_The Infinite Sea: The Second Book of the 5th Wave_ by Rick Yancey
2018-04-07 01:07:28 UTC
_The Infinite Sea: The Second Book of the 5th Wave_ by Rick Yancey
https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Sea-Second-Book-Wave/dp/1101996986/

Book number two of a three book young adult alien invasion series. I
read the well formatted and printed trade paperback. I am reading the
third book in the series now.

This book is just about the most depressing SF book that I have ever
read. About 98% of the human race are dead and the last 2% are not
doing very well. Implanted humans are shooting all humans in their
assigned areas. The others are putting bombs in children of ages 3 to 5
and letting them loose in inhabited areas.

We spotted the Alien spaceship when it starting braking at Mars orbit.
Ten days later, it went into orbit around the Earth. It was the size of
Manhattan and circled at 250 miles up. All attempts at communication
failed. Then the waves started.

The first wave: an EMP blast worldwide destroyed all electronics and
electrical system. A million people were killed in planes and such.

The second wave: the others dropped a rock a mile wide into the ocean.
The resulting tsunamis killed half of the world's population who lived
within 60 miles of a coastline.

The third wave: the others infected birds with a highly contagious
disease with a 97% fatality rate for humans.

The fourth wave: the others implanted many of their kind into humans who
started killing unimplanted humans. Trust no one !

The fifth wave: ...

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (1,496 reviews)

2018-04-07 01:11:33 UTC
[...]
Sheesh. Thank you for letting me know about this so I don't read
it by mistaken.
2018-04-07 09:38:41 UTC
[...]
Lynn
Just to check: "the others" throughout means the space aliens?
Unless there's a twist and they aren't aliens. Since they seem
to wear human flesh like glove puppets, that's pretty alien-y.
If it's robots, do those count as aliens? It sounds like they
have agency but robots can have that, I expect. If the masters
are dead, for instance.

I don't see how we get out of this one, with the EMP presumably
killing all of the Apple Macintosh computers. Though there's that
(real) deep mine where they installed scientists with a neutrino
detector, they might still have one... for the graphic designer?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Neutrino_Observatory>
Lynn McGuire
2018-04-09 17:20:56 UTC
[...]
The EMP was just to kill off our tools. The tailored viruses were the
real nasty. And the implanted humans did serious damage to the few
survivors.

BTW, the others implanted certain humans with a nanocyte AI network that
overrode their personality.

2018-04-09 20:35:04 UTC
[...]
Is that what the aliens are, then? (And what humans still alive
understand that kind of science?) You said they implanted
"their kind" into humans. And does "overrode their personality"
mean a second implanted alien mind, or a brainwash attitude
adjustment?

And if they can do that and reproduce themselves in humans,
then what is the good to them of wiping humans out? Some implant
should contact the mothership and say, "There's this TV show
with aliens called The Borg. They keep conquered planets intact
and they "assimilate" the population. We should consider that.
Well, next time, I guess."

Perhaps the alien native form is birds, and they actually took over
the planet in the third wave and the apes didn't notice. And the
role of apes in the bird worldview is to poop on from high in the sky.
So some ape implantee could tell them, "These apes have a prophet,
he is called The Great Bird of the Galaxy..."
Lynn McGuire
2018-04-09 21:20:22 UTC
[...]
Most of the AI nanocyte implants were performed on the humans 20 to 50
years before the others arrived. And as babies so the AI nanocytes took
over their developing brain and nervous system also. The others had
been watching the Earth for over a 1,000 years before their 25 mile
diamater spaceship showed up.

The aliens are carbon based is all the book says. But the 25 mile
spaceship is just a huge AI. The others destroyed humanity because they
could. Maybe as a future living place, the book does not say why.

Lynn
-dsr-
2018-04-10 17:44:09 UTC
[...]
... so this is entirely an exercise in sadism?

- If they have all this technology, it's not clear why they want planets
at all.

- If they want planets, they could terraform them. Well, alien-form them.
They think a thousand-year mission horizon is reasonable.

- If they want Earth in particular, they could arrange for global warming
until the ecosystems collapse, then move in.

All the ancillary crap is just to be nasty about it.

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-04-10 18:57:59 UTC
Post by -dsr-
[...]
Yes, that was mentioned several times in the series.

2018-04-10 21:46:57 UTC
Post by -dsr-
[...]
Maybe some of their targets have effective defences against
some of these attacks. Would a water-dwelling civilisation
b troubled by a tsunami rock dropped in the sea? What if
the dominant species is immune to diseases from birds?
What if they've already discovered hypertronics and laugh
at an EMP weapon? (Whatever hypertronics is.) So maybe
the aliens go somewhere else then...