Read in 2018
David Goldfarb
2019-01-02 01:13:23 UTC
January
The Will to Battle, Ada Palmer
Beneath the Sugar Sky, Seanan McGuire
Princess Holy Aura, Ryk E. Spoor
Cat Pictures Please, Naomi Kritzer

February
Cotillion, Georgette Heyer
Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror, Lawrence Watt-Evans
Stone Unturned, Lawrence Watt-Evans
White Sand, Brandon Sanderson
Against the Light, Dave Duncan
The Devil You Know, "K. J. Parker"
All Systems Red, Martha Wells

March
The End of All Things, John Scalzi
Good Guys, Steven Brust
Clockwork Boys, "T. Kingfisher"
The Wonder Engine, "T. Kingfisher"

April
The Collapsing Empire, John Scalzi
City of Stairs, Robert Jackson Bennett
Discount Armageddon, Seanan McGuire
The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage, Philip Pullman
Uptown Local and other Interventions, Diane Duane

May
Midnight Blue-Light Special, Seanan McGuire
The Flowers of Vashnoi, Lois McMaster Bujold
Six Wakes, Mur Lafferty

June
City of Blades, Robert Jackson Bennett
Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor
River of Teeth, Sarah Gailey
The Black Tides of Heaven, J. Y. Yang
A Natural History of Dragons, Marie Brennan
The Cloud Roads, Martha Wells
City of Miracles, Robert Jackson Bennett

July
The Serpent Sea, Martha Wells
In Other Lands, Sarah Rees Brennan
A Skinful of Shadows, Francis Hardinge
Akata Witch, Nnedi Okorafor
Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor
The Dark is Rising, Susan Cooper

August
Revenant Gun, Yoon Ha Lee
Artificial Condition, Martha Wells
Rogue Protocol, Martha Wells
Spinning Silver, Naomi Novik

September
The Human Dress, Graydon Saunders
Night and Silence, Seanan McGuire

October
Exit Strategy, Martha Wells
Space Opera, Catherynne M. Valente
Under One Banner, Graydon Saunders

November
The Delirium Brief, Charles Stross
The Labyrinth Index, Charles Stross
Skyward, Brandon Sanderson
Record of a Spaceborn Few, Becky Chambers

December
Swordheart, "T. Kingfisher"
Quillifer, Walter Jon Williams
The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan
Children of the Nameless, Brandon Sanderson
Foundryside, Robert Jackson Bennett
Half-Off Ragnarok, Seanan McGuire
The Wrong Stars, Tim Pratt

56 total

55 SF / fantasy, 1 "mainstream" (if you can call a Regency romance that)
Ahasuerus
2019-01-03 22:21:30 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
Of the 77 recent-ish SF/F books that I read in 2018, only one, _All
Systems Red_, is on your list. I guess it goes to show how diverse the
field has become.

Then again, the fact that I mostly read SF books that pique my interest
while I am working on the ISFDB may have something to do with it. They
are not necessarily very good books; many are selected to educate me about
certain niches that have become popular and need to be better covered
by our database: indie authors, LitRPG, "light novels", etc. I wish I had
the time/energy to read more mainstream SF, but the ISFDB leaves me with
very little free time.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-01-03 22:38:56 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
I just started reading Gardner Dozois' "Year's Best Science Fiction"
covering 2017 (presumably the last). In his Summation he writes that
Locus lists 2,694 books "of interest to the SF field" and later mentions
there were 396 new SF titles in 2017.
Ahasuerus
2019-01-03 22:55:56 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
It depends on how you define "of interest to the SF field". As I wrote a
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Every month Amazon adds up to 30,000+ new SF books to its catalog. It
includes short chapbooks, picture books, non-English books, reprints,
books without ISBNs, some comics/manga and so on. Still, it's an
impressive number.
The ISFDB stats pages show roughly 5,000-7,000 new speculative novels
published annually since 2010 and 11,000-15,000 annually published short
fiction works (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/stats.cgi?5)

Of course, our coverage is incomplete, especially on the indie side, but
we also include a lot of non-English titles, so our numbers are not
directly comparable to what Locus has.
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-03 22:59:08 UTC
On 1/3/2019 4:38 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
If one includes the self published books on Big River (Amazon), those
numbers are off by an order of magnitude of at least 10.

