As I cross my fingers wishing for luck...
Add Reply
Miguel Farah F.
2019-07-10 21:33:01 UTC
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do? Would the Kzin
cross their claws? Would the squid beings pair off the suction cups from
opposing tentacles? Would the Bandersnatchi move their bristles so the
tips on either side would touch? Would the Mindenevians put their hands
near to each other, in a 60° offset, and straighten their fingers, to
form a six-barred enclosure with them?
--
MIGUEL FARAH // ***@farah.cl
#include <disclaimer.h> // http://www.farah.cl/
- Richard Martinoff
Juho Julkunen
2019-07-10 23:32:33 UTC
In article <qg5lic$1nhg$***@gioia.aioe.org>, ***@farah.cl
says...
Post by Miguel Farah F.
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do? Would the Kzin
cross their claws? Would the squid beings pair off the suction cups from
opposing tentacles? Would the Bandersnatchi move their bristles so the
tips on either side would touch? Would the Mindenevians put their hands
near to each other, in a 60° offset, and straighten their fingers, to
form a six-barred enclosure with them?
Depends on if you are asking how they would perform an approximation of
the physical gesture, or how they would wish for luck. The sample space
for the latter is large.
Juho Julkunen
Miguel Farah F.
2019-07-11 15:09:40 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
says...
Post by Miguel Farah F.
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do? Would the Kzin
cross their claws? Would the squid beings pair off the suction cups from
opposing tentacles? Would the Bandersnatchi move their bristles so the
tips on either side would touch? Would the Mindenevians put their hands
near to each other, in a 60° offset, and straighten their fingers, to
form a six-barred enclosure with them?
Depends on if you are asking how they would perform an approximation of
the physical gesture, or how they would wish for luck. The sample space
for the latter is large.
The latter, of course. I don't think even the Bandersnatchi would equate
their bristels to Human's hands. :-D
--
MIGUEL FARAH // ***@farah.cl
#include <disclaimer.h> // http://www.farah.cl/
<*>
"One man's constant is another man's variable."
- Alan J. Perlis
Default User
2019-07-11 18:59:09 UTC
Post by Miguel Farah F.
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do?
How common is the gesture even among human societies? Not to mention individuals within. I've never done it, personally, although of course I've heard of it. Nor the other use, negating a lie.

Brian
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-07-11 20:09:24 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Miguel Farah F.
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do?
How common is the gesture even among human societies? Not to mention
individuals within. I've never done it, personally, although of course
I've heard of it. Nor the other use, negating a lie.
I've crossed my fingers for luck, mostly as a gesture, holding up
the crossed fingers so whoever I'm talking to can see it, "I wish
[you, me, him, us] luck...". I never thought it would have any effect
one way or another.

It would be interesting to make a worldwide survey and see
whether cross-fingers-for-luck is known at all in cultures that
have had little or no contact with Christianity.
2019-07-16 11:56:10 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Miguel Farah F.
... for acceptance of a certain text by a certain company, it crosses my
mind: what would members of other sentient species do?
How common is the gesture even among human societies? Not to mention
individuals within. I've never done it, personally, although of course I've
heard of it. Nor the other use, negating a lie.
Neuropathy and subsequent joint stiffening/weirdness means I can't do it any
more, not without actually taking the fingers amd positioning them correctly.

Dave, this may be related to my current luck level