Over The Hedge: fairy tales
2019-05-08 19:12:46 UTC
Over The Hedge: fairy tales
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2019/05/08

You know, Verne is not wrong.

2019-05-08 20:50:16 UTC
Over The Hedge: fairy tales
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2019/05/08
You know, Verne is not wrong.
Is Verne the name of one of the critters? The only Verne I know
of is Jules, and I can't see his relevance to this tale.
2019-05-08 21:42:40 UTC
Over The Hedge: fairy tales
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2019/05/08
You know, Verne is not wrong.
Is Verne the name of one of the critters? The only Verne I know
of is Jules, and I can't see his relevance to this tale.
Verne is the turtle.

Ahasuerus
2019-05-08 21:49:48 UTC
Over The Hedge: fairy tales
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2019/05/08
You know, Verne is not wrong.
Is Verne the name of one of the critters? The only Verne I know
of is Jules, and I can't see his relevance to this tale.
There was also Jules Verne des Voignes, the author of numerous non-SF
works and one speculative story. To quote
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/note.cgi?Author+157431 :

US author, primarily of non-SF stories. Also published "The Novelty
Circus Company" (1907), a juvenile non-SF novel, as by "Oliver Olney".

According to a biographical note published in "The Writer: A Monthly
Magazine for Literary Workers, Volumes 19-21" (1907), p. 138, he was
"of French-Swiss extraction, going as far back as his
great-grandfather, Peter des Voignes, who was a Swiss matchmaker. A
grandfather, who was an admirer of Jules Verne, insisted on completing
his French surname... Mr. Des Voignes obtained his A. M. degree at
the University of Michigan this year". This account is confirmed in
the article about L. Burget Des Voignes in "Portrait and biographical
record of Berrien and Cass Counties, Michigan" (1893), p. 472, which
includes matching biographical information about the history of the
Des Voignes family in Switzerland and then in Michigan, USA. It
mentions that L. Burget Des Voignes married Miss Allie M. Clapp in
1880 and that "[o]ne child has been born to our subject and wife,
Jules Verne Des Voignes". Years of birth and death from a photo of
the gravestone on findagrave.com. An obituary in "Orrville Courier",
March 24, 1911 reads: "The funeral of Jules Verne Des Voignes of New
York city aged 25 years, married, a son of L. B. Des Voignes of
Cassopolis, Mich., was held at the latter place Wednesday. Mr. Des
Voignes had gained a reputation as an author having contributed
frequently to magazines.
Gene Wirchenko
2019-05-10 02:03:04 UTC
On Wed, 8 May 2019 14:12:46 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: fairy tales
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2019/05/08
You know, Verne is not wrong.