Matt Hughes to write Demon Princes sequel
-dsr-
2020-01-09 17:24:26 UTC
via File770, complete Facebook post from Matthew Hughes:

----

I’ve come to an agreement with Jack Vance’s son, John, that I will
be writing a sequel to Jack Vance’s iconic Demon Princes series. A
contract is being drawn up.

I’m not an outliner, but I’ve sketched out an idea for the story: a
young person, not sure yet if it’s male or female, returns to the world
called Providence and the community of Mount Pleasant. This was the site
of a slave-taking raid by the five megacriminals known collectively as
the Demon Princes, whom Kirth Gersen devoted his life to tracking down
and killing.

The returnee has escaped from slavery and come to reclaim the family
property – as well as something precious buried there.

But the ghost town has been repopulated by sinister people – I’m
thinking maybe a cult or some kind of radical political organization. So
my underdog has to undergo trials and tribulations.

I’m very much looking forward to this.

----

-dsr-
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-01-09 18:16:55 UTC
----
[...]
Well, the other non-Vance Vance _A Quest For Simbilis_ wasn't bad.

I hope Gersen has a role -- the finale left him in a rather bad place.
William Hyde

William Hyde
Quadibloc
2020-01-09 19:56:34 UTC
The Demon Princes novels were very interesting books. Since there were five Demon
Princes and five novels, though, they didn't seem like a natural for sequels.

Plus, there was one flaw in them: originally, the premise was that the five Demon
Princes were aliens in human disguise, and this premise was gradually forgotten as
the series continued. An element like that complicates adding a sequel, I would
think.

But given that the universe Jack Vance created for that series was an interesting
setting, the effort is worthwhile.

2020-01-09 23:09:09 UTC
The Demon Princes novels were very interesting books. Since there were five Demon
Princes and five novels, though, they didn't seem like a natural for sequels.
Plus, there was one flaw in them: originally, the premise was that the five Demon
Princes were aliens in human disguise, and this premise was gradually forgotten as
the series continued. An element like that complicates adding a sequel, I would
think.
But if one conceives it as not "a sequel, a sixth volume in the
existing series," but as "a new novel and/or series in the same
universe," that new novel/series could begin with investigating
the Princes' alien origin, and are there any more of them?

Note, I have not read any of these books; I'm speculating at
random.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-01-09 23:01:45 UTC
Post by -dsr-
----
[...]
Hughes is the only current author who I'd trust to get this right. How
splendid!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Imagine how happy you might be if you spent less time
imagining how happy you might be.