For ANY Science Fiction fan
Add Reply
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-18 20:47:45 UTC

Default User
2020-05-19 02:12:18 UTC
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.

Brian
Alan Baker
2020-05-19 02:57:11 UTC
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
2020-05-19 04:36:37 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Again, the OP could save people time by explaining what it is. So that those not interested wouldn't waste the effort. To me it's just laziness.

Brian
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-19 04:46:03 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Again, the OP could save people time by explaining what it is. So that those not interested wouldn't waste the effort. To me it's just laziness.
Or, in my case, ignorance.

If there is a somewhat confident way to present it to the congregation, I would certainly do it that way.

Sorry if I frightened anyone.
Alan Baker
2020-05-19 04:57:10 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Again, the OP could save people time by explaining what it is. So that those not interested wouldn't waste the effort. To me it's just laziness.
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.

I don't even like OZMajor and I checked it out.
Scott Lurndal
2020-05-19 15:56:20 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Again, the OP could save people time by explaining what it is. So that those not interested wouldn't waste the effort. To me it's just laziness.
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
Lucky for you. My work system won't play video, and I don't have
time to waste following random links posted on Usenet.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-19 17:04:13 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
Lucky for you. My work system won't play video, and I don't have
time to waste following random links posted on Usenet.
Nice for you, that you're keeping busy while others are so bored
that they're watching the video equivalent of paint drying
2020-05-19 17:16:35 UTC
Nice for you, that you're keeping busy while others are so bored
that they're watching the video equivalent of paint drying
I watched a fascinating video of mud drying. What made it interesting is
it was under cold, low pressure conditions. Part of modeling why the
surface of Mars looks as it does.
Alan Baker
But you have time to waste TALKING about not having time to waste...
Paul S Person
2020-05-20 17:13:54 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Again, the OP could save people time by explaining what it is. So that those not interested wouldn't waste the effort. To me it's just laziness.
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
Lucky for you. My work system won't play video, and I don't have
time to waste following random links posted on Usenet.
Not to mention the intrinsic risk of doing so.
2020-05-20 05:11:13 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.

Brian
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-20 09:05:41 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.

Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.

There's also Rick Astley. I have nothing against him,
but if you're promised new coverage of an ageing star,
watch out.
J. Clarke
2020-05-20 10:34:50 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2020 02:05:41 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
They may but they're going to have to work at it. If you put
something on youtube that youtube's system can't convert into numerous
different video formats then it gets rejected. So to put a virus on a
youtube page somebody is going to have to figure out how to make it
look enough like a video that youtube's system will process it _and_
figure out a way to make the payload still function _after_ youtube
has processed it.

"Getting a virus from a youtube page" ranks somewhere around "losing a
fistfight with a gnat" in my list of things to worry about.
watch out.
Ninapenda Jibini
2020-05-20 16:13:00 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2020 02:05:41 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 11:56:47 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a
description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the
part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
They may but they're going to have to work at it. If you put
something on youtube that youtube's system can't convert into
numerous different video formats then it gets rejected. So to
put a virus on a youtube page somebody is going to have to
figure out how to make it look enough like a video that
youtube's system will process it _and_ figure out a way to make
the payload still function _after_ youtube has processed it.
Or just compromise YouTube's servers, which is about as (un)likely.
Post by J. Clarke
"Getting a virus from a youtube page" ranks somewhere around
"losing a fistfight with a gnat" in my list of things to worry
about.
Yeah, but even you are smarter than Bobbie.

Lynn:

Mike Van Pelt
2020-05-21 21:04:12 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
They may but they're going to have to work at it. If you put
something on youtube that youtube's system can't convert into numerous
different video formats then it gets rejected. So to put a virus on a
youtube page somebody is going to have to figure out how to make it
look enough like a video that youtube's system will process it _and_
figure out a way to make the payload still function _after_ youtube
has processed it.
Wasn't that part of the plot of _Snow Crash_ ? Except
it was a software virus that infected brains?
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-21 21:26:24 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
They may but they're going to have to work at it. If you put
something on youtube that youtube's system can't convert into numerous
different video formats then it gets rejected. So to put a virus on a
youtube page somebody is going to have to figure out how to make it
look enough like a video that youtube's system will process it _and_
figure out a way to make the payload still function _after_ youtube
has processed it.
Wasn't that part of the plot of _Snow Crash_ ? Except
it was a software virus that infected brains?
Van Vogt has something similar in "The Rull":

Jamieson refused to consider the last possibility. That way
was death, without qualification or hope.

Frowningly, he studied the visible damage he had done the
ship. All the hard metals had held together, so far as he
could see, but the whole bottom of the ship was dented to
a depth that varied from one to four feet. Some radiation
must have got in, and the question was, what would it have
damaged?

He had examined dozens of captured Rull survey craft, and
if this one ran to the pattern, then in the front would be
the control center, with a sealed off blaster chamber. In
the rear the engine room, two storerooms, one for fuel and
equipment, the other for food and--

*For food*. Jamieson jumped, and then with wide eyes noted
how the food section had suffered greater damage than any
other part of the ship.

