"Barrayar (3) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
2021-06-01 22:36:17 UTC
"Barrayar (3) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781117/

Book number three of a sixteen book space opera series. However, some
people call this a military science fiction series. There are several
other books and short stories in the Vorkosigan Universe. This series
won the Hugo and Nebula awards for best series in 2017. Also, several
of the individual books in the series have either won awards or been
nominated for awards, this book won the Hugo for best novel in 1992. I
have read this book several times as it is one of my favorite books. I
reread the well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Baen
in 2016 that I just rebought on Amazon. The original MMPB was published
by Baen in 1991. I have rebought the next book in the series and may
buy them all again.

Aral Vorkosigan, husband of Cordelia Naismith, has been appointed regent
to four year old prince, Gregor Vorballa, by the current emperor Ezar
Vorballa just before he dies. The resulting regency does not make many
people happy and in fact the freshly married and pregnant couple are
attacked by discontents several times.

There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the pretender to
the throne, has started a civil war and taken the capital city of
Barrayar. Cordelia is anxiously awaiting the civil war to be resolved
by her husband, gets tired of waiting, and goes into the capital to
resolve the civil war herself. This is commonly referred to "Cordelia's
Shopping Trip" and is a legend in the SF community.

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (420 reviews)

Lynn
Martin
2021-06-02 19:27:55 UTC
There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the pretender to
Nitpick: It's "Vordarian". (Overall, a nice summary of the book.)
Lynn McGuire
2021-06-02 22:46:28 UTC
Post by Martin
There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the pretender to
Nitpick: It's "Vordarian". (Overall, a nice summary of the book.)
Sigh. Thanks !

You would have thought that I would have caught the Von* versus the Vor*.

Lynn
Andrew Love
Somewhere I have a button that says "My mother went shopping in Vorbarr Sultana, and all I got was this _bloody_ shopping bag"
-dsr-
2021-06-07 15:49:48 UTC
Post by Andrew Love
There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the pretender to
the throne, has started a civil war and taken the capital city of
Barrayar. Cordelia is anxiously awaiting the civil war to be resolved
by her husband, gets tired of waiting, and goes into the capital to
resolve the civil war herself. This is commonly referred to "Cordelia's
Shopping Trip" and is a legend in the SF community.
Somewhere I have a button that says "My mother went shopping in Vorbarr Sultana, and all I got was this _bloody_ shopping bag"
My wife has a shopping bag entreating the onlooker to shop at Vorbarr Sultana.

-dsr-

Christian Weisgerber
2021-06-06 00:12:47 UTC
There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the pretender to
the throne, has started a civil war and taken the capital city of
Barrayar. Cordelia is anxiously awaiting the civil war to be resolved
by her husband, gets tired of waiting, and goes into the capital to
resolve the civil war herself.
That is a misrepresentation. She ventures into the capital to save
her son. The rest is incidental.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2021-06-07 15:28:19 UTC
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Post by Lynn McGuire
There is an amazing sub-story in this book. Vondarin, the
pretender to the throne, has started a civil war and taken the
capital city of Barrayar. Cordelia is anxiously awaiting the
civil war to be resolved by her husband, gets tired of waiting,
and goes into the capital to resolve the civil war herself.
That is a misrepresentation. She ventures into the capital to
save her son. The rest is incidental.
The rest is overcoming obstacles to that goal.

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)