2019-01-04 01:48:38 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
You really think almost 4 trillion SF titles get printed each year? (10
orders of magnitude would add 10 zeroes after that 396.)

2019-01-03 22:54:25 UTC
<snip>
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by David Goldfarb
56 total
55 SF / fantasy, 1 "mainstream" (if you can call a Regency romance that)
Of the 77 recent-ish SF/F books that I read in 2018, only one, _All
Systems Red_, is on your list. I guess it goes to show how diverse the
field has become.
Then again, the fact that I mostly read SF books that pique my interest
while I am working on the ISFDB may have something to do with it. They
are not necessarily very good books; many are selected to educate me about
certain niches that have become popular and need to be better covered
by our database: indie authors, LitRPG, "light novels", etc. I wish I had
the time/energy to read more mainstream SF, but the ISFDB leaves me with
very little free time.
Your predicament pretty much mirrors my own. In a perfect world, there'd
be "Time Enough At Last" to read every single sf story out there in the
wild. All of it: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."
In reality, my time is limited. There's a ton of Perry Rhodans,
Robin Cooks, and miscellany already in my SBR that will take years for
me to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y read, God willing.

Don
Gene Wirchenko
2019-01-05 07:27:33 UTC
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:54:25 -0000 (UTC), D B Davis <***@crcomp.net>
wrote:

[snip]
Post by D B Davis
Your predicament pretty much mirrors my own. In a perfect world, there'd
be "Time Enough At Last" to read every single sf story out there in the
wild. All of it: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."
In reality, my time is limited. There's a ton of Perry Rhodans,
Robin Cooks, and miscellany already in my SBR that will take years for
me to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y read, God willing.
It would be a different world where one could not die until one
had finished one's SBR. Many would die instantly.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-05 20:03:22 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
Your predicament pretty much mirrors my own. In a perfect world, there'd
be "Time Enough At Last" to read every single sf story out there in the
wild. All of it: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."
In reality, my time is limited. There's a ton of Perry Rhodans,
Robin Cooks, and miscellany already in my SBR that will take years for
me to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y read, God willing.
It would be a different world where one could not die until one
had finished one's SBR. Many would die instantly.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
Then I will live forever as my SBR is growing.

2019-01-06 05:54:17 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
Your predicament pretty much mirrors my own. In a perfect world, there'd
be "Time Enough At Last" to read every single sf story out there in the
wild. All of it: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."
In reality, my time is limited. There's a ton of Perry Rhodans,
Robin Cooks, and miscellany already in my SBR that will take years for
me to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y read, God willing.
It would be a different world where one could not die until one
had finished one's SBR. Many would die instantly.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
Then I will live forever as my SBR is growing.
But, if you keep aging, you will suffer the fate of Tithonus
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus)
2019-01-03 22:56:36 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
Wow, I have only read three of these, my cousin's Incryptid books.

2019-01-04 01:45:59 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
Counting both audiobooks and conventional books:
(Note that I have a project of reading the Pulitzer winners and the
Hugo Winners going back from the I started the project to the
beginning)

January
Martin Dressler, Mllhauser
Redemption Ark, Alastair Reynolds

February
The Sportswriter, Richard Ford

March
Absolution Gap, Alastair Reynolds

April
Independence Day, Richard Ford
Blue Remembered Earth, Alastair Reynolds
Alita Vol 2, Yukito Kishiro

May
The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
Paladin of Souls, Lois McMaster Bujold
On the Steel Breeze, Alastair Reynolds

June
Poseidon's Wake, Alastair Reynolds
Neogenesis, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
All Systems Red, Martha Wells

July
Hominids, Robert J. Sawyer
A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain, Robert Olen Butler (note--has
some light fantasy elements)
The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin
Humans, Robert J. Sawyer
The Obelisk Gate, N.K, Jemisin
The Stone Sky, N.K. Jemisin
Hybrids, Robert J. Sawyer

August
A Call to Vengeance, David Weber, Timothy Zahn, Thomas Pope
Cold Welcome, Elizabeth Moon
City, Clifford D. Simak
A Thousand Acres, Jane Smiley
100 Fathoms Under, John Blaine
Raiders from the Rings, Alan E. Nourse
The Universe Between, Alan E. Nourse

