[tor dot com] Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
2021-09-22 14:08:37 UTC
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
2021-09-22 16:32:54 UTC
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
Nice to see a mention of Empowered. I followed that back when it was
only a graphic novel.

John Savard
pete...@gmail.com
2021-09-22 17:14:21 UTC
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
With super speed, there's two problems I never see addressed:

1 Flash would create sonic booms when he gets up to speed, and do so on the ground, not
miles up in the sky.

2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes, not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.

Pt
James Nicoll
2021-09-22 17:43:50 UTC
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
1 Flash would create sonic booms when he gets up to speed, and do so on the ground, not
miles up in the sky.
This actually came up! Flash's powers usually include being able to prevent
the occurance of shock waves. However, an attempt to restore his powers after
he was depowered temporarily gave him superspeed without that particular ability.
He didn't die but he did cause a lot of property damage before he managed to
stop.
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
2021-09-22 21:48:04 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-22 22:05:28 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Flash violates relativity in the Superheros show that my wife loves.
They time travel constantly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_Tomorrow

2021-09-22 23:28:07 UTC
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 17:05:28 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Flash violates relativity in the Superheros show that my wife loves.
They time travel constantly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_Tomorrow
I burnt out on DC TV a long time ago. I'm pretty much burnt out on DC
period. They had one shining moment of awesome and then couldn't
follow up on it.
Harold Hill
2021-09-23 15:47:55 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Flash violates relativity in the Superheros show that my wife loves.
They time travel constantly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_Tomorrow
I burnt out on DC TV a long time ago. I'm pretty much burnt out on DC
period. They had one shining moment of awesome and then couldn't
follow up on it.
Now I'm curious, what was that shining moment?
-Harold Hill
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2021-09-23 16:30:39 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
A very old school superhero movie. Good guys and bad guys, and in
the end, the good guys kick the bad guys' asses. Without any
intrespective angst to speak of, and without moral ambiguity.

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Lafe
2021-09-24 19:25:04 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Harold Hill
<snip>
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Harold Hill
Post by J. Clarke
I burnt out on DC TV a long time ago. I'm pretty much burnt out on DC
period. They had one shining moment of awesome and then couldn't
follow up on it.
Now I'm curious, what was that shining moment?
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
I was going to post this same answer. Outstanding movie. And possibly the
only thing I've unreservedly enjoyed from the DC tv/movie universe. Sure, it
could be criticized, but I enjoyed every moment of it.

I wish that DC could figure things out and produce more really great shows
from their IP.

Lafe
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-09-24 21:23:59 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Harold Hill
Post by J. Clarke
I burnt out on DC TV a long time ago. I'm pretty much burnt out on DC
period. They had one shining moment of awesome and then couldn't
follow up on it.
Now I'm curious, what was that shining moment?
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
I was going to post this same answer. Outstanding movie. And possibly the
only thing I've unreservedly enjoyed from the DC tv/movie universe. Sure, it
could be criticized, but I enjoyed every moment of it.
I wish that DC could figure things out and produce more really great shows
from their IP.
Lafe
They have, they do. It's just in animation.
Lafe
2021-09-25 01:06:31 UTC
<snip>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lafe
Post by J. Clarke
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
I was going to post this same answer. Outstanding movie. And possibly
the only thing I've unreservedly enjoyed from the DC tv/movie universe.
Sure, it could be criticized, but I enjoyed every moment of it.
I wish that DC could figure things out and produce more really great
shows from their IP.
Lafe
They have, they do. It's just in animation.
Oh. I admit that I haven't delved into their animation at all. Do you have
recommendations?

Lafe
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-09-25 03:42:02 UTC
Post by Lafe
<snip>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lafe
Post by J. Clarke
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
I was going to post this same answer. Outstanding movie. And possibly
the only thing I've unreservedly enjoyed from the DC tv/movie universe.
Sure, it could be criticized, but I enjoyed every moment of it.
I wish that DC could figure things out and produce more really great
shows from their IP.
Lafe
They have, they do. It's just in animation.
Oh. I admit that I haven't delved into their animation at all. Do you have
recommendations?
Lafe
Well, "Batman The Animated Series" is probably where it all begins.

The Justice League animated series was also good.

Currently the "Harley Quinn" series is a lot of (R Rated) fun.

