xkcd: 6-Foot Zone
2020-03-29 02:43:02 UTC
xkcd: 6-Foot Zone
https://xkcd.com/2286/

No, I don't stand in a place with a lot of horses. Or cows. They like
to play dominance games and stand on your feet.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2286:_6-Foot_Zone

2020-03-29 05:22:18 UTC
xkcd: 6-Foot Zone
https://xkcd.com/2286/
No, I don't stand in a place with a lot of horses. Or cows. They like
to play dominance games and stand on your feet.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2286:_6-Foot_Zone
I saw a video on BBC this evening demonstrating the six-foot
zone: "If you can touch them with a long-handled mop, you're too
close.)

I haven't been out of the house since Clockwork Alchemy was
cancelled, abput a week before it was due to open. (This would
have been about the sixteenth.) But the time is coming when I'm
going to have to go out to the pharmacy to pick up prescription
refills. I wonder whether I could write a letter "The bearer of
this letter is my husband, Wilson H. Heydt Jr., whom I authorize
to pick up my prescription for [$NAME]."

But there's one prescription I have to show up in person for, and
show my ID, because the FDA is understandably persnickety about
letting it go out.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-03-29 10:17:25 UTC
I haven't been out of the house since Clockwork Alchemy was
cancelled, abput a week before it was due to open. (This would
have been about the sixteenth.) But the time is coming when I'm
going to have to go out to the pharmacy to pick up prescription
refills. I wonder whether I could write a letter "The bearer of
this letter is my husband, Wilson H. Heydt Jr., whom I authorize
to pick up my prescription for [$NAME]."
But there's one prescription I have to show up in person for, and
show my ID, because the FDA is understandably persnickety about
letting it go out.
Give them a call and ask what the deal is. I know the US as a political entity
is being remarkably idiotic about all this, but individual pharmacies may have
a process in place to eg deliver to people at risk who are isolating.

I'm currently volunteering for the NHS to do exactly that, including checking
ID and taking payment if necessary.

Honestly, Hal really shouldn't be going out and doing the shopping - each trip
is a risk factor for you as well as for him. Get the kids to do it and drop it
off to you.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"For our younger readers -
books are hardened bits of the internet that have fallen off."
-- http://www.e4.com/wtf/ispot-games/?sheet=28
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-29 14:34:11 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Yeah, but this is the US and we don't have NHS. We're lucky we
have Medicare.
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Honestly, Hal really shouldn't be going out and doing the shopping - each trip
is a risk factor for you as well as for him. Get the kids to do it and drop it
off to you.
It's not that simple. We live in the same house, we in the
basement apartment and they upstairs. But Meg goes out to work
(legal services are designated essential) and Walkyr works via
computer upstairs and can't have Vincent bouncing around or
watching battle games on the TV. So he's downstairs with us, and
(God help us) we're supposed to be teaching him. And he doesn't
want to be taught. Hal is managing to teach him some math, but
as for reading a chapter of a book (Heinlein's _Space Cadet) every
day and writing a summary of it, all he puts out is illegible
gibberish, punctuated with complaints about having to do it. I
stand in awe of the teachers who manage to cope with him.

My father was a teacher (after he had to drop out of pre-med when
the depression of the 30s hit, which is just as well because he
had intended to be a psychiatrist), and -- according to my
mother, because I don't remember this at all -- he continually
told me I ought to be a teacher. (If he'd had a son, he might
have been the target of all this persuasion, but I was the only
child). Anyway, I resisted his hints, and a damn good thing too,
because I would have hated the job. But now I have it anyway.

Anyway, we can't be properly isolated from the rest of the
family. We wash our hands a lot, and Safeway now refuses to
touch our fabric bags, so they give us their supposedly reusable
plastic bags which immediately go into the recycling. So far, so
good.
2020-03-29 17:21:25 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
[...]
The checkers at the grocery store I go to won't use reusable bags, but
they /will/ put the stuff directly into the cart.

So, if the plastic bags are an annoyance, maybe yours would do the
same.

If you are getting too much stuff for that to be practical ... I
wonder what their reaction would be if you came through with /two/
carts, one full and one empty?

