“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
2020-01-09 22:05:35 UTC
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick

“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft. Now, CEO Elon Musk says the devices used to connect to the
micro-sats will look like UFOs, too.”

“The Starlink Terminal will look like “a thin, flat, round UFO on a
stick,” Musk tweeted on Tuesday, noting that users will just need to
plug in the device and point it at the sky to access SpaceX’s satellite
internet network.”

On a stick.

“On Monday, SpaceX successfully deployed its third batch of Starlink
satellites, bringing the total number now in space up to at least 172.
It has plans to complete upwards of 20 more launches in 2020 on the path
to its ultimate goal of 42,000 deployed satellites.”

These people have a plan.

Hat tip to:
https://www.codeproject.com/script/Mailouts/View.aspx?mlid=14817

2020-01-09 22:47:39 UTC
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft.
No professional stargazer would be that stupid. The relative motions
give it away instantly.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-09 23:44:21 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft.
No professional stargazer would be that stupid. The relative motions
give it away instantly.
I'm missing something here. No professional stargazer would
mistake them for *stars,* because of the relative motion.
Somebody just looking up at the sky might mistake them for alien
*spacecraft.*

I've mentioned already, have I not, the magnificent UFO I saw
once?

I was living in an apartment in Berkeley whose front door faced
west. I was standing on my front porch; the sun had just set and
the western sky was a glorious purple. Across the sky moved a
large ovoid object, dark against the sunset except for the
colored geometric patterns that traveled across it. (Note: this
was many years before CE3K came out.)

"Oh, wow," I had time to think, "They're here!"

And then the geometric patterns changed to letters, and the
lettering said, "GOODYEAR."

Some time since the last time I'd seen it, the Goodyear Blimp had
gotten itself all lit up.

It was a lovely moment, all the same.

As for Starlink, it keeps reminding me of the Archangel Network
in the third season of the rebooted Doctor Who.
2020-01-10 01:21:20 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I didn't have UFO experience like yours, but I did have one. When Iw
was in college one of the then famous UFOlogists gave a presentation
on campus. Among other things he had a rather compelling photograph
of a saucer shaped object, with an oddly shaped antenna on top. He
stated that this object had never been identified. Well, I saw that
object. But I know what it was, with certainty. On my commute to
work, I usually found myself stopped at a traffic light facing almost
straight down the main runway at the local airport. There was a DC-9
on the runway when I stopped. While I was waiting for the light to
change the DC-9 took off and headed off into the distance, fading into
the haze, until, by golly, there was that unidentifiable object.

That was the end of any faith I might have had in fuzzy photos being
evidence of anything other than incompetent photography.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-10 03:32:52 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
[...]
Somebody once asked Arthur C. Clarke if he believed in UFOs, and
he said, "No, I don't, and if you'd seen as many of them as I
have, you wouldn't either."
2020-01-10 18:59:08 UTC
Eternal September is claiming that there is something wrong with the
Subject header, which is not, of course, the one above (if it were
this would not be posted either) but rather:

Subject: Re: Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a
Stick””

Any ideas what it might be?
2020-01-10 19:26:52 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Eternal September is claiming that there is something wrong with the
Subject header, which is not, of course, the one above (if it were
Stick””
Any ideas what it might be?
The smart apostrophe and smart quote characters.
Paul S Person
2020-01-11 18:09:14 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Paul S Person
Eternal September is claiming that there is something wrong with the
Subject header, which is not, of course, the one above (if it were
Stick””
Any ideas what it might be?
The smart apostrophe and smart quote characters.
That's it. You have to get all three apostrophies:

Re: "Elon Musk: You'll Connect to Starlink With 'UFO on a Stick'"

works.
Juho Julkunen
2020-01-10 21:16:59 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, jclarke.873638
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
That was the end of any faith I might have had in fuzzy photos being
evidence of anything other than incompetent photography.
My faith was shaken early by a UFO "documentary" that offered up a few
(not too blurry) photographs of UFOs, stating that none of them had
been satisfactorily explained. I was rather young at the time (and
keenly interested in the UFOs), but I was fairly confident that one
featured a lampshade (my grandparents had one just like it), and
another a jellyfish.
Juho Julkunen
Paul S Person
2020-01-11 18:06:28 UTC
On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 20:21:20 -0500, J. Clarke
Post by Scott Lurndal
[...]
An article I read long ago revealed the story of a man who, 20 years
earlier, had been taken up into a flying saucer by aliens.

