[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] The War in the Air by H. G. Wells
2018-11-04 18:25:37 UTC
The War in the Air by H. G. Wells

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/up-where-we-belong
2018-11-04 23:26:21 UTC
The War in the Air by H. G. Wells
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/up-where-we-belong
I remember this from reading it some years ago. I suspect Lynn would
like it. :) Wells definitely made it clear in this book that he
believed it was "War will destroy civilization unless we outlaw war!"
This and a couple other of his lesser known works cemented my opinion
that Wells could write ripping yarns but he didn't know sh*t about human
nature.
2018-11-05 01:04:44 UTC
The War in the Air by H. G. Wells
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/up-where-we-belong
The only thing I retain from having read it is a bit of silliness with Bert and brother on the beach. That, and the 1908 date versus a certain 1903 date; information was not quickly or widely disseminated, even within the airplane industry of the time, such as it was.

The mention of Prince Karl Albert raises a question of how one can write near-future military fiction under conditions where the head of government (perhaps most sensitively, the designated enemy government) is known for the near future, even unto the next generation. I don't know what audiences of the time would have made of Karl. (On recently finding there was a London gangster "firm" in the '70s run by the Kray brothers, Reggie and Ronnie, my first thought was that the Monty Python sketch about Doug and Dinsdale Piranha was not pure freeform wacky invention.)

The quote, "the nation that most resolutely picks over, educates, sterilizes, exports, or poisons its People of the Abyss […] will certainly be the ascendant or dominant nation before the year 2000," may not be a racist as it appears. Wells and fellow progressives thought eugenics still had a role to play in the streets of London.
-Jack
James Nicoll
2018-11-05 02:02:02 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
The War in the Air by H. G. Wells
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/up-where-we-belong
The only thing I retain from having read it is a bit of silliness with
Bert and brother on the beach. That, and the 1908 date versus a certain
1903 date; information was not quickly or widely disseminated, even
within the airplane industry of the time, such as it was.
The Wright Brothers _are_ mentioned.

"You get anybody come along who does anything striking in this line, and,
you bet, he vanishes. Just goes off quietly out of sight. After a bit,
you don't hear anything more of em at all. See? They disappear. Gone
--no address. First--oh! it's an old story now--there was those Wright
Brothers out in America. They glided--they glided miles and miles. Finally
they glided off stage. Why, it must be nineteen hundred and four, or
five, THEY vanished!"

Presumably into offstage efforts to do what Karl did.