Surely, surely, some radiation must have got into it,
poisoning it, ruining it, and instantly putting the Rull,
with his swift digestive system, into a deadly position.

Jamieson sighed with the intensity of his hope, and prepared
to retreat. As he turned away, quite incidentally, accidentally,
he glanced at the rock behind which he had shielded himself
from possible direct fire.

Glanced at it, and saw the *elled* lines in it. Intricate
lines, based on a profound and inhuman study of the human
nervous system. Jamieson recognized them, and stiffened in
horror. He thought in anguish: *Where, where am I supposed
to fall? Which cliff?*

With a desperate will, with all his strength, he fought to
retain his senses a moment longer. He strove to see the
lines again. He saw, briefly, flashingly, five vertical and
above them three lines that pointed east with their wavering
ends.

The pressure built up, up, up inside him, but still he
fought to keep his thoughts moving. Fought to remember if
there were any wide ledges near the top of the east cliff.

There were. He recalled them in a final agony of hope.
*There*, he thought. *That one, that one, let me fall on that
one*. He strained to hold the ledge image he wanted, and to
repeat, repeat the command that might save his life. His
last, dreary thought was that here was the answer to his
doubts. The Rull was alive.

Blackness came like a curtain of pure essence of night.
2020-05-22 05:49:59 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
Super-hypnotist Monterny inverts the process:

Tiff collected his wits. "Give up the fight, Monterny,"
he said. "Your fortress in Utah has fallen and your mutants
are in the custody of Perry Rhodan. You haven't the ghost
of a chance. The battleship of the New Power will arrive
here any minute now."
The icy-cold eyes smiled threateningly. "You are a
fool, young man. Do you really believe I let you approach
this close to my ship in order to listen to a lecture from
you? Are you seriously considering I would ever dream of
surrendering? You underestimate me and my intentions, my
friend. Maybe you don't know it yet but I'll let you in on
a little secret. I am quite capable-thanks to this television
contact-to ascertain your brain-wave pattern. Your name is
Julian Tifflor, right? And your two companions are Pete Maros
and Ray Gall. I'm sure you already have guessed what's going
to happen from now on: You'll do exactly what I order you to
do. All I need is a slight headstart. So in the meantime
you'll delay Rhodan's battleship a little. That should be
enough to find a hiding place for me somewhere in this solar
system. But please tell Rhodan for me that I'll return some
day. And not alone!"
Tiff's hand shot forward. The videoscreen grew suddenly
dark.
Then Tiff stared at the pale faces of his companions.
The same instant a mighty fist seemed to smash out his
conscious awareness.

The "Serenity" movie uses a "Rull" process as-is:

JAYNE
Reavers ain't business, double dickless.

This is all background noise to River, who has moved to the
CV screen, on which is a commercial. It's animated, goofy,
cartoon animals and anime-style Asian girls all transforming
to insane fantasy figures as they sing about:

COMMERCIAL
FRUITY OATY BARS, POW! HEY! FRUITY
BARS, MAKE A MAN OF A MOUSE, MAKE
YOU BUST OUT YOUR BLOUSE, EAT THEM
NOW, BANG! PING! ZOW! -- TRY
FRUITY, OATY BARS.

We push in, the light from the CV on River's face, pushing to
EXTREME CLOSE UP, all noise but the jingle fading out,
finally that as well, just the hum in River's ears.
And she whispers:

RIVER
Miranda.

She turns and looks back at the crowd.
What happens next happens very fast.
She strides silently to the first table -- two men drinking
quietly -- and she slams her foot into one's face, then whips
it back into the other's, knocking them both unconscious as --
people are turning, just registering that this girl --
kicks the table into a card player even as she sweeps a
bottle off it behind her -- the bottle hits a man behind her
square in the face, a man she never even looked at -- people
are rising, fleeing or pushing forward --

MR UNIVERSE
Friends and potential lovers, I

4DO
have good news and I have the other kind. Good is you're very
smart. Someone is talking to her.

WASH
The oaty bar?

MAL
Subliminal. It's a subliminal message broadwaved to trigger her.

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Alan Baker
2020-05-20 16:18:29 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
I was going to reply to this silliness...

...but it's been covered.
Kevrob
2020-05-20 16:31:22 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
I was going to reply to this silliness...
...but it's been covered.
It's much easier to put links in the description of the
video that lead to sites that distribute malware. Youtube
comments are a sewer, so if there are dangerous links within,
I'm not clicking, anyway.

Count me on the "it's polite to describe a link" team.

Kevin R
Alan Baker
2020-05-20 17:23:17 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP not to.
Or malice, as was covered.
Some day, someone will put a virus onto a YouTube
video page. This may be that day, so I watch
selectively.
I was going to reply to this silliness...
...but it's been covered.
It's much easier to put links in the description of the
video that lead to sites that distribute malware. Youtube
comments are a sewer, so if there are dangerous links within,
I'm not clicking, anyway.
Count me on the "it's polite to describe a link" team.
Kevin R
Count me in the "it's polite, but making a big deal out of it is
asinine" team.

