"
Indeed.

Best. Cartoon. Ever.
2021-05-31 16:49:18 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
It's only one of the hijinks-producing tropes in classical-era
Warner Brothers cartoons: the male [$SPECIES] wants to pursue the
female [$SPECIES], not to be pursued. A related trope is that a
male [$SPECIES] can be successfully wooed by any individual of
any species, however minimally disguised as a female [$SPECIES],
until the wig drops off or something.
/Some Like It Hot/ has that continuing /after/ the wig (as it were)
comes off (at the end).
Yes, but Brown's character comes off (IMO) as a lot more just
plain daffy than actively bisexual.
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Consider the central sequence of "What's Opera, Doc?"
Indeed.
Best. Cartoon. Ever.
As I understand it, WB was shutting down the cartoon department
altogether, and the guys at Termite Terrace, realizing that this
was the last cartoon they would make,* said, "What the hell,
let's do what we want. What are they gonna do, fire us?" And
they pulled out all the stops.

_____
*For WB, anyway. Chuck Jones went on to greater heights, but I
don't know what the rest of the Termites did. (I should look
them up sometime and find out.)
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Paul S Person
2021-06-01 16:49:45 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
It's only one of the hijinks-producing tropes in classical-era
Warner Brothers cartoons: the male [$SPECIES] wants to pursue the
female [$SPECIES], not to be pursued. A related trope is that a
male [$SPECIES] can be successfully wooed by any individual of
any species, however minimally disguised as a female [$SPECIES],
until the wig drops off or something.
/Some Like It Hot/ has that continuing /after/ the wig (as it were)
comes off (at the end).
Yes, but Brown's character comes off (IMO) as a lot more just
plain daffy than actively bisexual.
That's what makes it /funny/: it is totally absurd.

And it is possible we have the censors to thank for it; that is, they
may have /forced/ it to go that way. Who can say?
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Consider the central sequence of "What's Opera, Doc?"
Indeed.
Best. Cartoon. Ever.
As I understand it, WB was shutting down the cartoon department
altogether, and the guys at Termite Terrace, realizing that this
was the last cartoon they would make,* said, "What the hell,
let's do what we want. What are they gonna do, fire us?" And
they pulled out all the stops.
Well, maybe. The story I heard was that the suits thought of each
cartoon taking the same amounts of time and money and other resources,
but schedules were jiggled and some were shorted while others were
enhanced.

Both could be true, BTW; mine in general for the better cartoons,
yours in particular for "What's Opera, Doc?".
2021-05-31 20:54:36 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Magewolf
[...]
People who persistently insist on pressing their affection on people who
don't want it and are in turn annoyed by someone else doing the same
thing to them are a standard part of love dodecahedron series like Ranma
1/2, Negima Magister Negi Magi,and School Rumble.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-05-31 22:44:59 UTC
People who persistently insist on pressing their affection on people who
don't want it and are in turn annoyed by someone else doing the same
thing to them are a standard part of love dodecahedron series like Ranma
I assume that's like a love triangle only much more so?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
J. Clarke
2021-05-31 23:33:40 UTC
People who persistently insist on pressing their affection on people who
don't want it and are in turn annoyed by someone else doing the same
thing to them are a standard part of love dodecahedron series like Ranma
I assume that's like a love triangle only much more so?
Googling, it seems that Ranma's relationships are convoluted even by
manga standards.
1/2, Negima Magister Negi Magi,and School Rumble.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-06-01 03:12:01 UTC
People who persistently insist on pressing their affection on people who
don't want it and are in turn annoyed by someone else doing the same
thing to them are a standard part of love dodecahedron series like Ranma
I assume that's like a love triangle only much more so?
Googling, it seems that Ranma's relationships are convoluted even by
manga standards.
Well, I haven't read the manga, but I have a couple seasons of
the anime on DVD. IIRC the entire male half of the student body
are pursuing Minmei, and the female half, similarly, Ranma (when
he's in male phase). It could get geometrically complicated,
yeah.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
David Johnston
2021-06-01 00:52:43 UTC
People who persistently insist on pressing their affection on people who
don't want it and are in turn annoyed by someone else doing the same
thing to them are a standard part of love dodecahedron series like Ranma
I assume that's like a love triangle only much more so?
Yes. They tend to start out with a simple love triangle but then add
more and more lines.
Paul S Person
2021-06-01 16:50:16 UTC
On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:54:36 -0600, David Johnston
Post by David Johnston
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Magewolf
[...]
So, that's a "yes", then.