His proof? Five years ago, he sneezed and an unidentified something
came out of his nose.

Unidentified and unidentifiable, since he tossed it into the trash.

And waited five years to report it.

It isn't just the photographs that are fuzzy ... some of the brains
are too.
2020-01-12 04:37:36 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Well, tossing one's brains into the trash can do that.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
r***@rosettacondot.com
2020-01-10 17:17:21 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick��
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft.
No professional stargazer would be that stupid. The relative motions
give it away instantly.
I'm missing something here. No professional stargazer would
mistake them for *stars,* because of the relative motion.
Somebody just looking up at the sky might mistake them for alien
*spacecraft.*
Anyone who spends non-negligible amounts of time looking at the night sky
sees satellites...the motion is distinctive. The reaction is generally
either "cool, a satellite" or "oh great, another fscking satellite", depending
on whether or not it just ruined your photograph. Presumably digital
imaging has made things better...I've been out of that game for years.

Robert
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com
Paul S Person
2020-01-11 18:04:11 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stickâ€?â€?
[...]
I had an experience like that when I was at the Presidio of Monterey:

One night I was outside, looked up, and saw a round object with three
lights above me. It was awsome.

Then it moved lower down and landed at the airport across the bay.
What I had seen were the nose and wing lights of the airplane; my mind
had formed the circle.

But it was, to paraphrase you, an impressive moment.
2020-01-11 00:44:49 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft.
No professional stargazer would be that stupid. The relative motions
give it away instantly.
I don't think that professionals go by "stargazers".
Anyway isn't that a pie with fish?

I think it's happened before... a string or
formation of lights in the sky getting mistaken
for aliens arriving, when it's nothing but a fleet
of spacecraft getting launched.
Dimensional Traveler
2020-01-10 01:43:38 UTC
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
   https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft. Now, CEO Elon Musk says the devices used to connect to the
micro-sats will look like UFOs, too.”
“The Starlink Terminal will look like “a thin, flat, round UFO on a
stick,” Musk tweeted on Tuesday, noting that users will just need to
plug in the device and point it at the sky to access SpaceX’s satellite
internet network.”
You forgot the important part! "These instructions work in either
order," he added. "No training required."
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
Paul S Person
2020-01-11 18:07:28 UTC
On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:43:38 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
   https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft. Now, CEO Elon Musk says the devices used to connect to the
micro-sats will look like UFOs, too.”
“The Starlink Terminal will look like “a thin, flat, round UFO on a
stick,” Musk tweeted on Tuesday, noting that users will just need to
plug in the device and point it at the sky to access SpaceX’s satellite
internet network.”
You forgot the important part! "These instructions work in either
order," he added. "No training required."
And he might be correct ... plug & play has long since ceased to be
the joke it once was.

Then again, having to access a web interface to configure the thing
would, given my experience with DSL modems and network routers (if
that's the term I want), seem to be quite likely.

I suppose it will depend on what it is plugged in to.
p***@hotmail.com
2020-01-10 04:51:58 UTC
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft. Now, CEO Elon Musk says the devices used to connect to the
micro-sats will look like UFOs, too.”
“The Starlink Terminal will look like “a thin, flat, round UFO on a
stick,” Musk tweeted on Tuesday, noting that users will just need to
plug in the device and point it at the sky to access SpaceX’s satellite
internet network.”
Good marketing. The food vendors at the state fair have found
that you can sell anything if it's on a stick.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Lynn McGuire
2020-01-10 19:30:25 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Elon Musk: You’ll Connect to Starlink With “UFO on a Stick””
https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-musk-starlink-ufo-stick
“Stargazers have already mistaken SpaceX’s Starlink satellites for alien
spacecraft. Now, CEO Elon Musk says the devices used to connect to the
micro-sats will look like UFOs, too.”
“The Starlink Terminal will look like “a thin, flat, round UFO on a
stick,” Musk tweeted on Tuesday, noting that users will just need to
plug in the device and point it at the sky to access SpaceX’s satellite
internet network.”
Good marketing. The food vendors at the state fair have found
that you can sell anything if it's on a stick.
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
I figure that the stick and UFO looking receiver will fit in my one acre
backyard. Especially since I am ditching DirecTV and going totally
streaming.