[OT][Map Projections]Speaking of XKCD (977)
2019-07-25 22:58:58 UTC
I came across

https://xkcd.com/977/

from a link on my web page as I was searching the Internet...

I recently updated my web site, adding this page

http://www.quadibloc.com/maps/mcf0704.htm

and I was hoping to add still another web page about *this* map projection

https://www.genekeyes.com/CAHILL_GALLERY/1976-Lee-Conformal.html

which is what prompted my searches.

John Savard
m***@sky.com
Thanks for the URL. I like the cube-gnomic, which I hadn't seen before. I also note that the Gnomic projection fits well into the xkcd "What your favourite map projection says about you" format - if you like the Gnomic projection you _really_ like great circle routes.
Default User
2019-07-27 20:40:29 UTC
As a kid, I'd really only seen the traditional Mercator map that they hung in classrooms. Then I happened to be looking at a globe and realized, "Hey, Greenland is really small on this."

Brian
m***@gmail.com
2019-08-04 00:40:07 UTC
What I do for a living! I'm a map projections (coordinate systems) expert for a GIS software company. We have 7 of the xkcd 977 projections, just added an 8th and you can emulate Gall-Peters with a different projection.

We generally steer clear of self-named projections because there are usually some rights issues. We added Fuller (the Dymaxion name is a trademark iirc) after BFI requested it and made it public.

Melita
Quadibloc
2019-08-07 20:09:58 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
What I do for a living! I'm a map projections (coordinate systems) expert for a
GIS software company. We have 7 of the xkcd 977 projections, just added an 8th
and you can emulate Gall-Peters with a different projection.
We generally steer clear of self-named projections because there are usually
some rights issues. We added Fuller (the Dymaxion name is a trademark iirc)
after BFI requested it and made it public.
I have a degree in physics, so I had the mathematical background to fool around
with this sort of thing, having had some interest after seeing the pretty
pictures in certain books about the subject.

Getting back to my map projection pages, I've made a number of minor additions,
but in some ways, I'm taking them to the next level - first by adding some more
sophisticated conformal projections based on elliptic integrals, and now I've
given the formulas for maintaining the conformal property or the equal-area
property for the ellipsoid - just in the simplest fashion of replacing the
latitude with an equivalent spherical one. (The "authalic" latitude for equal-
area; no doubt it has a fancy name for conformal too, and I'll encounter it soon
enough.)