This is a guy I've seen post for quite a while, and while I think he's a
bit of a jackass, I've seen no signs at all of malicious intent.
o***@gmail.com
2020-05-21 00:44:16 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
I'll agree with that.

....more like niavate....
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-21 07:55:29 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
If it's him. This post could be a fake.

And the attack through Youtube could be something
that exploits a video codec bug, or the dear old basilisk
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Langford#Basilisks>
or something nasty in the text description.
And if these attacks are difficult to pull off: good!
But I don't choose to extend my "attack surface",
as we smart alecks call it apparently.

And none of you noticed that the link is to youltube.com .

Actually it isn't, but were you sure?

<https://getcomputeractive.co.uk/protect-your-tech/fake-urls-with-cyrillic-letters>
for the irony.
J. Clarke
2020-05-21 19:29:04 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2020 00:55:29 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
It has to exploit a bug in the Youtube video codec that then delivers
a payload to a video that exploits a bug in the target video coded.

You don't seem to get that what appears on Youtube is not the raw
video that was uploaded. Youtube reprocesses it.
Post by Robert Carnegie
or the dear old basilisk
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Langford#Basilisks>
When someone demonstrates one of those in the real world get back to
us.
Post by Robert Carnegie
or something nasty in the text description.
Oh, horrors, somebody said something mean.
for the irony.
Alan Baker
Sorry, mate... ...but you're so wrong about this.
Ninapenda Jibini
2020-05-20 16:11:34 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
And it is literally 5 seconds to check it out.
I don't care. It is common forum courtesy to give a description
of a link. It's laziness or carelessness on the part of the OP
not to.
In this case, I disagree. It's neither laziness or carlessness, it's
just plain old stupidity.

Lynn:

2020-05-22 02:45:05 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Brian
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Because without a description it could be literally any video?
Plandemic, Planet of the Humans,...
With a description people can decide whether they want to go and watch it
Alan Baker
2020-05-22 02:52:01 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Brian
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Because without a description it could be literally any video?
It could be literally any video evn if there WAS a description.
Post by h***@gmail.com
Plandemic, Planet of the Humans,...
With a description people can decide whether they want to go and watch it
Or you could trust that a fellow poster might have something cool to
show you.
h***@gmail.com
2020-05-22 03:02:46 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
Brian
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Because without a description it could be literally any video?
It could be literally any video evn if there WAS a description.
Sure, but that's being an arsehole and there aren't many (if any) known posters who'd do that
Linking to a blind video we have no possible way of assessing whether it's worth checking out other than following the link
Post by Alan Baker
Post by h***@gmail.com
Plandemic, Planet of the Humans,...
With a description people can decide whether they want to go and watch it
Or you could trust that a fellow poster might have something cool to
show you.
They have something they think is cool
There's literally nothing that every science fiction fan would find interesting
A sentence or two saying what it is gives people information to decide whether they want to watch it

Note that I'm not accusing the original poster of any ill intent, he saw something he thought people would be interested in and posted a link to it
Peter Trei
2020-05-22 15:39:05 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by h***@gmail.com
Plandemic, Planet of the Humans,...
With a description people can decide whether they want to go and watch it
Or you could trust that a fellow poster might have something cool to
show you.
I'm definitely in the 'give a line of description' camp. It's just good manners.
The poster spends a few seconds to save thousands of readers (tbh, here, a dozen
or so) 30 seconds each to go to the page and wait for at least the title to load.

I think the shortest I've done is one word "relevant", but that was in a comment,
so there was an established context.

Pt
Mike Van Pelt
2020-05-27 21:48:35 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Alan Baker
Oh, come on: why in the world not?
Because without a description it could be literally any video?
Plandemic, Planet of the Humans,...
With a description people can decide whether they want to go and watch it
I don't have time to view a video right now, and don't want
the noise, but if I had some idea of what it was, and it
was interesting enough to me, I might save the link.
Moriarty
2020-05-19 03:18:36 UTC
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
As it was youtube, I judged the link fairly safe and followed it. It's quite a stunning display of two nebulae in the Large Magellanic Cloud, based on Hubble telescope images. YMMV.

-Moriarty
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-19 08:31:11 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Default User
Yeah, not following a naked link to a video. Try taking a few words to say WHY I would do that.
As it was youtube, I judged the link fairly safe and followed it. It's quite a stunning display of two nebulae in the Large Magellanic Cloud, based on Hubble telescope images. YMMV.
-Moriarty
Suit yourself, I'm here for the sex robots :-)

(Please don't share a link for that)
Quadibloc
2020-05-22 02:58:19 UTC
Suit yourself, I'm here for the sex robots :-)
(Please don't share a link for that)
I was thinking that I could joke that not _all_ videos in that category are bad,
and supply a link to a clip from the original Westworld movie...