Flashpoint and Justice League Dark are pretty good.

Even "Teen Titans Go!" can be brilliantly stupid in small doses
("Girls Night Out", "Pyramid Scheme"), when its not being stupidly stupid.
Lafe
2021-09-25 06:08:30 UTC
<snip>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lafe
Oh. I admit that I haven't delved into their animation at all. Do you have
recommendations?
Lafe
Well, "Batman The Animated Series" is probably where it all begins.
The Justice League animated series was also good.
Currently the "Harley Quinn" series is a lot of (R Rated) fun.
Flashpoint and Justice League Dark are pretty good.
Even "Teen Titans Go!" can be brilliantly stupid in small doses
("Girls Night Out", "Pyramid Scheme"), when its not being stupidly stupid.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to give them a shot.

Lafe
Paul S Person
2021-09-25 15:28:33 UTC
Post by Lafe
<snip>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lafe
Oh. I admit that I haven't delved into their animation at all. Do you have
recommendations?
Lafe
Well, "Batman The Animated Series" is probably where it all begins.
The Justice League animated series was also good.
Currently the "Harley Quinn" series is a lot of (R Rated) fun.
Flashpoint and Justice League Dark are pretty good.
Even "Teen Titans Go!" can be brilliantly stupid in small doses
("Girls Night Out", "Pyramid Scheme"), when its not being stupidly stupid.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to give them a shot.
Those appear to mostly be series.

For /films/, good ones include:

Batman: Bad Blood
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts One and Two
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League Dark: Apokalypse War
Justice League vs The Fatal Five

IMHO, of course.

There are lots of others, many of them worth watching once.
2021-09-25 15:19:14 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Harold Hill
Post by J. Clarke
I burnt out on DC TV a long time ago. I'm pretty much burnt out on DC
period. They had one shining moment of awesome and then couldn't
follow up on it.
Now I'm curious, what was that shining moment?
The first Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.
I was going to post this same answer. Outstanding movie. And possibly the
only thing I've unreservedly enjoyed from the DC tv/movie universe. Sure, it
could be criticized, but I enjoyed every moment of it.
I wish that DC could figure things out and produce more really great shows
from their IP.
Their live-action stuff is generally ... not that good. But the same
for Marvel's.

Their /animated/ stuff, though, various from drivel to quite good.
Sjouke Burry
2021-09-22 22:56:08 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Was he not from another solar system?
In which case he violated relativity.
Robert Carnegie
2021-09-23 14:13:05 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2 If he goes over about 20,000 mph (crossing the country in about 8 minutes,
not 'a heartbeat')
he's at orbital velocity, and could no longer keep his feet on the ground.
Flash's version of "A wizard did it" is "speed force".
It's all "a wizard did it". Flash violates the conservation laws and
Newtonian mechanics that I know of--I don't recall now if he's
violated relativity.
Was he not from another solar system?
In which case he violated relativity.
No, but a wizard did it.
<https://theflash.fandom.com/wiki/Mopee>
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-22 20:27:03 UTC
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
Next article: Micro Powers
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1982613416/

2021-09-23 16:03:54 UTC
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:27:03 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
Next article: Micro Powers
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1982613416/
Read that a while back.

Good Card juvie. Interesting situation, nice resolution.
2021-09-23 22:45:49 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:27:03 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
Next article: Micro Powers
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1982613416/
Read that a while back.
Good Card juvie. Interesting situation, nice resolution.
There is a sequel.

https://www.amazon.com/Duplex-Micropowers-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1799903176/

2021-09-24 15:31:34 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:45:49 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Paul S Person
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:27:03 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Five Superpowers That Just Aren't As Fun as They Sound
https://www.tor.com/2021/09/22/five-superpowers-that-just-arent-as-fun-as-they-sound/
Next article: Micro Powers
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1982613416/
Read that a while back.
Good Card juvie. Interesting situation, nice resolution.
There is a sequel.
https://www.amazon.com/Duplex-Micropowers-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/1799903176/
Was that, by any chance, at one point a planned YA novel named /Bully
and the Beast/?

I added it to my list; however, I have /no/ idea when (or if) I will
cycle back to catch up with Card again.

I'm currently catching up with Cherryh. And there are /lots/ of
authors after her.