Some systems cannot be gamed. Most can.
It can't hurt to ask.
Carl Fink
2020-03-30 14:45:21 UTC
It's not that simple. We live in the same house, we in the
basement apartment and they upstairs. But Meg goes out to work
(legal services are designated essential) and Walkyr works via
computer upstairs and can't have Vincent bouncing around or
watching battle games on the TV. So he's downstairs with us, and
(God help us) we're supposed to be teaching him. And he doesn't
want to be taught. Hal is managing to teach him some math, but
as for reading a chapter of a book (Heinlein's _Space Cadet) every
day and writing a summary of it, all he puts out is illegible
gibberish, punctuated with complaints about having to do it. I
stand in awe of the teachers who manage to cope with him.
Thought: make the reading into an interactive drama. Let him read Matt's
voice, and you do the others and the textual parts. Make it a performance
piece--that might be more interesting. It also adds more educational
content (in the form of speaking and acting).

Thought 2: find an online book club for kids. Sneaky thought: try to find
him one that he's the oldest in, so he feels as if he has to set a good
example and be the leader.

I'm no expert on this. I was a science teacher, not reading.
--
Carl Fink ***@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com
-Kenne Estes
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-30 21:10:11 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
2020-03-30 21:51:25 UTC
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
The summer book club at the library would give us a certificate
for reading and reporting on x-many books. One year we were
able to earn a nifty replica of, IIRC, a Gemini space capsule.
(It might have been a Mercury craft.) You can be sure I turned
in enough reports to win that!

I would have read the books, anyway, maybe just not as fast.
The librarian told me to slow down and enjoy them more. :)

Kevin R
Carl Fink
2020-03-31 13:44:02 UTC
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
I don't know how old this child is. Would it be fun for him to report in the
form of a YouTube video?
-Kenne Estes
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-31 16:09:34 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
I don't know how old this child is. Would it be fun for him to report in the
form of a YouTube video?
Just turned twelve. And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube. His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).

Also, this kid didn't talk till he was four. He now has a
gargantuan vocabulary, but his pronunciation sucks; he mumbles
and gets annoyed if you ask him to repeat so you can understand
him. HE knows what he said, why don't we?
Alan Baker
2020-03-31 16:27:12 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
I don't know how old this child is. Would it be fun for him to report in the
form of a YouTube video?
Just turned twelve. And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube. His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Since Dorothy is no longer reading my posts, I'll just point out that
this is precisely what I find so frustrating.

"let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube".

She doesn't know how...

...and can't be bothered to learn.
Scott Lurndal
2020-03-31 16:32:34 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
There's a difference between "not interested in learning" and "can't be botherd to learn".

And if you don't have a camera, the ability to put something on youtube is
uninteresting at best.
Alan Baker
2020-03-31 16:41:52 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I've been down this road with her before.

"Can't be bothered is correct"
Post by Scott Lurndal
And if you don't have a camera, the ability to put something on youtube is
uninteresting at best.
A household of 4 adults...

...and you don't believe there's a single video camera...

...like say on a smartphone?

Please.
J. Clarke
2020-03-31 21:16:07 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
I don't know how old this child is. Would it be fun for him to report in the
form of a YouTube video?
Just turned twelve.
The Golden Age of Science Fiction.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube. His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
Alan Baker
2020-03-31 21:38:36 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube. His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
You aren't allowed to ask.

:-)
Dimensional Traveler
2020-04-01 00:31:39 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube.  His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
You aren't allowed to ask.
Dorothy can't eat pi.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-01 03:52:01 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by J. Clarke
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
You aren't allowed to ask.
Dorothy can't eat pi.
/snerk
For one thing, you can never finish it!

2020-04-01 21:38:06 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube.  His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
You aren't allowed to ask.
Dorothy can't eat pi.
There ain't no pi in our grocery stores anyway. The SARS-2 virus done
killed it off.

2020-03-31 21:38:54 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Well, today I had him read a chapter, and then we briefly discussed what
it was about, and *then* I told him "Now go write it down." And
he didn't complain much, and put together a fairly coherent
summary (based on what I'd told him; I'm willing to settle for
that for now). Next I'm going to take a look at all the words he
misspelled and have him write them several times.
I don't know how old this child is. Would it be fun for him to report in the
form of a YouTube video?
Just turned twelve.
The Golden Age of Science Fiction.
Well, he does seem to be enjoying _Space Cadet._

We have explained to him that it was written in 1947, and we know
about the Solar System than was known back them. He said he
realized that.

