BC: The Flat Earth Society
2020-05-09 20:48:46 UTC
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09

They still exist !

2020-05-09 21:33:49 UTC
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
And there's a meme (I think I have even seen it offered on a
T-shirt) that goes, "If the earth were flat, cats would already
have pushed everything off the edge."

I'm not going to google for it, but I bet there are still a few
adherents to Welteislehre.
Thomas Koenig
2020-05-09 22:29:47 UTC
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
Well, as it said on their website: They have members all around the
globe.
Lynn McGuire

2020-05-10 16:33:00 UTC
On Sat, 9 May 2020 15:48:46 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
The best /depiction/ of a flat earth I have seen was the one in /Gods
of Egypt/.
2020-05-10 16:57:45 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
The best /depiction/ of a flat earth I have seen was the one in /Gods
of Egypt/.
The one in _The Silmarillion_ is rather nice; it's shaped like a
ship, with fore- and afterdecks.
2020-05-11 17:44:51 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
The best /depiction/ of a flat earth I have seen was the one in /Gods
of Egypt/.
The one in _The Silmarillion_ is rather nice; it's shaped like a
ship, with fore- and afterdecks.
Indeed it is, but, of course, in his final re-write, it would have had
to go, as the Earth would have always been round.
2020-05-11 19:32:41 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
The best /depiction/ of a flat earth I have seen was the one in /Gods
of Egypt/.
The one in _The Silmarillion_ is rather nice; it's shaped like a
ship, with fore- and afterdecks.
Indeed it is, but, of course, in his final re-write, it would have had
to go, as the Earth would have always been round.
And eliminate that marvelous passage at the end of the Akallabeth?

"And those that sailed far came only to the new lands, and found
them like to the old lands, and subject to death. And those that
sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned
weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: 'All
roads are now bent.'

"Thus in after days, what by the voyages of ships, what by lore
and star-craft, the kings of Men knew that the world was indeed
made round, and yet the Eldar were permitted still to depart and
to come to the Ancient West and to Avallone, if they would.
Therefore the loremasters of Men said that a Straight Road must
still be, for those that were permitted to find it. And they taught
that while the new world fell away, the old road and the path of
the memory of the West still went on, as it were a mighty bridge
invisible that passed through the air of breath and of flight
(which were bent now as the world was bent), and traversed Ilmen
which flesh unaided cannot endure, until it came to Tol Eressea,
the Lonely Isle, and maybe even beyond to Valinor, where the Valar
still dwell and watch the unfolding of the story of the world. And
tales and rumours arose along the shores of the sea concerning
mariners and men forlorn upon the water who, by some fate or
grace or favour of the Valar, had entered in upon the Straight
Way and seen the face of the world sink below them, and so had
come to the laplit quays of Avallone, or veirly to the last
beaches on the margin of Aman, and there had looked upon the
White Mountain, dreadful and beautiful, before they died."

Edit that out? Eru forbid.
John W Kennedy
2020-05-11 21:23:27 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
He came to fear that it, and all the other more cosmic aspects of the
mythology, was too much for modern readers to bear. I should say that
time has proved him wrong, though it makes for a fascinating addition to
read of in HOME.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
2020-05-12 16:18:10 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Perhaps Eru did -- JRRT never lived to complete the project, which was
more of a complete re-write than an editorial hack.
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-12 22:18:33 UTC
BC: The Flat Earth Society
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2020/05/09
They still exist !
Lynn
When I first heard about them, a few years back.........

I wondered how anyone could be so dense.

Then....I realized it began as a joke, got picked up.......and those who argue with the are the dense ones.

[ but...then...I wondered how much fun it would be to expose a "real" flat earther to _Ringworld"_ ]