YASID -Anyone eating a creature turns into one
mwsto...@gmail.com
2021-02-27 19:40:51 UTC
Istr a story about stranded spacemen who are foced to eat a native creature but find too late that anyone doing so eventually turns into a creature. One crewmen with a stomach disorder escapes because he has a special diet, but ends up eating a creature anyway because he doesn't like the diet.

May be Robert Sheckley but I can't swear to it.

Mike Stone - Peterborough UK.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-02-27 20:00:23 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Istr a story about stranded spacemen who are foced to eat a native
creature but find too late that anyone doing so eventually turns into a
creature. One crewmen with a stomach disorder escapes because he has a
special diet, but ends up eating a creature anyway because he doesn't
like the diet.
May be Robert Sheckley but I can't swear to it.
The title may be "Drop Dead."

And the punchline is, "You need to get out of here, because
otherwise a [creature] will come into camp and drop dead at your
feet, and you'll go crazy wondering which one of us it was."

If I'm right about the title (and I could so easily be wrong),
it's by Clifford D. Simak, and was published in _Galaxy_, July
1956. Maybe you can find a copy online?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Stephen Harker
2021-02-28 00:33:57 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Istr a story about stranded spacemen who are foced to eat a native
creature but find too late that anyone doing so eventually turns into a
creature. One crewmen with a stomach disorder escapes because he has a
special diet, but ends up eating a creature anyway because he doesn't
like the diet.
May be Robert Sheckley but I can't swear to it.
The title may be "Drop Dead."
I agree. I have it in the Collection _All the traps of Earth and other
stories_, Clifford Simak, second printing 1967. It meets all the pints
listed.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And the punchline is, "You need to get out of here, because
otherwise a [creature] will come into camp and drop dead at your
feet, and you'll go crazy wondering which one of us it was."
If I'm right about the title (and I could so easily be wrong),
it's by Clifford D. Simak, and was published in _Galaxy_, July
1956. Maybe you can find a copy online?
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45910 lists a number of other
collections in which it appears.
--
Stephen Harker ***@netspace.net.au
was: http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/
or: http://members.iinet.net.au/~sjharker_nbn/
Des
2021-02-28 21:40:08 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Istr a story about stranded spacemen who are foced to eat a native
creature but find too late that anyone doing so eventually turns into a
creature. One crewmen with a stomach disorder escapes because he has a
special diet, but ends up eating a creature anyway because he doesn't
like the diet.
May be Robert Sheckley but I can't swear to it.
The title may be "Drop Dead."
And the punchline is, "You need to get out of here, because
otherwise a [creature] will come into camp and drop dead at your
feet, and you'll go crazy wondering which one of us it was."
If I'm right about the title (and I could so easily be wrong),
it's by Clifford D. Simak, and was published in _Galaxy_, July
1956. Maybe you can find a copy online?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
That would seem to fit. It is on the Wayback Machine, presumably that means there is no copyright issue? It can be found by searching with the above details.

There was a similar story by Philip K. Dick, "Beyond Lies the Wub", summary on Wikipedia, but it was a single instance of takeover by the "meal"
Michael F. Stemper
2021-02-27 22:25:19 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Istr a story about stranded spacemen who are foced to eat a native creature but find too late that anyone doing so eventually turns into a creature. One crewmen with a stomach disorder escapes because he has a special diet, but ends up eating a creature anyway because he doesn't like the diet.
May be Robert Sheckley but I can't swear to it.
Mike Stone - Peterborough UK.
Hey, long time, no see!
--
Michael F. Stemper