(I mean, his next chapter but one is going to be "Aes Triplex,"
in which the late crew of that ship discovered not only that the
asteroid belt used to be a planet, but the inhabitants blew it up
themselves. This may take some more discussion.)
And neither Hal nor I have anything to make
a video with, let alone knowing how to put it on YouTube. His
parents possibly could, but they work (his father in the
upstairs living room, his mother in El Cerrito).
Hal doesn't have a pi cam?
He just told me he does have one, which was news to me. Whether
he could upload something to YouTube, I have no idea.

(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
Carl Fink
2020-03-31 22:08:46 UTC
He just told me he does have one, which was news to me. Whether
he could upload something to YouTube, I have no idea.
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
Nobody in the house has a smartphone? They all come with the YouTube app
these days. Tap the little movie camera icon, and you're recording.

You can edit video right on YouTube these days, although it's not what the
pros do.

Maybe you and the grandkid could both learn something together, which has to
be more fun for him than being "taught," since he's clearly in a rebellious
mood. Him teaching it to you would probably be a fun time for him,
actually.

I wasn't meaning that he would become a famous vlogger. I just meant that
it would be a change of pace and a new thing to try. And add a new skill.
I'm a reader, but video-making skills will probably not be wasted when your
grandchild grows up.

I've taken graduate-level courses in which my professor wanted some of the
assigned work in the form of video for that exact reason.
-Kenne Estes
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-31 22:54:59 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
He just told me he does have one, which was news to me. Whether
he could upload something to YouTube, I have no idea.
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
Nobody in the house has a smartphone? They all come with the YouTube app
these days. Tap the little movie camera icon, and you're recording.
Hal and I have dumb phones that will do what Ma Bell used to call
POTS ... plain old telephone service. My daughter and son-in-law
do have smartphones which will take pictures, and if you tell me
every smartphone on the planet will upload YouTube, I'll believe
you.

The question remains, who would watch it?
Alan Baker
2020-03-31 23:22:02 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
He just told me he does have one, which was news to me. Whether
he could upload something to YouTube, I have no idea.
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
Nobody in the house has a smartphone? They all come with the YouTube app
these days. Tap the little movie camera icon, and you're recording.
Hal and I have dumb phones that will do what Ma Bell used to call
POTS ... plain old telephone service. My daughter and son-in-law
do have smartphones which will take pictures, and if you tell me
every smartphone on the planet will upload YouTube, I'll believe
you.
The question remains, who would watch it?
Hmmmm....

His teacher.

That would be the point.
Carl Fink
2020-03-31 23:23:03 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
He just told me he does have one, which was news to me. Whether
he could upload something to YouTube, I have no idea.
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
Nobody in the house has a smartphone? They all come with the YouTube app
these days. Tap the little movie camera icon, and you're recording.
Hal and I have dumb phones that will do what Ma Bell used to call
POTS ... plain old telephone service. My daughter and son-in-law
do have smartphones which will take pictures, and if you tell me
every smartphone on the planet will upload YouTube, I'll believe
you.
The question remains, who would watch it?
Hmmmm....
His teacher.
That would be the point.
I was actually just thinking "Dorothy and her family." YouTube is not just
an entertainment platform. It's also the video version of home movies.
-Kenne Estes
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-31 23:40:38 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I have no way of getting in touch with Vincent's teachers. The
school district sent us a questionnaire as to what
computers/network access we have at home, and we answered the
questionnaire, and that's the last we heard from them. If we
*had* the teachers edresses, we could ask them what they wanted
him to be doing. Absent any such information, we're rolling our
own.
2020-03-31 22:40:08 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Once you've got it in a file, and have a Youtube account, and any
recent browser it's one or two clicks.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
You never know. It will probably go viral and make him a major
celebrity.
Kevrob
2020-04-01 03:49:42 UTC
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
"Vincent's Quarantine Book Club" might take off.

Stranger things have happened.

Maybe the publishers would send him books to review!

2020-04-01 05:20:07 UTC
(My immediate reaction was If he did make a video and put it on
YouTube, who on this little globe would watch it?)
"Vincent's Quarantine Book Club" might take off.
Stranger things have happened.
Maybe the publishers would send him books to review!
No. His idea of a review is "then some other stuff happens."

