063 The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, Book 3) by Lilith Saintcrow
2020-03-21 20:06:16 UTC
063 The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, Book 3) by Lilith
Saintcrow

OK, that's a snarky title, but like many of the other reviewers
here, I was very surprised by Dante's whiny interior monologue. It
got to the point where, in one spot, Dante even tells *herself* to
shut up. If the *character* notices it, it's probably too much!

I also think that Dante's adjustment to the new status quo with
Japh did not ring true at all. Yes, in an interspecies relationship
coming to understand that you can't expect a demon to always react
like a human makes some sense, but it has to be a two-way street
if it is a *real* relationship. In this book, the give was entirely
on Dante's side, and Japh suffered no consequences for jerking her
around.

I'm afraid also that the more I see of Dante's world, the less I
believe it. For one example: the whole "reactive-paint + plasgun"
conflagration thing. Apparently any time these two items meet, it
is equivalent to a tac nuke with "dirty bomb" aftereffects, yet it
seems to happen pretty frequently. Reactive paint is on vehicles
everywhere, and there seems to be a large group of plasgun carrying
psions. For another example, take the large scale dying out of
Christianity, Judiasm and Islam. That didn't ring true at all.
Just because psions can now perceive powerful entities they call
"gods" and it turns out that demons live in another dimension, that
doesn't say anything about God as taught by the Abrahamic religions.
The whole political setup seems kind of ramshackle too, and the way
the psions feel about the "normals" with their filthy minds isn't
a sign of a stable, healthy society..

Anyway, I enjoyed the first two a lot, so I'll keep on with the
next one, but this one was something of a disappointment. I hope
in the next one, something happens that puts Dante back in a power
position vis a vis Japh and her life in general.
Robert Carnegie
2020-03-24 18:57:32 UTC
063 The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, Book 3) by Lilith
Saintcrow
OK, that's a snarky title,
(You posted this review on Amazon under you own title
"This whine doesn't travel well..")
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
if you can "see" gods then they rate above the
invisible ones. I suppose that may not impress
"normals", but... do you also have every psion
doing miracles for their own non-religious reasons?