[tor dot com] Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)
2018-10-03 13:50:05 UTC
Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)

https://www.tor.com/2018/10/03/women-who-save-themselves-and-everyone-else/
2018-10-03 20:38:16 UTC
Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)
https://www.tor.com/2018/10/03/women-who-save-themselves-and-everyone-else/
Although not mentioned in your blog entry:

I remember glancing at the first few pages of The Oracle by Hugh Cook in a
second-hand book store. The main character lived in a mediaeval dictatorship,
and its tyrant imposed horrible penalties for rebellion. But the protagonist was
a woman who had survived a brutal sexual assault - and she was about to be
married off from the magical sisterhood she was in.

So the situation is that an unlikely hero gets thrust into rebellion, the last
thing she would have dared to do, because she has no options left.

Sounds like it will be in this category.

2018-10-03 21:07:27 UTC
Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)
https://www.tor.com/2018/10/03/women-who-save-themselves-and-everyone-else/
I didn't find the footnote straight away. I had to click
where it says, uh, "Footnotes".
Quadibloc
2018-10-03 23:23:59 UTC
I didn't find the footnote straight away. I had to click
where it says, uh, "Footnotes".
Yes, you have to click on the down-pointing arrow to reveal them. Since there's a
spoiler in the one footnote, I suppose that's legitimate. (However, if one is
going to do that, then the reader should see a mention that the footnote contains
spoilers.)

John Savard
Joy Beeson
2018-10-05 00:04:05 UTC
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 14:07:27 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)
https://www.tor.com/2018/10/03/women-who-save-themselves-and-everyone-else/
I didn't find the footnote straight away. I had to click
where it says, uh, "Footnotes".
And after that, I had to click "no style" -- probably because I booped
the print size way up in deference to today's eye surgery.

(Seems to be doing even better than the other eye -- so far.)
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-10-05 01:40:54 UTC
Post by Joy Beeson
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 14:07:27 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)
https://www.tor.com/2018/10/03/women-who-save-themselves-and-everyone-else/
I didn't find the footnote straight away. I had to click
where it says, uh, "Footnotes".
And after that, I had to click "no style" -- probably because I booped
the print size way up in deference to today's eye surgery.
(Seems to be doing even better than the other eye -- so far.)
Great!

I had a cataract operation on my left eye about a month ago, and
now it's 20/20 -- it can see better without glasses now than it
could *with* before.

Of course, the right eye doesn't see anything but blobby colors.
Joy Beeson
2018-10-06 01:21:36 UTC
I had a cataract operation on my left eye about a month ago, and
now it's 20/20 -- it can see better without glasses now than it
could *with* before.
Of course, the right eye doesn't see anything but blobby colors.
I can actually read with my right eye now. If the type is very large.
I'm not sure that I couldn't before, since I was never motivated to
try,

I'm not 20/20 in the left eye, but I'm street legal. The follow-up
doctor said I'll say "wow!" when I get glasses.

When my right eye was out of service after the first operation, I was
astonished at how much the low-resolution image had been contributing,
and not just to binocular vision.

https://www.avg.com
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-10-06 03:06:50 UTC
On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 21:21:36 -0400, Joy Beeson
Post by Joy Beeson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
I had a cataract operation on my left eye about a month ago, and
now it's 20/20 -- it can see better without glasses now than it
could *with* before.
Of course, the right eye doesn't see anything but blobby colors.
I can actually read with my right eye now. If the type is very large.
I'm not sure that I couldn't before, since I was never motivated to
try,
I'm not 20/20 in the left eye, but I'm street legal. The follow-up
doctor said I'll say "wow!" when I get glasses.
When my right eye was out of service after the first operation, I was
astonished at how much the low-resolution image had been contributing,
and not just to binocular vision.
I had an eyepatch on a while back, and when I was getting it checked and
removed I talked to my eye doctor about the way everything seemed much
worse than 50% and a bit dissociated with reality while I only had one
eye.

Eyesight, it turns out, is a flaky enough sensory input that the brain
works on a quorum system, taking the two inputs plus signal over time
and doing a bunch of work to associate them together before assigning
"yeah, that's definitely a real thing that I can see there" confidence
tags to objects that both eyes see persistently. Clever stuff. (LSD
seems to mess with this, which is also interesting but outside the scope
of this post)

So with only one eye your brain is always saying "Eh, maybe imaginary
imaging artefacts" on a lot of the stuff in your field of view. After
some longer time the brain gets resigned to the idea of only having one
eye to work with, and adapts so that monocular people aren't perpetually
a bit lost.

Fortunately I was only seeing like a pirate for three days, far too
short for that change. I'd be interested to know how it works for longer
term remediated blindness - after a month of one eye, does bringing the
other eye back online make everything seem double extra real?

Brains are funny things, making the best of a pile of squishy meat. They
do pretty well really.

Also, hurray for successful cataract operations!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
WWRD?
RWRTFM.