Mind you, that's a frequent element of my plot outlines ... but I
do fill them in eventually.
2020-03-29 12:39:55 UTC
[...]
Just an aside, but my insurance requires me to use ExpressScripts for
all refills (I can use a local pharmacy for the initial prescription
or anything that ExpressScripts doesn't have)
<https://www.express-scripts.com/?r=www_medcohealth_com>. They'll
deliver a 3-month supply to your mailbox for a reasonable price.

With regard to someone else picking up, call the pharmacy and ask what
information needs to be provided. I used to do this for a friend and
found that the policy differs by pharmacy. He should be able to pick
up your controlled substance as long as you both jump through all the
hoops the pharmacy requires.
Chris Buckley
2020-03-29 14:29:43 UTC
[...]
Yes, I have had no problems picking up controlled substances for my
son at either a CVS or non-chain pharmacy as long as they know I will
be picking it up (via telephone call). I have had to show my ID not his.

Chris
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-29 14:42:03 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
[...]
Interesting. I shall have to phone them and ask about this.
Mark Jackson
2020-03-29 15:13:59 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Yes, I have had no problems picking up controlled substances for
my son at either a CVS or non-chain pharmacy as long as they know I
will be picking it up (via telephone call). I have had to show my
ID not his.
Interesting. I shall have to phone them and ask about this.
Methylphenidate is certainly closely controlled - new prescription
required every 30 days - but when I pick it up for our son there's no
more screening than when picking up any prescription: they ask for his
birthdate or (occasionally and) his address. We live in New York;
perhaps this varies state-by-state?
Nonrational logic will not go away. - David Byrne
Chris Buckley
2020-03-29 15:36:49 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Chris Buckley
Yes, I have had no problems picking up controlled substances for
my son at either a CVS or non-chain pharmacy as long as they know I
will be picking it up (via telephone call). I have had to show my
ID not his.
Interesting. I shall have to phone them and ask about this.
Methylphenidate is certainly closely controlled - new prescription
required every 30 days - but when I pick it up for our son there's no
more screening than when picking up any prescription: they ask for his
birthdate or (occasionally and) his address. We live in New York;
perhaps this varies state-by-state?
The relevant federal requirements:
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pharm2/pharm_content.htm

Federal FoodFederal Food and Drug Administration regulations require
that the label of any drug listed as a "controlled substance" in
schedules II, III, or IV of the CSA must, when dispensed to or for a
patient, contain the following warning: CAUTION: Federal law prohibits
the transfer of this drug to any person other than the patient for
whom it was prescribed. In addition, a pharmacist who receives a
prescription for a controlled substance must dispense that
prescription to the patient or a member of the patient's household. To
provide the controlled substance to anyone other than the patient or a
member of the patient's household is distribution, not dispensing.

So it needs to be a household member.

Chris
Mark Jackson
2020-03-29 15:51:12 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Chris Buckley
[...]
Methylphenidate is schedule II (moved from schedule III in 1971) and
bears the required warning. It's a matter of what the pharmacy is
required / chooses to do to assure that the prescription is going to a
household member. His pharmacy (Rite Aid, now a Walgreens) has never
asked to see an ID.
Nonrational logic will not go away. - David Byrne
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-29 20:11:47 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Chris Buckley
[...]
A-ha.

Saved to disk, thanks.
2020-03-29 20:10:58 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Chris Buckley
Yes, I have had no problems picking up controlled substances for
my son at either a CVS or non-chain pharmacy as long as they know I
will be picking it up (via telephone call). I have had to show my
ID not his.
Interesting. I shall have to phone them and ask about this.
Methylphenidate is certainly closely controlled - new prescription
required every 30 days - but when I pick it up for our son there's no
more screening than when picking up any prescription: they ask for his
birthdate or (occasionally and) his address. We live in New York;
perhaps this varies state-by-state?
It easily could. The prescription is Temazepam, generic for
Restoril. It's a sedative hypnotic, without which I lie awake
THINKING till one a.m. And the FDA lets it out at one month's
worth at a time, and I have to show my ID.
2020-03-29 14:35:42 UTC
[...]
This could probably be done for most of my prescriptions, but the
Temazepam is issued at only one month's supply at a time and I
have to show my ID.