September
Into the Fire, Elizabeth Moon
Rabbit, Run, John Updike
HMS Nightingale, J. A. Sutherland
Kris Longknife, Mutineer, Mike Shepherd
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
Rabbit Redux, John Updike

October
Uncompromising Honor, David Weber
Discount Armageddon, Seanan McGuire
The Space Beyond, John W. Campbell
Rabbit is Rich, John Updike
Midnight Blue-Light Special, Seanan McGuire
Half-Off Ragnarok, Seanan McGuire
Pocket Apocalypse, Seanan McGuire

November
Rabbit At Rest, John Updike
Chaos Choreography, Seanan McGuire
Magic for Nothing, Seanan McGuire
Tricks for Free, Seanan McGuire
The Crystal Variation, Sharon Lee, Steve Miller
Sparrow Hill Road, Seanan McGuire

December
The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love, Oscar Hijuelos
The Girl In the Green Silk Gown, Seanan McGuire
Breathing Lessons, Anne Tyler

50 total, 10 mainstream
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-04 18:15:27 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.

Lynn
David Goldfarb
2019-01-05 07:26:20 UTC
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
50 total, 10 mainstream
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.
These Heinlein books are literary/mimetic fiction, and not
SF? Are you having us on?
--
David Goldfarb |"My society worries about people getting their
***@gmail.com | hands on illegal drugs but they'll sell any
Ahasuerus
2019-01-05 16:44:19 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
50 total, 10 mainstream
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.
These Heinlein books are literary/mimetic fiction, and not
SF? Are you having us on?
I suspect that Lynn meant "Robert Heinlein is still mainstream
[science fiction]" as opposed to "mimetic fiction".
Lynn McGuire
2019-01-05 20:01:03 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
50 total, 10 mainstream
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.
These Heinlein books are literary/mimetic fiction, and not
SF? Are you having us on?
I have no idea what you just said.

Lynn
David Goldfarb
2019-01-06 00:47:11 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
50 total, 10 mainstream
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.
These Heinlein books are literary/mimetic fiction, and not
SF? Are you having us on?
I have no idea what you just said.
J. Clarke said he read 50 total books of which 40 were SF/fantasy
and 10 were mainstream fiction. You said Robert Heinlein was mainstream.
--
David Goldfarb |"We went to a movie, some monsters or aliens were
***@gmail.com |destroying New York as usual (this is LA's way
J. Clarke
2019-01-06 01:21:50 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by David Goldfarb
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land, Heinlein
50 total, 10 mainstream
Huh, I would call Robert Heinlein still mainstream.
These Heinlein books are literary/mimetic fiction, and not
SF? Are you having us on?
I have no idea what you just said.
J. Clarke said he read 50 total books of which 40 were SF/fantasy
and 10 were mainstream fiction. You said Robert Heinlein was mainstream.
Mainstream as in "won Pulitzer Prize or was prequel or sequel to
same", not as in "mainstream of science fiction".
Default User
2019-01-04 06:39:02 UTC
I read three of those in 2018 as well. Two in previous years.

Brian
Bice
2019-01-04 21:22:09 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
[...]
I'll play along, since for the first time ever I kept a list of
everything I read last year (I think it's the influence of lurking in
this newsgroup).

Everything on my list will probably be very familiar to most here,
since I spent almost the entire year continuing the quest that I
started in 2017 to read all the Hugo winners and their sequels.

January
Mark Clifton & Frank Riley - They'd Rather Be Right
Albert Camus - The Stranger (my daughter read it for college and
basically shamed me into reading it - I finished it in 24 hours)
Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man
A.E. van Vogt (finished by Kevin J. Anderson) - Slan Hunter
Robert Heinlein - The Puppet Masters (from "A Heinlein Trio")
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness
Robert Heinlein - Double Star (from "A Heinlein Trio")

February
Robert Heinlein - The Door Into Summer (from "A Heinlein Trio")
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Fritz Leiber - The Big Time
James Blish - A Case of Conscience
Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers

March
Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz
Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land (original uncut ver)
Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle (for the third time)

