Cory Doctorow is getting himself in the news
2020-01-16 15:36:30 UTC
Seen on assorted newssites this morning:

Doctorow wears glasses that reflect infrared, to confuse
surveillance cameras:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/special-sunglasses-license-plate-dresses-juggalo-face-paint-how-to-be-anonymous-in-the-age-of-surveillance/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

And curses Apple:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/01/against-the-cult-of-apple.html

Me, I've hated the Mac ever since I had to use one at work. I've
already told the tale about how I called Cupertino and asked how
I could invent more "hotkeys" to the extent that I never had to
use the mouse, and the guy said in honest bewilderment, "But why
would anyone want not to use the mouse?
Joseph Hurtgen
2020-02-02 02:56:12 UTC
Doctorow is a genius. Not surprised.
Kevrob
2020-02-02 04:04:42 UTC
Post by Joseph Hurtgen
Doctorow is a genius. Not surprised.
"Seminal Indians" isn't a typo?

2020-02-02 09:57:15 UTC
Post by Joseph Hurtgen
Doctorow is a genius. Not surprised.
"Seminal Indians" isn't a typo?
Kevin R
If that's in an article that Dorothy cited, it may
have been revised since you saw it?

I'd suspect "speech recognition", "auto correct",
of "being smartass", since I gather "Indian" now must
be used only in the sense "from India".

Google reminds me that "seminal Indians" also occurs in
"Riders of the Purple Wage" (1967) by Philip José Farmer,
in _Dangerous Visions_; is that what you had in mind?
Robert Carnegie
2020-02-02 11:58:18 UTC
Post by Joseph Hurtgen
Doctorow is a genius. Not surprised.
"Seminal Indians" isn't a typo?
Kevin R
If that's in an article that Dorothy cited, it may
have been revised since you saw it?
I'd suspect "speech recognition", "auto correct",
of "being smartass", since I gather "Indian" now must
be used only in the sense "from India".
Google reminds me that "seminal Indians" also occurs in
"Riders of the Purple Wage" (1967) by Philip José Farmer,
in _Dangerous Visions_; is that what you had in mind?
Never mind; I caught up with -
<https://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Novel-Joseph-Hurtgen-ebook/dp/B07XVKJ9TD>

Upon investigating Farmer's SI group description as
"white neo-Amerind", that turns out to be a real-world
race category that apparently doesn't come in white.
Instead of re-reading all of "Riders" to see what's
going on (apparently around Los Angeles), I consult
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole> and learn
that "it's complicated", um, "race" wise.
Do most people already know this?
Paul S Person
2020-02-02 18:03:55 UTC
On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 01:57:15 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Joseph Hurtgen
Doctorow is a genius. Not surprised.
"Seminal Indians" isn't a typo?
Kevin R
If that's in an article that Dorothy cited, it may
have been revised since you saw it?
It's not in either article, either as "seminal" or "seminole".

Nor is "indian".

Just a random shot, I guess.