[wfc] The Dragon Republic (Poppy Wars, book 2) by R. F. Kuang
2019-11-02 20:23:54 UTC

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/aint-demented
2019-11-02 21:43:21 UTC
The Dragon Republic (Poppy Wars, book 2)
By R. F. Kuang
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/aint-demented
Dragon. Poppy. Ah yes, this book was inspired by the Opium Wars.

"Readers interested in a comforting Mighty Whitey story may wish to look
elsewhere."

This all depends. If the Hesperians really are bad, and Rin is really the true
embodiment of the universal human values that the West currently champions, then
the story could still be positive.

But it sounds like it's aimed at the Game of Thrones market; lots of bad guys
everywhere, so as to allow for lots of violence, but no faction to root for that
will lead humanity to a shining Campbellian future.

Someone else will have to write the book about the Oreo cookies conquering the
galaxy. (That is, a book that looks progressive, because the colors of its
protagonists have been switched around, but which unabashedly celebrates the
victory of Western values over everything else, even if those values have new
custodians.)

2019-11-04 12:01:11 UTC
Bwah, ha ha
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-04 13:40:09 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
the story could still be positive.
Bwah, ha ha
Well, some people in the West, anyway.
Visitors from the East?
James Nicoll
2019-11-04 20:03:21 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
the story could still be positive.
Bwah, ha ha
Well, some people in the West, anyway.
The only people from the West we see are eugenics obsessed religious fanatics
who aren't mass murderers only because they haven't got around to it yet.
2019-12-05 03:43:34 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
the true embodiment of the universal human values that the West currently
champions, then the story could still be positive.
Bwah, ha ha
Well, some people in the West, anyway.
"I think Western civilization ... would be a marvellous idea."

Dave, interesting times, BAH
Carl Fink
2019-11-03 00:16:09 UTC
The Dragon Republic (Poppy Wars, book 2)
By R. F. Kuang
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/aint-demented
Just FYI, comments appear to be entirely turned off on your site, or at
least that review.

What's the significance of the symbol in the middle of the following
sentence?

"All the reader-beware warnings that applied to The Poppy War
~oOo~
apply to this volume as well."
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Read John Grant's book, Corrupted Science: http://a.co/9UsUoGu
Dedicated to ... Carl Fink!
James Nicoll
2019-11-03 00:21:51 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
The Dragon Republic (Poppy Wars, book 2)
By R. F. Kuang
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/aint-demented
Just FYI, comments appear to be entirely turned off on your site, or at
least that review.
I will pass that on.
Post by Carl Fink
What's the significance of the symbol in the middle of the following
sentence?
"All the reader-beware warnings that applied to The Poppy War
~oOo~
apply to this volume as well."
I put the break in the wrong place.
2019-11-03 04:27:27 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Just FYI, comments appear to be entirely turned off on your site, or at
least that review.
I will pass that on.
I have nothing against the Chinese people, even if I abominate the mainland's
current regime. This could be just an accident, but it could also be because of
an influx of racist comments.

John Savard
Juho Julkunen
2019-11-05 19:24:50 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Just FYI, comments appear to be entirely turned off on your site, or at
least that review.
I will pass that on.
I have nothing against the Chinese people, even if I abominate the mainland's
current regime. This could be just an accident, but it could also be because of
an influx of racist comments.
John Savard
Just how many did you leave?!
Juho Julkunen
Quadibloc
2019-11-05 23:07:30 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
I have nothing against the Chinese people, even if I abominate the mainland's
current regime. This could be just an accident, but it could also be because of
an influx of racist comments.
Just how many did you leave?!
I did not see the site when, or if, comments were ever open there. I just saw
that as one possibility; I comment on news stories, and I often see comments by
other people that are ignorant and racist even by my presumably low extreme
right-wing standards.

So even without an actual influx, they could simply have feared the possibility
of being burdened by having to closely moderate comments for racism.