April
Clifford D. Simak - Way Station
Fritz Leiber - The Wanderer
T. H. White - The Book of Merlyn
Roger Zelazny - This Immortal
Robert Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
(If you're wondering where _Dune_ is, I just read it for the second or
third time a few years ago and have no interest in reading it again)

May
Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light
Dan Simmons - The Terror (a 300 page story hidden in a 700 page book)
Walter M. Miller, Jr (w/ Terry Bisson) - Saint Leibowitz and the Wild
Horse Woman

June
John Brunner - Stand on Zanzibar
(went on a cross-country roadtrip vacation where I was the primary
driver in June, so I didn't get a lot of reading done)

July
The Hugo Winners Vol 1 & 2 (short story/novella winners 1955-1970)
Larry Niven - Ringworld
Larry Niven - Ringworld Engineers

August
Larry Niven - The Ringworld Throne
Larry Niven - Ringworld's Children
Philip José Farmer - To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer - The Fabulous Riverboat

September
Philip José Farmer - The Dark Design
Philip José Farmer - The Magic Labyrinth
Philip José Farmer - The Gods of Riverworld

October
Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves
Arthur C. Clarke - Rendezvous With Rama
Gentry Lee (w/Arthur C. Clarke) - Rama II
Gentry Lee (w/Arthur C. Clarke) - The Garden of Rama

November
Gentry Lee (w/Arthur C. Clarke) - Rama Revealed
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Dispossessed
The Hugo Winners Vol 3 (short story/novella winners 1970-1975)

December
The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic (a 2017 Xmas gift
from my daughter that had been sitting around waiting to be read)
The Lantern Volume LXXXVII (2017-2018) (my daughter's college's annual
literary journal)
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War
Joe Haldeman - Forever Free (finished Jan 3, 2019)

So that's 45 books, 42 SF plus three that I'm not sure how to
categorize: the Haunted Mansion book (promotional material?), the
college literary journal (there was actually one sci-fi story in it)
and Dan Simmons "The Terror" (historical fiction with added horror
elements?).

That's probably the most I've read in one year since I was a kid, and
I probably won't top it until I'm retired and have more time to read.

-- Bob
David DeLaney
2019-02-05 07:35:22 UTC
Post by Bice
[I've read 20 of thpse and own some more]
I'll play along, since for the first time ever I kept a list of
everything I read last year (I think it's the influence of lurking in
this newsgroup).
I found out some time ago that I cannot mpractically do this, at least not
without displacing at least one of my OTHER obsessions, most of which are in
place to help me unwind and decompress which is bad, but also because the list
gets way too long. I know of no month since I _could_ read in which I have read
only 4 books...

[I think I've read 29 pf Bice's at various times]

Dave, reading while you eat lunch can help a lot with list length. having
things you regularly read on the Internet can push it the other way

ps: just re-read Sam's _Fine Structure_ at qntm.org this week. heartily
recommend both it and his _Ra_. realized recenty tat both technicaly count as
"planetary romance" for James while simultaneously being outrageous space
operas
2019-02-05 19:29:15 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Bice
[I've read 20 of thpse and own some more]
I'll play along, since for the first time ever I kept a list of
everything I read last year (I think it's the influence of lurking
in this newsgroup).
I found out some time ago that I cannot mpractically do this, at
least not without displacing at least one of my OTHER obsessions,
most of which are in place to help me unwind and decompress which is
bad, but also because the list gets way too long.
Since I switched over to almost all e-books, it's easier to keep track.
I just look at what is listed in Calibre, with the date of entry.
There's some ambiguity near the beginning and end of the year regarding
when a book was obtained and when read.

Brian
David Goldfarb
2019-02-06 08:13:29 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Dave, reading while you eat lunch can help a lot with list length. having
things you regularly read on the Internet can push it the other way
As discussed earlier, now that I am majority e-books I do usually
read while eating. I have a bunch of stuff I don't list: comic
book individual issues and collections, for example. Also subscriptions
to Asimov's, Uncanny, the American Contract Bridge League Bulletin,
the Bridge World; and also I keep up with File 770, rec.arts.sf.written,
selected articles on tor.com, and various other blogs and webcomics.

--
David Goldfarb |"If I haven't killed you yet, I'll take care of
***@gmail.com | it right away."