"Island in the Sea of Time" by S. M. Stirling
2021-02-21 04:45:51 UTC
"Island in the Sea of Time" by S. M. Stirling
https://www.amazon.com/Island-Sea-Time-S-Stirling/dp/0451456750/

Book number one in a three book apocalyptic alternate history time
travel series. This trilogy is the prequel to the fifteen book
Emberverse ("Dies The Fire") series. I read the well printed and well
bound MMPB published by ROC (Penguin) in 1998 that I bought in 2010. I
have ordered the second book in the series from Big River.

In the sudden blink of an eye, the island of Nantucket and its 6,000+
inhabitants plus a Coast Guard training sailing ship with a crew of 300
are transported back to 1,250 BC. Over 3,000 years in the past in the
same place. But every one outside of Nantucket is still the same in the
past.

So almost 7,000 people from 3,000 years in the future are now living in
the distant past. They no longer have the 7+ billion person support
system known as planet Earth. But, they have significant technology in
the form of ships, energy, improved metals (iron instead of bronze), and
of course, weapons. But, what they do not have are significant food and
fuel reserves.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (363 reviews)

2021-02-21 04:53:54 UTC
[...]
Lynn
This was an all night book for me, and my favorite Stirling solo.
2021-02-22 03:19:28 UTC
[...]
"Dies the Fire" was slightly better for me.

2021-02-22 04:02:20 UTC
[...]
I never started that series because the _Lest Darkness Fall_ concept
appeals to me a good bit more than the reverse -- Though I do like
Kate Daniels.

2021-02-22 23:53:38 UTC
[...]
Badass heroine adventure and romance in Atlanta after technology
has (most of the time) failed. People cope, they approach problems
rationaly, the country survives since after all it was designed as
a loose federation with slow communication.

I know I reviewed some. Ah, here's one:

==
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels) by Ilona Andrews

This is currently my favorite Urban Fantasy series, having displaced
Kim Harrsion's Hollows books after the lackluster last outing in
that series. To some extent Andrews has followed Jim Butcher's
Harry Dresden formula -- introduce the character, have a few
introductory adventures to build the supporting cast and get a feel
for the lead's capabilities and issues and then start to open up
the series "meta plot" as the character faces wider issues.

Kate is a very appealing, snarky character who lives in an intriguing
world where magic rises and falls in tides which have greatly
disrupted (but not destroyed -- people cope) our civilization.
Were-hyenas and vampires may roam Atlanta, but people still eat
grits and cornbread. For reasons that are finally becoming more
clear in this book, Kate has long been a loner, a mercenary who
solves magical problems, but in the first book she started to come
out of her shell, and that has continued over the next two books
and into this one as she gains friends and allies.

In my opinion, the love interest is well handled as well. It's
been obvious from book one what's going to happen, but Andrews is
in no hurry, and has been content to keep Curran as (a very effective)
supporting character rather than letting him drive out all the other
supporting characters. This lets Kate have satisfying emotional
connections apart from her supposed love interest (her final scene
with Bran in the previous book for instance) and differentiates the
series from "Supernatural Romance".

The ending of this book pretty much tears the veil off Kate's
self-imposed low profile and sets things up for a major confrontation
in the coming books.
2021-02-22 23:58:37 UTC
[...]
Thanks ! OK, I'll bite.

Grrr. ;-)
Magewolf
2021-02-22 21:52:31 UTC
[...]
The Peshawar Lancers is still my favorite. It is not his best written
book but it plays very well to my love of older adventure stories.
Ahasuerus
I thought that the first book was very nice, the rest of the series less so.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-02-23 15:59:29 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[...]
I would agree with that, but I still enjoyed the later books.
I like 1632 way more
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-02-24 04:13:33 UTC
[...]
I gave up on that one long ago when it started going sideways rather than
forward.
Chrysi Cat
2021-02-24 09:47:15 UTC
[...]
You complain about 1632 going sideways, but I'd suspect it still goes
forward (or at least, to a place people want to go) more than Emberverse
books after 8.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2021-02-24 13:32:39 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
[...]
Maybe so, but I've already said I'm not reading the Emberverse books.
Ahasuerus
2021-02-24 18:15:29 UTC
[...]
Well, the 1632 series is still moving forward, just ... slowly:

1 1632 (2000 by Eric Flint
2 1633 (2002) by Eric Flint and David Weber
3 1634: The Galileo Affair (2004) by Andrew Dennis and Eric Flint
4 1634: The Ram Rebellion (2006) by Virginia DeMarce and Eric Flint
5 1635: The Cannon Law (2006) by Andrew Dennis and Eric Flint
6 1634: The Baltic War (2007) by Eric Flint and David Weber
7 1634: The Bavarian Crisis (2007) by Virginia DeMarce and Eric Flint
8 1635: The Dreeson Incident (2008) by Virginia DeMarce and Eric Flint
9 1635: The Tangled Web (2009) by Virginia DeMarce
10 1635: The Eastern Front (2010) by Eric Flint
11 1636: The Saxon Uprising (2011) by Eric Flint
12 1636: The Kremlin Games (2012) by Eric Flint and Paula Goodlett and Gorg Huff
13 1635: The Papal Stakes (2012) by Eric Flint and Charles E. Gannon
14 1636: The Devil's Opera (2013) by David Carrico and Eric Flint
15 1636: Seas of Fortune (2014) [C] by Iver P. Cooper
16 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies (2014) by Eric Flint and Charles E. Gannon
17 1636: The Viennese Waltz (2014) by Eric Flint and Paula Goodlett and Gorg Huff
18 1636: The Cardinal Virtues (2015) by Eric Flint and Walter H. Hunt
19 1635: A Parcel of Rogues (2016) by Andrew Dennis and Eric Flint
20 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz (2016) by Rick Boatright and Kerryn Offord
21 1635: The Wars for the Rhine (2016) by Anette Pedersen
22 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught (2017) by Eric Flint
23 1636: Mission to the Mughals (2017) by Griffin Barber and Eric Flint
24 1636: The Vatican Sanction (2017) by Eric Flint and Charles E. Gannon
25 1637: The Volga Rules (2018) by Eric Flint and Paula Goodlett and Gorg Huff
26 1637: The Polish Maelstrom (2019) by Eric Flint
27 1636: The China Venture (2019) by Iver P. Cooper and Eric Flint
28 1636: Flight of the Nightingale (2019) [O] by David Carrico
29 1636: The Atlantic Encounter (2020) by Eric Flint and Walter H. Hunt
30 1637: No Peace Beyond the Line (2020) by Eric Flint and Charles E. Gannon

Personally, I stopped after the first volume. It was readable, but my notes say,
in part:

"As Eric admitted in Usenet posts, the setup is heavily romanticized in order to
make it more attractive to the readers, but even allowing for that the Mary Sue
factor is often off the charts. The whole thing comes across as wish-fulfillment
fantasy with a heavy dose of revenge fantasy. All characters, American as well
as German/etc, eventually agree with the MC because they are “practical” people.
... not as good as Stirling’s foray, but ... better than Christopher Nuttall’s _Second
Chance_ (2010 Britain -> 1940 Europe)."
Lynn McGuire
2021-02-24 19:59:28 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[...]
I thought that the second book, 1633, was excellent. But, I am a big
fan of David Weber.

2021-02-24 06:58:18 UTC
[...]
I read about five books into the 1632 series and let it go. Maybe some
day I will go back to it.

Lynn
The Horny Goat
2021-03-07 20:12:57 UTC
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 22:45:51 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
So almost 7,000 people from 3,000 years in the future are now living in
the distant past. They no longer have the 7+ billion person support
system known as planet Earth. But, they have significant technology in
the form of ships, energy, improved metals (iron instead of bronze), and
of course, weapons. But, what they do not have are significant food and
fuel reserves.
As I recall one of their biggest pluses was their 20th century
knowledge of where the most important ore bodies actually were
located.

As for the "Emberverse" that was the one where former SCA types did
rather well forging weapons and ranchers morphed into cavalry.
Lynn McGuire
2021-03-08 19:05:35 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
So almost 7,000 people from 3,000 years in the future are now living in
the distant past. They no longer have the 7+ billion person support
system known as planet Earth. But, they have significant technology in
the form of ships, energy, improved metals (iron instead of bronze), and
of course, weapons. But, what they do not have are significant food and
fuel reserves.
As I recall one of their biggest pluses was their 20th century
knowledge of where the most important ore bodies actually were
located.
As for the "Emberverse" that was the one where former SCA types did
rather well forging weapons and ranchers morphed into cavalry.
S. M. Stirling also wrote an excellent alternate universe book,
"Conquistador", where he did the same thing with natural resources such
as gold and California Condors.
https://www.amazon.com/Conquistador-S-M-Stirling/dp/0451459334/